Previous   Next

Are you disappointed there isn’t any snow in the forecast for Christmas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 20, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes, actually I am. I grew up in the Northeast, and the two are sort of synonymous to me.”

“Yes, because it’s Christmas and it’s supposed to be white. It makes it more classic and traditional.”

“No, because I have to drive to Kansas City to work on Christmas, and I want the roads to be clear.”

Related story

Comments

topeka 8 years, 3 months ago

Bob, of course frozen water can have a sexual preference!

Did you know that tornados are bisexual?

It's true!

When a tornado first drops down out of the sky, its mean-looking and tears up everything in its path.....kinda like a real, tough macho man (think Rambo)! But if you look closely, the funnel cloud of a tornado also sways back and force in such a graceful manner........just like the way you see some sexy starlet walking in her tight dress and high heels (think Marilyn Monroe)!

I'm fairly certain that tornados are bi!

But then again, my name isn't Bruce Jones! I'm not the weather guy for some local TV station....so I could be wrong, I suppose.

Say, speaking of Bruce Jones.....

Oh, no! Forget it! Nevermind!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Ruffians? I thought they were scalliwags.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 3 months ago

"vanguard" as an airline I think went belly-up a few years ago, so if works for that that person is in a time-warp which is I suppose, possible...more likely the investment management firm.

marion: when I fall on the ice, gnomedog stops what he's doing and walks slowly up to me and stands there and I can grab his shoulders to help get up! pretty nice lab gnomedog...wish I could have him teach your dogs to be more compassionate at those moments of gravity failure.

snow...yeah, preferable to MUD! mud mud mud....whahaha its everywhere in a day or two now!

"sludge angel" lol!

mud fort any one? built now, freeze tonight? whahahaha...oh wait, building that might just provoke them darned missouri ruffians!

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

muslim, if you plan to do any 'gift wrapping', be very VERY careful how much tape you use.

harrierist 8 years, 3 months ago

Actually it depends on if the HighPressure can stay through Saturday and keep the snow North just across the Canadian border, then swing South and hit St.Paul Minn. to Madison Wis. They are supposed to have a White Christmas with added Lake effect snow. If you like snow go their for Christmas.

gaynproud 8 years, 3 months ago

OMB I think that is a case of natural selection

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

gaynproud, that seems to have been the fate of ID in public schools today.

gaynproud 8 years, 3 months ago

death by spanking has always had a special place for me

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Even space aliens need to buy groceries. And that's when we can catch them.

boogeyman 8 years, 3 months ago

are you saying someone needs to kill her?

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

AND an airline.

Obviously, Kristi Bubna is a space traveller, from the Colony on Rigel IX, which is the secret project of the Illuminati, which also runs Vanguard Investments, Vanguard Security, and Vanguard Airlines. They are a very safe, wealthy, airborne colony.

And they stole all the snow.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

I've got a morning-star that doubles as a fly-swatter. Trouble is that once fly season is over, all my furniture is flat & there're huge holes in the walls.

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

you guys are cracking me up today. I think I might order one of those tables. :)

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

Oh, and I'm pretty sure Vanguard is an investment company.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

TOB, you obviously live a sheltered existance. Ever had a slushy from Dairy "Queen?" Queerest thing on the planet. I'm surprised they aren't actually served in cups decorated with rainbows.

Gootsie 8 years, 3 months ago

Wow TOB - a prop for a class on evolution!

gaynproud 8 years, 3 months ago

Theno21,

Didn't I see you at the gay dance awhile back?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm still baffled about how frozen water can have a sexual preference.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

Theno21, since no two snow crystals are alike...how can they possibly be gay?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Gots me all kinds of flabbergasted.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

TOB, ain't that just a kick in the head?

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Prospector - I guess there is a Colony, KS by Iola. Don't know about Vanguard. It's a generic enough name that it could really be anything.

Theno21 8 years, 3 months ago

Snows gay, i dont want it on any day...

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

The-Original-Bob

Vanguard? Is that not a security service? Classes held in an idling car at a donut shop.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

This is what strikes me as the perfect gift for all occassions: http://sharperimage.com/us/en/catalog/productview/skuWW258/hppos4 SFW, but creepy.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

I think Pleather Bob would buy one!

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

beatrice: blecth!

Out of curiosity, how many of you would buy a bedside table that breaks down into a shield and a club? Cuz now you can!

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

Well, Gootsie, you know that I rarely shy away from a good argument, but I too will be staying away from the privacy discussion (I don't want to encourage "them" to track my whereabouts.)

Sorry jonas, but it is gonna happen, and all will be good. Start to embrace the idea now, so the shock isn't so great later. : )

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Prospector - Good eye! Upon further review I have no idea what college or city Kristi Bubna lives in...

Kristi Bubna, Vanguard University junior, Colony

muslim 8 years, 3 months ago

I like snow traditional classes 1 dui extend the patriot act live xmas tree not surprised another rec. center in w. lawrence adopted 2 fams. depends on selected loc killing ea. other OK if doors aren't locked ok recieved b avg

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

So Kristen, the second OTS response, said, "Yes, because it's Christmas and it's supposed to be white. It makes it more classic and traditional."

I understand that you are a junior at a two year college?

OH NOOOOO, a nouveau and unorthodox Christmas. The inhumanity of it all.

LesterBurnham 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm AM dissapointed. This is totally unacceptable.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Irving Berlin & Bing Crosby never knew what they were starting.

topeka 8 years, 3 months ago

How do you suppose the folks down in Florida and out there in southern California feel each and every Christmas? They never get a "white Christmas".

Gootsie 8 years, 3 months ago

"I'm happy to see so many of us in good humor this morning." - Beatrice

NO KIDDING! These boards have been wayyyy too combative lately. I don't mind disagreements, but I draw the line at name-calling, you slackers...

Stay away from the invasion of privacy discussion. They're way into Clinton and "road warriors" and whatever else.

prospector 8 years, 3 months ago

Forcaster's ? HAHAHA

Guesser's would be a better term. But they look good on TV. We all need jobs with zero accountability.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Fur & feathers are starting to fly on other threads about the PA court decision. Snow, how about that? Somebody spilling a Slurpee on the sidewalk is about the only way we'll have frozen stuff around here.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 3 months ago

I did give a disclaimer, "article of possible interest...unrelated topic"

; )

Jayhawk226 8 years, 3 months ago

sorry TOB...i saw breaking news and got all excited.

You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

ID is religion? I'm shocked, I tell you, shocked!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Nice going J226. We are all getting along and then you have to drop that on us which will merely cause more beating of the pile of glue that was a very dead horse. Shame on you, Mr. Grinch. :)

Jayhawk226 8 years, 3 months ago

Newspaper article perhaps of interest on unrelated topic:

Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-evolution-debate,0,6803629.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed

Judge Rules Against Pa. Biology Curriculum

By MARTHA RAFFAELE Associated Press Writer Published December 20, 2005, 10:25 AM CST

HARRISBURG, Pa. -- "Intelligent design" cannot be mentioned in biology classes in a Pennsylvania public school district, a federal judge said Tuesday, ruling in one of the biggest courtroom clashes on evolution since the 1925 Scopes trial.

Dover Area School Board members violated the Constitution when they ordered that its biology curriculum must include the notion that life on Earth was produced by an unidentified intelligent cause, U.S. District Judge John E. Jones III said. Several members repeatedly lied to cover their motives even while professing religious beliefs, he said.

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

beatrice: Eeeks. I certainly hope not. She scares me, in some undefinable way. (not because she's a woman!)

jonas 8 years, 3 months ago

If I cared about having a white Christmas, I wouldn't spend two out of three at my folks house in San Diego.

O-Bob: That definately deserves a laughing Vash.

Enochville: Interestingly, there was an open forum before the On The Street really got kicked into gear, and it was shut down by LJWorld because it got taken over my screaming Harridans and other people of rude belligerence. Perhaps you should hope that lots of people DON'T find it. Thanks, though, for drawing it to my attention.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

gaynproud: not "if," but "when" Hillary is President!

gaynproud 8 years, 3 months ago

I want snow all Winter!!!

As long as it's cold, I want snow...granted it may be in the 50s for xmas this year. I'll bet if Hillary were president, we'd have an ice age!

Confrontation 8 years, 3 months ago

I'll be driving on Christmas Eve and Day, so I won't miss the snow. I sure do miss the great big blue moonboots I used to wear as a child.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Not a problem folks. I'm on at 8, 10, and special adults only midnight show.

muslim 8 years, 3 months ago

All I want for xmas is sand

ms_canada 8 years, 3 months ago

You might think that we, in the frozen north, will have a white Christmas, but it does not look like it. Only a few sprinkles so far. I am not complaining. I am in good humor this morning, making another batch of buns. It think this is four now. Hey, I just had an idea, I could parcel them up and send them to La Prima Tazza and designate them for OTS posters and you all could drop in and have one. Do you think it would work if I just addressed the parcel to L.P.T. on Mass street? Anyway, I truly do wish that you all will have a very Merry Christmas and all the best in 2006 inspite of GWB et al. I especially ask that the Lord would bless and keep all of your military guys and gals overseas.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

TOB, that was over the TOP! Love it! Muslim, also, very well done! I hope it stays up for a while. I'm happy to see so many of us in good humor this morning.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

TOB, You are a very bad boy! (That was way too funny!:)) You need to be spanked, young man!
removal countdown starting now

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

TOB I about fell outta my chair. That was great, man, seriously. :)

Marion Lynn 8 years, 3 months ago

It can snow all it wants as long as not one snowflake hits the streets, the sidewalk or my dogs.

On those early frozenmornings when I am scraping snow off of the car, I have fallen at least once on the sidewalk and the dogs are looking like, "Why me?', I want to STRANGLE you "White Christmas" a++++++++!

There.

i feel better

Thanks.

Marion.

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

"...but I am taking E-M's advice and tomorrow I'm going to a place that is very white. " Sue

You are going to Overland Park?

sunflower_sue 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm not basing my Christmas expectations on a song recorded in the 40's by Bing Crosby. I can think outside the box. I'm dreaming of a Christmas filled with my family, friends, and a couple people that might even like me:P.

Just a coinkidink but I am taking E-M's advice and tomorrow I'm going to a place that is very white. I got my Christmas present early (new tires) and plan to go test them out. I'm coming back here in time for my "brown" Christmas but just wanted to wish everyone well in case I'm distracted later. Merry, merry Christmas everyone! May you all be blessed with friends, family, figgy pudding, and only good things in the new year!!!

Hannibal_Lecter 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm thinking of selling snowglobes; the ones depicting Lawrence will have roundabouts in them.

badger 8 years, 3 months ago

snerk to beatrice. That was nicely done, madam.

It's supposed to be in the 60s here for Christmas, I heard on the radio this morning.

However, as my SO and I are Kansas-bound shortly after Christmas to do the family pilgrimage, general visitation, New Year's Eve party, and gift distribution, I am kind of glad to see that we won't be driving into a winter wonderland.

muslim 8 years, 3 months ago

So Bea, does dreaming of wet for Christmas means you only want a wet dream? countdown to removal starts now.

one_more_bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Grew up way down south, never saw snow on 25 Dec until I moved to MO. It actually snowed down here in Houston last Christmas. Even snowed on the beach in Galveston.

acg 8 years, 3 months ago

beatrice that was awesome

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 3 months ago

Not really. I live in Kansas. It never is a white christmas.

beatrice 8 years, 3 months ago

No snow = Global Warming = G.W. Bush and his administration, which is controlled by the religious right.

There you go boogeyman and enochville. I blaimed the President and brought up science and religion. Now have at it.

If it snows here in Phoenix I will be greatly surprised. I just wish it would rain. We haven't seen any in months. I'm just dreaming of a wet Christmas.

enochville 8 years, 3 months ago

Boogeyman: The ones at the end aren't mine. There aren't many theology students among the LDS because none of us are paid ministers, but I think many of us have become somewhat familiar with what theology students know.

Back to the topic: I enjoy snow, but I also enjoy its absence. I grew up in Macon, Georgia where it only snowed once every few years and even then the snow only stuck every other time it snowed. But, I've also lived in Newfoundland where there is rarely a day during winter when snow is not on the ground.

boogeyman 8 years, 3 months ago

enochville.

Thanks for the link. I scanned your group - interesting, I must say, 69 point/counterpoints...and they're all yours? Perhaps you're a theology student?

enochville 8 years, 3 months ago

boogeyman: I'm not sure if you knew this, but you can always create your own thread here: http://www2.ljworld.com/forums/open/general/

Hardly anyone ever uses it because not many people know about it and it is hard to get traffic over there since it is not advertized on ljworld's front page.

I have a thread there now, but it is mostly my posts. I am waiting for the day when we talk about a religious topic again, so I can point people to my thread.

If anyone starts a thread over there, I'll be sure to reply.

italianprincess 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm glad there because then it gives drunk drivers less reason to get out there and trying to drive in the snow after possibly drinking all day or night.

Get a grip you drunks who put others drivers life in danger because your brain happen to hit the pause button.

That guy who hit my son the other morning will get his and I will make sure of that.

killjoy 8 years, 3 months ago

No snow? I'm going to eat some mold from an old fruitcake and hallucinate some snow.

boogeyman 8 years, 3 months ago

What? no political discussion about it all being GWB's fault?

GreenEyedBlues 8 years, 3 months ago

Good call, E_M! Get over it, guys. Perhaps if it stays cold enough the sludgy undercar muck will stay! We'll have a greyish-brown gravelly Christmas! Who wants to make sludge angels?

audvisartist 8 years, 3 months ago

I've had enough snow for the year, thanks!

sweetpeagj 8 years, 3 months ago

Since I have moved to the Keys to get away from snow and cold I am glad that we don't have any. I have to say though that I am off schedule for holiday preparedness because without the snow and cold it is hard to believe Christmas is next week. I need to hurry up and finish..

blue73harley 8 years, 3 months ago

No snow!?! That will make it tough to hide the fruitcakes for our traditional fruitcake hunt.

even_money 8 years, 3 months ago

Look folks, if you really want it to be a white Christmas, take active measures and celebrate the holiday where snow is guaranteed. What is this passive expectation that just because you want something all you have to do is sit around and expect it to happen?

Wow. A rant about snow on Christmas. Next thing you know, I'll be telling Aunt Gertrude where she can get off with that thread-bare fake tree of hers.

Goodfella 8 years, 3 months ago

I am glad there is no snow. I like knowing that it is going to be in the 50s on Christas. That rocks.