Previous   Next

Have you been following the success of the Kansas University women’s basketball team?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on December 30, 2005

Browse the archives

“Not really. I hear they’re 10 and zero and that they beat Pepperdine, but up until last night I really had no idea.”

“A little bit. Crystal Kemp played for Topeka High, so I have a little bit of hometown interest.”

“I’ve noticed they’ve been winning. That’s about it. But I did get to play against Crystal Kemp when I was in high school.”

“Just what I read in the newspaper. I watch the games once in a while.”

Related story

Comments

Nikki May 9 years, 8 months ago

Lots of Topeka people at Jeffersons.

I've been half watching it, about as much as I've followed the guys. I do intend to go to a game this year. It's always fun.

italianprincess 9 years, 8 months ago

Way to go ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!! KU Rocks the Women's Basketball this season. It would be nice to see you go all the way.

Congrats to all of you for working so hard to make your 10-0 win a success.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

Good job ladies! Make us proud!

e_m - cute story. Dissed by big Jay. Just remember - we're here if you need us.

That is interesting on the b&w. Maybe this is national no-color day?

Happy New Year to all! May you have the kind of year I plan to have - my best yet.

bankboy119 9 years, 8 months ago

Okay so I believe I've found the 3 people in Lawrence that pay attention to KU Women's BBall. At least somebody supports them.

Fangorn 9 years, 8 months ago

There's a women's basketball programs at KU?! (Just kidding.) Until the college football season ends, I remain utterly unaware of any other sport. So, no, I didn't realize how well they were doing.

And yeah, what's up with all the Topeka people? I can understand how on political questions they seem to have trouble at times finding a conserative. I mean, it's Lawrence, after all. But one would think, in Lawrence, they should be able to find someone from Lawrence. Don't you think?

Topside 9 years, 8 months ago

Looks like that teleporter I installed between Westridge mall and Jefferson's is working better than inspected. I have been loosely following the Ku women's team and I think it is a travesty they are not ranked. They have gone undefeated by playing more than just nobodies too. They should be ranked.

bluebird 9 years, 8 months ago

I haven't been following though I did hear through the grapevine that they were doing awesome this year. Go KU Women!

hawkrew 9 years, 8 months ago

I have been following in the sense that I check kusports.com and see the headlines. I hope they keep winning though.

dionne 9 years, 8 months ago

We are from Lawrence and my dad and daughter have season tickets. My daughter, who is 10, absolutely LOVES KU Basketball (men and women). She is very excited about the frosh players this year, and at the same time sad that Crystal Kemp, Kaylee Brown, and Erica Hallman are seniors. Unlike e_m, she has yet to be dissed by Big Jay or Baby Jay! Actually they like to come over and mess up her hair (hee hee). And to top that off, she received an autographed b-ball signed by the women's team for x-mas this year. Last year it was the signed men's b-ball.

beatrice 9 years, 8 months ago

To paraphrase comedian Wanda Sykes: I don't follow any college sport. Why bother watching a bunch of players not good enough to go straight into the pros.

Did people ever dream in black and white before the invention of photography?

Linda Aikins 9 years, 8 months ago

OMB where do you get this stuff? I believe it was around 1950 before color existed. You can't find pictures from before then that had color.

beatrice 9 years, 8 months ago

prospector, the early cave drawings were created using various types of natural pigments, and the images are not only colorful in themselves but also take on the color of the surrounding walls. Black and white drawings and prints are far from capturing the naturalism found in photographs -- how many today dream in a manner that suggests the texture of paintings, for instance? With photography, we see things in a manner we are use to seeing life, but it is in black and white.

Gootsie, early experiments in color photography date to the 1870s, three-color dye transfer printing of photographs was practiced in the first years of the 20th century, and a film actually coated with three layers of emulsion that could be used in any camera was invented for 16 mm motion pictures in 1935, and for 35mm still cameras in 1937. Kodacolor film came out in 1941. (this is coming from Beaumont Newhall's "The History of Photography.")

So, what do you think -- did people dream in black and white before film, or did it happen after motion pictures?

beatrice 9 years, 8 months ago

Another item for thought is the following article. It will take a few minutes to read, but the title is "The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race." I don't know if I buy it, but it is an interesting article on agriculture.

You might have to cut and past the site. Notice it is an "edu" college-based website.

oh, and go KU Women's BBall!

beatrice 9 years, 8 months ago

Best of luck, prospector, and I hope you don't go the way of Ugh when it comes to the berries.

beatrice 9 years, 8 months ago

omb: from your earlier background on color: "If a language contains three terms, then it contains a term for red."

My questions: What language has less than three terms? What language has only three terms? If a communication system has only three terms, should it be called a "language?"

killjoy 9 years, 8 months ago

I think they should celebrate their success by printing a calendar.

bearded_gnome 9 years, 8 months ago

good job ladyhawks! and, did you know every year in one or two weeks before Christmas, the womens' team visits the patients at lawrence memorial? was never in when they have visited, but I think that's a pretty cool tradition!

please have a very safe weekend! and don't be one of them impaired drivers!

*** Mary if you read this, I finished reading Scaramouche wednesday night. lookin' around for my next book. wow, the ending of Scaramouche is certainly dramatic! I especially like the confrontation when Scaramouche finds out who his father is!

italianprincess 9 years, 8 months ago

11-0 and our ladies did a fantastic job fighting all the way too. Great game ladies and what a way to ring in 2006. Happy New Year to all of you.

kucourtsider 9 years, 8 months ago

Last night wasn't pretty but the energy from the team and from the crowd was fantastic. Keep comin people, the more fans and support, the better!

Way to go Jayhawks, keep playin hard. Rock Chalk!