Previous   Next

Do you think overweight people experience prejudice?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 23, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. I think people tend to think of overweight people as lower class citizens, and if they are treated that way, then they begin to feel that way.”

“Yes, I think they do if they are obese and not just overweight. I think people place a moral judgment on them because they think they lack self-control and discipline.”

“I guess it’s really case dependent, but they especially experience it in school. When you’re little, nothing hurts worse than being called fat. It rarely stops at school.”

“Yes. I feel that society has expectations built on what people should or shouldn’t look like, and because of a large media influence, most people just don’t accept overweight people.”

Comments

bytheway 9 years, 1 month ago

I just want to define what diet means. It means the food that we eat. That is simple definition but it doesn't mean all the stuff that the Atkins and South Beach promote. Obesity is a touchy subject. I got close to 200 lbs after my daughter was born. That was really scary for me since I weighed around 120 when I got pregnant and being 5'7" that whole 200 pound thing freaked me. It has taken me some time to get rid of it, but it still bothers me. As I have found with myself, obesity for a majority of people is all about choices and how we choose to live our lives. That is either by cutting exercise and eating junk with to many calories. I understand what all the single mothers are saying but you have to draw the line and take care of your selves. There are so many long term chronic conditions that come from obesity that I wouldn't dream of making them "real." People have to be responsible. I agree that fresh foods are a bit more, but with careful meal planning healthy foods can be brought into the household. We all have to be responsible for ourselves and our decisions. I understand not all situations are "chosen" but we maintain them!!! Make good healthy choices and 30 minutes of some kind of exercise can make the difference.

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

Your welcome and I fully agree with you.

Not sure where to start on this issue since Kansas hasn't any money for our schools which causes schools to shut down and classrooms to start overcrowding.

Something is happening to the money for our schools, its going somewhere. I wish I knew where all of it is going.

kansas 9 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I agree! Class sizes should be smaller!---And not just for elementary schools, IP! But even when you are talking about college classroom sizes! You know, when I was in college, I can't telll you how many classes I took where the students were packed into the not-too-big classrooms like sardines!! And when you have one instructor and forty-some-odd students in one classroom....there's never enough time for the instructor to answer everyones' questions!! And if you're talking about some lecture class....Oh, forget about it! You're talking about maybe 80 to 100 students and 1 instructor!!---You don't even bother to ask the instructor any questions in that situation, because A.) he or she might not ever see your hand being raised, and B.) If he or she does see your hand raised, it may take that instructor forever before he or she gets to your question!!

My feeling is that whenever you are talking about elementary schools, junior high schools, high schools, or colleges.....If you've got crowded classrooms, you're not getting your money's worth as a tax paying parent or as a hard working college student struggling to pay higher and higher college tuition costs!! Crowded classrooms are too distracting, too much for any one teacher to have to bear, and there's always too little time for serious in-depth question and answer discussions between the teacher and the students. And it's the intimate Q and A sessions where students of any age learn the most of whatever subject it is that they are trying to learn! Don't you think so? I do!

Great topic, IP! Thanks for bringing it up!

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

How about a question like:

Do you feel that children do better in school with smaller class size?

I have been doing alot of studies on this lately and its a fact that both teachers and students are happier if the ratio of students is smaller. The teacher actually has more time to teach then having to discipline through out the day.

This would be a great question to ask others and I'm so curious as to what answers everyone would have.

Example: My son's classroom size is 620 sqft and should hold no more then maybe 12 to possibly 14 children. There are 26 children in there this year and I feel thats way to much.

simple_simon 9 years, 1 month ago

I second wichita_reader's request!

I've got nothing against overweight people, mind you! I believe in "live and let live". Somebody else's weight is not my problem! But I will say this, though......After reading the last several posts, this board is beginning to sound like the Oprah Winfrey Show!!!

Geez!

Okay, so there are a lot of people in this world with weight issues, and some of those weight issues have nothing at all to do with stuffing one too many french fries or Hostess Twinkies in one's face! And some people are fat for genetic reasons. And still other people are fat because of something like a thyroid disorder!

Okay, I understand completely! I got it now! I get the picture!

Can we move on to a different topic now?!

wichita_reader 9 years, 1 month ago

I guess the folks at ljworld.com really liked this question. In the six or so months I've been reading and posting, I believe it's the first question I've seen stay on the board for two days.

LJWorld staff: can we please get a new question?

mert1717 9 years, 1 month ago

I wanted to get my two cents worth in here. I remember growing up in school my weight was always made fun of and judged. You look at an overweight person and the first judgements are fat, lazy no self control. How can you judge a person just by looking at him.

I exercise 6 days a week. eat right 6 days a week. I diet and raise 2 kids. I am 6 3 and 300 pounds and raise a family, work full time job, and go to school full time nights. But I am judged as being fat and lazy because of my size.

How many of those with fast metabilizms judge me with those standards but don't even work out or have families. I guareentee my work ethic and life not many people could keep up with.

The problem and issue here is society is quick to point a finger at over wieght people.

DO you realize that health insurance will pay to help you get over drinking, smoking, but if your overweight insurance won't pay a dime for me to get counciling or see a dietitician. Even if a doctor tells you if you don't diet or seek help you will die. If I needed help I am pretty much alone unless I want to pay many dollars to get aid.

lonely_is_an_eyesore 9 years, 1 month ago

I was 75lbs overweight about four years ago and used every excuse in the book regarding my weight. ("It's my genetics." "I don't have time to work out." "I can't afford healthy food."). After being fed-up with my poor health situation, having no stamina, huffing and puffing after walking up a flight of stairs, I decided it was time to get serious. I read a book that focused on nutrition and exercise as a means to lose weight. It's a very simple formula, people: 1. Eat right and 2. Engage in cardio activity at least three times a week. It took some getting used to at first, but it pays to remain strong-willed. Within 2 years, I shed the 75lbs and I kept it off because I haven't reverted to my old eating habits. Lunch today consisted of a garden salad, bottled water and a banana. Meanwhile the lady in line behind me had a cheeseburger and fries and probably blamed her genetics or busy schedule for her weight problem. Ever since then, my self-confidence and health have greatly improved. Don't make excuses for your weight. Instead, make a game plan to get healthy and stick to it! You can do it if you want to.

KSChick1 9 years, 1 month ago

As a formerly skinny person who is now obese-I had to register and comment instead of just reading the posts today. I used to be skinny and my overweight mom reminds me every once in a while how I used to tell her I never want to get fat like you mom. And now I weigh more than she does. I have had several bad experiences (rude comments, etc) because of my weight including the most recent at Jack Flanigans on New Years Eve, when I was out on the smoking patio as a non-smoker hanging out with all my smoking friends. Someone behind me said, "What a big ol' bitch" and then he and all his friends proceeded to look at me so I KNEW they were talking about me. What these experiences show me is 1. that I was wrong to say that to my mom all those years ago, how hurtful that was, and how the gods must be laughing now. And 2. that you can be minding your own business and trying to enjoy yourself and have a gasp smoker criticise you for what they consider is your flaw when it is none of their business anyway! If you think it is that easy to lose weight, let's apply it to smoking, drinking alcohol and every other bad habit. You can quit a lot of things "cold turkey" but not eating! There are many reasons for obesity but the main point should be that obesity is a physical trait, it does not mean that person has no value to their lives or that they are boring or stupid or lazy or anything else. What I eat or overeat does not make who I am as a person any less. Judging someone because you don't like how they look is what makes a lesser person. Like I heard someone say, I am tired of trying to take the fat off. Now I am going to take it on. I own it and while I may not be happy about it, I live my life to the fullest and try to get past all the rude bastards who may someday, just like me, grow old and get fat. And thankfully, the 5 friends I had with me on New Years defended me to the a**holes that tried to ruin my night. Thanks guys, I love you all! Signed, a fat girl who still has friends and is valued at work and in her personal life

louise 9 years, 1 month ago

Ok, I read this and as much as I have not contributed lately, I feel like I must comment. First, all assumptions aside, obesity has many causes....many. Statements like "all you have to do is exercise" only illustrate the ignorance that contributes to prejudice. Here's what I know: I was a 25 year old Olympic Weightlifter, ran 5 miles a day, worked out twice a day six days a week, and while I looked great, by body fat content was extremely hard to control. Talked to several doctors, changed my diet many times, and obsessed over the whole thing. I was also an entertainer and so my weight was always a factor until someone actually heard me perform and then that consideration no longer came into play. What I found out was that my genetics, my body type, and a low functioniong thyroid made weight and body fat two issues that would plague me for the rest of my life. Enter in a very, very stressful pregnancy, a crisis situation, and then, finally, a large weight gain. Since that time, I continue to be obese. Its not great. Its not fun. But, here's what else I know. STRESS is the number one contributing factor to fat storage in the body, and depression, and a whole myriad of other issues that effect weight. In the end, while diet and exercise can be part of the solution, in fact, it probably won't be all the solution. I currently work three jobs to support my son, my elderly parent, and myself. I have no energy left at the end of the day, and wouldn't whether I was in shape or out of shape. Until life unwinds a little, I just have to live with how I look, and so do you. For those of you who have some simple and I should say simple-minded ideas about obesity, I encourage you to get informed, find someone who is actually experiencing the problem and spend some time with them. I think you will find that these folks work hard, if not harder, and contribute to this community in extraordinarily positive ways. If you just have to make a negative comment, remember that you are contributing the problem, NOT solving it...and as far as that goes, aim your comments MY way, because I know who I am and what my value is as an individual and a spiritual daughter of a loving Heavenly Father. God bless you all.

Bad_Brad 9 years, 1 month ago

MapMadeMind - we already do tax a number of things like this - cigarettes, liquor, and gasoline are three that come immediately to mind. What's wrong with a similar tax on things like soda, junk food, fast food, etc? It's not like it's unprecedented.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

There are a lot of reason why people put on weight. The love of eating,depression,not enough exercise and eating the wrong foods etc,etc.

Healthy eating habits we know are good for the body and the brain cells. Nutrition is essential to enable the brain to shoot the proper natural chemicals in the right places for coping with stress.

Work in a reasonable schedule for walking or swimming as running,jogging and working out at the gym is not everyone's cup of tea. As most folks know losing weight requires patience. An aquaintance or two lost a fair amount by cutting back on quanity at every meal plus walking. I've read where folks who could no longer maintain their former exercise schedule parked further away from their destination and climbed stairs instead using the elevator. Single parents definitely are inconvienced.

Nutrition we know provides energy naturally as well as good sleep. Of course eating too much of the most wholesome foods on the planet can also create weight problems. Becoming a vegetarian may bring weight down a bit faster however it is not a magic solution as some think.

Cruciferous veggies(broccoli,cauliflower,cabbage,chard) are cancer fighters.

Do children or anybody need bad cholesterol? No

When speaking of granola bars what are the first few ingredients:oats,flour, nuts or does a sweetener come first on the list? If sweetener is among the first items listed there is too much sugar or whatever. That is a rule of thumb.

Plain water, which is easily absorbed by the body, not only is perfectly adequate but is the best beverage to drink. Leading sports physiologists have found that the difference between sports drinks and plain water is meaningful only to people who push themselves to the activity level of elitist, dedicated athletes. Smart Water, a bottled water, is also a source of electrolytes which can be readily purchased.

We all need electrolytes which are are abundant in avocados, bananas, chard, citrus fruits, and green leafy vegetables, as well as many other common foods. Juices such as grapefruit, tomato, V8 and orange juice are also good sources of electrolytes.

How many times have we heard"moderation is the key".

Azure_Attitude 9 years, 1 month ago

LD:

You're a former democrat probably like Bill O'Schmuckly is a former democrat. I bet you're as big as a house, too. You'd have to be to hold all of that hate you have inside you!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 1 month ago

Ah, the old "it might not be overeating, it might be genetics" argument. Oh come on, does anybody really believe that the bulk of our fat people are fat because they have bad genes?! That gene didn't just suddenly metabolize out of thin air...

I used to work as a waiter in college and I remember all sorts of porky pigs coming in and ordering a diet coke, then proceeding to order a bacon double cheeseburger. Please. These are also probably the same types of people that I see at the gym today that are talking on their cell phones while they lift. It's lack of commitment that makes most people tip the scales...

Au_contraire 9 years, 1 month ago

Have you ever noticed that the homeless who wander around are never fat?

I took off my stocking hat and tried to get in a door at the Art Center once and this lady must have mistaken me for a vagrant 'cause she freaked out and closed the door and locked it right in my face! "No, you're not coming in here." How RUDE!

Now if I had been fat she might have been prejudiced for other reasons.

But I bet she would have let me in.

ms_canada 9 years, 1 month ago

Who would have thought that such a question would have generated such a lot of vitriol!!! Sad, but true, obese people do experience nastyness and misunderstanding. Not true that there are medical reasons for obesity. Only a very few. You know what it is, it has been mentioned today. We do not eat healthy food. Remember the movie, Supersize Me? We do not consume enough fruit and veggies. We eat too much red meat, cheese and bread products. Too many sweets. And all you jerks who said it was easy to lose weight are dead wrong. It is extremely difficult. It take a great deal of intestinal fortitude. And it takes HELP. And this can be prohibitive financially. I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers. They do offer help, but it is somewhat costly. It takes a great deal of determination to change your lifestyle because to keep the weight off, that is what you must do. You switch from white to whole grain, from red meat to chicken and fish, from ice cream to yogurt, from pie to fruit etc. You get off the couch and go for a walk or for a swim. But it is not as easy as it sounds. It took me a while to lose 34 lbs. and I have kept it off for 3 yrs. now, but only because I attend a WW meeting every Wed. morning. I keep a close eye on what I eat and drink. A comment was made this morning when one member said she had kept the weight off for 15 yrs. another said "and you still come to WW?' I said, "It is the same as being an alcoholic. Dry for 10 yrs. still self described as an alcoholic" I am a food-a-holic. It takes diligence. I never was obese and I sure do feel great sympathy for those who are and all you jerks who scoff and look down on them, SHAME, SHAME on you.

greater_good 9 years, 1 month ago

Appearance is appearance, intelligence is intelligence ... et cetera, et cetera ad nauseam. A 400 pound good person is simply an unhealthy, good person. A 130 pound dickhead is a healthy dickhead. Yes, fat is bad for you and should be treated accordingly. Why ignore that? But it isn't everything.

simple_simon 9 years, 1 month ago

My wife weighs a very huggable 330 pounds!

And I would gladly give her the kind of great, big, bear hug she so richly deserves.......if only I could reach all the way around her! My arms just aren't long enough to do so! SIGH

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 1 month ago

Yeah and mine has had 4 kids. I'm pretty proud of her. Shes beautiful.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

Damn you're lucky...

..my girlfriend is 111 lbs.

Porker!

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 1 month ago

I have to be honest no I don't find heavy women attactive at all. Most men don't. When I see them all I can think is why don't you do something about yourself. My wife weighs about 100 pounds soaking wet.

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

So you don't see these women who are heavy as beautiful?

There are alot of beautiful women who are large.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty is skin deep. Are all the sayings untrue to most Americans because some are not a Barbie trophy?

Christy_K 9 years, 1 month ago

There is a big difference between being prejudice against people who are overweight and being truthful. People should have the maturity to judge people beyond appearances. On the other hand, people who have allowed their weight to get out of control do not do themselves any favors by latching on to convenient excuses. Eating can be like alcohol, an addiction or symptom that much more is wrong. But nothing can be done until the individual suffering makes the choice to change.

Yes, some weight gain is medical, but for most over weight Americans it is lack of understanding how their choices are affecting their body (not laziness). I was looking at 175 pounds and a size 16, but I finally looked myself in the mirror and said my weight is my fault. I took control and changed it.

Losing weight is very difficult (especially as you get older). It does take dedication, support (not insults), and unfortunately money. But it can be done. The biggest hurdle is overweight people accepting responsibility and making a commitment. For busy Moms, work out with your children to prevent childhood obesity. Eating the right foods and eating less of it would benefit most truly overweight people. Pay more money for the expensive food because then you will buy less. Limit eating out to once a week. Make pop and ice cream special snacks not daily. ASK FOR HELP. Don't waste time with gimmicks, diet and exercise is the only cure.

When I see someone who is overweight, I know there is a beautiful person inside. Instead of making fun of them, support them, even if it is tough love. American culture is quick to push bad habits with low prices and adverstising and is even quicker to judge when people fall prey to our own culture.

MapMadeMind 9 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit o' crap that we (society) has taken to blaming smokers/overeaters/etc for issues such as high health insurance premiums. The high prices couldn't have anything to do with a greedy and self-serving insurance industry could it? What's next? Should we tax people who have heart problems in their family history more? How about taxes on pop (sugar), beef (heart disease), milk and cheese (fat), desserts of many stripes (sugar)... What about race. How about black people? They are more likely to get sickle cell anemia, right? And Jews, Tay-Sachs is only found in people of Ashkenazic descent. Surely these factors too should be factored into their tax burdens!

The fact is, there is a health problem in this country. However, the blame game shouldn't be played unless the system is involved. I am not blaming anyone else for my problems, as people should take responsibility for themselves. But, lay off the witch hunt. It's a much too slippery slope.

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

It was me who said the running around thing. I take care of kids all day so running around is a daily activity. The do range between the ages of 2 1/2 and 6. They do keep me going which helps with daily excercise.

Yes I do get up at 6 am and retire at around 12 or 12:30 am. After work I'm taking one to their sports event or doing something somewhere. I don't have a 3 year old though, so not sure where that came from.

If you want to diet and are ready to......buy more fruits and veges. Keep them in your house at all times. When you get hungry at night for something grab an apple instead of something sweet. I have baby carrots here all the time and do munch on them quite often. Its hard to diet and it can be really frustrating. The most difficult thing I find is will power and support. Those I think are the two most important things about dieting for anyone.

Its hard to diet, and its not fun. If you are unhappy with yourself then do something about it. If its causing medical problems the really do something about it. If you are fine with who you are then do diet, but watch what you eat and get as much excercise are you can.

Bad_Brad 9 years, 1 month ago

bleeding_flower - maybe I'm missing something here, but if you're "running around" with your three-year-old all day long, isn't that exercise?

bleeding_flower 9 years, 1 month ago

It doesn't matter who says it, liberal or conservative, but fat people always experience prejudice. Just look at what most of you idiots wrote. I am an overweight single mother. Between work and running around with my three year old, I don't have the time to think about excercising. My day starts at 6 a.m. every morning and I don't stop until 11:30 p.m. I have went to see a dietician when I was younger and he told me my body makes to much insulin, so all my sugar is stored into fat. He told me the best diet would be the Atkins, but that can be expensive. It is cheaper to buy pastas than to buy cheeses and meats all the time. So to the @## that said we could help it go to h*!!.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 1 month ago

Since we tax the heck out of cigarettes anymore I think its only fair that we tax the heck out of people who weigh over say 300 pounds or so. After all the argument about smoking is that the state pays out sooooo much money in health care because of smokers. I bet we pay just as much if not more because of their high blood pressure diabetes and heart disease. And I don't care what anyone says most of them can help it.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 1 month ago

I see the point you're making, sunflowersue, but the excuse of genetics, pregnancy, etc. just doesn't cut it. American eating habits are to blame. Huge portions and a sedentary lifestyle are a horrible combination. I don't think there's an "American gene" that makes us bigger than people in other countries; I think it's our poor lifestyle choices. Many obesity-related medical problems could be avoided if people took care of themselves from the start.

pistachio 9 years, 1 month ago

Lunacy: Why do all of your posts center around what liberals think/say/do? Who cares? Last I checked, neither side of the political spectrum had the monopoly on prejudice.

To everyone who wisely pointed out that some fatness is uncontrollable due to genes or medical conditions, I encourage you to take a look around and ask if EVERY fat person you saw falls into that category of "legitimate fat". If so, we must be the sickest country in the world.

If 10% of obese people are uncontrollably obese, the other 90% have the ability to slim down. In the meantime, they're driving up my insurance premiums and passing bad eating habits on to their children.

italianprincess 9 years, 1 month ago

I agree with the " Don't judge a book by its cover ".

I am not skinny, but I don't consider myself obese either. I am overweight though and try to get as much exercise as possible. Since my job ends at around 6:00pm-7:00pm each night, then I take my kids to their sports events its hard a times to do much for me. I do try to do sometype of exercise at night before bed which for me is usually around 12:00 am or so.

The thing that bothers me the most is the stereotype that comes with being fat, overweight etc. People tend to think we are lazy, non productive in society, and we do nothing.

Mr. Cairo said something about " Undersleeping ". What is that anyway. I get plenty of sleep for a single mom who works her @$$ off daily. My day starts at 6:15 am and ends at around 12:30 am. So for me I'm not lazy, I keep myself busy all day to avoid snacking on this and that.

I have gone up and down with weight. Last time I weighed around 125 I was 15. Lets see.......two kids later between the ages of 24 and 34 it can be hard to get it off. My sister has had two kids also and looks great.

People are going to judge people for all sorts of reasons. Weight, color, short or tall, to skinny etc. We are not Barbies and Kens, we are people and if we all looked the same how boring the world would be.

Look within a person and get to know them. You never know who you may meet.

craigers 9 years, 1 month ago

I definitely think that overweight people experience prejudice. However, I do think that if they are really overweight that making them purchase a second seat on an airplane isn't a bad idea. No offense, but if somebody is big enough to roll over the arm rest and intrude on the person next to them, then I don't think making the pay for the two spots they are taking up is a big deal. That is just common courteousy for the other passengers, not discrimination. Does anybody agree with that policy?

sunflowersue 9 years, 1 month ago

Prejudice? Look at the comments here and you tell me! There have already been comments made that fall into that category, just in discussing the subject! If someone is overweight, it is none of your business unless they are VERY closely associated with you, or you are their doctor. The "offensive" weight could quite possibly come from medication, medical problems, genetics, pregnancy and any number of other situations where a person's weight gain is not under their personal control. Unless and until you know the personal situation of another well enough to be sure that their weight problem is a "self-control issue" then mind your own business, and hope your flaws and failings aren't on the list next for excoriation.

What ever happened to the old adage "Don't judge a book by its cover"?

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

I think it's very unfair that a larger person has to buy a second seat on an airplane.

That would really bother me if my job was to have to tell somebody that.

Well....off to lunch!

Redneckgal 9 years, 1 month ago

I feel sorry for people like that but at the same time I know that it is something that can changed at least for most of them. After my second son was born I porked up to 160. After being accused of being to skinny all my life I freaked. I looked like a cow. I just made up my mind that was enough of that crap. So I bought me some slim fast did a lot of walking and lost 35 pounds in about 3 months. It can be done the key is you just have to want it bad enough.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 1 month ago

I think they do experience prejudice but at the same time its hard to feel to sorry for them because for the most part its something that can be changed. Its kinda like this woman I work with who constantly complains about not being able to lose weight all the time munching crunching and guzzling her way through about 6 snacks before lunch. Disgusting.

staff04 9 years, 1 month ago

Lunatic- Your statement to open the dialogue today might qualify as the most ignorant and baseless thing you've ever posted here. Do you have direct knowledge that most people who insult fat people are liberals? Can you tell just by looking, or do you personally know EVERY person who makes insults? Such a moron...

Jayhawk226 9 years, 1 month ago

How about really challenging the readers...

...is there any population NOT discriminated against by some other population?

Stupid question LJWorld!

wichita_reader 9 years, 1 month ago

Of course fat people experience prejudice, and so did this (one time) extrememly skinny person. I grew up being made fun of, taunted, and picked on becuase my knees and elbows were the thickest respective parts of my legs and arms.

Then I experienced prejudice because I matured later in life than most of the other students and didn't have pubic hair until my freshman year in high school.

Was the taunting stupid and insensitive? Probably so. Did I wine and cry about it? I did at the time, but I accepted who I was for who I was. I sure didn't use my appearance as a crutch, nor do I hold any grudges. I actually laugh about it now and find it rather ironic, as I sit here and wish I were skinny and didn't have hair all over my body.

I think all of us have probably experienced prejudice in one form or another, and some more than others. It's amazing how people find faults in another's appearance to boost their own self.

Bad_Brad 9 years, 1 month ago

Let's see ... on the one hand, we have the media telling us that more and more Americans are obese all the time. Then, on the other hand, we have the suggestion that society is somehow biased against obese people. If there are so many Americans who are obese, then at some point, the likelihood of an obese American being subject to bias goes down since a high proportion of the people that the obese person interacts with on a daily basis are themselves obese. In other words, the media can't have it both ways on this one.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 1 month ago

Sure, they face prejudice. But those who hate their physical condition can easily change it...if they choose to do so. Shedding pounds is a no-brainer; eat right and exercise. No need to buy pills or a ThighMaster. Just set down the car keys and walk or ride a bike. Skip fast food burgers and eat poultry and vegetables instead.

BunE 9 years, 1 month ago

You have got to be kidding me, Of course fat people witness prejudice, we all laugh and mock those that are different.

Merrill, back off. You sound so...soft. Overweight people need to address their position and decide what they want to do. If they are OK with it than fine, but for god's sake don't go around offering to tired cliches like "dealing with the difficult task of pushing thyself from the table"

Idiocy like that is why liberals have such a bad name. And as a gun-toting liberal, I will not stand for it any more.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 1 month ago

If you have a friend who is over weight and know that person is concerned be a friend and begin taking walks. Perhaps create conversation dealing with the most difficult task of pushing thy self from the table....cut way back on what is being consumed will work for most. Begin walking and cutting way back as a team.

Lunacy you are not stupid why would you say such things?

Topside 9 years, 1 month ago

This has got to be the dumbest question ever posed in this magazine. HELL YES overweight people experience predjudice. Have you ever been clothes shopping in a mall for a size 44 pair of jeans? Good luck. Unless there is a specialty store. I am an over weight/big guy (6'4" 310) and I experience this predudice everyday. If I had a dollar for every time I was called fat or had a fat crack said right ot my face I would be sooooo...rich it isn't even funny. So much of it occurs right in front of teachers in school and they just let it go! I could talk all day on this one but I don't like to start off the day mad.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

to followup on my previous comment, and directed at davidryan - i am a former democrat. i know many democrats even today. i have seen more hatred towards the fat in society from liberal democrats than by conservative republicans.

i also know all about prejudice. i am an american who happens to be black.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

it sounds like the liberal mrcairo is being ignorant "That fat represents overeating, undersleeping, over-everything." that is not necessarily the case. sometimes there are genetics at play, some obesity is caused by medications. to lump fat people all together isn't fair. as for liberals hating fat people more than conservatives, i stand by my statement. mrcairo proves my point because he is the biggest liberal who posts on this site.

davidryan 9 years, 1 month ago

"i hear it mostly coming from liberals. i thought they were caring. i bet 100 bucks the biggest haters are the liberals" --

That is surely the most wild-eyed, unsubstantiated bit of lunacy I've heard in a while, and that's saying something.

But that statement is so ridiculously off topic, so kneejerkingly blathered, that it made me laugh.

Thanks for the joke. It's always good to begin the morning with a hearty laugh, even if the "thought" is supposed to be taken seriously.

Lunacydetector? rather "lunacy blatherer."

mrcairo 9 years, 1 month ago

Geeeeeeez I'm a liberal. And I don't hate fat people. I hate the fat not the person. The fat represents overeating, undersleeping, over-everything. It represents desire to consume consume consume without regard to ones person or the environment.

Like a good Christian, we hate the sin, not the sinner.

However, yes, I believe fat people and people of color and small people and anyone who doesn't fit the discreet Ken and Barbie mold experience prejudice.

lunacydetector 9 years, 1 month ago

Fat people are treated like second class citizens in our society.

do they experience prejudice? hell, some people automatically hate a fat person....they'll say, 'look at that fat ass. i hate fat people. etc..' i hear it mostly coming from liberals. i thought they were caring.

there's a study for someone. who hates fat people more, liberals or conservatives? i bet 100 bucks the biggest haters are the liberals.