Previous   Next

Are you excited about the Kansas Relays?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W 23rd St. on April 22, 2005

Browse the archives

“I was thinking about going this year for the first time because of all the stuff in the paper about it. It sounds like a fun thing to do.”

“I’m volunteering there for the Society of Women Engineers, but I haven’t heard much more about it than that. I’m excited to see the activities, participants and the big crowd.”

“I didn’t know the Kansas Relays were still going on. I thought they gave up on that in the ‘70s.”

“I’m not going to be able to go because I have to work. Otherwise, I would definitely like to go. There are going to be a lot of big-time people coming.”

Comments

one_more_bob 8 years, 12 months ago

Folks, I''m going to be off & gone for a few days. Play nice & I'll talk to you when I get back.

Fangorn 8 years, 12 months ago

firstnation101: to answer your question about pancakes, a earlier this week the discussion got a little contentious (though not like yesterday, I think). I forget who exactly, but someone trying to help bring the tension level down a bit asked "Now who wants pancakes?" Since we were getting close to dinner time, that struck a chord with people and the discusion swerved in a culinary direction. Late in the day, I posted my recipe for French toast (or "freedom" toast for those with an aversion to all things Gallic). You get used to such diversions on this forum. btw, welcome to the on-going discussion. It's always good to have new voices in the conversation.

ms_canada 8 years, 12 months ago

ceallach - thanks for the tip about the pancake recipe. bob - let us know when you try Dr. Weil's recipe. Usually anything he recommends is delicious and soooo good for you. firstnation101 - pancakes? just a bit of levity for an otherwise grim day on the board. btw - welcome to the board. We were needing some more new blood.
ChristyK and Ceallach have also been welcome additions. If I didn't live so darn far away, I would probably catch some of the Relay stuff. Sounds fun. And now our hockey season is just about over here in the lovely, not so frozen north.

hugs_and_kisses 8 years, 12 months ago

Indeed, Ceallach! You are correct! I think it's sooo very important for people to know just exactly who it is that their neighbors are--and to know if any of them may be a convicted sexual predator!! If if there are any sex offenders living on one's own street, that person needs to keep an eye on him!!

Also, BunE, I think larryville is saying what you're saying. That one of those guys involved in that whole sordid ordeal involving that young girl, did infact violate his parole and is now in prison and that the other guys in that case will probably violate their paroles too and end up in prison too.

one_more_bob 8 years, 12 months ago

Advocacy journalism? In these modern times? Inconceivable!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 12 months ago

The Kansas Relays actually have quite an impressive resume. When Jim Ryun came back and competed they had a crowd of 32,000 people on hand to watch. The UDK has a pretty good article about it in today's edition(can't really call it a paper since it's more of a liberal propaganda machine).

one_more_bob 8 years, 12 months ago

How long has it been since you've had a big steaming bowl of Wolf brand chili?

Well, that's too long.

As Chill Wills used to say.

Ceallach 8 years, 12 months ago

hugs_and_kisses: I too was looking through the list and found a registered sex offender (whose crime was against a child) now lives next door to one of my daughters! Since that discovery my 7 year old granddaughter has not been allowed to play outside when visiting her aunt. This is in a quiet residential neighborhood that most prospective home buyers would consider ideal. I think everyone with internet access should view the list and be aware of the predators' locations.

BunE 8 years, 12 months ago

Larryville: That rapist that got probation already violated and J. Martin sent him to the pen for the maximum.

Ceallach 8 years, 12 months ago

The relays are always fun. Some top names coming to encourage the competitors and hopefully draw a nice crowd. The relays also provide an economic boost to many Lawrence businesses. On the grumpy local side - dining out will be a nightmare for a couple of days. I may need to open some canned chili.

hugs_and_kisses 8 years, 12 months ago

Yikes! I've got a sex offender living right in my own neighborhood!--And I'm getting sick to my stomach just thinking about it!

The_Original_Bob 8 years, 12 months ago

Not really interested in the Relays, but if it's a nice day I may stroll down there.

On to that sex offender guy moving to Lawrence... yeah, he's bad news, but he's 70 and the press has pretty much made him well known. I'm more worried about the several dozen that already live in Lawrence:

Ceallach 8 years, 12 months ago

one_more_bob: be brave, there is a big world beyond coffee and canned chili :)

staff04 8 years, 12 months ago

How stoned is Dan Harber? And what is he studying? Jebus, I went to high school with that guy. He better have his PhD by now.

The Kansas Relays really are a cool event--And with all the big names there this year it should be especially exciting.

one_more_bob 8 years, 12 months ago

Ceallach, thanks. That does look good. Sometimes I think I should expand my culinary skills beyond making coffee & opening cans of chili.

firstnation101 8 years, 12 months ago

whats with the pancakes...alright...i have been to the ku relays, they are awesome! i went last night to cheer on the haskell runners...its always a good feeling to run in front of your friends. i have run at mount sac relays, and that meet is the biggest one in the world, but i have to say, KU relays is a lot more fan friendly.

Ceallach 8 years, 12 months ago

Off subject == skip if you wish.

one_more_bob: Dr. Weil posted what appears to be a yummy recipe for -- Blueberry Pancakes.

where was this yesterday when everyone could have used a pancake break?

i_tching 8 years, 12 months ago

The Relays are a truly great event, in a great and ancient form (or better said, a variety of forms,) of sport. They are a part of athletic history. So, GO!

larryville 8 years, 12 months ago

You know, when I think about this child molester guy being let out of his pen, I can't help but get a chill up my spine.....I think of Judge Martin and her controversial decisions vis a vis the pigs who raped that girl. You all, no doubt, have heard by now about the one pig who blew his probation---and is now behind bars!!! WHERE HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SENT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

Oh, I know, I know! Judge Martin still has her staunch defenders! As a matter of fact, I can almost hear their voices now, yapping away! "Yeah, but this....Yeah, but that...Yada, yada, yada...."

......Oh, Whatever! She made a bad call....And fate is in the process of proving it.....Give the other pigs some more time, they'll eventually wind up behind bars, as well! Someday.......

lunacydetector 8 years, 12 months ago

Does the judge who let him out live in Lawrence? If the judge lives here, he should move next door to the judge.

happygolucky 8 years, 12 months ago

Never been to the Relays. Not really overflowing with emotions about it now. Thinking more about this becoming a Nexus for child molesters. If I find out where he lives, you can bank on it being post everywhere. I though they had to disclose where he lives, they do everyone else. Sorry about ranting off subject. Hope the Relays go off without a hitch.

shredks 8 years, 12 months ago

The Relays are awesome, even in years when there aren't big-name stars. If you've never been, go this year. If you have been, go because this year will be better than ever.

one_more_bob 8 years, 12 months ago

Maybe they could all roost in a tree like the save-the-stump woman did.

raven 8 years, 12 months ago

It depends on how the neighborhood is zoned. There are lots of houses that have more than 3 unrelated people. For instance, the houses Cottonwood, Inc. owns. Many of them have up to 6 or more people living in them, unrelated.

lunacydetector 8 years, 12 months ago

something totally off subject, but it just occured to me:

The City's zoning code makes it illegal for more than three unrelated people to live in a single family home. When the Lawrence Community Innkeepers Company watches over the state's most notorious child molester in Lawrence (at an undisclosed location), with the possibility of adding two more aging sexual predators, giving that there will be 24 hour guards in addition - Where can they live in Lawrence where they aren't violating the City Code? Are there any apartments large enough to house all of them?

lunacydetector 8 years, 12 months ago

i haven't been to them since the 1970's - so my answer is, 'no.' i thought it was the sunflower games being called off or moved to another town because of poor attendance.

doesn't it typically rain during the Relays?

Jayhawk226 8 years, 12 months ago

I'm actually disappointed that after living in Lawrence 4 years during my undergrad years, I never made it to one Relay event.

I think they were actually called off for a few years, so I suppose I have that to use as one excuse though.