Previous   Next

When do you start your holiday decorating?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 4, 2005

Browse the archives

“We usually do it on Thanksgiving Day to work off the turkey dinner.”

“I haven’t yet, but I’ve been meaning to. I usually start after Thanksgiving. I’ve just been too lazy.”

“About three weeks ago. I decorate the Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving every year.”

“I think my wife may have already started, but I haven’t done anything yet. Maybe tomorrow.”

Comments

b_asinbeer 9 years, 7 months ago

I like how Rachel Engler gave her answer in the past tense when the question did not ask it in the past tense. :o) Looks like Matt's the only one who answered the question being asked correctly. Attention deficit disorder, perhaps???

As for mine, I usually start either early december or late december. For some reason never in between.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 7 months ago

I usually start the day after Thanksgiving. I don't put up a Christmas tree though until the weekend before Christmas. I hate having the mess plus, I have a new Umbrella Cockatoo this year and she would think the tree is her own personal playground.

enochville 9 years, 7 months ago

sweatpeagj: lol, We have a cat and have been having fun trying to keep him out of the tree.

sweatpeagj 9 years, 7 months ago

yup, aren't pets so fun around the tree? You spend the entire time the tree is up redecorating because of beloved friends keep tearing the dang thing down. How many times do you want to hang the dang balls or restring the lights? Me?? Not twice..cats are great swatting everything around. Then in July you get to find all the balls that they hid. lol

trinity 9 years, 7 months ago

now that all my kidlets are grown&out of the house-decorating is coming later, this year. just not the enthusiasm for it, as there was in the past! :( and y'all think dogs, cats, birds, pets in general are tough on a tree&decorations-my lil' grandbabies are absolute menaces to 'em, lol! two little girls who could top the tree as angels-last year were barely one but could really do a number on gramma's decorations, plus a two year old grandson-need i say more?!

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

It is not exactly my decorating, but I just spent the last 3 days decorating my church sanctuary for Christmas. I received an email from the church secretary when I was in San Diego, could I please have the tree up for Dec. 4. Oh boy, did I have to scramble. But I got the whole platform done by yesterday pm. I looks smashing, if I do say so myself. All in gold, white and maroon. As for my own home I do not decorate until Dec. 23rd. It is an old family tradition and I like it. My parents always decorated on Christmas Eve, then we went to Midnight Mass and when we came home we opened the gifts that Santa had brought. But I am too busy on Dec. 24 preparing a Ukrainian 12 course meatless meal. Another tradition of my hubby's family. So the tree goes up the day before. Have a nice day all you lovely people.

justathought 9 years, 7 months ago

Day after thanksgiving. Wonder when this guy started...

trinity 9 years, 7 months ago

justathought, THAT was COOL!!! loved the score, too! thanks!

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm still working on the house. Got the tree up last night, and my little one and I will decorate it today. I will also be outside decorating the front of the house ( bundled up of course ).

I have been freakin so sick I'm just now feeling better to get something done around here.

Well if I don't get off here I won't even start so I can actually finish. My B-day is Tuesday and I like the house to be completely done before then.

Its going to get real cold today they are saying, so have a great Sunday everyone. Stay warm and drive careful.

justathought 9 years, 7 months ago

Yeah it is really cool, just as long as it isn't YOUR neighbor LOL.

Ceallach 9 years, 7 months ago

Early to mid-December. ms_canada, growing up my family always decorated the tree on Christmas Eve. Now I join my children's family on the other side for dinner, ornament exchange and Santa visits the little ones. My children, grandchildren and I have a traditional dinner on Christmas day and exchange gifts. This year my mother is coming North for the holiday, I hope it warms up before she arrives, otherwise we will never get her back here again :)

e_m, you are such a rascal!!! Mistress Claws indeed :) I believe you would have to make an entire year without a deleted post for Santa to consider bringing you that Although I'm sure my male in-laws would prefer that she drop by, doubt if she'd need to bring anything else!!

beatrice 9 years, 7 months ago

justathought: WOW! That truly is amazing. Thanks. You should post it again tomorrow, when we have more regulars around. (I just can't believe you were able to film my house on the same day e_m posts my picture!)

On a serious note, pet owners -- be careful with the tinsel on the trees. Cats love to eat it, but it doesn't digest. It gets caught up in their little intestines and stomach, and can lead to an expensive operation to remove. Same is true with gift-wrap ribbon. One of our cats is like a junkie around ribbon, so we are always careful with ribbon and decorations of any kind.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 7 months ago

There's really only one way to respond to Mistress Claus and that is: "Ho! Ho! Ho!"

If she helped me with X-mas decorations, maybe I would put some up sooner...

Jclarkson 9 years, 7 months ago

I wont do any decorating at my house.....I don't have the Christmas spirit anymore.

I honestly wouldn't mind taking a year off from Christmas. Forget about the decorations, gift giving, gift buying and everything. I wouldn't mind getting back to what Christmas should be about, instead of what it has become.

ms_canada 9 years, 7 months ago

Jclarkson - I understand how you feel. It all gets to be too much. People go to far overboard on the gift giving and the eating and drinking. I do hope that you will get back to what it is all about really. We have a little saying, goes like this, Jesus is the reason for the season That has always been the reason to celebrate to me and mine. My church looked so great this morning with the decor that I put up yesterday. I don't know how I got talked into doing the tree and platform each year, but I've been doing it for years and it sure gets me in the mood. And our Pastor gave such a wonderful message this morning about coming HOME for Christmas. We always talk about home being the best place for Christmas and it is true. Nice to be with family. But Pastor was talking about our true Home in Heaven with Jesus. It was a great message.
I do hope that you can get into the true spirit of Christmas, Jclarkson. Bless you.

Nachtwolf 9 years, 7 months ago

Well, actually, I've already begun to decorate my house. I feel, though, that the traditions aren't as nice as what I do--you know, instead of using lights on the tree, I like to use human entrails. Of course . . . It's really tricky finding a suitable source. I find that downtown at night-time works nicely. And, as I was always taught, waste not! I find that the limbs, fingers, hands, and other parts make nice ornaments. As for the star . . . Well, nothing quite shows the Christmas spirit like a burning skull.

killjoy 9 years, 7 months ago

b_asinbeer Interesting that you do Christmas decorations since you claimed you were a Muslim. Change religions?

You critique the interviewees like a juvenile.

Linda Endicott 9 years, 7 months ago

When I was a kid, we waited to put up the tree and decorations until a couple of weeks before Christmas, but we had real trees then...now that I have an artificial tree, I put it up and start decorating on Nov. 1...once Halloween is over, I consider it the Christmas season!

Have you seen the prices on those real trees lately? Wow...I don't know who could afford that...