Previous   Next

What do you think of our new state slogan, “Kansas: As big as you think”?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on January 8, 2005

Browse the archives

“I think it’s a little corny. It definitely isn’t worth the money they are putting into it.”

“I’m delighted to get rid of anything associated with Oz. I think we should be more specific about what we have to offer to inspire people to visit here.”

“I think ‘The Land of Ahs’ was a little better. They should have kept using it.”

“I don’t understand what message they are trying to send. It’s basically saying it’s as desolate and widespread as you think, and maybe more so.”

Comments

madcow 10 years, 7 months ago

LAME!!!!

no one wants to visit kansas, they should just give up already.

Capkan 10 years, 7 months ago

KANSAS: Somewhere under the Rainbow!

spongiform 10 years, 6 months ago

Kansas: Tsunami free since the cretaceous

Jay_Z 10 years, 7 months ago

It is a waste of money....not too many people want to visit Kansas, and not many more are going to come here because we have some stupid slogan.

mhh1955 10 years, 7 months ago

As a fan of "West Wing" it reminds me of the slogan being pitched to then governor Bartlet - "New Hampshire, its what's New".

Why not something that emphasizes all the people and things that were started here: Amelia Earhart's birthplace, or Dwight Eisenhower's boyhood home, the cross-roads of the trails heading west, the building site of both small and large aircraft, and the stepping-stone to the stars (Cosmosphere). Why not emphasize how much Kansas nurtures the rest of the nation?

Why not something like, "Kansas, America's Heart"

Grundoon Luna 10 years, 7 months ago

"As big as you think?" . . . People will think, "It's probably as flat and brown as I think, too," or "It's as borning as I think," or, after banning the teaching of evolution, "It's probably as backward as I think." If one is concerned with a percived image, the idea of advertising is to change that perception, not reinforce it. Big failure on the slogan as far as I'm concerned.

Charlie Bannister 10 years, 7 months ago

I rather like "Land of Aahhs." However, I do understand the need for periodic, refreshing change. Mister_Joe, your personal slogan should have been copyrighted before the state got ahold of it.

How about "Kansas, at least it ain't Missouri!" Or maybe "Kansas, just click your heels and it'll come true!" Or possibly "Kansas, just flat out great!"

DaREEKKU 10 years, 7 months ago

I think its horribly corny and ridiculous. Why not just state the obvious that we are just basically a passing point between the east and the west.

3rdBird 10 years, 7 months ago

Maybe whoever thought of that was thinking that it's so ridiculous and easy to make fun of that it would get bad press and become famous and then people would want to come here to see what all the ridiculousness is all about and then they'd come and spend their money. I wonder if people will actually leave and say, "Yes, Kansas was as big as I thought." I know it is certainly big. They did get that right, but I'm not sure what they were comparing it to, so... yeah, maybe they should clarify. Maybe something like "Kansas: As big as you think (bigger than Connecticut, if that's what you were thinking)" I personally would prefer something like "Kansas: It's a big rectangle with a chunk out of a corner because of a river." Or something like that. It's not perfect by any means (I came up with it off the top of my head) but you could read that and say... yeah, that is definetely true, I've seen it on a map. I mean, how can you argue with that? You can't. But you can argue with the big statement because it's not really that big compared to like Texas or the Universe.

ms_canada 10 years, 7 months ago

Are you people down there in "ahs land" bored to death today? Do you want something interesting and informative to read? Are you concerned for the future of your country and your soldiers? Click on to MSNBC web site, find the article on Iraq by Richard Engel and read the whole thing. You Bush and Cheney supporters need waking up. You need to smell the coffee. Some thing is really rotten in Iraq. And it is a sickening odor of the first degree. Do it! I dare you!

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 10 years, 7 months ago

The new slogan doesn't give anyone a reason to visit Kansas. It's big? Who cares? That doesn't mean it's worth visiting. We need more creativity!! How about this slogan, "Kansas - It's Really Not as Bad as You Might Think." I was also disappointed when they changed the license plate; the newer plates are lame. The license plate should have a tornado on it. Thank you.

Sincerely,

I've Got My Ascot 'n My Dickie

harryk 10 years, 7 months ago

We paid all that money for that?! How about "The Kansas Legislature, as dumb as you thought."

italianprincess 10 years, 7 months ago

I like mmh1955's idea of what it should read.

I also think spending that much money is stupid. I moved here from Cali in 97 for a change. I will be moving back to Cali in 06 because of family reasons. I do like living here in Lawrence because it so diverse, but simply changing the wording isn't going to bring people here.

People think Kansas is already boring because they think of flat brown land. When I think of Kansas I think of KU and The Wizard of OZ. Thats just me and others think of Kansas in other ways.

Changing a name isn't going to do much of anything but waste money where its not needed. I'm sure there are other things the money can be spent of also.

badger 10 years, 7 months ago

I think it may be one of the silliest things I've ever heard.

State ad campaigns often are, though. Texas...It's like a Whole Other Country? That, too, was idiotic. I just sort of accept that when politicians, state officials, and ad agencies get together, I'll get a good laugh if nothing else.

I say we change the motto to, "Kansas...Stop Calling us a 'Flyover State' or We'll Keep Our Wheat and Get Our Bison to Poop on Your Lawn!!!"

On the note, by the way, of people who always ask us about the Wizard of Oz, last year I responded to a smugly smiling woman from New Jersey asking me how my 'Auntie Em' was by sighing and saying, "Well, not so good. The 80s weren't good for farmers. She managed to hold on until 84, but then we had that run of drought. Bank foreclosed, one of those corporate farms bought the property, even tore down the ol' barn that used to be a stop on the Underground Railroad. They hired on some of the hands, but Roy and Eb were over 50 and couldnt' get jobs, so they took to drifting out somewhere in Colorado. Course, she kinda lost heart anyway, after my uncle fell in the combine and lost his arms and one of his feet. Now, they've got a one-bedroom walkup in Topeka, and she's one o' them greeters at the Wal-Mart, though I think they're gonna have to move if the meth house doesn't get shut down. The fumes bother my uncle so much. And, well, the pigs ate Toto."

It was actually kind of satisfying.

lunacydetector 10 years, 7 months ago

kansas - home of the giant mud hut, 2nd largest ball of twine, and the deepest hand dug well in the united states.

it's place i travel through , every few years, ahhh ahhh kansas

what a waste of money. $1.7 million going to callahan creek. did those same folks help sebelius' election, or am i confused?