Previous   Next

Do you think the potholes in Lawrence are especially bad this year?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on February 15, 2005

Browse the archives

“They are. I drive from here to Missouri and the potholes are worse here. I always thought the ones there would always be the worst.”

“They’re absolutely ridiculous. I just got my car this year, and I’ve already had a flat tire on 11th between Louisiana and Massachusetts.”

“I’d say so. They are everywhere. Around 19th and Barker is really bad.”

“Yes, they are particularly bad right now. Especially on 19th Street. The ice storm probably made them worse. I think people are going to get into accidents trying to dodge them.”

Comments

Bad_Brad 9 years, 10 months ago

Waiting on Lulu's comment regarding how, had John Kerry been elected President, we would not have to deal with those nasty potholes which are all Bush's fault

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

I'm kinda liking this red state vs blue state...

...red person vs blue person division that has carried over into every aspect of life.

Thanks alot Bush...er, whomever is to blame!

missmagoo 9 years, 10 months ago

i disagree, potholes are the dems fault :)

okay anyways, potholes are ridiculous in lawrence, worse on campus..and i even hit one on iowa today. why why why ????

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

Well considering my girlfriend threw me outta her apartment last night...

...but I was able to seek refuge in a great pothole near Michigan and 6th! Phew, I had a place to sleep and there was a whole new community down there.

Thank you Lawrence for adding to your diversity and allowing me to mingle amongst a whole new community in the world's worst-maintained streets (outside the State of Missouri)!

tir 9 years, 10 months ago

I think the potholes get worse EVERY year, but that's just my own perception--your mileage may vary.

A caveat regarding larryville's advice to pay close attention to the car in front of you as a guide to swerving around potholes--you might miss the pothole but end up hitting someone else's car. I know this because I got sideswiped this weekend by someone who swerved into my lane while trying to avoid a pothole.

So it's not just the holes in the road that can damage your car, people--it's also your fellow drivers swerving to avoid them!

remember_username 9 years, 10 months ago

The potholes are worse this year and it's all due to those big gas guzzling SUV's. The heavy traffic from all those 6000lb monstrosities is not only sacrificing our health but the health of our children. If the city is going to continue to allow these heaps of republicanism on the road they will have to thicken the surfaces like they thicken their skins against the homeless.

GOOD GOD! I think I was channeling Lulu.

Reader 9 years, 10 months ago

"PotHoles" Really, I Would Like To Know What Grade Of Diluted Oatmeal They're Using To Fill The Bowls Up With? I'm Sure It's Not A Name Brand Choice. Someone Else Needs To Be In The Kitchen And Do Some Real Cooking, Something That Will Stick To The Ribs. If You Know What I Mean! One Splash With Milk And It's All Gone!

mrcairo 9 years, 10 months ago

Isn't it true that if you wreck your front-end because of a 3 foot hole on Osduhl around 22nd that the City is liable for the damages?

Isn't it technically possible to build a street that holds up under seasonal changes? You'd think after some 100 years of building streets and roads you could do it right the first time. Don't ya think?

Huckleberry 9 years, 10 months ago

Wow, someone can actually find a way to blame pot holes on republicans and the city. That is not even worth responding to.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 10 months ago

Reader...thank you for bring some lightness into this thread...I did laugh out loud, literally.

KsTwister 9 years, 10 months ago

If you take a good look at Kasold you see cracks- lots of long jagged cracks. The street substrate used to begin with was the cheapest job I must believe. Omaha paved one of their major streets the same time Lawrence did Kasold. Their street still looks new. By the way there are more SUV's in Omaha,and large construction trucks,and bad weather;so why can Lawrence pay for better roads and do the job right the first time? Is it more economical to pay for the roundabouts by saving on road materials elsewhere??

Au_contraire 9 years, 10 months ago

Yes I think the roundabouts in Lawrence are especially bad this year.