Previous   Next

Are you disappointed that the ‘Star Trek’ series ‘Enterprise’ has been canceled?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 4, 2005

Browse the archives

“No I’m not. I don’t know anything about ‘Star Trek.’”

“I think it’s sad. I think ‘Enterprise’ had a lot of promise, but they let me down.”

“Yes, I am. The world needs ‘Star Trek’ almost as much as it needs ‘Star Wars.’”

“No. Actually I don’t watch very much TV. I didn’t even know it was on.”

Comments

mrcairo 10 years, 2 months ago

I believe the original series was so popularity because the show represented the Future at a time when nations were on the brink of destroying the planet.

The new series was OK but never really captured what the original series was about.

In some ways, we're living the dream of the original series, what with small personal communicators and computer technologies. The writers were writing shows for things that didn't exist so the story lines were kinda stupid but the underlying themes were timeless.

pistachio 10 years, 2 months ago

Mister Joe and Informed:

A dumpster diver is someone who roots through other peoples' trash in search of treasures. Drive through the alleys on the major student moving days and you'll see hoards of them looking for usable furniture, lamps, etc.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

I have long been a trekki. But did not find the new one all that captivating. Fangorn, I join you in the choice of History Channel as the best on the tube. Of course, I watch the Canadian ch. well, it is the only one I receive. As a military man, can you (or anyone else) tell me what the navy guys mean when they call the Captain CAG? What do those initials stand for? I watch JAG every day on my History ch. but haven't figured CAG out yet. I get sec-nav and the others. As for my injection on sci-fi, I recently discovered the SG 1 series with Richard Dean Anderson and I love it. And low and behold, it is produced in our own Vancouver, BC. Are you people there in Ks. able to view this great series? Do you have a SPACE channel? Say, I just remembered, both Anderson(SG-1) and Johnson (JAG) are canadians. Have a nice day. Good to see you back, fangorn, I missed your erudite comments.

remember_username 10 years, 2 months ago

Yeh, I'm disappointed as well. I'm with Fangorn on this one. I watch very little prime time except PBS, Discovery, and Enterprise was one non-educational show I tried to catch. Scott Baluka was a KU student so it was good to see one working. The new Battlestar Galactica is pretty good - so there is still some SF to watch.

Jillster 10 years, 2 months ago

"Enterprise" cancelled? Sad, but not surprising. It had an interesting premise, and Scott Bakula is one of my favorite actors, but I never found the series to be as engaging as the other Start Trek franchises. Frankly, I'm surprised it made it this long!

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm devastated! It was one of the few really interesting shows not on Discovery or History Channel International. In fact, other than college football it is the ONLY broadcast programming I watch. Almost everything else broadcast (and quite a bit on cable too) is merely an invitation to lose IQ points.

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

Well, the problem that the producers ran into was that the captain wasn't really the captain, just that guy quantum leaping into his body until the problem got fixed. The problem got fixed, and now he's gone. No more show.

Das-Ubermime: You're such a geek it's creepy. But I gotta run. Got episode 159 of InuYasha downloading on my computer!

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

John Wu made some good movies. . . in China, where you can blame the horrendous dialog on poor translation.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

That's Woo to you two.....

Live long and prosper!

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

Carmenilla: Either way. Realistically, it's a chinese ideograph, originally.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

True dat. But he spells it "Woo" for all of us English readers. Hey has anyone noticed that RR is gone? I guess the potshots finally did them in. I just went to River City Talk and was horrified to see what goes on over there. Marion and his cohorts are laying in wait for some unsuspecting Lib to post something and then they are gonna pounce. Really can't believe these are grown men. It is a sad reflection of these times.

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

Carmenilla: Check yesterdays comments here. You're guess is accurate.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

The writers and producers of "Enterprise" had to face the problem of filling in the "gap" in Trek "history" (i.e. what happened between our time and the 23rd century when Kirk et al. burst on the scene). Filling in social and political history was less of a problem than technological history. I mean, we've got cell phones almost more advanced than the flip-up communicators Spock and Scotty used. They just didn't foresee, back in the 1960s, that our communications technology would develop so quickly. So the problem was how to have tech that is obviously more "futuristic" than our early-21st century gadgets but not quite as advanced as that used by the crew in the original series.

Another problem all the Trek series have faced is that they envisioned an historical continuum. In other words, what was happening in their time flowed from what had happened in ours. There have been other series that were set in the "real" Earth's future, but most were a little fuzzy on exactly how far in the future they were or on what had happened in the meantime. Star Trek has always tried to fill in the 21st and 22nd centuries. I'm going to miss the show. Dr. Phlox was one of my favorite characters from any of the series.

Ms_canada: December and January were pretty busy months for me. I kind of dropped out for a while. I hadn't seen your name yet since I started writing again. I was really hoping that you were still with us. You provide this forum with a valuable perspective as our "foreign correspondent". I'm not sure what CAG means in the Navy, and I've only ever seen one episode of JAG. Remember_username's suggestion of "Commander Air Group" sounds good to me. I'd have to hear it in context to offer more of an opinion than that. In the Army, the CAG is the Combat Applications Group (think Special Forces), but JAG is a Navy show.

Remember_username: I didn't know Bakula had been a KU student. I'm not a native Kansan so such details often escape me. Btw, is "good to see one working" a mild jab at KU? :))

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for the info, jonas. I have to say that RR lost a lot of its appeal to me when PW, Conservativeman, etc. started accusing everyone that was anti-Bush of being a Communist. It became McCarthyism all over again. What was really sad too was that people like Kim and Lepanto did nothing to stop those bashers from their side. I never once saw them call those guys out on their tactics. I guess if you agree with the ideology then you just put up with the trash talking. I for one am sad it came ot this.

CeeCee 10 years, 2 months ago

You mean all you have to do is cry that you're offended by a particular post and the Journal World will remove it ban the person who posted it?? How childish!

Liberty 10 years, 2 months ago

This is a very "safe" question in deed, Homeland Security safe!

After Captain Kirk, it started the downward slide as the money increased and the inventive/imagination phase of ideas decreased. The original 'Star Trek' series made the most out of a smaller budget (Similar to Lost in Space, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Time Tunnel or the Invaders). They used better expressive/intensive acting instead of extensive computer enhancements, props and special effects. The enterprise series had nothing new to offer. The old movies are more family oriented and of much higher quality overall without foul language and profanity.

Bad_Brad 10 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure there are a lot of 30-year-olds who live in their mom's basement and have never kissed a girl who are very, very saddened by the end of Star Trek.

DS9_74656 10 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I am disappointed that Enterprise has been canceled. It was one of my favorite shows. I'm going to miss T'Pol and everyone. And I'm also going to miss Porthos. That dog is so cute.

I hope in the future maybe there will be a Star Trek movie with the Enterprise crew.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

Bad_Brad: I'm extremely impressed. Rarely has anyone loaded so much prejudice and ignorance into so few words!

Bad_Brad 10 years, 2 months ago

Fangorn: well, what can I say. I aims to please.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

NCC-74646 was the Voyager's registry number. The Defiant on DS9 was NX-74205. Nice mix, though, got them both in.

btw, the original series was saved from cancellation by a letter writing campaign. We can do it again.

CeeCee 10 years, 2 months ago

Larryville, did I offend you by using the word cry? I'm sorry, I should have been more considerate in my choice of words. I wasn't trying to inflame or insult anyone. Just as I'm sure your use of the world troll was not meant to inflame or insult anyone. There were posts on the RR forum that I thought were inappropriate. I just skip them and move on. No illusions, no disapointment. I guess there just wasn't enough of you 'grown ups with something to contribute' to keep the RR going.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

I think you take for granted how hard it was to post anything on that forum without immediately succumbing (sp?) to a barrage of harrASSment. Sadly, it was impossible to have a decent debate on there. And when over half of the threads start with the word "DemonRAT" or "Socialist Secularism" you start to feel that free speech isn't really the issue. I guess civility and decorum are impossible to find nowadays. See what happens when the teacher steps outta the room? The kids are bound to act up!

On a purely Star Trekking note, I am overjoyed to know that I'm not the only person who loves this series. It's many incarnations only proves the universal (pun intended) appeal.

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

I used to have nightmares when I was a kid that I was floating in space with no air or help or rescue in sight. I'm deathly afraid of space. Isn't that weird? I am not a phobic person, by nature, but space scares the crap out of me and for that reason I've never watched Star Trek, Star Wars, Aliens (any of them) Deep Space Nine, Battlestar Gallactia, Red Planet, Mission to Mars, Apollo 13 or anything space related basically. I have tried to sit thru them but as soon as they show space I get all sweaty. There I shared with ya'll. Now don't make fun. : )

CeeCee 10 years, 2 months ago

I will agree with you on that point Carmenilla. It was next to impossible to post ANYTHING without someone ripping you to shreds.

It is my understanding that the people who use to post in the RR have now moved to a couple of other forums. One for the 'Left' and one for the 'Right.' (Maybe that's not the right choice of words. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) I visited both today to compare them. One was much more graphic than the other. One had a much more 'holier than thou' attitude. I'm not going to say which was which as I'm sure everyone will make their own judgments on that. Too bad there's not a forum for the middle of the road people, or for people who don't want to discuss politics at all.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Amen to that CeeCee. I was hoping to do nerdy things like exchange recipes and talk about movies and books. Maybe even a little Trek love. Did anyone see the second "Trekkie" movie? It wasn't as good as the first but the international scope of it made it worth watching.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

Commander Air Group does seem to fit the title of the commander of an air craft carrier. Thanks, guys. My favourite of all was Deep Space Nine. The characters were great. I seem to like the shows with the aliens best of all. Lots of aliens in the Star Gate series. It comes on five days a week here and twice on Thurs. We are just about to enter series eight. Hope you catch up soon, Das. Carmenilla - if you find a forum that discusses books, movies and recipes, please let my know. I always like to be pointed to a new book. Right now I am into The Silmarillion by Tolkien.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

Oh btw - dumpster diving or bin diving as the Brits call it is a very respectable profession across the pond. Not really as goofy as it sounds. Instead of taking good used items to the 'tip' (garbage dump) people just plop them outside and the bin divers make regular rounds, take the items back to their shop, repair, refurbish them and sell them on. good money to made I am told.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

That is indeed an excellent book, ms_canada. And if I see or hear of a good forum where discussions of many things are encouraged I'll be sure to post it on this board. Have a good weekend everybody!

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

ms. canada: The Silmarillion is a wonderful work of imagination, though it reads somewhat like the Bible. Reading it, and then reading the Lord of the Rings, gives you such a deeper experience than just reading the books alone, and certainly more than seeing the movies. For one thing, you realize how inutterably cool Galadriel is. "Hi, I've been to heaven, but I didn't want to stay there, so I came back. What have you done with your life?"

Star Wars was always better than Star Trek. But then, I just like the toys more. 3300 piece lego Star Destroyer! Damn thing was over 3 feet long and 2 feet high! Then my cats broke it! YAAARRGGGHHH!

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

jonas - dear boy- you can have Galadriel only if I can have Aragorn or should it be Legolas, hmmmmmm! Too rich for my old blood, actually. But must just squeeze this in, I really loved Samwise Gamgee for his faithfulness and love for Frodo. Wouldn't everyone love to have such a true blue companion. Never gave up did he. I would have given Sean Astin an award.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

Das - don't you be nasty to jonas. And don't knock something until you have tried it. It most certainly does give one a much deeper experience, a much deeper appreciation for the LOTR's. There was so much that went on long before the elves, dwarves, hobbits and men. Yes jonas, it does read very much like the old testament. But it is fantasy, wonderful fantasy. Tolkien was a very religious man. What a rich imagination! What a treasure he left us.

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

ms canada: Das is one of the groomsmen in my wedding. We have an understanding. . . that he's a hopeless geek, and that I'm way, WAY cooler than he'll ever be.

squishypoet 10 years, 2 months ago

I have fond memories from my childhood of my family gathering around the television every week to watch episodes of Star Trek Voyager. I even remember watching the very first episode, all two hours of it. I think I liked it most because Ensign Kim looked just like my cousin Jack. Not to say that I didn't enjoy other versions of Star Trek... nobody can deny the greatness of The Next Generation. Haha. Wow, I feel like such a nerd.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

Squishypoet: you may feel like a nerd, but you make me feel very old. "memories of childhood. . .[watching] Star Trek Voyager", indeed! My childhood would have been right at the end of the original series.

Ms_canada: I agree with you on two things. First, The Silmarillion is very much like plugging through Numbers or Leviticus. Dry reading but good background. LOTR is more narrative like the Gospels, and much easy to get through. I got a copy of the Silmarillion for my thirteenth birthday (I won't say what year it was). I couldn't tell you how many times I started reading it before I finally completed it. Second, my favorite Trek was also DS9. The characters had more depth and the political intrigue was wonderful. The Federation's conflict with the Dominion is still the longest-running story arc in any series (not just Trek series, either). If you get Spike TV (formerly TNN) in Alberta, they show two episodes of DS9 every morning starting at 10:00 CT. And one last thing, I also had admonished jonas for a remark made to das ubermime, only to find out they are close friends. It was a little embarrassing, but I'd rather err on the side of civility.

Good night, everyone!

andyr 10 years, 2 months ago

I am disapointed that they removed enterprise from the line-up. I only got a chance to see the series a couple of times because of work (it was showing at the worst time) but what i saw i liked. I am a big Star Trek fan. I have all the books, movies, and now that they are avalible, the tv series. i was hoping to add enterprise. I can deal with it (ha ha) as long if it doesnt take years to come up with something else. ITS TIME FOR SOMTHING BIGGG !!!!