Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrence needs another recreation center for indoor and outdoor sports?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on December 14, 2005

Browse the archives

“Yes. They need more places to keep these kids off the streets. They also need to offer more programs and take better care of the ones we have.”

“I would say that we have enough. They should just expand and improve those instead of building a new one.”

“It would be a good idea to put one over on the west side of town, because they already have ones in east and south Lawrence.”

“Yes. I think people could use another one. The Community Center and Holcomb are always really crowded. I think it would be a good idea.”

Related story

Comments

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

If the city/county wants to provide more sports activities for children perhaps it could consider working up a partnership with USD 497 using their existing facilities throughout the summer etc. Would the city consider picking up the tab for USD 497 sports activities which would remove the charge to parents? This could remove some humilitation to the lower income families and keep their children busy. This could be a big help to USD 497 as well.

I would prefer the city/county not become involved in a private business venture of this type. If sport to sport could not make it why go there? Perhaps these investors should take a hard look at the sport to sport facility and make it work with new investor dollars.

Perhaps this is where private investors could contribute? City may donate land for tennis center By Chad Lawhorn (Contact) Wednesday, December 14, 2005

City commissioners are interested in helping in a small way to assist a proposed indoor tennis center.

Commissioners unanimously directed staff members to work with Lawrence businessman Mike Elwell on a possible deal that would involve the city donating about 40,000 square feet of land to allow Elwell to expand a building at the current Sport 2 Sport facility, 5200 Clinton Parkway.

Elwell has purchased the building and plans on converting it into an indoor tennis facility. He needs the additional 40,000 square feet of city-owned ground that is to the north of the building to expand the building so it can accommodate six courts that will be built to standards that will allow the Kansas University tennis teams to compete on the courts.

City commissioners said they were open to donating the land if Elwell was willing to allow Lawrence Parks and Recreation to use the courts during the winter months for tennis programs or other uses. But commissioners also said they were not interested in providing any funding to help the center with operational costs.

Elwell has said he is asking for the land to be donated because the financial feasibility of an indoor tennis center already is questionable.

l_eustacy 9 years, 3 months ago

Perry Park would still be a good location - just South of the Harvard roundabout. If not Perry Park, then West of there.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

No, I believe that if they would stop cutting all of the extra activities from the schools, a lot of of the teenagers would be able to choose what they would like to do after school. For anything to be successful you have to get the kids more involved in the process. When they started cutting the programs and chargiing such high fees to be involved that left a lot of interested families unable to participate. I agree with Merrill on the agencys working together to get things back and to make it available to everyone regardless of income.

Sigmund 9 years, 3 months ago

I have always been amazed/dissapointed that Lawrence doesn't have a YMCA/YWCA facilitiies. In other cities they provide affordable child care, after school programs, and youth sports leagues; along with the more standard athletic and health facilitiies.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Can everyone say.............Family Fun Center.

I have brought this up plenty of time before. We need something like this here in Lawrence.

Hope the link works here.

Check it out, it's a great place for family fun. I went there when I was a teenager all the time. We could add a roller rink ( ice for the winter maybe ) and do without the waterpark since we already have two here.

Tell me what you think.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

italianprincess that is a great idea! A roller/ice skating rink would be greatly appreciated. I know a lot of kids that are intimidated to go to the outdoor parks to rollerskate because of some of the drinking, smoking and bad attitudes that some of the area kids have.

neopolss 9 years, 3 months ago

Isn't that what we built the roundabouts for? That's entertainment for hours!

Shelley Bock 9 years, 3 months ago

If this proposal is for a sports center comperable to outdoor facilities in Topeka (Hummer), Olathe (College Blvd), Shawnee Mission (overall facility development) and Blue Valley (Blue Valley West complex) which have been built this century, then it should receive the support of the entire community. It is a positive and needed proposal.

Lawrence high school facilities for baseball, soccer, softball and football are considered barely playable at best by local coaches and their opponents. In past years, soccer referees have even considered cancelling games because of dangerous field conditions that were caused by over use and lack of maintenance. Even soccer facilities in 4 A area schools such as DeSoto and Tonganoxie are better than exit in Lawrence.

In soccer alone, there are approximately 200 participants, boys and girls, at the high school level at LHS and Free State. They deserve adequate, safe facilities for their activities provided for by cooperation between the school district, local government and the private sector.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

I forgot to mention that this family fun center could be built in North Lawrence. The Tanger mall that sits there and collects dust could be used. The property to the left of the mall that is vacant could be used for mini golf and part of the buildings next to it could be used for the rest.

This would not only bring in buisness for our city, but maybe even bring families together. Who knows, but I do know that I don't like driving to Olathe to go to Jeepers in the mall or to Topeka to Chuck E Cheese.

If Lawrence is supposed to be so family friendly they say and want families to move here, then they should have fun things for them to do together. Sure we have the bowling alley ( which is always crowded ) with a game room that has really nothing. They took out lazer tag which was fun too. There aren't any other places here that you can go and have fun.

A family fun center would be great for birthday parties, rainy day or snowy day fun, and most of all family togetherness.

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

When did Sport 2 Sport close? It was still open when I left.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

I am also interested in when it closed? My kids used to go to the dances that they had there as early as last year.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

As you can see my little daycare kids are running late this morning.

Having a family center would also be good employment. This would mean more employment for high school kids who have a hard time finding work. Having a family fun center at the Tanger mall would be great too. Right off the I-70 for people traveling to see. We are smack in the middle in KC and Topeka also.

Can you tell I really want one here???????

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

It seems a miniature golf course could be fit in at the sport to sport facility? If the city would partner with USD 497 perhaps good programs could be better? This is not a situation where tax dollars should be spent on feasibility studies.

Lawrence has many recreational sports tools at it's disposal. Maintenance could be a 50/50 proposition between USD 497 and the city/county.

Free State High School has the aquatic center and lots of land. How can we make that work for everyone? Certainly Lawrence citizens can think outside the box.

Allow investors to partner with the city/county parks and rec. Centennial Park just needs people to use it. Maybe a tax deduction can be arranged for citizens to donate sums of money?

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

It's true, there's one 10 min from my house Bob. It's awesome. I can't wait until my daughter gets old enough to take her.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

I would also like to see the bike trail finished before taking on other very high dollar ventures.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

OK, a topic I can sink my teeth into!

Yes, yes, yes! I'm with Sigmund on this. I am also astounded that Lawrence does not have a YWCA or YMCA. (The po-dunk town I grew up in does.) It also has no roller rink, ice rink, or minature golf. (The po-dunk town I grew up in has all.) One bowling alley? Where are the neighborhood ballparks? Oh, I guess I've seen a slim few.

This city offers no recreational classes to kids who choose NOT to be competitive in swimming. LPR offers "learn to swim" classes but if you are a child that just wants to swim: you either do competitive swimming or swim on your own and hope aquahawks doesn't kick you out of your lane.

This city did away with their competitive gymnastics program. Gone! Tons of kids got swept under the rug on that deal...I won't even get started on my rant.

This city needs at least one LARGE rec center. One big enough to house indoor sports. Oh, and for a change, lets put it across the river...not on the west side. (I'm sick of driving, let others do it for a change) Let's put it next to Tanger Mall. The ground is big enough and also for sale. Even easy to get to...just off of I-70. Might attract some outside money. Especially if it housed gymnastics or an ice rink.

I think our kids are second class citizens in Lawrence. They really need more attention. I know I'll get told by some to go back to my po-dunk town from which I came but I just can't. Hubby and work are here. And despite my ranting I do love Lawrence. It just needs to pull it's head out and look around. If less prosperous towns can offer more to their kids, why do our priorities seem so askew?

calmly stepping off my soapbox

hawkrew 9 years, 3 months ago

That's too bad about Sport 2 Sport, I interned there and it was a great place for the kid's leagues. If the money's there I think it would be a great idea for a quality center.

betti81 9 years, 3 months ago

Mini-golf :) there used to be one out by where target is now. i loved going to that place. it had an icecream shop and batting cages too! it was the best. IP, your ideas are wonderful. Tanger is such a waste of space. I live in Wichita now and went to "All-Stars" which is a place with go-carts, rides, mini-golf and games for my birthday. it was fun for me (at 24) and the kids were there in October. They have two locations. I bet it is packed during the spring and summer. Lawrence definitely needs something like that. Tanger is a great place to put it too. I am just getting all dreamy thinking about it. The pool is great, but it is always crowded. adding more places for families to go is always a good idea. heck, my family is in town right now and we sooo would have gone to a place like that. IP, you should push hard for this idea!

mom_of_three 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes, Lawrence needs a facility like this. We do have YSI, 4H, and Holcum Sports Complex, but they are very spread out. A centralized locale would be great, with larger indoor facilities than sport2sport. Too bad they can't turn the old E & E building into something like this. You couldn't have outdoor sports there, but look at the space for indoor. If a facility such as this is built, it could be used for school sports, lease by the district, but I wouldn't want to partner. I think it would put too many limits on it.

bankboy119 9 years, 3 months ago

Bob the link provided a lot of useful information. If people would read what the city's goals are I think they would be as surprised as I was. It is ridiculous that they want to expand their tax base and provide business incentives (which they should) but have 0 ideas for how to do it. Obviously there is something wrong if the few businesses that are started are being forced to close down. But again, how are they going to attract new businesses to Lawrence if they do not even have any ideas.

Kookamooka 9 years, 3 months ago

I grew up in St. Louis and felt there were always wonderful public places in which to play. I, too, feel the children of Lawrence are a sub-class that the citizens would prefer to see and not hear. More needs to be done to add family entertainment that doesn't involve RETAIL. When I first came to KU in the 80s there was a roller rink, a dollar movie house and a putt putt golf place. All were located on South Iowa and all were shut down in favor of "SPRAWLMART". Shopping is our only recreation now. Parks and Rec is getting overwhelmed and could use another space. I hope they add an ice rink so our kids aren't embarrassed to ice skate in other parts of the country. It's a lot of fun!

Kookamooka 9 years, 3 months ago

By the way, if you go to the Columbia Missouri website, they have a link to all kinds of fun family activities in the city but the Lawrence website only features activities College students would be interested in, you know, bars, clubs, late night music venues. Lawrence is Pathetic. I'm on the verge of moving to Columbia. (At least my kids won't be confused about "intelligent design"-my five year old thinks that means Bionicles invented the earth)

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

Yep North Lawrence could use some rec attention and I believe that the sport to sport property has room to expand and become more than what it is. The building could use a wood floor.

In spite of what I suggested that may be to far west for miniature golf to succeed. How about the train park? The trees,flower beds and locomotive could remain in place.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Do you think the the commiss reads any of these posts to see what our thoughts are?

Richard Heckler 9 years, 3 months ago

IP and others:

mikeamyx515@hotmail.com">p>mikeamyx515@hotmail.com, dschauner@sunflower.com, Mike Rundle mike@mikerundle.org, Sue Hack suehack@sunflower.com, Boog Highberger boog@lawrence.ixks.com

canyon_wren 9 years, 3 months ago

Since I'm not a Lawrence resident anymore, I am not up-to-date on what it does offer kids. I do have a comment about roller rinks, though. In the lat 50s and early 60s the Lawrence roller rink was really a great spot. Nowadays they are fading out everywhere. My theory on it is--when they changed from using Ken Griffin and Lenny Dee organ music to skate to (which was usually waltz time or something smooth) to popular music, no one could really skate "in rhythm" even though most of the kids didn't realize that. Skating rinks then became just a place to tear around at, and regular skaters quit going.

I know that "schmaltzy" music would never go over again, but skating sure lost its magic when they quit playing "useful" music! Just a thought!

hurlehey 9 years, 3 months ago

Didn't there used to be a rec centerin North lawrence in the 60's? Anyway i use all three of the cities rec centers nearly every week and it's my opinion that we just need slight upgrades to the current ones.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Merrill and I believe I will email everyone of them during my lunch break.

Back to work for me now........had a special guest here today talking about Hanukkah. Yes I know its a bit early for that, but this year all 3 holidays are right on top of each other.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

Maybe if all the politics and school board members thought of what to give back to the children instead of take away from them all the time they would have had something in place for them already. I think Tanger Mall would be a great step. It is just sitting there without anything working. It would be nice to attract visitors to something other than a sports game. If you look around there isn't much for families to do. I have brought my kids to the Holcomb rec and it was so crowded that we ended up leaving. Even the waitiing lists were crazy long. As far as the bowling alley most of the older kids hang out there so what do we do with the younger ones? It is used more for a dropoff area than an actual fun environment. I was sad to see the Laser tag go away. The kids had a great time with that.

Kathleen Christian 9 years, 3 months ago

WE NEED A ROLLER/ICE SKATING RINK for the kids and family & sports activities.

Kathleen Christian 9 years, 3 months ago

Miniature golf and batting cages would also be an activities that kids would like and could learn from.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 9 years, 3 months ago

I always thought if I wanted my on business, I would open a miniature golf/skating rink/ arcade/party room place for families. Lawrence could use a business like that. In the winter when the miniature golf was slow, there would be the skating and vice versa in the summer. There would always be the arcade, maybe 1 for the youngsters, and 1 for the teens. A recreation area with junk food would be for visiting, eating, and there could be party rooms for private parties. I don't want to open my own business, but I think something like this could be a success in Lawrence.

thomgreen 9 years, 3 months ago

I agree with most of the comments in here. All-Stars in Wichita would be a great model to follow for just fun activities. A roller/ice rink would be fun addition too. Not knowing the business model, or what all it involves, but I would guess the initial stumbling block for any private entity to start something like that here in town is the sheer cost of land anymore. I think that most of the large chunks of land are pretty expensive, and it would take a huge initial investment with no history of success in this area. But that's all speculation and I could be completely wrong. A private/public partnership could be the way to go, but even that could get pretty sticky. However, it would be nice to see additional options for the younger crowd to do here in town.

Mari Aubuchon 9 years, 3 months ago

Just a couple of ideas:

Maybe someone ought to survey local kids and teenagers as to what kinds of activities and facilities they would like to see in Lawrence. I suspect that their answers might be different than those of adults.

We should also ask why Sport2Sport closed before re-creating something similar.

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Afternoon everyone..........Well I'm on my lunch now and I'm going to email each city commissioner. I posted another post on the actual article today and it of course it relates to what I have said in here with a few new things added.

A new sports complex= NO

A new football stadium for the high schools to use= Yes This gives them a place to play and no money coming from the budget to have to pay for the use of KU and Haskell.

A family fun center we need=Yes. Gives families something to do together and will bring in both money and employment to our city.

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

Mari speaks sense.

There really isn't any good in spending money on a sports facility, or a rec facility, if students are really thinking that they'd like someplace to go hang out and listen to music (are there any under-18 music clubs in Lawrence?), or a skating rink, or just more park and hiking space.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

TOB, 1st: kid of the 80's? You puppy! You are much younger than I had you pegged. 2nd: Let's compare Lawrence to the po-dunk town I grew up in...St. Joe, MO. St. Joe has WAAAAAAY more for the kids than Lawrence (see my 8:41 post). 3rd: I just asked my 11 year old that I picked up sick from school today...she wants an ice rink.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 3 months ago

Tom..I was part of West and I would have loved something free to do with the kids. My son decided what school he went to and that his friends were in. It had nothing to do with money or not. I lived in East Lawrence before my oldest moved back in with me. I agree with most of the posts for today and it seems there are a lot of good ideas to talk to children about. blue73harley I haven't seen baristas in Key West but maybe it was just too crazy at Fantasy Fest to recognize anyone. LOL

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

TOB, I agree that an ice rink would be better for a private enterprise. However, Lawrence does, IMHO, need a large facility for wintertime activities for the kids. Let's just talk the gymnastics program, for instance. Great all around exercize, and LPR already has the equipment but no facility to house it in. Just sittin' somewhere getting dusty. I don't know if they are paying to store the equipment. They need nothing more for this sport other than adequate space.
LPR has very few winter sports activities for our youth. Most is geared towards adults. I've looked many times trying to find a winter activity for my 11 year old that she and I could even do together. Middle Eastern Bellydance (while I'm sure is a wonderful activity) didn't really appeal to her. (Thank goodness...I wouldn't want my "had a couple kids" belly jiggling around in public.)

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Well I just emailed all the city commissioners a long letter regarding this sports complex. Of course they all went through but the mayors. His didn't work, so I'm going to email one of them and ask if they would please pass it along to him.

Lets see who emails me back and how long it takes.

123..........Family Fun Center.........Woo Hoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nlf78 9 years, 3 months ago

I personally think our community would benefit MORE from a YMCA/YWCA. They do alot for the Topeka community, why shouldn't the Lawrence community open one and reap the benefits? The YW has affordable daycare services, battered women services and family services. On top of that they have many family activities, indoor sports/swimming facilities. I'd rather be a member of the Y than just a regular gym. The benefits are definitely worth the cost.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

TOB, I'm not trying to be flippant here. I missed your point. Is it that you don't think public or private investors would find it lucritive? I really do want to know what people think.
When the gymnastics program got booted out of Robinson at KU, my hubby and I offered to build a suitable building for the same lease agreement. (We already have the land.) We figured we would get a building paid for and 1200 kids would keep their sport. Nobody would take us seriously. It could have been logistics. It could have been any number of reasons. I went to a city/LPR meeting and the gymnastics representatives were LITERALLY laughed at. They simply would not even discuss it. I thought this extremely distasteful. One man even said: "I have money for my sport, so I don't care about this." I could have choked him. Good thing I don't know his name...I'd probably become a stalker or something :P

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

nlf78, How do we woo the Y? I'll support that idea.

Confrontation 9 years, 3 months ago

It would be nice to have a family fun center/ymca somewhere. Maybe we'd have fewer brats hanging out at WalMart and other public places. Parents with bratty kids seem to like going to public places so that their kids become someone else's problem. It has been a very rare occassion when I've seen a kids with manners in this town!

nlf78 9 years, 3 months ago

I don't know, email ALL the city/county government officials. Then again, emails to the mayor don't go through ;) I've never been able to figure out how to get the city government to listen to ANY ideas.

But I think that the Y would be a good addition. They have after school programs, classes in everything from knitting to self defense. And to everyone who is mentioning developing in North Lawrence, I think the Y would fit in wonderfully.

akuna 9 years, 3 months ago

As long as there are enough fields for ultimate frisbee summer league, I say yes.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

nlf, I totally agree with you. I'll write a few letters and see if I can stir a pot or two. I grew up doing all kinds of programs at the Y. Seems shameful that a city this size doesn't have one.

nlf78 9 years, 3 months ago

Let me know what I can do to help! Give me some addresses and I'll start writing letters too!

Reader 9 years, 3 months ago

We As "North Lawrene Residents" Aren't Good Enough For One Decent Grocery Store? You Want To Stick A "Family Fun Center" In The Tanger Mall! Many Times I Have Said "What A Waste Of Space!" I've Said That The Building Could Be Used For A Number Of Things. And With I-70 Right There The Possibilities Are Endless! 1. The Farmers Market? Lots Of Open Space And Parking.(No They Still Want To Choke The Downtown Area And Keep It There!) 2. The City Libary? With All Those Different Store Fronts They Could Have Sections Of All Types, And Then Some. Theater, Computors, Meeting Rooms, Coffee Shop? (No, They Still Want To Keep It Downtown As Well. It'll Stay Downtown, And Won't Go No Where Else!) 3. Maybe, Just One Bank? Hopefully It Would Be Mine! Only One ATM Machine, To Serve All. (If They Can Stick A Bank In Places The Size Of Shoe Boxes. Just Think What They Could Stick In The Tanger Mall!) If I Remember Right, Someone Stated That They're Wasn't A "Sufficient Population Number" Over Here To Support A Grocery Store. Now, What Makes Them Think We Can Support A "Family Fun Center? Something North Lawrence Really Needs!" I Really Don't See Any Blue Blooded Parents Bothering To Drive "Their" Children All The Way Over To The North Side Just To Play! They'll Do It For "YSI" But I Really Doubt If They'll Do It For North Lawrence! No, They'll Probably Put It Somewhere They Already Have 2 or 3 Grocery Stores, 3 or 4 Banks, And Fast Food Places On Every Corner! Oh, And Not To Mention. We Do Have One Of The Niciest "Motor Cycle" Shop? Everyone's Just Beatn' Down The Doors To Get In! (As If) And I Might Say The Rest Of "That" Building Is Still "Vacant" As Well. Maybe The City Of Lawrence Will Give Us That "Family Fun Center" Or A "Recreation Center" Who Knows? But I Doubt It Very Much! The "City Of Lawrence" Brought These "Failed" Malls In! Why Can't They Put Them Back Into Good Use!! Just Ask The "Furniture Guy" Why "He" Moved Out Of North Lawrence To Downtown. I Bet It Wasn't Because The Rent Was Cheaper?" Now Once Again, "Another Empty Store Front To Fill!" It Would Have Been Nice To See The "Vistors Center" All Lit Up For The Hoiday! Even If It Was With The Same Lame Lights They Used Downtown! Nothing Was Done. Never Has Been! Never Will! Like I Said Before The "Buck" Stops At The End Of The Bridge! It Only Takes A Few Months To Lay "Miles Of Curbing Or Even Do Sewer Work", And How Long Did They Say It Was Going To Take To Repair That Intersection At 2nd And Locust??? I Think They Said 7 Years! Well Enough Of That, Everyone Have A "Wonderful Safe Holiday Season!"
These Are Just Some My Thoughts/Views For The Day Sometimes I Just Get So Frustrated! Until Next Time........................

nlf78 9 years, 3 months ago

Reader - I agree that North Lawrence needs a grocery store and that the Tanger Outlet eyesore could be put to good use.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

Reader, I feel your pain. I shopped at that grocery store many times. As for that big vacant building. That was one of the sites we proposed for moving the gymnastics program. If I had a nickel for every parent that said they wouldn't drive across the bridge! I don't live in N Lawrence, but I drive through every day. I even stop occasionally and buy gas, get some burgers at Johnny's, or visit a friend. Don't recall as I've ever been afraid. (Ignorance is ignorance in this case.)

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

nlf, I went to this site and got a phone # (1-800-872-9622).

I left a voice mail to Glenda Bowers who is in charge of doing feasibility studies and I also sent an e-mail.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 3 months ago

TOM, who said we didn't like north Lawrence? It seems to be everybody else with the problem.

Reader 9 years, 3 months ago

Tom_Foolery Never Did I Say "I Didn't Like North Lawrence!" We Just Want The Conviences Everyone Else Have. Without Having To Drive Clear Across Town To Get Them!

BTW Where Is It In Town Do You Live?

I Really Don't Think Thats To Much To Ask For!

Reader 9 years, 3 months ago

none2

Thanks For Your Concern! Really! I've Grown Up Here And Seen Alot Of Things Come And Go (Mostly Go) As For The Crime Rate, I Don't Think It's A Problem As Everyone Thinks It Is. "I" Never Had Any Problems. The Flooding? You Know, Who Would Get Flooded Out First? As I See It, Everything South Of Burchum Park Would Be Under Water Before North Lawrence Would. The Level On Our Side Is Much Higher. Heaven Forbid If We Should Get Any Amount Of Rainfall. Here, Or Up Stream. The Under Pass Has Always Flooded. The Line Is So Plugged Up From All The Debris That Gets Washed Down. Grocery Stores? We Don't Ask For A "Big One" Just One That Would Cater To Our Needs. ie; Such As Aldi's, Food 4 Less, Could Relocate (I Think I Mentioned That Before) The Dillions They Built Out West 6th & Wak. Would Be Just The Right Size. (Just As Long They Don't Price Gouge Us) People From All Around Would Use It. They Could Recieve Alot Of Business Off The Turnpike. Travelers Are Always Looking For A Place To Take A Break And Pick Up Things On Thier Road Trips! (We Do)

As For Downtown? Coming Our Way? We All Know That Won't Happen! Not Even Going There!

It Would Have Been Nice If The "Vistor's Center" Was Lit Up For The Holiday's. Didn't Happen, Won't Happen, Never Will Happen! Do You Think The City Could Maybe Dress Up The Light Poles (During The Holidays) Going Across The Bridge? Wouldn't That Be Cool? There Are All Sorts Of Things (Simple Things) That Could Draw People To North Lawrence. The City Just Doesn't Have The Imgination We Have To See It And Make It Happen! That's Why People Flock To "Orlando!" You See Where Everything Stops! As Soon As You Get Off The Bridge Going North Life Ceases To Exist! (From Some) And I Really Commend "Tellers" For Adding Some "Color" For The Season! The Blue Tree Is Great!! Somehow The Downtown Has Lost It Flare, The "Plaza" Wanna Be! Hell, Most Of The Time The Lights Aren't On, Or They're Out Here And There. At Least The "Plaza" Has A "Light Patrol!" To Make Sure "The Lights" Are Always On!

I Can Go On And On, Will See.............