Previous   Next

What is your favorite international cuisine?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 27, 2005

Browse the archives

“Italian. I like the alfredo sauce. It’s really filling and inexpensive to make.”

“Mexican. I like the variety and the hot and spicy flavor. I love having chips with all the different dips, especially if they are homemade.”

“Indian food. I like that a lot of it is vegetarian and it’s all very tasty.”

“Japanese. Everyone is always so happy when they have a mouthful of sushi.”

Comments

morris_the_cat 10 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Your cat was 20 years old when it croaked??!! Holy cow!!

Geez, that's gotta be the equivalent of about 120 years to you and me! I'd say that was a long life! And feeble towards the end, you say? Yeah, I bet! You know something, Canada person? You ought to feel happy that your kitty has (finally)gone up to that "great big litter box in the sky", because 20 years of life was more than enough life for her--and 20 years was more than enough time for you and her to spend "quality time" together.

Consider yourself lucky! At least you didn't wake up one morning several years back and found yourself standing out on your front lawn retrieving your morning paper, and there, out in the middle of the road, in plain sight, was your little furry friend--stiff as a board, after having been hit by a car the night before! And needless to say, the sight of those crows perched on top of her jockeying for position so as to see which lucky bird gets to pluck at the eyeballs first, I'm sure would have caused you to faint right-then-and-there on your dew-covered front lawn!

Hey!, cats don't live forever on this Earth...and neither will you! So go out and adopt yourself another kitty and who knows? Since you won't say how old you are, my guess is that you're getting up there,(And by the way, real ladies can and do admit their age! Only women who are uncomfortable with the way they look--and death too, perhaps--refuse to give their age. Not admitting one's age is a sign of incredible immaturity! Actually, it's a mind-boggling example of immaturity! Just face up to your advanced age, woman! Just admit it to everyone and be done with it!)...anyway, back to what I was saying....Yeah, so maybe the next cat you get (should it live 20 years) will out live you! Who knows? If that ends up being the case, please be sure to instruct your loved ones to keep your ashes in a safe place, like out in the garage! Because you know how cats can be! They're inquisitive and they like to rip, and scratch, and claw at everything they can wrap their little paws around! And you wouldn't want "Toonces" to get into your urn and scatter your ashes all over your living room rug, now would you??!! YIKES!

Jayhawk226 10 years, 2 months ago

Zzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzz (I'm going back to bed now!)

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

Gonna have to go with Ms. Levy. Sushi is the best thing ever.

neopolss 10 years, 2 months ago

This is an obvious attempt to calm the comment section down a bit. C'mon everyone, argue over something!

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

Whatever. They do this from time to time, and there's no reason at all to get worked up over it. It's not like they have to have a freakn intelligent, or at least controversial question ever @#$% day, you know?! But no, there's just no pleasing people like neopolss. Try to talk about tasty food and it's just yark yark yark c'mon we should all try and argue more and I just say snap! cuz I really don't like to argue or anything but you all can just go straight to. . . !!! And another thing!!!. . . . hack hack cough Let me just get one thing straight in your head tho. . . . . !!!!!

/collapses onto keyboard, frothing at the mouth

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 10 years, 2 months ago

My vote goes to authentic Mexican food; very robust and full of flavor. Brazilian food takes second place on my list.

CroCop 10 years, 2 months ago

Definately chinese/asian food. Sweet and sour shar-pei with fried rice, mmmmmmmm

staff04 10 years, 2 months ago

Ethiopian food is incredible. Very similar to Indian flavors, with curries and lots of spice in the sauces, but instead of being served over rice, it is served with this spongy, moist flatbread that become your only utensil.

Mexican on SW Blvd is something I miss about living in that area. Sol Azteca and Manny's were my favorites.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

Italian food is the best. From the red sauces of my ancestors' northern home to the seafood dishes of the Sicilians. Because you know we Italians either invented or improved every worthwhile thing the world has ever seen. DaVinci. Pasta. //rant// Cartography. Mussolini. Astronomy. (OK, scratch Il Duce.) //rave// Architecture. Sophia Loren. We've contributed far more than all you "lesser" peoples, like Floridians or . . . . Broncos fans! //pant, pant//

//signs off to go light candles at personal shire to the Motherland//

PS Middle Eastern food is good, too. I'm always up for hummus!

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

Morris_the_"Cat": Apparently you selected a username just so it would be humorous for you to say it is OK to eat dogs. You've obviously never owned a cat, or you'd have some idea how ms_canada feels. I very much hope that your little rant was drug-induced b/c I'd hate to think that someone is innately that insensitive and rude. Before you accuse someone of "incredible immaturity", go back and read some of her posts. She is a kinder soul than most you'll ever meet. I can really only speak for myself but I think that others on this board also appreciate her insights and outside perspective.

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

Mexican food. The_Original_Bob -- if you are ever in the Rio Grand Valley slip across the border at Progresso, go to Garcia's (a wonderful restaurant located above the Canada Ca-NA-dah store) and order the Garcia Platter. Be prepared to relax and be pampered with excellent food, service and atmosphere. You will also like the check.

Topside 10 years, 2 months ago

Bierocks, homemade bierocks! Meat, kraut/cabbage, all in a flaky krust. German food is the best baby you have all you'll ever need in the three Greman food groups. 1-Meat, 2-Potatoes, 3-Beer.

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

Fangorn: although it was implied, you forgot DRAMA. btw, Sophia is lovely but she does not qualify as a drama representative.

Also, I think history will confirm the great lack of genuine wit or charm in Italy before the people and the spoils of Ireland were carried to Rome.

raven 10 years, 2 months ago

I personally like just about all foods. I love Mexican, but am always up for Italian as well. You can't beat Chinese (I even like the more unauthentic stuff) and have a wonderful time at a Japenese steak house! Finally, I am also a big fan of Middle Eastern cuisine. I am happy as long as there is good food, good friends and good fun!

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

Well, if I can find Ethiopian food in Lawrence, for sure I will have to make a trip south. This is my all favourite food in the world. Indian runs a very close second. I am with you Staff04. The bread you described is so delicious, agreed. For those who have never tried this food, please do, you will be surprised. The presentation is so unique. A large platter is spread with the enjeera (the crepe like bread) then the food is put on in little piles around the platter. A side dish is provided with more enjeera. You tear off little pieces and scoop up the food and pop it in your mouth. At the end you can eat the liner enjeera that has become soaked in the sauces. The bread is made from millet flour and the dough is allowed to ferment for several days. The chef at the small restaurant told me how she makes it. Yummmmmmmmmm!!!

remember_username 10 years, 2 months ago

I think this question was incredibly insensitive to people on diets. After reading my fellow posters I must go find food! (I swear my mouth is actually watering right now). Oh, and it must be a light Italian Salad plus optional Ethiopian Peanut Soup, with Afghanistan Qabili Pilau (Lamb, rice, glazed carrot shavings, and raisins) for the main course, and Greek Baklava for desert. Why go with one International cuisine.

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

I went to the Ethiopian restaurant last Friday night. I loved the food, but have to admit, I did not care for the bread. Next time I plan to get their food to go then drop by the Mediterranean Cafe and pick up some pita on my way home :)

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Yeh! I like this question but I'm a foodie. My vote is for Japanese and Ethiopian. Both have been my favorites for years. I was lucky enough to go to Japan my Freshman year of high school. I feel in love with the cuisine and culture. I tried everything that was offered while my compatriots whined for McDonald's. I believe that when travelling you must try native foods. Its part of the experience. And I "discovered" Ethiopian food on a trip to Washington D.C. with my dad. I love the complex spiciness and the injera makes eating fun. Thank goodness we have so many choices in Lawrence now. Oh and I must say that tapas happy hour at La Bodega in KCMO is to die for. So throw Spanish in there as well.

Not to sound pissy but is CroCop implying that Asians eat dogs? A Shar-pei is a dog, isn't it? I'm part Asian and its SUCH a tired cliche.....Thats all. Not trying to start a fight or nothing!

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

Morris - I sure can't figure out what you hoped to accomplish by your post above. But I'll tell you what you DID accomplish. You showed all and sundry what an incredible immature individual you are. And for your information, my Camille did not end up on the street because I cared for her very well. I never went to bed one night in those 20 years without her being safe indoors. About my age, it is none of your business. If we were face to face, you could probably guess how old I am. But, heh, what the heck difference does it make to the price of wheat in China, how old I am or you for that matter. And anyone with any brains could tell how old you are as soon as you open your mouth. Anyway, now that you have expressed a bit of vitriol, maybe you will have a happy day.

Chris Beightel 10 years, 2 months ago

Nothing satisfies like sauteed soul of a young soldier and a chalice of the blood of the worker. I can almost feel the money pouring out of my pores.

merrywidow033 10 years, 2 months ago

original bob, it's on downtown mass. (10th and Mass if i'm not mistaken) it's called Addis Ababa. i haven't eaten there yet, (been too broke to eat fancy food).

my favourite food is.. almost anything! thai is probably closest to my heart tho. with bagels and knishes close second :)

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

FYI to Campus Contributors: today's Kansan has coupons for 2 East Indian restaurants in Lawrence. The "Campus Coupons" insert (one coupon is a much higher savings than the other). If you have not been to Ruchi's this would be a good time to try it.

morris_the_cat 10 years, 2 months ago

Canada person: I'm guessing you're about 70 (or there abouts). Also, reread my post. Carefully! I did not say your cat was found in the road, I (essentially) said that at least your cat lived a long life and was not struck down sooner in its life by a car, and that you needed to be greatful for that.

Geez! Put your glasses on before you sit down to read these posts, granny!

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Chinese food freaks me out. If ever you've been food poisoned by three different Lawrence chinese restaurants you'll be leery of the cuisine for sure. I also can't believe you think sushi is the best Jonas. Uck. That seaweed paper is like eating....seaweed paper. Give me cajun food anytime. I want some andouille ettufe and some shrimp gumbo. A big ole mess of crawfish with boiled taters and some hush puppies. Man, that makes me miss home.

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Oh lord, I misspelled etouffe. My ma'maw would be horrified!

jayhawktownie 10 years, 2 months ago

before i would have said that mexican food was my favorite, especially EL MEZCAL featuring white cheese sauce but i have recently discovered that TRYAKI, the new chinese place on 23rd st is open till 3 am on the weekends and therefore is the greatest dining experience ever.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

yummy_for_my_tummy, you're a class act, pal but recess is over. Time to go learn some tact....

And isn't the food supposed to be international, acg?

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years, 2 months ago

So many foods, so little time...

My mood at the moment leads me to say that some Pad Thai would be the best. To drink- a strawberry martini from P.F. Chang's. For dessert - some Norwegian fruit soup.

jonas 10 years, 2 months ago

acg: Nori is tasty to me, but you certainly don't have to like it, if you don't care to. (nori is the name of the seaweed wrap)

However, cajun food is certainly quite tasty as well. I had my bachelor party in New Orleans, and my best man's aunt, whose house we were staying at, made us some crawfish and shrimp for dinner that was wonderful. The Jazz in Westport is quite tasty as well, but certainly no real comparison.

If you want good Japanese food, though, Gojo's at 41st and Broadway in Westport is amazing, and amazingly cheap. Fifteen dollars'll get you a 5 course, enormous meal. And they cook it at the table in front of you, Habachi style.

Carmenilla: Who's Yummy-For-etc. ? Did his post get deleted?

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

He was a hemmoroid that was inflamed, jonas but he must have been removed (not by me though).....

Also, have you been to Jun's on Wornall or is it State Line? That place is affordable and delicious. What cracks me up about people's opinions on sushi is that most of them have never tried it. But they know its "gross"!!! Man, I think McDonalds is gross. Go figure...

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 10 years, 2 months ago

Regarding the stereotype regarding Asians eating dogs, yes it's a tired cliche, but in some places it really happens. A friend of mine ate dog in Thailand. It wasn't a Shar Pei, though. She said it was a German Shepherd mix. A few months later in Cambodia, she had ox blood soup...still warm from the just-killed animal. She said it was tough to swallow, but she was hungry enough to finish it off.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Asians eat dogs SOMETIMES!!! Its a delicacy. Its not in every dish. I just hate that this assumption has now been transformed into an exceptable form of stereo-typing. And aren't we all so sick of stereotyping? I am... Especially when it comes to Asians. We can't drive, we eat cats and dogs, etc. ENOUGH. Try some cultural understanding here people.

And as far as eating "wierd" food goes, the whole world probably thinks we are disgusting for eating chemically enhanced overly processed food. AND its making us all FAT!!

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Oh excuse the hell out of me carmenilla for not going with international cuisine in my response. It's okay, though, I know we can always rely on you to expose other's mistakes, flaws, misspellings, etc. That must be a full time job for you, being the picture of perfection and all. :)

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey acg, lighten up. My tone was not accusatory, only questioning. But as I think more about it, creole cooking is so mixed with French and African it is international. And yummy! Also, you're awfully thin-skinned considering you told jonas "I can't believe you think sushi is the best...Uck." You can deal it but you can't take it, huh?

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

And I hate it when people call out others on their misspellings. I never said I was perfect but if you think I am AWESOME!!! :-P

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

Unless you are talking about corn soup, fry bread, or any other tasty Native American menu item it's all international food. Speaking of that, nothing is better on a cold winter's day than a piping hot bowl of chili with cheese, fry bread and honey. Yum.

We do have difficulty sticking to one topic and can get more than a little rowdy at times. Through posts we may get glimpses of each other that we do not like, but hey, sometimes we get glimpses of ourselves we don't like. I have found this forum to be informative and for the most part good natured, that keeps me returning.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Not only that but you corrected your own misspelling. Why you gotta hate on me?

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Holy crap, dude, I was just bustin' your chops, hence the smiley face. Man, ya'll take stuff way too personally on this stupid blog. Life is way too short for all of that. When I started posting here I was totally warned by people about the clicks and the whiners. I didn't listen. This place is getting as bad as an AOL chat room. Grrr.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Wow! That comment was supposed to be funny when the smiley face was put on the end?

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Somehow it didn't come off that way to me.

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

No biggie deal though...God, I'm bored.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

acg, what part of Louisiana are you from? (I assume Lou. b/c I don't know of any Cajun culture elsewhere.) I lived in Shreveport for a short while about 12 years ago. Too far north to be really Cajun, but it definitely contributed to the regional taste, at least to this Midwesterner's palette. I think Creole is international. Even the language of the culture is different. Not really English. Not really French. They make their own world, including its food!

Carmenilla 10 years, 2 months ago

Hey it was resolved. I can admit when I'm wrong or too sensitive. I wish I could say that about all the folks who flame hard and than disappear when proven wrong. I learn stuff on here everyday! Not ashamed to admit it. Human nature under a cloak of invisibility (i.e. screen name) is a circus to be enjoyed.

wichita_reader 10 years, 2 months ago

I know I'm going to get railed on for this, but on the lighter side my favorite international cuisine, before my nuptials, was definitely the women! Particularly Argentinian. Listening to an Argentinian woman speak Castillan is mesmerizing.

italianprincess 10 years, 2 months ago

Italian food of course....... what can I say, I'm Italian.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

cat person - right on about my age and I have faced up to it. I don't regret any of those years, in fact, I treasure all that those years have allowed me to learn of life, the world, those around me and those far away. I thank the Lord God that He has given me so many privileges like that of the ability to travel and learn of other people and what is important to them. I rememer once getting on a bus in Huehuetenango, Guatemala. A little man in front of me stepped up to enter and his short blanket skirt parted company in back and revealed his underpants. they were made of unbleached rough cotton, but were incredibly embroidered in scarlet all over. I thought about his wife sitting there for hours doing that embroidery and was deeply touched by the love that must have gone into each stitch. It is little incidents like that, that I value from the years that I have lived. You know when we read these posts, we get a sense of the feelings behind the words. Sometimes, I suppose we get it wrong. The sense I got from your post was one of ridicule of my feelings about my cat. I get the feeling that you have never had a cat that you loved and lost. I am grateful for the years that I had with Camille, don't make a mistake in that. And I know she had to go, but it is not easy to say goodbye to one you love. I know that you didn't say she ended up on the street, but was pointing out just why that was so. None of my remarks have been said in a vindictive way to you. Well, then sonny boy, I hope you have a nice day, love granny.

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Fangorn in answer to your ?, I have lived all over LA. My daddy's fam is cajun, which I guess makes me a half breed, and he was born and raised there. I spent a lot of my youth before 20 being raised in the deep south. I've lived in Gonzales, Lake Providence, Monroe and West Carroll Parish. I still have lots of fam down there, even in Shreveport. Cajuns are some of the best folks you'll ever get to hang out with. Sure, they're dirty, drunk and angry alot but they know how to have a good time. Laissez les bon temp rouler! :)

wichita_reader 10 years, 2 months ago

Oops! I think the dialect the Argentinians speak is actually called Castellano, a combination of Castillan Spanish and Italian, but I may be wrong again. Hopefully I'll find out.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

"dirty, drunk and angry alot" LOL! But man can they cook! If any of you ever get to Shreveport, eat at Ralph and Kacoo's. Cajun seafood! (Actually, it's across the river in Bossier City.) It'd be worth the trip . . . . .

acg 10 years, 2 months ago

Well Oberlin is more on the Texas side and we stayed mainly on the Mississippi side and in the middle. Not too close. But I would suggest if you have a chance to visit them, do go. It's like stepping into a whole different world when you go that far south. When I go back to visit my relatives grumble at me that I've been "yankie-fied". They say I have an accent (which cracks me up, coming from people that can make ya'll a three syllable word) and that my attitude is more rushed and hectic (come on, I live in Kansas, for God's sake, not NYC). Ahhh, good times.

morris_the_cat 10 years, 2 months ago

I think eating cats is sick! Cats are not a delicacy! Now dogs on the other hand, are a different story all together! Humans eating dog meat is just fine and dandy with me, I don't care!

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

Nuts can be tricky to pronounce -- Daniel Webster doesn't know there is an "l" in almond. Neither does my friend from NYC. She loves Amond Joys.

dubbledownbku 10 years, 2 months ago

GreenEyedBlues 10 years, 2 months ago

I was once at this Menudofied restaurant in Milwaukee that looked like the set of Ricky Martin video. They claimed to serve authentic South American cuisine, but I'll be damned if the bread wasn't plain Pillsbury loaf with Fritos Bean Dip on the side.

David Ryan 10 years, 2 months ago

You know, if you're wondering about the question(s) on On the Street, they're usually tied to a story in the Journal-World print edition.

For instance, today's particular question goes with the stories running today, "Asian cuisine featured in cookbook" and "Ethiopian eats."

So the idea that something like "Intern #1: What question shall we ask today? Intern #2: How about one that won't cause an argument or name calling" happens, though interesting, isn't really how it works.

GreenEyedBlues 10 years, 2 months ago

It took some research, but I found out that the aforementioned restaurant is called "Sol Fire", which, I think adds to the not-so-spicy faux Latin charm.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

Well, I think cajun is definitely international and soooo good. And if you don't get to Shreveport, there is a Ralph and Kacoo in Baton Rouge and one in New Orleans also. They bring you all the hush puppies your little tum tum can hold and the gumbo is worth the plane fare alone. Another good place to eat in LA. is Mullote. The plates of crawfish are so large you swear you will never be able to eat 'em all. I don't think I spelled Mullote right. We went to one in Lafayette and one in Beau Bridge. The thing that made the evening special there was I got to watch the dancing. They love the 2 step and the line dancing was awesome to watch. My husband hates to dance, so I watch.

1derer 10 years, 2 months ago

lonely_guy: does the word "stalker" register with you? Let's just post a young woman's information on a public chat site to accommodate the testosterone surge of an anonymous poster. I believe I heard that she worked at the cashier's window in the Lawrence Police Department. Why don't you go there and ask for her. Explain where you got her name, I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Grundoon Luna 10 years, 2 months ago

Favorite? Mexican! . . . no . . . Chinese! . . . no . . . Italian! . . . no . . Greek! . . . no . . . Hooo-wee, I do like dat cajun, cher . . . but, no . . . Sushi, OOOOHHH!! That ginger!!! WOW! happy dance. . . but, no . . . Awe, $#!^, just gimme some good food. Don't care where it's from as long nobody tries some Fear Factor stunt on me. I mean, I am adventurous, but I draw the line at bugs and things that are still alive. The Ethoipian food seems to be a winner. I'll have to try it.

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

Carmenilla: I see your response to 2005 was "removed by the site staff". But his (her?) post was completely eliminated. And not just today's but all of them. Earlier today I considered telling 2005 just to ask you out, since every post was directed at you. But gosh darn it! I forgot to stop by the armor polisher's today to pick up my breastplate and grieves. And I just can't defend someone if my armor isn't shining! [Sorry, one_persons_opinion, I just couldn't resist! ;-)~ ]

GreenEyedBlues: Thanks for the warning about Milwaukee. I don't want to go anywhere near a place that's been "Menudofied". (Great word picture, btw!)

ms_canada: Is there any place on this planet (besides Lawrence) that you haven't been? I've traveled to a few interesting places, but I'm feeling positively provincial after reading your posts!

Ubermime: "shoot explosives at worms"?! Should I even ask?

Italian. Indian. Mexican. Japanese. Brazilian. Chinese. Ethiopian. German. Middle Eastern. Greek. Afghani. Cajun. Native American. Food! Is this a great planet or what?

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

ms_canada: I too am sorry to hear about your cat. I have two wonderful cats. They keep my home scene lively and enjoyable. My dog is very old and I dread the day when I will have to part with him. I have always enjoyed my dogs and cats but since my husband died several years ago, I find their companionship very dear to me. I've just now been able to look over yesterdays posts and wanted to let you know how much I look forward to reading your contributions. Your grace under fire is a sterling example to the rest of us. (Your worth is far above rubies!)

Regarding that other cat -- regretably, an open board also allows frightened, small-minded people to vent their frustration on others. The morris_the_cat user name popped up to make rude and hurtful remarks to another poster yesterday.

I think if enough of us ignore that type of poster they will go away. If they get too rowdy I am not above clicking the ever present (Suggest removal). If he were my cat, we would visit the vet for a little snip, snip. That usually calms things down. ;-)

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

fangorn - what can I say. Yes, it really is a great planet and you know, I have seen a lot of it. Just happen to have married a man who likes to travel and has the means. Although a lady does hate to reveal her age, I have to say that mine does account for the wide range of my travels. It takes a few years to get around this old mondo. We started our travels in Mexico a long time ago and got bitten by the bug (travel Bug that is) So we just kept it up. We never travelled first class. We always read up on the places we wish to see and then just hop on the plane. We get around on our own, ride the buses with the natives, stay in inexpensive hotels, pensiones, B&B's We have had some very interesting and sometimes hair-raising experiences. Two major earthquakes in Central America, robbed of our watches once, and caught in the cross fire of el policia in Madrid (not as bad as it sounds as they were firing rubber bullets to break up a May Day street demo.) You should not feel provincial. I am probably twice your age. I bet that by the time you reach my age, you will have seen more of the world than I have. If you have that desire, that is. I will say one thing in my defense. I have always tried to learn as much as possible from my travels. There are some great people in this world and some very interesting lives to learn about. Time for bed, I have had an extremely bad day. Had to put my darling Camille to sleep this morning. She was 20 and quite feeble and in pain. My cat. I saw her into this world and felt compelled to see her out, as much as it hurt. bye bye

Fangorn 10 years, 2 months ago

ms_canada: I am sorry to hear about your cat. I have several. And although they are only animals, losing one carries its own kind of hurt. I've recently adopted two strays who need a good home. And I've never been to Alberta. . . . :)

Das_Ubermime: I did read your post and I thank you most sincerely. And also those who spoke on my behalf yesterday. Rest well and peacefully, everyone.

ms_canada 10 years, 2 months ago

ceallach - thanks for the sympathy. I sure miss my little one. She was very sweet. A funny thing happened about 4am. We are looking after our daughters cat since she moved to B.C. and couldn't take her to the rental house. Well, the girls, I called the two cats, did not get along too well. Tazzy is a very quiet cat. You never hear her at all. Until last nite at 4am. She was meowing in the hall. I really think she was looking for Camille. And today she is sticking to me like glue. Just proves to me again that there is more to a cat than meets the eye. And yes, you are right. The best thing to do with the goofy people here is to just ignore them. But I could not resist answering morris. I thought it most peculiar the way he spoke to me. I did not get angry or upset, just puzzled. I, too, enjoy your posts. I think that we might make good pen pals. I will be rather busy this weekend getting ready to head south. I have one sister and she lives in Montana just south of Missoula. I am driving down to see her for the last time as she is moving back to San Diego to be near her son and granddaughter. I will have to fly from now on to see her. And I shall miss going to Missoula. I like driving. It is quite a pleasant trip. I must stop over one night. 5 1/2 hours on day one and 6 1/2 the second day. But I have a good, comfortable car. A Ford Taurus. Well, that is all. I guess it is 8:30 in Lawrence and you are most likely settled down for the evening. Bye now

Ceallach 10 years, 2 months ago

ms_canada: Animals are such a source of love, and we know who authors all love. I believe people miss out on a lot when they do not have the opportunity to care about or for a pet. I lost my older dog 2 years ago when he was 12. For almost 3 weeks my remaining dog would barely eat a bite. He watched the door at the slightest sound, waiting for his companion.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. One of my sisters lives in Oklahoma, about a 6 hour drive, I know how good it is to visit in person when possible. My family in south Texas is another story. Two 10 hour driving days. Unless someone else is going along I just fly. By the time I buy GAS and pay for a night of lodging each way, its just as cheap to fly and enjoy being home for an extra two days.

Just let us know when you are going so we won't wonder whether or not you are well. I would consider it an honor to have a pen pal such as yourself. I even drive a Ford :-) My family has some very good friends in Canada. Winter Texans from the Thunder Bay area. They have become part of our extended family. My parents are always eager for their return each fall.

God bless, sleep well.