Previous   Next

What instrument did you enjoy listening to the most?

Asked at the Kansas State Fiddling and Picking Championship on August 29, 2005

Browse the archives

“The fiddles, because I like the fast pace. The beats have a renaissance kind of sound that you can move to. It’s very beautiful.”

“The mountain dulcimer. A little girl played it earlier, and I think she was better at it than all of them.”

“I’m definitely a regular acoustic guitar type of guy, but I really like the banjo as well. I like it all though.”

“The mountain dulcimer. There was a young lady playing it, and it was amazing.”

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years ago

Has anyone seen "A Mighty Wind"? Nothing beats Catherine O'Hara playing the dulcimer & singing with Eugene Levy.

lunacydetector 9 years ago

i've never seen 'a mighty wind,' but my all time favorite album is 'break like the wind' by spinal pap.

blessed3x 9 years ago

If it is, your insurance won't cover it!

lunacydetector 9 years ago

...ummm...that's "spinal tap"

GreenEyedBlues 9 years ago

OMG! LMAO Lunacy that was about the funniest thing I think you've ever said on the board... Even if it wasn't intentional, I still laughed a lot.

Fangorn 9 years ago

"spinal pap"? Is that even anatomically possible?!

Ceallach 9 years ago

IP: regarding Katrina, DITTO!

canyon_wren 9 years ago

Since some of us weren't close enough to Lawrence to get to hear the music, I hope it is acceptable to respond to yesterday's question briefly.

I think Kansans (and other states in the "heartland") provide balance to the frenetic and sometimes irrational politics of the West and East coasts. Kansas' "liberal, populist ways" of the early 20th Century provided similar balance at a time it was needed.

I like the quote from Will and Ariel Durant (authors of CIVILISATION): "The conservative who resists change is as valuable as the radical who proposes it."

Where's Fangorn these days with his words of wisdom?

canyon_wren 9 years ago

Well, if I had read the posters more carefully, instead of simply the comments, I would have seen he was back. Glad to see it!

mr_daniels 9 years ago

Andean flute and string music with vocals almost always takes me away!

Ceallach 9 years ago

Since I did not attend and have never attended the Kansas State Fiddling & Picking Championship I can only assume they were all good. I think my favorite would have been the picking, in real life I am particularly fond of Classical Spanish Picking.

John Spencer 9 years ago

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

I didn't attend the event, but I don't think I could pick a favorite. Love 'em all!

Have a good morning, everyone!

italianprincess 9 years ago

Not really into the fiddling thing here when it comes to music. You could call me an old school rocker mostly.

Just wanted to say " God Bless all of those people having to deal with Katrina today ". Shes a huge one and I do hope everyone is as safe and sound as they can be.

Ceallach 9 years ago

What an exciting topic :- Guess I will go browse the other stories and see if there is any action there :)

ms_canada 9 years ago

Well, as you can guess, I did not attend your festival, but have attended fiddle fests here. I am rather partial to fiddle music especially if it has a celtic or appalachian feel to it. Also love MANdolin, bouzouki. And mr daniels, I agree with you on the andean flute music, absolutely enchanting. My hubby is of ukainian extraction and the hammered dulcimer is very big in the music of Ukraine. But I guess I would have to say that of the strings, harp is my all time favourite. Any kind of harp, big harps, little harps and those in between. Have been watching CNN this am and my heart goes out to the people of Louisiana and Mississippi. I have a very good friend who lives in N. Orleans. I hope she got out of there right now.

mlemiller 9 years ago

I love listening to the fiddle, and the banjo and mandolin. Just anything in that realm, really.

For those of you who enjoy listening to the fiddle, you should check out Jay Ungar's music if you haven't already. He's great.

italianprincess 9 years ago

The Superdome where so many people are right now is leaking in several places. Theres about possibly 25,000+ people in there.

Things are truely bad with Katrina as she blows through. Hopefully she will calm down some and give them a bit of a break.

italianprincess 9 years ago

I also want to Bless the soldiers as they leave here at the end of then month dammit. Makes me so mad to see more go and leave their families.

I know using Bless and dammit in the same sentence is wrong, but it makes me so mad to see more and more soldiers leaving to possibly face death. Not big into the war thing here can you tell.

May God watch over all of you and keep you safe from harm. May God also keep your families in his hands through this rough time in their lives also.

angelofmine 9 years ago

I spoke with my friend Diane yesterday morning, and she had been sitting on I-10 for the past half hour, parked. She said it is a madhouse. Luckily, her daughter and grandchild got out of N'Awlins two days before. She had to leave nearly everything she owned.

With all the people that either couldn't or wouldn't leave the city, the Red Cross is going to be needing blood. Those of you who can...donate!

lunacydetector 9 years ago

there's nothin' better than watchin' someone a pickin' and a grinnin,' especially at a stop light.

wichita_reader 9 years ago

ld is just full of one liners today.

Richard Heckler 9 years ago

IP and Celleach:

The oil companies/traders could use your compassionate thoughts today instead the price of oil went to $70 per barrel which is a $3.00 increase because of Katrina according to CNN news. There was a chevron station nearby with $3.19.9 per gallon posted.

The damage from Katrina will probaly require years to repair.

italianprincess 9 years ago

Merril,

Are you here in Lawrence? Where nearby was this posted?

The damage is bad and its going to get worse. Katrina is still causing trouble and shes not going to stop anytime soon. I keep checking the news and the catagory 5 has gone down, but the winds and rain is bad. Yes, its going to take years for repair and with 2 more out in the sea brewing right now they can only hope for the best right now.

Hope everyone there is safe and out of harms way.

Ceallach 9 years ago

merrill: I don't know if you meant to say 'instead' in your post regarding our compassionate thoughts :) ?are those the same as prayers :)? Shucks, we can just cover them all, takes very little extra time.

Seriously, there are huge numbers of people employed by the oil companies and their households depend on the refineries, they are doubly hit by storm damage. I have a distant relative who is an oil trader. He assures me that they do everything they can to keep prices down (he also buys himself and his mother a new Caddy each winter with his annual bonus).

GreenEyedBlues 9 years ago

I love Tina Turner! Did anyone see What's Love Got To Do With It on HBO or something last night?

sunflower_sue 9 years ago

Speaking of musical instruments...outside of Chipotle tonight their was a young boy playing trumpet with a donation cup and a sign reading: "Please help send my sister to Nationals". I thought, "how noble of him to be helping his sibling"...so I stuck in a couple bucks. THEN, I finished reading the sign and saw that "Nationals" was a beauty pageant and that "Stage Mom" was chomping some Chipotle and watching on as the kids did her bidding. I could have kicked myself! I don't know how anyone else feels about beauty pageants, but I really dislike them. Ohhhhh, I am throughly disgusted with myself. That will teach me to read more throughly!

Ceallach 9 years ago

sun_sue: Don't be so hard on yourself. Your intentions were good. Place the disgusted feeling where it belongs, on the mother that uses her kids that way, not on yourself for trying to help someone out.

e_m: I guess our rowdiness yesterday wore the staff out to the point that they needed a slow post day to recouperate :) I'm now beginning to believe the staff may have a delete quota that must be met:):)

Your honor, I continue to proclaim my innocence (regarding the deleted post :) Here I stand; I can do none other.

italianprincess 9 years ago

LOL......you just made my night.

lunacydetector 9 years ago

i taotlly ejnoy a smrceaing giatur form tmie to time.

pertty nteao.