Previous   Next

Do you think requiring excellent physical health of contestants on “The Apprentice” is discriminatory?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on February 10, 2005

Browse the archives

“Sure. I think that is discriminatory. People with disabilities are successful in business all the time. The show just wants people who are pretty to look at.”

“Of course it is. They are looking for intelligence and the ability to succeed in the business world. I don’t think Donald Trump is exactly in excellent physical health.”

“If that is the only reason that they are rejected, then that isn’t fair.”

“No. It’s their show. They can do whatever they want. When Bill Rancic came last fall, he discussed the grueling pace and the demanding physical challenges on the show.”

Comments

Fangorn 9 years, 2 months ago

Bad_Brad: Thank you for the reply. That was the type of thought and reasoning I was looking for in this discussion. I think it's possible that a judge may even agree with you. If there wasn't a real job offer at the end of the show, the case would be much weaker. I hadn't thought of that aspect of it (most likely because the only "reality TV" I watch is home videos of my children).

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 2 months ago

Don't you think its kind of sad that reality shows are about the only thing new they can come up with anymore? The other night I got tired of the same old crap so I turned on TV Land and watched Sanford and Son and All In The Family..now thats comedy...I about laughed my a** off. Its to bad they don't make many good shows like that anymore.

Bad_Brad 9 years, 2 months ago

Fangorn: but you're comparing apples and oranges here. In the case of your daughter, it is valid for both you and she to be discriminatory on the basis of her suitor's behavior and lifestyle. Those are traits that legitimately impact the acceptability of the suitor. In the case of basketball, physical traits and abilities are legitimate job-related issues based on what the "job" of being a professional basketball player necessarily entails.

First of all, let's remind ourselves that as well as a gameshow, Trump's show is also a job interview process. There is, in the end, a real job being offered. A job, mind you, that is governed by all of the relevant labour laws of this nation, just as any other job offered by any other company is. So, the question then becomes, is "excellent physical health" a legitimate job requirement for the job Trump is offering? I contend that it is not. Ergo, I believe this guy has a case.

Fangorn 9 years, 2 months ago

Bad_Brad: Again, it is discriminatory by definition. But it is unlawful (i.e. legally wrong), or unjust (i.e. morally wrong)? Not all discrimination is wrong. When my daughter starts dating you can bet your small intestine that I'm going to "discriminate" between the boy who gets good grades and holds a part-time job and the boy who's failed twice and already has a rap sheet. The NBA discriminates against me because I'm short, old, and have no basketball skills whatsoever. But fathers who want their daughters to be happy and teams that want to win games are not wrong for discriminating.

If you would sue "The Donald", on what grounds would you do so? What law is being violated? I would point out that it isn't a job, it's a game/reality show. On the other hand, if you assert that this discrimination is morally wrong (a much stronger position, I believe), on what grounds is this true? I propose that this is the real question.

Bad_Brad 9 years, 2 months ago

Unless the job in question requires rigoruos physical activity (i.e. lifting heavy objects or operating heavy machinery), then it is discriminatory to use any kind of physical requirement as a job criteria. Period. Mr. Trump - "you're sued".

Fangorn 9 years, 2 months ago

Ms_Canada: In high school, I got to travel to Washington, DC. While waiting to visit the Washington Monument, I met a Canadian couple and their children. I learned a lot about the differences between our republic and the parlimentary system used by our northern neighbor (or is that "neighbour"?) I'll do a bit of research and see if I can recommend a brief primer on the US Constitution. And no, I haven't baked anything with my daughter recently. Now that all the holidays and birthdays, etc. are over, we may have more time.

ms_canada 9 years, 2 months ago

fangorn Thank you for your comment about the proposed cuts. I really would like to know more about the functioning of your gov. Mine is difficult enough to understand and far, far from perfect. I do try. I do ask my sister a few things. She is extremely active in the Am. Legion Aux. and takes an interest in gov. belongs to the Rep. ladies group. Her hubby was a sailor. Died of CA 7 years ago. I hope your wee daughter has a lovely party. I think she must be very fortunate to have a daddy like you. Have you baked any cookies with her lately?

italianprincess 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm no way upset about a silly reality show, but am appalled at the fact that this man who wants to be on this show can't because of his disability.

Talk about a lawsuit which he has filed.

Good luck........

Fangorn 9 years, 2 months ago

dis-crim-i-na-tory adj applying or favoring discrimination in treatment

dis-crim-i-na-tion n the process by which two stimuli differing in some aspect are responded to differently

So by definition the requirement is discriminatory. The question they should be asking (if they used the English language in a disciplined manner) is if such discrimination is legal or moral. It most certainly is legal ("his ball:.his playground"). Whether or not it is moral would be the most relevant question.

I also agree with earlier comments that the LJW staff needs to get out of the downtown area. They'll find a wider range of views if they venture beyond their little enclave.

Ms_Canada: Happy birthday! My daughter's birthday is also today. And to answer a question you asked: I'm not concerned about cuts in many "public" programs because most of them are clearly not authorized by our Constitution. It is painfully apparent that most Americans, including majorities of both political parties, don't give a diseased rat's intestine about the document that legally defines our system of government and its powers (i.e. what it can do and what it can't do). If the federal government performed only those functions authorized by the Constitution, they'd be flush with cash. A second reason I remain unconcerned is that we are running a record budget deficit. Some belt-tightening is necessary. And even with the proposed cuts, most programs' budgets could hardly be called austere.

ms_canada 9 years, 2 months ago

Well, folks, there has to be something right in this old world if all we have to be upset about is some stupid reality show. I watched the last few episodes of Survivor when Richard Hatch won the million and that was enough for me. I don't think there is anything less worth spending time on than those stupid reality shows. Actually there is not a lot worth spending time on on the old boob tube. I was reading yesterday in Wash Post that your GWB and Co. are going to be cutting a lot more of your public programs. Why are you not getting concerned about that? Something else, I just heard on the news this am. A week or so back you had a question about bar owners or customers being fined for breaking the non smoking bylaw. Have you heard that all Ireland has a non smoking law? One comment I heard was that there was very little that would keep an Irishman from his pint. We here in our city have a by-law for restaurants. If children are allowed, there is to be no smoking. And very soon all restaurants and bars will have to be smoke free and you know what, there is very little squacking.
I wish you all a happy day, I am going to have a nice time celebtating my birthday today. won't say how many years though.

Norma Jeane Baker 9 years, 2 months ago

For cryin' out loud, people, it's a freakin' TV show!! The guy can do anything he wants. Not only is it his ball, but it's his playground. Play by his rules or "you're fired!"

italianprincess 9 years, 2 months ago

That was funny Larry.

As far as Donald goes.......hes not that good looking and I wouldn't want to be anyones third wife regardless of money. All his wives have been beautiful because he needs the extra image to present to the world he can have that type of wife. This one this time around is young, very beautiful and now very wealthy. I'm sure she signed a pre nup, but will have his child and live grand for the rest of her life whether their marriage last or not. He may get tired of her one day like he did the others and venture off for wife number four.

He should allow people with disabilities on his show though, because it sure makes his rich and wealthy image look real bad.

Larry 9 years, 2 months ago

Exactly kns. But can you blame Donald? What red blooded man is going to turn down a woman with a figure and face like that? Of course I would if she had an attitude problem, but some how I imagine that she was a princess during the dating process. I wonder if that hair piece actually has some type of artificial brain attached which would therefore mean that Donald Trump has a mental disability and should be remove from the show?

As I frequently remind my wife, she obviously married me for my looks because I was barely making $25,000 a year when we hooked up years ago. She just grins and says, "it definitely wasn't for money, was it?" Maybe it was the life insurance policy?

Redneckgal 9 years, 2 months ago

I think its a good thing The Donald has money because he sure ain't got no looks!

kns 9 years, 2 months ago

I believe that wealthy, well-known, middle-aged, not-all-that-attractive-looking white men should not be allowed to date or marry busty/hot-looking/supermodel-type women!!! Because we all know that if Donald Trump (and the way he looks--ridiculous-looking hair and all) were "Donald Trump the average Joe 9 to 5 working-stiff accountant" instead of "Donald Trump the real estate mogul".....hot babes like the one he just recently married wouldn't give him the time of day!!!!

italianprincess 9 years, 2 months ago

If you look at most reality shows with the exception of a few the people on the shows are cute or beautiful women and hot looking guys.

If a person with disabilities wants to be on a reality show like " The Apprentice " then more power to them. They should have the right to go on just like the next person. Its all about image and looks really for tv more then who has the brain.

Now a person with disabilities would find it hard to be on a show like" Fear Factor ", but on the others I don't see why they can't.

I also agree with Merrill with the school bond issue. This should be tomorrow's question, because it effects our kids and something needs to be done. Our schools are suffering and someone out there needs to get it straight and fix things for our states schools.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Merrill! Get off of Mass street and its surroundings.....open your minds a little more.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 2 months ago

I think the LJW should consider sending reporters out into the neighborhoods in order to get a feel for how the school bond issue might fare.