Previous   Next

Do you believe that child molesters can be rehabilitated?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 1, 2005

Browse the archives

“It’s so hard to define rehabilitation. I think morality plays too large a role in it, so it is difficult to give a yes or no answer. I guess it all depends on your point of view.”

“No, because history has shown that they don’t stop what they are doing wrong. As Lewis Carroll said, ‘Off with their heads!’”

“Only if we can make them wear a scarlet P on their chest.”

“I would have to say to leave that up to the powers that be. I guess institutionalization is the only tool we have to deal with someone that would do something that ridiculously wrong and totally unacceptable.”

Comments

Jayhawk226 9 years, 5 months ago

I do believe this...

...from the standpoint that to be deemed a "sex offender" in most states, it could be a "crime" that included having sex with a minor, though you were one year off.

There are few examples of individuals who have been identified that made a mistake because of their own youth and foolishness, but now have to leave with the registered label for 10-20 years.

Then there are those that may never be helped.

Tough for me to answer how ANYBODY can be changed if it's not my life, but I did want to raise to be labeled a sex offender, you don't have to be the "predator" we here on the news every week or so. There are some cases that are non-predatory-like, but if convicted, are given the title.

jesserayj 9 years, 5 months ago

WHAT THE.....

WE NEED TO TAKE ACTION. we need to find out when this sick piece of S**t is moving here, and protest it. WE DONT WANT HIM HERE. we need to find out when and where he will be coming into lawrence and have protesters all along the roads. LETS KEEP HIM OUT OF LAWRENCE. I'm serious. I have a 4 year old daughter. KEEP LEROY OUT OF LAWRENCE!!

HE ADMITS IT BETTER OFF DEAD. "treatment is bull----" and that the only sure way he could keep from abusing children was "to die."

if any info is available please contact me.

jesse_johnson78@yahoo.comp>jesse_johnson78@yahoo.com>

mrcairo 9 years, 5 months ago

Kill them all.

KILL KILL KILL.

Kill them all at once, hang by the neck until dead, publically.

I think I'll sue the City for the right to know who this guy is and where he is moving to. If he's moving near my kids, I'll sue to have him removed from the City. I think a class-action law-suit by every parent in this town to have every Child Molestor removed is in order.

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

"...morality plays too large a role in it"?! Often, we're talking about people who sexually molest children here, for crying out loud! (I say "often" not "always" because I agree that some get the label that shouldn't.) I would hope "morality" would have a rather large role in our approach to the problem. And it most certainly does not "depend on your point of view". It depends on the offender's willingness and ability to refrain from actions that violate our laws.

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Upon reflection, I believe that the only reasonable explanation for young Mr. Schlueter's remarks is that he knew they would be published on April Fool's Day.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

That was quite a post 2005! And maybe you can keep your graphic depictions to yourself in your aspirations of crime writing (way to egg him on, kns). Its not that I can't stomach what you wrote but if your desired effect was to shock me into a different point of view then you failed miserably. It just showed incredibly poor taste on a board that is usually filled with thoughtful debate.

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

Using my special formula, I've distilled Mr. Cairo's comments for the rest of us.

" ME! ME! ME! MEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEMEME!!!!!"

To answer the question, yes, it's possible. But certainly not all, or perhaps even most, will probably ever get to that point.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

I guess I should clarifly one more thing for the record. I never said I was necessarily against the death penalty. Never anywhere in today's posts have I said that I was against it. I only said that being flippant about taking someone's life directly (flippin' that switch) seemed easy for some people to say and I just felt that it was a little boastful and smacked of megalomania. I think if something were to happen to someone I dearly loved I wouldn't stop the killer from receiving whatever his punishment was. Granted, we don't have the death penalty here anymore but the fact remailns the same that some assumptions were made about what I actually believe in. I guess I'm just not a gleeful flip switcher, thats all.

Redneckgal 9 years, 5 months ago

Sure ya can cure 'em....just find a rope and a high tree.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 5 months ago

Give the parents of the child they have molested a shotgun and let them have it. That oughta do the trick!

Jayhawk226 9 years, 5 months ago

Not to scare anybody further...

...but think about how many educators that spend all those hours with children are so close to being named a sex offender.

We only hear of those that get caught, which seem to be WAY too many as of late.

A guy/woman who moves next door to me would be enough to make me very aware of his presence always. But it's very scary to think of that boy scout leader, teacher, swim coach, bus driver, police officer that our children are supposed to trust...that takes advantage of children.

Scary.

kansas 9 years, 5 months ago

I have no idea what John Schlueter (pictured above) is trying to say, so I won't comment on his comment. Does anybody else here think they know (or at least has a rough idea) of what this young man is trying to say? I sure hope so! Because I'm sitting here in my chair, and I can't help but scratch my head every time I read the question: "Can child molesters be rehabilited"...and then I read his response....and I then think to myself: "Huh?"

allateup2 9 years, 5 months ago

What a waste of taxpayer money $278,000 to monitor this scum? I imagine it would be cheaper to keep Terri Schiavo alive. Money better spent for sure!

remember_username 9 years, 5 months ago

I believe that all rational humans find such behavior so repugnant that effective treatments are not thoroughly studied. There maybe more effective medicinal / surgical procedures found in the future that will "guarantee" rehabilitation but not currently. Therefore releasing a previous sex offender is always accepting a risk that the person will strike again - a risk that many feel is too high. Plus as mentioned by others, sex offender covers alot of territory. So I'm assuming the LJW is referring to the pedophile being released in Lawrence.

To those that wish to kill the offender - why? Because it is cheaper than the 278k to watch them? Because they feel the crime warrants the death penalty? Does anybody think this twisted behavior is a personal choice and not some horrible mis-wiring in the brain?

remember_username 9 years, 5 months ago

To those who have difficulty with John Schueter's response, keep in mind that "asked at Mass st" often means "asked outside of Free State".

artwhore 9 years, 5 months ago

i love when pro-lifers talk about killing people.

artwhore 9 years, 5 months ago

if proven w/o a doubt to be guilty death is the only viable solution to carreer criminality

i don't want to hear that it's cheaper to incarcerate that's a lie, killing someone costs next to nothing.

enochville 9 years, 5 months ago

I believe pedophilia is a choice. Pedophiles try to meet their emotional needs for acceptance, importance, closeness, control, attention, and/or other needs by trying to get emotionally attached to them. We can teach previous offenders new ways to meet their needs, but molestation will always be a vulnerability or temptation. I believe these desires can be managed in a similar way as alcholics successfully do through AA. But, we as a society should never be so naive to trust these individuals with access to a child no more than you would trust an alcoholic with access to a brewery.

gkcowell 9 years, 5 months ago

"Early next week, he'll move to a supervised home setting in Lawrence for an indefinite time. He will have an escort with him around the clock, seven days a week, at an estimated cost of $278,000 for the first 15 months, according to state officials. " LJW 4/1/05.

Hmmmm I wonder...if he is rehabilitated...then why guard him? And does he not pose any threat after the 15 months are passed?

wichita_reader 9 years, 5 months ago

Like artwhore, I thoroughly enjoy the hypocrisy.

Calling for a total stranger's life is a little sick in and of itself, I think. Maybe it's sarcasm, or maybe it's mental infirmity.

enochville 9 years, 5 months ago

By the way, there are sexual predators in our city living in our neighborhoods. You can look them up at the following website. Just enter "Lawrence" and then enter.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

You're a class act, all the way, 2005.

Ceallach 9 years, 5 months ago

I thought young John was saying that it would require more than medication or surgery to rehabilitate a sex offender. If he did mean that, I agree. A person with no moral fiber feels no need to change and therefore, no amount of medication or surgery will stop them. Remember, just because the body's ability to function sexually is hampered, the "pervert mentality" can and often does find other weapons to use in their sexual offenses. No moral values, no rehabilitation.

Kristen Murphy 9 years, 5 months ago

You can never change....Can you change a domestic violence abuser? No, the guy who kidnapped the girl from Florida told the judge not to let him go because he'll molest again....duh. They are set in their ways. I just think that the community they live in should be aware that a child molester lives in their community. It should be made known. It's not fair to the those living there. But as for the question - no way they can be rehabilitated...

bleeding_flower 9 years, 5 months ago

The only way to deal with these stupid f---s is to kill them all. Hanging or a firing squad would be the best way.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 5 months ago

I believe somebody should lop-off his grapes in order to curb his sexual urges toward children. But then we'd get into the whole issue of criminal rights ("Let him keep his grapes!"), etc.

remember_username 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, that was alot of thoughtful commentary with alot of viciousness scattered here and there. It is interesting that those who were willing to "throw the switch" justified the action with (sometimes graphic) explanations of the crimes of the criminal.

I believe most were describing vengeance rather than execution. It is human to personalize the crime in order to summon the fortitude necessary to kill another person. A state sponsored execution is never carried out by the victims (witnessed, yes). Why is this? Why not allow the victims the choice of pulling the trigger? It is probably because society recognizes that state sponsored vengeance is a bad precedent to set. Plus, most people who have been in the business of taking life are aware that the act does harm to the person performing the act, vengeance only amplifies this damage.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

I have worked with some sex offenders as a counselor and I can truly say that they are often the products of abuse themselves. These people are so damaged from their own abuse it takes years of therapy and possible medication for them to break out of that vicious cycle. Rehabilitation is very individualized and its hard to say who can be helped and who can't.

poohness 9 years, 5 months ago

I am a Psychiatric Nurse and statistically speaking there is no cure. It is an addiction besides a behavior. Most of the people I see have been abused also by someone they knew. However, now there are more stranger abuses occuring which is scary for parents as well as the children. Precautions must be taken in the family units to make sure the children are safe. The schools must set rules to safeguard the children. Both parents and the schools should work closely together. I am sorry but these are dangerous times.

CeeCee 9 years, 5 months ago

I checked out the link that enochville posted above and found out that there is a registered sex offender living on my street. (Indecent liberties with a child.) It's scary to think that a sex offender can move in and you have no idea. He is relatively new to the neighborhood. Always outside working in the yard and puts up the coolest decorations for holidays. Seems very friendly, not anyone you would suspect of wrong doing. There are tons of kids in our neighborhood. Scary.

acg 9 years, 5 months ago

Molestation, like rape, is not just a sex crime, it's also violent control crime. Lopping off his grapes won't matter. Chemical castration doen't always work. These molesters are sick freaks of nature. I can't imagine how a child can be sexually attractive to anyone and I personally think it should be an execution crime. Before ya'll start pouncing on me, lets turn this around and ask the question "do you think children that are molested can ever get over it?" The people I know that went thru that horrible ordeal aren't over it, and haven't been for years. Do we really give a crap about the rapists, sodomites and molesters? Are they are number one priority? If we started frying these bastards maybe the other ones would stop and think before they ruin a child's life. Here's something else I don't understand, carmenilla said that alot of these abusers are victims of abuse themselves. If it happened to them, and it made them feel so awful, why would they turn it around and do it to some other poor kid? I say we cull the herd of these wastes of skin and air. $200k to follow that sicko around for the next year? Give me a break!!

craigers 9 years, 5 months ago

Due to the Michael Jackson mention above, I was reminded of a forward I received that I just thought was hilarious. Here is the link, it is a very funny video. http://toccionline.kizash.com/films/1001/139/index.php

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, we certainly seem to have about three categories of answers here: 1. Kill them all, 2. It's not their fault - their brains are "mis-wired", and 3. "ramble, ramble, I don't know".

As for myself, I'm probably going to fall into the first category. Our society is so friggin' concerned about the right's of the criminals but far less concerned with the welfare of the victim's. Has he abused anybody lately? No, but he has said that he thinks treatment is bullsh*t and that he would only stop if he was dead. Of course, then he says that his comment was taken out of context. Excuse me?! How in the heck can you take that out of context?! What happens when we find little Susie sodomized and strangled in an emergency culvert? The state says, "Oops, I guess we were wrong." and then they release the next guy.

As for the people who think that it's not their fault because they were abused, or their brain's are "mis-wired"- I think you ought to be the ones that get to be his next door neighbor. Abuse is not an excuse for jacksquat in my book.

happygolucky 9 years, 5 months ago

If I catch sight of him, you can bet you ass I'll be telling every one in ear shot where he is. Why Lawrence? There is plenty of openings in hell for some one like him. I'd pay extra taxes to cover the cost of his rope, but it's a load of crap if they want me to pay to have some one watch over him. Wasn't prison cheaper? Next thing you know, ol' Charlie Manson will be moving in and trying to go to KU.

westernksgirl 9 years, 5 months ago

Why kill them? Because I don't want my tax dollars going to keep someone who would do that kind of harm to ANYONE alive. Period. If it's a "personal choice", then, they CHOSE their deviant behavior, CHOSE to harm someone, they CHOSE to not have my tax dollars subsidizing their living.
IF, on the other hand, it is a "horrible mis-wiring" in the brain, then, there is no way to "fix" this person, and once again, I'm back to them. Now, I agree that there is a huge difference b/t an 18 year old boy who has "consensual" sex with a 17 year old girl being labled as a sexual offender,or a 20 year old being shown a fake drivers license of a 16 year old and believing that she was of age. However, IF the aforementioned 20 year had predatory sex with the 16 year old (forcibly had sex with her, getting her drunk while he was completely sober, slipping her a drug, etc.), then, he deserves that label. And, I believe that these older women who have sex with boys (most typically, their own students) deserve the lable too. I don't give a rats tail end if they are "trying to meet an emotional need." It is wrong. It damages the person whom it is perpetrated upon and damages society as a whole. Nothing infuriates me faster than reading stories of KNOWN sex offenders, who recommit crimes. Former AG Carla Stovall did a huge service to the children and citizenry of Kansas by spearheading the efforts to civilly commit sexual predators after they had served their jail sentences (this helped other States as well who model their civil commitment statutes after ours). Studies and experience show, that sometimes, people who kill, do so for a specific reason, and if they are released to society, will never kill again (an abused spouse, someone who kills an abusive parent, etc) . . .those same studies and experience prove that sexual predators do NOT limit there activities to a specific child, for a specific "need" (other than their own depraved mindsets), and if released they will harm another child. These people do not deserve to be alive.

westernksgirl 9 years, 5 months ago

A continuation of my previous thought . . .

As I'm sure there are reasons the ACLU will defend as to why properly adjudicated sexual predators can not be killed along the same line as murders (and, unfortunately, there are mechanisms in place in those States that do have the death penalty to give these monsters chances to appeal, and to drag out the process, and increase the costs, that it the end, it is cheaper to let them live in State custody for LIFE), the best weapons we have against these predatory freaks is information. We KNOW that they are not able to be rehabilitated, this guy admitted so in his Supreme Court appeal. As the case in Florida proved, these predators will lie about their addresses, so, knowing where he is in the first place, may not be the panacea that we need for the protection of our children. What then, should we strive for? 1. Much tougher jail sentences. Keep these people in jail for a long, long time. 2. Once they are released from prison, make their time in involuntary commitment indefinate. Don't even act like there is a chance that they can be "normal"; because they can not. (remember, people, I'm talking about a "predator") These are hard to do, b/c of money. We would need more jail space, then, more space at the SRS hospital in Larned. That, will take money. We need to elect people who will help to raise money for more jail/SRS space. As we won't kill them, and my tax dollars are going to spent on them anyway, I'd much rather pay for predators to be housed by the State indefinately, than a roundabout any day.

topflight 9 years, 5 months ago

FIRST OFF. HE SHOULD BE LOCKED UP FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE. NO PAROLE EVER. 23.5 HOURS OF HIS DAY SHOULD BE IN A DARK CELL.

Secondly, the lovely hippy, liberal community of lawrence will embrace this individual. Remember, they are the ones that dont want law enforcement or courts. Remember the discuccions about all of that. They will take him in as one of their own. Hell, i bet KU will want him to enroll so they could get some diversity. This community makes me sick.

Jayhawk226 9 years, 5 months ago

I found out a bit ago my girlfriend was sexually abused by her step-father for about 3 years beginning when she was 11 years old. I could never understand how "she could allow that" and all the other questions that go along with this sad, sad story.

My mindset has shifted from never blaming her to hoping this guy lives a miserable life.

Worse yet, the scumbag was never found guilty in the Missouri court system and continues to live in Independence, MO.

I hope he lives a tragic life for permanently scarring my girlfriend's life.

Todd 9 years, 5 months ago

A retired police officer (70 years old) told me that if he caught someone commiting a sex crime against a child he'd kill right there. Even if he had to chase him down. I'll save you the details but his thinking on this was noble which is why I mention it here. He stated plainly that in his experience on the force every one of these child molesters gets out eventually and does it again so he would gladly trade is life/freedom to save that of a child's.

To all those here that said "Kill 'em all" would you trade the rest of your life to make sure a single child molester could never hurt another child?

mrcairo 9 years, 5 months ago

Topflight... as one of the most liberal people in Lawrence, please read my post, I think I speak for my fellow Liberal Friends.

drugdealer 9 years, 5 months ago

I love that you just make up whatever you want topflight. Liberals don't want law enforcement or courts? I've heard Republicans want to eat puppies and kittens because they like taste and wanted the to declare war on the entire world for oil. Oh wait, number two is partially correct.

I think these repeat offenders should be jailed for life or executed if their crimes are more serious especially if they say they can't be rehabilitated.

hawkrew 9 years, 5 months ago

It should be a case by case basis. Any "repeat offender" should not get a chance to be released.

Rob Gillaspie 9 years, 5 months ago

Anyone think THIS was funny?

"No, because history has shown that they don't stop what they are doing wrong. As Lewis Carroll said, 'Off with their heads!'"

Wasn't Lewis Carroll a pedophile, too? Oh, the irony...

westernksgirl 9 years, 5 months ago

To Todd: If your police officer would've "caught him in the act"; shooting the offender would be justified in defense of the third party. If he chased him down, then killed him . .if I were on the jury: "Justifiable Homicide". No jail time.

remember_username 9 years, 5 months ago

If is is a choice? I don't believe a person wakes up one day and "decides" to be a pedophile. I also think that some day we will advance in our treatments to the point that we WILL be able to correct "horrible mis-wiring" in the brain. So I believe that someday we will be able to ensure rehabilitation we just cannot ensure it now. Thus, I'm on board with those who would prefer to restrict pedophiles from encounters with potential victims. If this means they remain "locked up" then that's what it takes to protect the innocent.

But I don't believe in killing all pedophiles. I am not a death penalty advocate either. A mis-wired person can still be of benefit to society even if they cannot be cured and they should be afforded that opportunity.

I admittedly used to believe that some crimes deserved only death. But then I began to wonder if letting the state carry out the sentence of death for me, as a member of the state, wasn't just a bit cowardly - would I be willing to execute the criminal if I was picked at random to do so? I've seen enough of dark places to know that killing another human being, even in war, is to be avoided until all other recourses have been tried. Incarceration for the rest of the criminal's life (for punishment then to protect future victims) is acceptable to me.

Liberty 9 years, 5 months ago

If the child molester would be sincerely sorry from the heart for his/her crime, and seek Jesus with all of his/her heart and ask Jesus to live in their heart and be converted, then yes the person could be rehabilitated as long as he/she continued in God's word to control their corrupt thinking and resist it, instead dwelling on the pure thoughts of God's word.

It is a spiritual problem, not a physical one, therefore no treatment will help them. Their thinking is corrupted and their heart dwells on evil thoughts continuously to commit such acts. They have invited satanic thoughts into their thinking. God can help the person control their thoughts and keep them thinking clean and pure thoughts if Jesus lives in their heart. This is the only thing that will change their behavior. Jail time is only useful if they find God in the process otherwise jail is needed to keep them away from the public so they can't hurt anyone else.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

I never said that sexual predators weren't responsible for their actions. I just wanted to point out that often these people were victims themselves and now they can't break out of the vicious cycle. If your innocence was taken away forever, the world becomes a very warped and scary place. I think pedophiles see children as trusting and honest. All of the things they were when they were abused. Its a sick and twisted reality they live in. I'm not saying we should coddle these criminals but killing them seems a little too psychotic and harsh. I don't have the answers, just too much information.

enochville 9 years, 5 months ago

Of course no one wakes up one day and says, "I want to be a pedophile". No one wakes up and says they want to be a drug addict either, but that doesn't mean that neither one did not choose their behaviors that led to their addictions. I am not excusing their behaviors either by saying that they are motivated by emotional needs that we all share. We know how to meet our needs in appropriate ways, they have chosen horrible ways. Child molestation is sick and wrong and should be punished, and those who do it should be kept from the opportunity to do it again. I think that can be done without killing them. Futhermore, the threat of death does nothing to keep potential molesters from molesting (compare the prevalence of molestation among countries and states that execute molesters from those who do not - capital punishment doesn't make a difference).

I care deeply about the victims, I treat them everyday. It hurts me that they hurt. They need to know that they are safe now.

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

I put a child molester away for the rest of his life ( 3 strikes and you are gone ) in California before moving here and have to commendation from the city hanging on my wall to prove it. I also have a copy of the news taped that shows his ugly face for all to see.

I was due to have my 2nd baby back then (1997) and this man was trolling the park across the street from our house wanting kids to go with him in his van. He didn't get to far when the kids ran back to the house and I have never seen so many police show up at the same time in my life.

The next person who ever tries to do anything to my little one ( my oldest is in high school now ) better move out of the country and fast or they will see the wrath of a P.O.ed mom for sure.

enochville 9 years, 5 months ago

Good job, Italianprincess! Kudos to you!

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Even as a strong supporter of the death penalty, I have been surprised at the amount (and intensity) of the belief expressed today that these people should be executed. Unless the law is changed, these are not capital crimes. Unless that changes, they cannot, should not be executed. I'm with remember_username here in fervently hoping that someday we'll find an effective treatment for these people. Until then, confinement for life may be the only way to prevent recidivism.

On the other hand, if the child is also killed by their molester I believe the molestation is enough of an aggravating circumstance to require the death penalty. I have a 7-year-old daughter. If she were killed by a pedophile, I would save the courts and the taxpayers the effort and expense. And I would gladly pay whatever penalty a jury chooses for me, knowing that the molester will never again kill or hurt a child.

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

italianprincess: you posted while I was typing, so I hadn't yet read your last entry. Every community needs alert parents like you. All of our children, yours, mine, and people who've never heard of you, are safer because people like you pay attention and are willing to act. Thank you.

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

You are so very welcome.

This man who is as ulgy as what he USED to do to little children is gone now because of California's 3 strike law. Maybe all states should do this, that way these type pf offenders lose out and are kept inside of a prison for the rest of their life ( thats if they make it that long ). You know what some in prison do to sex offenders.

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Wow! I had no idea that it was so easy to kill people. I mean what is a human life anyway? The glee with which posters on here talk about offing pedophiles is nearly as frightening as the sexual predators and their acts. I have a child and if anything ever happened to her along these lines, I would be filled with rage and irrational hatred. But killing someone? It doesn't sound that easy to do. I'm sure if faced with that decision it would be a lot more difficult then it "seems".

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

That is so sweet, hugs_and_kisses!

acg 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't consider rapists and molesters of children humans so flipping that switch would be no problem for me.

italianprincess 9 years, 5 months ago

Carmenilla?

Are you sure you wouldn't want to have that person killed or put to death if they raped, molested and killed you child?

I think you would be so enraged at this person that at that moment you wouldn't really care what happened to them.

No one better do anything to one of my kids or they will see their life flash before their eyes.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 5 months ago

FYI - Every now and then the Salvation Army has one in their(our) midst. The hotline provided that information about one year ago.

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

I think Carmenilla's post (at 3:11) wasn't necessarily saying that she wouldn't want someone who molested and killed her child to be executed, although I don't recall from her posts if she supports or opposes the death penalty. I think rather she meant that she would have a difficult time pulling the trigger herself (so to speak).

Carmenilla: If I'm incorrect about this, please correct me. I don't want to misrepresent your thoughts. Also, if someone did actually commit these unspeakable crimes on your children, I don't believe any hatred you might feel toward them would be "irrational".

Kill_That_POS 9 years, 5 months ago

How do you rehabilitate a child molester?

Put a bullet in his head.

Problem Solved.

Quit wasting taxpayers money on trying to help these pieces of shÑ-t. They should of hung the bastard along time ago.

Period!

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

Fangorn, you are right, sort of....I am more amazed at the easy-going attitude of all these posters saying, "Heck ya! I'd flip the switch, pull the trigger, etc." I just don't think taking someone's life would be that easy no matter what the circumstances. The funny thing is that a lot of these "blood-thirsty" folks are the same ones talking about Terri Schiavo and how precious life is. I'm not comparing Terri and a murdering pedophile. All I'm saying is that the idea of killing someone is not the same as doing the deed.

simple_simon 9 years, 5 months ago

Gee, Kill person, I think you could have made your point without the four letter word. I guess the LJ World censor people must be asleep at the wheel today. (But thanks for the laugh! Your post cracked me up!)

Carmenilla 9 years, 5 months ago

What a bunch of anonymous online tough guys you are. Its pretty easy to type it but real life is a heck of a lot different. But, hey, whatever makes you feel beter....

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

2005: I think, if they are going to be killed, then the victims or the families of the victims should be the ones who have to throw the switch. I'm willing to bet that if the blood was to, so to speak, actually be on their own hands, in cold blood, there would be a change in opinion for quite a number of people.

For all sexual predators there will be those that rehabilitate and those that don't. The trick then is to keep those that don't behind bars. Perhaps the solution to this is to take the beauracracy out of the parole system, and actually have a team of people who know what to look for review convicted sex offenders for the possibility of parole. Perhaps then the ones that will do better (and, despite your denials, they do exist) will be able to resume a productive life, and those that don't won't get out, at least not to such frequency.

By the way, for everyone calling for their deaths. . . there's always vigilantism (word?). Sure, it could lead to your incarceration, but your sacrifice, in your own viewpoint, would surely benefit society. Most of their addresses are publicly available.

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

Again, in defense of Carmenilla, I don't think she's necessarily disagreeing with how society should respond to people who abuse/kill children. When she writes "I just don't think taking someone's life would be that easy no matter what the circumstances", she seems to be speaking for herself, personally. Some of us have expressed a willingness to be the executioner (if the word is proper to use without an actual trial). A few have done so with a rather flippant attitude toward the fact that we would be ending a life. She is exactly right that "the idea of killing someone is not the same as doing the deed."

I support the death penalty as something necessary but not joyful. My attitude is reflected in Tolkien's words in Gandalf's mouth (speaking of Gollum): "Deserves [death]! I dare say he does. Many live that deserve death. And some die that deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

And regarding the anonymity of this forum, kns, it is possible that all of us self-declared "trigger-pullers" and "switch-throwers" would be happy to declare ourselves publicly. But even a basic understanding of human nature will tell us that many people are more vocal about their beliefs or attitudes when they can remain anonymous. Carmenilla's remark merely reflects this understanding. Whether or not she is correct in this particular instance remains to be seen.

Finally, 2005, was the graphicness of your post really necessary?

Good night, everyone. A lively discussion today!

lunacydetector 9 years, 5 months ago

perhaps this child molester thinks he will be MORE accepted into this community. freaks of nature flock together. $278,000 to take care of this guy? i'd take care of him for $278,000, i'd also chain him to my hot water tank 24/7.

GoldPenny 8 years, 4 months ago

NewsChannel 5 Investigates: Congress Hears of Sex Offenders Under Golden Arches Posted: 5/3/2006 6:00:00 PM An exclusive NewsChannel 5 investigation of sex offenders working under the golden arches now has the attention of Congress.

"I'd like to bring to the attention of the committee a recent investigation by NewsChannel 5 in Nashville."

That was how U.S. Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., began a statement to a congressional committee.

The House panel was hearing testimony about the sexual exploitation of children. The congresswoman noted our investigation, which discovered dozens of child molesters and other sex offenders working at McDonald's restaurants. McDonald's markets itself as a great place for kids to eat and play -- and for teens to work.

"This has seriously troubled me because of the actions we have seen by these despicable people and what they go to to try and get close to the children," Blackburn told committee members.

In a separate interview with NewsChannel 5, Blackburn says she wants to see if more can be done to protect children.

"That we have sexual predators who are going into a place like a family-friendly restaurant, going into a place where they can be hired and get close to these children, to me that is of tremendous concern."

A child safety expert has called for a national boycott of McDonald's unless the chain does more to clean up its hiring practices. If you have information for our investigation, e-mail us. The address: investigate@newschannel5.com. http://www.newschannel5.com/content/investigates/19016.asp