Previous   Next

Do you have more fun on Christmas or New Year’s Eve?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 26, 2005

Browse the archives

“For me it’s Christmas, because I moved to Seattle and I get to come back to Lawrence and see my family.”

“I’m going to say Christmas, because I get to see my family and I don’t have to make any resolutions.”

“New Year’s, definitely New Year’s. There’s so much less stress on New Year’s. It’s hard searching for the right gifts for people.”

“Definitely New Year’s. All of my friends are musicians and that’s the only night I get to hang out with all of them at once, because not everyone has to play that night.”

Comments

canyon_wren 8 years, 12 months ago

Either everyone is sleeping in this morning, or the question doesn't excite anyone very much.

Although I love Christmas more, and all the activities to get ready for it, I have to say I have more FUN on New Year's Eve. I do have a lot of work to do to get ready for it, as I make a lot of treats to eat, but after those preparations are done, I can relax. My daughter and son-in-law and a bunch of their friends come over--we really decorate up with balloons and serpentine, etc.--and play poker or other games till midnight, then go shoot off some fireworks on the front lawn. It is a nice wind-up to some busy weeks.

ms-canada--we were too full yesterday to have the pudding but we will have it tonight or tomorrow. That just gives it a couple more days to age to perfection!

Nikki May 8 years, 12 months ago

I'm saying new years for the exact reason most of the people on the street said christmas. Family. I rarely see family on new years.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 12 months ago

It's apples and oranges.

Many see christmas as something special with religious meaning and family time.

Corporate america likes christmas as a commercial extravaganza which unfortunately puts pressure on to spend lots of money

New Years Eve on the other hand while can be very commercial is a time for many parties and other social gatherings to celebrate another year gone by. Sometimes people just stay home and bring in the New Year quietly maybe while snoozing. Gifts are not necessarily expected however if anyone is blessed with hugs and kisses I'd say those are the best gifts on the planet.

Peace on the planet would be a huge gift.

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 12 months ago

Christmas Eve is fun, but New Year's is my BIRTHDAYYYY! The big 2-2!!! Enjoy your leftovers, everyone.

Ember 8 years, 12 months ago

Neither hold any interest for me anymore.

I transfered my grandmother, who was dying of cancer, from LHM to a nursing facility on Christmas Eve and she died that same year on December 30th.

I would be more than happy to sleep through the entire month of December, if it wasn't for the fact my grand aunt's birthday is on Christmas and her granddaughter's birthday is on the 2nd.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 12 months ago

New Year's. When I was 17, my buddies and I went to NYC for the Times Square celebration. It was madness. We went back every year for four years after that as well. On Times Square, the city sets up barricades to keep people corraled and the sidewalks cleared. One year, I was in a corral that was way over-packed, and I was getting claustrophobic. If you tried to climb under the barricade, however, the cops would immediately start beating you with their billy clubs. People are encouraged to either stay put or fight one's way through the crowd to the appropriate exit...impossible in this case. Well, I looked over and I saw a lady about ten feet away from me that had a look in her eyes that said, "I gotta get out of here!!" I knew it was a matter of seconds before she tried to escape. Perfect. I figured I'd make my move while the cops were busy beating her. Sure enough, I soon saw her duck down below the barricade and attempt to exit. Three cops immediately ran over and started pummelng the back of her jacket with their billy clubs. I grabbed my girlfriend Gretchen and we climbed under the barricade and ran off. We then went to Buger King and had burgers and champaigne (the latter of which I had stashed in my trench coat). On the way back to the hotel to meet up with our friends, we heard gunshots, followed by the sound of a lady screaming her head off. I love New York.

killjoy 8 years, 12 months ago

Let's see,

one holiday: run all over the place for weeks before and search for gifts for others, spend much of my disposable income and time and pray that everyone is content. Decorate the house, inside and out spend a fortune in cards & stamps.

The other holiday, I drink excessively and get laid afterward?

Which one is more fun? Hmmmmmmm

ms_canada 8 years, 12 months ago

canyon wren - we did not eat our pudding yesterday either. My daughter made trifle and we ate that, but will do as you are doing and eat it today. New Years Eve used to be a lot of fun when I was younger, party, party, party. But now I enjoy a family time on Christmas eve. We had a lovely meal, but our flight from Edmonton to Kelowna was 70 minutes late and I had most of the food for our special meal in my carry-on bags. What a bummer, never will travel on Christmas Eve again.

italianprincess 8 years, 12 months ago

I like Christmas more the New Year's Eve because I get to spend time with family and friends. Its hard to get together on New Year's Eve because everyone has different plans also.

This year I'm staying home with my little one. We didn't get to last year so this we are. My mom watched him so I could go out with friends and this year shes going to the movies with her friends.

I have decided to offer overnight child care for those of you who would like a night out on the town with no worries. As some of you know I own a daycare here at home and have been a teacher for over 22 years now. I believe it would be fun for the kids to have a good time like their parents do, so...........

Small World Daycare is open on New Year's Eve for overnight child care. Hours are from 7 pm until noon on New Year's Day. Pizza, arts and crafts, movies, and fun for you children while the two of you are out or you go out with friends. You children will be safe and sound here and have fun while you are too. All the above for $ 50.00 for one child or $70.00 for two.

Enjoy you evening out and be able to sleep in the next day. Have breakfast in bed and relax too.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 12 months ago

e_m, who the heck is Sylvia?

OMB, s,s...s,s

? of the day: All depends on who I'm with.

Ms_C, we also traveled on Christmas Eve...although we drove. Wasn't horrible. Sorry about your food having to wait (hope it was packed well).

P.S. I got Chia Shrek in our gift exchange. I was the big winner! Waaaa Hoooo!

plushy_hunter 8 years, 12 months ago

Since I am working graveyard shift on all these holidays, the answer is BLECCH!! Here is some helpful advice people....Do not tell the clerk behind the counter to cheer up when he is working a holiday.....Cheerful drunks are just as annoying as surly drunks.

sweetpeagj 8 years, 12 months ago

this must have not been a good OTS..or else everyone is still on vacation. I prefer New Years. Neither one of us drink so we play cards with family and friends, light fireworks at midnight and say what our hopes are for the new year. I don't make resolutions because they seem to be the first thing to get broken or forgotten as the new year goes on. Happy Holidays to all and e-m you may want to offer Sylvia a coat. She might freeze her fluff off.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 12 months ago

e_m, OK, I've met Sylvia. I guess I thought she was Tyra Banks. I saw Sylvia's outfit in Pracilla's window. Luckily, I didn't receive it for a gift!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 12 months ago

new year's eve/early new year's day, most drivers on the road are seriously impaired! glad won't be driving!

just one wiff of MSC's pudding could create an "impaired driver?"

apples to oranges;;flips to flops...ots question answer.
jeez! OTS writer must either be on vacation or set to autopilot!

zzz

please, be safe.

we had a wonderful christmas day, Mrs. gnome, gnomedog, and I, plus one visitor who wanted to learn american cooking; she read what I posted on here a while ago about roast cooking w/crust. was pretty darned good! her first roast too.
'night all!

favorite christmas movie: "a christmas carol" 1938, that really old one. next, "the santa claus" w/Tim Allen.

hope you all are enjoying your christmas leftovers, resolutions begin 1/1/06...hahaha.

and, "muslim" I'd think you'd be celebrating "new years" on the muslim new year, muslim calendar? or, did you burn that calendar yet?