Previous   Next

Are you planning on attending the cardboard boat race at Clinton Marina?

Asked at Saturday morning on Massachusetts Street on August 21, 2005

Browse the archives

“I am going. It’s a great cause, and it sounds like fun.”

“No. I’m not planning to attend. It sounds cool, but I’m not sure it will even be possible with the weather.”

“No. I hadn’t heard anything about it, but if I was going out on my boat at the lake, I would check it out for sure.”

“I would probably go, but I already had plans to celebrate my birthday.”

Related story

Comments

lunacydetector 8 years, 8 months ago

i plan on attending next year for the very next year a day after the race, just as i planned last year, a day after the race to go this year...

one_more_bob 8 years, 8 months ago

Just didn't float my .............

midwest_wingnut 8 years, 8 months ago

Day-late cardboard boats just don't bring the posters, do they...

Jayhawk226 8 years, 8 months ago

I can definitely understand how those early release days can be a major inconvenience to parents/families.

Gootsie 8 years, 8 months ago

Thank goodness my nest is empty. My oldest will be 29 this month and my youngest turned 18 in May and has her own apartment. My middle child got married in July.

Life is good.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Just added it up...Tongie gets out 27 days (but some are days like Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas that you wouldn't normally be working anyway). So that is also 24 working days to find a sitter...but then we don't have early out Wednesdays.

Jayhawk226 8 years, 8 months ago

sunflower--

The early release Wednesdays are intended for the district and individual buildings to provide ongoing professional development to its faculty and non-certified staff members.

Our schools contain students of such a high varying number of needs, it has become essential to further train certified staff members on how to meet these needs.

The days have come and gone when teachers could be provided teaching autonomy and just "teach." We are now mandated to adhere to so many standards, benchmarks, expectations, test scores, proficiency and progress marks...that even the best, master teachers must collaborate with their administrators and fellow teachers to figure out how to succeed.

The idea of early release days comes from the successful educational models in Europe and Asia.

America is just always behind educational trends...it is appropriate that our testing scores are also lagging behind our international counterparts. We have operated on an archaic system for far too long now.

Outdated and out-of-touch with our current demographic of students in schools.

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

sun_sue: I do not know the reasons given for early out Wednesdays. It is my understanding that teachers do not have that time "off." I think they remain at school and do other things related to their class during that time. I know from my colleagues at work that working parents have to be pretty creative sometimes to make sure their children are cared for on the many days per school year that children are out during the regular work/school week.

even_money 8 years, 8 months ago

Ceallach, your assessment is an accurate one. However, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that the time the kids do get to spend in school is for the most part a well-organized effort, allows the kids to develop in many positive ways and, in my book, is a productive experience for them. With the passing of the bond issue, the ceilings of the classrooms likely will not be falling in on students and teachers alike. The public schools should be able to budget in such a way that they can heat the buildings this winter.

In many ways I have it good because my schedule is more flexible than many parents I know. Especially parents who commute to jobs outside Lawrence. So I shouldn't be complaining.

It's just that everything seems to be stretched tighter and tighter as time goes on, and it's a situation that appears to me to be one which is becoming ever more and more stressful for everyone involved.

End of rant.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Since my children do not attend school in Lawrence, can someone please explain to me this whole "getting out early on Wednesdays" thing? I don't understand what purpose this serves.

e_m, I can understand your view of all the days off. Times like these I'm glad that I have the good fortune to be a stay-at-home Mom. I don't know how I would manage if I had to work (outside the home). Kudos to you working parents and fellow ark builders.

Ceallach 8 years, 8 months ago

No, I do not plan to attend yesterday.

Sooooooo, if we now go off topic and are scathingly chastised, wouldn't that validate an accusation of entrapment against LJW :)

Does David or one of his Davlets monitor the board on the weekend? I seldom have an opportunity to check or participate on the weekends so I can't remember.

e_m: it is very rough on parents with the number of days our children are not in school, and that is not even including Wednesday afternoons. How long until someone gets a clue that there may be a connection between this, out of school so often system, and the fact that educational scores are drop, drop, dropping? Teachers are overworked and underpaid, parents are spending more and more time supplementing their children's educations at home, test scores are not encouraging and no one seems to know the answer. Okay, I better stop now, I'm getting depressed and it is already a cloudy day. I'm stopping now and will try thinking sunshine thoughts :-\

Jayhawk226 8 years, 8 months ago

Well now your kid has an activity to do on the days off...beats video games or homework.

even_money 8 years, 8 months ago

Looking at the current "Parent Information Newsletter" for Lawrence Public Schools, I just added up the required days I need to take off (unless I make alternate arrangements) for the 2005-2006 school year due to classes not being held on the following days where I am expected to be at work:

09/05 Labor day 09/23 conferences 10/14 staff development / reporting 10/21 conferences 11/23-25 Fall recess 12/23, 26-30 'Winter' recess 01/02-03 'Winter' recess 01/04 reporting 01/16 MLK holiday 02/27 professional development 03/10 staff development / reporting 03/20-24 Spring break

This all adds up to 24 days during the work week which I need to be off from work.

My job offers 15 paid vacation days per year.

There goes any time for building a boat.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 8 months ago

Since it was yesterday, um, no!

Will we get scolded for going off topic today?

even_money 8 years, 8 months ago

This sounds to me to be a perfect invitation to spend the entire day off topic.

Here's another Lance A. Fahy tune for you: http://lithiumlite.com/Rambler.wma

Gootsie 8 years, 8 months ago

Oh for heavens sake. It WAS yesterday. .

E_M, what's a girl to do???

Kookamooka 8 years, 8 months ago

The boat race was YESTERDAY!!!! TOO LATE Journal World!!!

even_money 8 years, 8 months ago

Now, a beer can boat race would certainly be a blast! Especially if we all drank the beer just beforehand.

even_money 8 years, 8 months ago

The article hasn't been linked yet as far as I can tell. I suspect is this one:

Sounds like lots of fun. Too bad we built our entry out of plastic bags. Do you suppose there might be a plastic bag boat race sometime too?

sharron5rs 8 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know anything about it until I read On The Street. Sounds like something my grandkids would get a kick out of. Just when is it? No time or date noted.