Previous   Next

What would be a good service project for Lawrence public school students to honor Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on January 14, 2005

Browse the archives

“To volunteer at the Lawrence Open Shelter, Community Drop-In Center or at LINK.”

“A mural would be a great idea.”

“They should start a beautification program in some of the lower income neighborhoods in Lawrence.”

“I think the older students should prepare some sort of interactive presentation for the younger students. Then they would both be learning.”

Comments

italianprincess 10 years, 5 months ago

Since I teach preschoolers here at home I have like every year planned a special day for Monday.

Every year for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday we read stories about him, watch a animated movie and do an art project. I love teaching them about famous people and Dr. King Jr was an man that even my preschoolers should know about. We also look at pictures I have collected through out of the years and the children always have so many questions to ask.

Teaching children about Martin Luther King Jr. gives me the satisfaction that I have shared something with them that they can take with them and teach someone else.

Punkin 10 years, 5 months ago

We have a holiday that celebrates GW Bush--it's called April Fool's Day!

pencer863 10 years, 5 months ago

We could start by learning more about Dr. King, and that includes more than public school students. Our knowledge of what he stood for is, in general, rather narrow. Near the end of his life, Dr. King took increasingly strong stands for economic justice in this country. He knew that integration wasn't enough, and that racism is built into the structure of our economy. He called for a revolution of values to eliminate militarism, greed, and poverty. King was far more radical--and for me, that is a positive word--than people realize, and so was Rosa Parks.

That the leaders of this country tried to stop King must never be forgotten. That includes Robert Kennedy, who approved wiretaps as Attorney General, and J. Edgar Hoover, who painted King as a Communist.

If King were here today, he would put our anti-Muslim hysteria into perspective. FOX News and others would paint him as a terrorist sympathizer, because King would point to the roots of terrorism.

Today on the news, I was hearing about the so-called Gingrich revolution of 10 years ago. Remember that revolution? Neither do I, because it wasn't one. Most of the people who voted for the Contract with America didn't even know what it was about. They were mad at Clinton, and wanted something new and improved.

I bring up that BS revolution because I don't like people throwing around words like revolution casually. King was a true revolutionary, however. He put his life on the line for justice and peace for all Americans.

Last but not least, if we knew more about King, we'd be able to silence the conservatives who twist King's words to justify their own opposition to Affirmative Action and other programs designed to erode institutional racism.

ms_canada 10 years, 5 months ago

captain - does my name not give you a clue? I have been posting on this forum for quite a while now. and as for you hong kong, I don't know why you take such exception to my bad mouthing, it seems to me that you yanks do enough self-bad-mouthing. The battles that go on here on this forum are at times rather amusing and at other times quite disgusting. I don't think you understood my post today at all. read it again. Better yet, go to the wash. post and read the article about the cut to HUD programs. Why do you people defend a gov. that has such little regard for your poor and homeless? and as for Canada not contributing to those in need in the world, do you know what percentage of your population our population is? I believe we give proportionately. I am extremely proud of what my country contributes in this world. I could recite a long list of things that we do for others. But this forum has a limit to words. bunE, you sound like a sweetheart. Thanks.

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 5 months ago

Consumer 1 and kns..both of you said it all.

ms_canada 10 years, 5 months ago

"The White House will seek to drastically shrink the HUD's $8 billion community branch, purging dozens of economic development projects, scrapping a rural housing program and folding high profile anti-poverty efforts...." Wash.post. Jan.14 Perhaps a good project for MLK Day would be to have students carry protest placards and collection cans for funds to carry on the above efforts. I'll just bet these would be high on the list of activities of Dr. MLK if he were around today.

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 5 months ago

Back to what kns said...its so true and it kind of makes you miss the "age of innocence" back then. We just can't have many heros anymore because somebody somewhere is always willing to dig and sling some dirt somewhere along the line. I don't mean that we shouldn't know if somebody has done something really really bad. But I also don't think we always have to know about every dirty little fact about their whole life either.

captain_poindexter 10 years, 5 months ago

That was pretty funny punkin. Lame, but funny.

Quick question: "ms canada, where are you from?" Simple question, don't look into it too much.

MLK, Jr. fought and stands for equality.

It's not about protests, not about hollering at each other or shouting down the opposition.

I think its the one time a year that we can all treat each other as equals.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years, 5 months ago

"Ms Canada" if the only thing you feel you can contribute to this list is to bad mouth the United States, perhaps you should seek life elsewhere. As far as I can tell, Canada doesn't do a damn thing for people in the world. I guarantee that the US has given more money in aid to countries around the world than Canada has, and probably Europe for that matter. Plus, we at least take a stand on things. If you friggin canadians don't like the way we do business, why don't you pony up and contribute a little more!

BunE 10 years, 5 months ago

Oh my god! But for the swipe at Ms Canada , I agree with the Captain. Well said!

Hong Kong Phooey, If any one wants to bad mouth the United States, Aren't we big enough to take it? Ms. Canada can speak out against this country (lord knows we we have our share of warts). It seems to me that she has contributed a great deal, ponying up and taking a stand on things.

The love it or leave it argument is old and stale and really quite silly.

You are, however "a numberone super guy"

TheBowman 10 years, 5 months ago

There is this common idea and misconception that Martin Luther King's legacy is one just for black people. Anyone who accepts this is sadly mistaken.

His legacy is firstly, an American legacy, in that, his focus was to end the rifts that separated people by race and class, and secondly, a humanist legacy, in that, his focus went beyond the rifts in this country, but in the world.

I must note that if the actions promoted by King and others who pursued a moderate path in the 1960s were not pursued and inacted, this country would haved up like Bosnia, with a myriad of tribes locked in an endless, capricious orgy of death.

I have to take note that there is this free-floating mentality that the ills that prevade the black community and other communities come from the lack of a presence of someone like King. This perceived void leads others to rally around an anti-semitic closet Nazi like Louis Farrakhan.

The truth is this, you lead yourself, then you can lead others. The leadership should be beyond this intellectually constipated, culturally myopic worldview that is currently infesting mankind.

If no one chooses to do this, remembering King is total waste of time. In the end, to convolute Nietzsche, we wind up proud of our culture, but no better that a bleating herd of goats.

That's all I have to about that.

wichita_reader 10 years, 5 months ago

I would agree with the Captain as well, except with respect to his statement that "it's not about protests." The good Dr. King was very much about protesting injustice, albeit non-violently.

captain_poindexter 10 years, 5 months ago

You don't get my point, wichita_reader. Only a fool wouldn't realize that MLK was an active protester - that was the only way people would listen. And I'm glad he did it.

What Monday isn't about is protests. Speak about equality, speak about opportunity - the issues these days are too complex to "protest."

Back in the day it was simple - Black folks = white folks = Americans = you get it....

Sorry for the confusion.

wichita_reader 10 years, 5 months ago

Captain:

I would agree with your analysis that many of today's issues are complex, but still believe civil disobedience and protest plays the important role in a democracy of access to communication channels. Cut off or fail to utilize those channels of mass communication, and you stem or fail to provide the full spectrum of popular views and debate, which in my humble opinion is never a good thing.

You might be right in saying that today's issues are too complex for protest to accomplish much, but then again we haven't seen any massive civil disobedience since the simpler times of days gone by, so I'm not so sure. I also believe there's some validity in the Bowman's post above, in that simply viewing Dr. King's agenda as black v. white social equality might not be giving him enough credit. Of course, that was his first objective.

Mostly good posts today, gang. I actually felt I could chime in, rather than just read like usual, without fear of insult or ridicule.

wichita_reader 10 years, 5 months ago

BTW, Captain, a personal thanks for explaining without making fun. Sorry, I'm a little slow this afternoon. I've got weekend on my mind!

STDMann 10 years, 5 months ago

The kind of project MLK would approve of would be best. For example, to research Federal programs that help the poor.

Like the Bush Administration's Dept of Agriculture loans that provide special financing for low income families and retirees to buy homes in rural areas. Payments are based on incomes and some of those loans are down payment-free.

Publishing a list of programs like that would be really useful. The people who need them most often don't have the resources to find out about them.