Previous   Next

Are you excited about the Kansas Relays?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W 23rd St. on April 22, 2005

Browse the archives

“I was thinking about going this year for the first time because of all the stuff in the paper about it. It sounds like a fun thing to do.”

“I’m volunteering there for the Society of Women Engineers, but I haven’t heard much more about it than that. I’m excited to see the activities, participants and the big crowd.”

“I didn’t know the Kansas Relays were still going on. I thought they gave up on that in the ‘70s.”

“I’m not going to be able to go because I have to work. Otherwise, I would definitely like to go. There are going to be a lot of big-time people coming.”

Comments

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

I'm actually disappointed that after living in Lawrence 4 years during my undergrad years, I never made it to one Relay event.

I think they were actually called off for a few years, so I suppose I have that to use as one excuse though.

lunacydetector 10 years ago

i haven't been to them since the 1970's - so my answer is, 'no.' i thought it was the sunflower games being called off or moved to another town because of poor attendance.

doesn't it typically rain during the Relays?

lunacydetector 10 years ago

something totally off subject, but it just occured to me:

The City's zoning code makes it illegal for more than three unrelated people to live in a single family home. When the Lawrence Community Innkeepers Company watches over the state's most notorious child molester in Lawrence (at an undisclosed location), with the possibility of adding two more aging sexual predators, giving that there will be 24 hour guards in addition - Where can they live in Lawrence where they aren't violating the City Code? Are there any apartments large enough to house all of them?

raven 10 years ago

It depends on how the neighborhood is zoned. There are lots of houses that have more than 3 unrelated people. For instance, the houses Cottonwood, Inc. owns. Many of them have up to 6 or more people living in them, unrelated.

shredks 10 years ago

The Relays are awesome, even in years when there aren't big-name stars. If you've never been, go this year. If you have been, go because this year will be better than ever.

Jay Bird 10 years ago

Never been to the Relays. Not really overflowing with emotions about it now. Thinking more about this becoming a Nexus for child molesters. If I find out where he lives, you can bank on it being post everywhere. I though they had to disclose where he lives, they do everyone else. Sorry about ranting off subject. Hope the Relays go off without a hitch.

lunacydetector 10 years ago

Does the judge who let him out live in Lawrence? If the judge lives here, he should move next door to the judge.

Ceallach 10 years ago

Off subject == skip if you wish.

one_more_bob: Dr. Weil posted what appears to be a yummy recipe for -- Blueberry Pancakes.

where was this yesterday when everyone could have used a pancake break?

staff04 10 years ago

How stoned is Dan Harber? And what is he studying? Jebus, I went to high school with that guy. He better have his PhD by now.

The Kansas Relays really are a cool event--And with all the big names there this year it should be especially exciting.

Ceallach 10 years ago

one_more_bob: be brave, there is a big world beyond coffee and canned chili :)

Ceallach 10 years ago

The relays are always fun. Some top names coming to encourage the competitors and hopefully draw a nice crowd. The relays also provide an economic boost to many Lawrence businesses. On the grumpy local side - dining out will be a nightmare for a couple of days. I may need to open some canned chili.

BunE 10 years ago

Larryville: That rapist that got probation already violated and J. Martin sent him to the pen for the maximum.

Ceallach 10 years ago

hugs_and_kisses: I too was looking through the list and found a registered sex offender (whose crime was against a child) now lives next door to one of my daughters! Since that discovery my 7 year old granddaughter has not been allowed to play outside when visiting her aunt. This is in a quiet residential neighborhood that most prospective home buyers would consider ideal. I think everyone with internet access should view the list and be aware of the predators' locations.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years ago

The Kansas Relays actually have quite an impressive resume. When Jim Ryun came back and competed they had a crowd of 32,000 people on hand to watch. The UDK has a pretty good article about it in today's edition(can't really call it a paper since it's more of a liberal propaganda machine).

ms_canada 10 years ago

ceallach - thanks for the tip about the pancake recipe. bob - let us know when you try Dr. Weil's recipe. Usually anything he recommends is delicious and soooo good for you. firstnation101 - pancakes? just a bit of levity for an otherwise grim day on the board. btw - welcome to the board. We were needing some more new blood.
ChristyK and Ceallach have also been welcome additions. If I didn't live so darn far away, I would probably catch some of the Relay stuff. Sounds fun. And now our hockey season is just about over here in the lovely, not so frozen north.

Fangorn 10 years ago

firstnation101: to answer your question about pancakes, a earlier this week the discussion got a little contentious (though not like yesterday, I think). I forget who exactly, but someone trying to help bring the tension level down a bit asked "Now who wants pancakes?" Since we were getting close to dinner time, that struck a chord with people and the discusion swerved in a culinary direction. Late in the day, I posted my recipe for French toast (or "freedom" toast for those with an aversion to all things Gallic). You get used to such diversions on this forum. btw, welcome to the on-going discussion. It's always good to have new voices in the conversation.