Previous   Next

How do you think people should celebrate Earth Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 23, 2005

Browse the archives

“Just try not to litter as much and keep Lawrence clean.”

“Plant a tree, work in the yard or do their recycling.”

“Take their recycling to Wal-Mart. In fact, I’m going to go do it for my office.”

“Get out and appreciate nature instead of isolating themselves in their homes.”

Comments

Ceallach 8 years, 12 months ago

Just reading over the latest posts -- I agree with ms_canada. As long as people are not obscene they should be encouraged to post their comments or concerns. We would not tolerate censorship anywhere else, should we now censor others' posts? I say, no. If someone goes off topic that isn't a crime. People can either respond or not.

I noticed the other night our LJW webmaster removed several posts, one entry was entirely removed (even the username). They were right to do so. That was due to obscenity beyond an acceptable level. Thank you, webmaster.

ms_canada 8 years, 12 months ago

hong kong - don't you say anything against liberty. He is a good guy, nothing like lulu. You know very well that some of us write a few things on the religious side. Now if some of you want to protest and tell us to cease and desist, fine, we will probably do so, (although I should speak only for myself) but don't be nasty about it. I think that we have just encouraged liberty to feel free do express his thoughts more openly. If you don't like it just say so without the snarky stuff. Okay, hong kong?

kansas007 8 years, 12 months ago

If you want to really do something that will have big impact you can offset your home power usage with Clean Renewable Power. Go to www.kystal-planet.net/dk and purchase green tags. Become part of "The Clean Power Revolution."

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 12 months ago

Celebrate Earth Day by going out and shooting a deer and eating it on a table that you created from a freshly cut tree...

Well, maybe not.

On the side, has Liberty taken over Lulu's spot as the resident nutjob??

RushIsRight 8 years, 12 months ago

I'm going to go shoot a turkey. I love nature. Just an FYI, the money I'm paying for the permit to kill that turkey and money for that hunting licence fund quite a few nature conservation plans. Hunters are the greatest conservationist.

Liberty 8 years, 12 months ago

A good verse for Earth Day from James:

4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members? 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. (Not because there is not enough available). 4:3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts. 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God. 4:5 Do ye think that the scripture saith in vain, The spirit that dwelleth in us lusteth to envy? 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 4:8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

ms_canada 8 years, 12 months ago

Earth Day - how to celebrate! Well, I guess a good way to start would be to think about all the wonderful things about this terrestrial ball upon which the Good Lord has set us. I have been most fortunate to have seen a fair bit of this earth and some parts of it are spectacularly beautiful. And some of the people that inhabit the various parts are quite beautiful also. I am thinking now of the Peruvians and their colorful clothing and their gentle manner. So lovely! And then their are the Irish with their love of a good story and envigorating conversation. Pure joy to behold. The Germans with their love of a lusty song. Sometimes I feel like weeping when I think of what we are doing to polute this beautiful earth that the LORD God gave us. So let us all do as some have said here today, encourage one another to improve the atmosphere and save this planet from destruction and preserve it for our children and grandchildren. Happy earth day to all.

Ceallach 8 years, 12 months ago

Hmmm, if someone is a self-defined goatdog, should I be offended by the fat greedy christian pig remark? Don't think so -- besides, I always hear that all roads lead to Rome -- on this forum they seem to lead to some unChristlike behavior of individuals using His name in vain.

Anyway -------- I agree with the many previous posts -- recycle what you can, conserve our natural resources and walk more. Even though some cannot walk as much as others due to health concerns, every little bit helps our bodies, our minds and our planet.

Thanks, goatdog, you help me stay grounded by reminding me that people really do pay attention to the actions of others. My goal is that I will not be one of the Christians you observe acting in ways so unlike our Lord.

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 12 months ago

Day-um, goatdog! And I though I had some attitude!

For the question: The 3Rs and park the SUV in favor of the Civc is what I do. Even before gasoline proces went insane! Reducing the amount of product packaging when possible is important as well.

Chris Bohling 8 years, 12 months ago

Walk instead of drive!

High school students are a big part of the pollution problem these days. I live 5 blocks from LHS, walk to school, and people are amazed that I would do such a thing. Not a single one of my friends would consider it anything but a last resort to walk that far, even though it takes no more than 10 minutes and absolutely no energy whatsoever.

Also, I think another issue is that we continue to build car-based communities (look at west Lawrence or western Kansas City). Our superhighways and humongous parking lots make it so that it isn't even feasible to walk around in a lot of the newer subdivisions.

goatdog 8 years, 12 months ago

Remove the greedy fat christian pigs from the planet.

Fangorn 8 years, 12 months ago

Reduce. Don't let the water run while brushing your teeth. Buy in bulk when possible so there's less packaging per unit of product. Turn off lights, TVs, and radios you aren't using or listening to.

Reuse. Plastic containers, rinsed out and washed, have dozens of uses around the home. If you garden, food scraps and yard waste make great compost.

Recycle. As I've said in this forum before, every cubic meter you recycle is one less cubic meter into the land fill.

You don't have to worship the creation to look after it. God still wants us to take care of the Garden.

Liberty 8 years, 12 months ago

By thanking God for creating the earth. We are to worship God the creator rather than the earth which is what He created.

i_tching 8 years, 12 months ago

Long ago, Barry Commoner claimed that "pollution is profit."

Indeed. If the people and corporations who manufacture much of what eventually becomes garbage; if they actually provided for the proper disposal and recycling of those materials, they'd lose money.

So they don't. Hence pollution.

This is a huge enviromental-economic structural problem, embedded in our social structure. Probably, modern "free-market" (as in "free pollution,") capitalism will collapse before this difficulty is resolved.

Anyway, to address the original question, how should people celebrate Earth Day? Not by slowly poisoning the world we live in, but what else is there to do? Gotta make a living, you know, and there's just no money to be made by doing anything else.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 12 months ago

Not only can those 3 wheel strollers navigate most terrains they are also constructed at a comfortable height for your body.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 12 months ago

Keep your SUV or buy a Hybrid SUV by Toyota. BUT BUT for everyday running around go buy a Toyota Prius. Trips within a 100 mile radius drive the Hybrid. It's the around town driving in any city that burns the most fuel by a considerable amount.

Otherwise take up walking,riding a bike or taking the T to town and doing errands. The T only cost 50 cents. If you need something to tote your goods purchase a bike trailer.

If you would rather walk purchase one of those baby strollers with 3 large wheels as they can motivate most terrains. These things can hold some merchandise...groceries etc.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 12 months ago

Oops. The above comment needs to be more focused.

Every day is EARTH DAY!

extreme_makeover 8 years, 12 months ago

Oops. The above comment implies one can go ahead and squander resources so long as you THINK FIRST.

Be considerate 24/7.

extreme_makeover 8 years, 12 months ago

THINK EACH AND EVERY DAY before you squander precious resources.

Iron_Eyes_Cody 8 years, 12 months ago

People start pollution........people can stop it.