Previous   Next

Do you find women breast-feeding in public offensive?

Asked at Southwind 12, 3433 Iowa. on February 19, 2005

Browse the archives

“No, I do not find it offensive, as long as it is done discreetly.”

“Slightly. I mean a kid’s got to eat, but I don’t think a woman should display her breast in public to do so.”

“I think if it’s done in an appropriate manner it isn’t offensive and doesn’t create an uncomfortable situation.”

“Breast-feeding is a very natural behavior, so we shouldn’t ask mothers not to do something that’s natural. However, it should be done tastefully and discreetly.”

Comments

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 9 months ago

If women like Kelsey and Kathy are doing it, it's fine with me...

Au_contraire 9 years, 9 months ago

I don't see where it's any of my business.

Central_Scrutinizer 9 years, 9 months ago

Talk about a frolic on the bus! Stouts and ales in tow, dusty went to look this one up in the dictionary. Later I found him 'reading' a copy of Playboy.

For a full celestial voyage experience; or maybe only a partial one? Perhaps a discussion of women's breasts (or Dave's if you'd rather) in general:

simple_simon 9 years, 9 months ago

Just out of curiosity.....At what age in a man's life is he considered way too old to be breast fed? 30? 40? 100??!!

I ask, because I was a bottle baby :(!, but now as an adult, I have to admit, I do enjoy being breast fed by my girlfriend! (On a fairly regular basis, I might add!) I don't get much milk out of the deal, this is true. In fact, I don't get any milk out of the deal! But hey!, that doesn't stop me from trying!--Or enjoying it!

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

It seems we have been convinced the human body is not to be seen. Breast milk is the healthiest nutrition for a child. Why do people find the breast offensive? A Mom should be admired for realizing she can furnish the most wholesome meal for the wonderful new person. Also very readily available.

What one woman may consider discreet others may find offensive. The concern should not be the breast. However the Mom is comfortable should be the final measure. Moms find it a very natural reaction. Support the Mom and take your eyes elsewhere.

Once again if others were minding their own business and could restrain themselves from staring this might not be a matter of discussion. Don't tell me we have been beat into submission by the prudes of the world. Women have been breast feeding longer than anyone reading this has been on the planet.

SUPPORT BREAST FEEDING and stop criticizing. All three of our children are breast fed babies. If the Mom is not uncomfortable you shouldn't be.

jonas 9 years, 9 months ago

If it's handled respectably, certainly it should be respected. Just put a blanket over it all and there's no problem.

Merrill: I largely agree, but the rationality of being offended pales to the fact that there WILL be people offended by too much display. When you think about it, there's no real rational reason anyone should be offended by the word fu!@, being just a combination of sounds, even with it's loaded meaning. There are people that are, so polite people refrain from blatant usage. There will be people offended by too much display in breast feeding, so I see no problem in expecting ladies to have enough decorum not to flaunt (if you will) their bodies in public. It's no much effort to cover up slightly to respect the feelings of those around you.

manofleisure 9 years, 9 months ago

That this is even an issue is beyond me. In a culture that sits in front of the television and watches gleefully murder shows, reality nonsense and entertainment that parades as news, I simply cannot understand what problem people have with something natural and healthy. If you are quesy with it, remember that you, too, were probably fed more than once in public from your mama.

amylou 9 years, 9 months ago

Merrill-Thank you very much.

Jonas-Would you like to eat your lunch with a blanket over your head? Well, neither did my baby so the blanket thing was never an option. The problem is, even the most discreet nursing mothers (which most of them are by the way) are being told to go somewhere else to nurse their babies. The bathroom, as I was given as a choice, is almost always one of the suggested places a woman should go. Also, of course, NOT an acceptable place to eat for ANYONE, especially my baby.

The fact is, you will see more skin just sitting and observing people walk by you in downtown Lawrence on a nice day than you will watching a mother nurse, and I don't see anyone complaining about that or asking those ladies to cover up with a blanket. As for the comment about nursing mothers "flaunting" their bodies in public: When I need to nurse my hungry, crying baby, the LAST thing I am doing is trying to FLAUNT anything, I am simply USING my breast for its NATURAL, GOD-GIVEN INTENDED purpose. That's it. Nurturing and nurishing my baby with the best nutrition possible.

As I said in my testimony, if we are medically encouraged to breastfeed, we should not be socially discouraged. Policies that ask women to cover up or go hide to nurse are treating nursing as if it is something that is very shameful that should be done in private. THAT is why we have 70% of women breastfeeding at hospital discharge and 29% are nursing at six months, and THAT is why the proposed breastfeeding law is so important.

mrcairo 9 years, 9 months ago

Anyone complaining about a woman breast feeding an infant in front of me will find themselves slapped silly.