Previous   Next

Are you alarmed by scientific findings that indicate the polar ice caps are melting twice as fast as they were in the 1990s?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 24, 2004

Browse the archives

“I find it alarming because the majority of the U.S. is unaware of the damage we are doing to our ecosystem. At least now, people in Lawrence will be aware.”

“That sounds a little frightening. It definitely says that we need to cut back on pollution.”

“I might be concerned about global warming if I lived in Sri Lanka. I hear that it’s going to be underwater if the ice caps melt any more.”

“Absolutely, I’m concerned about our country’s environmental policies. I’m hopeful that we will select leaders that are more supportive about environmental issues.”

Comments

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes... the posters here ARE well informed. I have definitely learned how to debate better because of it.

Have a cool weekend everyone!

Richard Heckler 9 years, 7 months ago

Cars is single largest major source of the air pollution problem. Energy use in homes, businesses etc. is also another major source of concern.

Obviously it will require a combination of lower wattage lifestyle changes to alter the course. We are now in the process of making those lower wattage changes in the areas of most frequent usage not to mention putting more effort into turning things off. There is a school of thought out there in the wide world stating if we just cut back in addition to using more energy efficient fixtures it would be likely no additional power plants would be necessary thereby saving us tax dollars in subsidies.

Bugbear 9 years, 7 months ago

Martian? Are you really from Mars? Your name wouldn't be Marvin, would it? I thought so!

Marvin, what do you care about this "rock" we call Earth, anyway? You're not from here! So why don't you go back to your planet and tip over that Mars Rover-thing that's going around in circles gathering up Martian soil samples! I dare ya! I'll pay you five bucks if you do!

You know when that thing dies, it'll just sit there forever collecting Martian dust! Isn't that considered litter on your planet? Go back there and take care of that thing, would ya?

Seems like your planet now has problems of its own, huh?!

We'll be seeing ya, Marvin! Have a safe trip!

Martian 9 years, 7 months ago

Denial, denial, denial. Enough with these secondguessing hacks who don't have the courage to even consider possibilities outside their little bubble. If your head is not big enough to consider new hypotheses, or objectively weigh evidence, don't ruin it for everybody else by resorting to your only defence: making yourself look good by attacking others. That behavior is for Jr.High girls, so grow up and quit whining.

Conerns about any major changes on this rock we call home that we are not prepared for deserve our consideration. For the dollars they will cost us, directly or indirectly, if nothing else.

Will changes in sea ice or sea levels affect me directly? If it increases the price of Salmon, Sea Bass or Tuna, yes it will. Otherwise, probably not, but I appreciate the having the information so I can make up my own mind.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

mrcairo!!

A Bush-less post OF YOURS??!!

I don't believe it!!

I didn't think it was possible!!

Hmmm......

....Time to go eat my shorts, I guess.........

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

Sorry Hi_jinks. I know it's not my place but sometimes I just can't help myself.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

I believe the melting of the Icecaps has only been studied for the last 40 years or so. That's like 1 second compared to the overall picture. So to blame it on one condition or another is very premature. We currently can only guess that the global warming condition is caused by pollution, when in fact it may be a normal condition.

At one time, the entire Northern Hemisphere was covered in water, due to natural conditions, millions of years ago, way before we arrived on the scene.

To be concerned, yes. To think that driving less will suddenly reverse the condition, I don't think so. Perhaps my house will one day be Beach Front Property. But I'm not holding my breath. (no pun intended)

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

For what it is worth, there are some really decent people who post on this site. I read with interest all of the post and even though many of us have differing opinions, every (well almost) everyone here make thought provoking, insightful and valuable remarks. So, I just wanted to say "YOU ALL ROCK"!!

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

Savage, I replied to your post, its the last one.

We just see things differently, thats what makes us individually different from each other.

Have a great day......

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

"nicegirl".......don't bother! That's mrcairo's job! Let him do it!

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm still trying to find a way to pin this on the Bush administration......

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

I do know how to spell LAWRENCE>>>> DUH?

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

Savage, I just went back and read your post form yesteday to Ip. You said so well what I failed at with your responding to her ( and so many in Larence and across the country) overused "homophobic" name calling. Thanks very much for standing up for what is right! and what is wrong in America today. C1

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

I like the fact that 3 of the people interview didn't answer the question, they simply jumped into standard rhetoric.

Am I concerned? No. There have been vast temperature fluxuations in Earth's history and you know this side of the argument through and through. Savage made the points, no need to rehash.

Monty the Saleman. Sri Lanka?

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

yeah c1.. its ashame when so many have been indoctinated by UN scientists. A little research goes a long ways.

Italian Princess... I answered your questions about body rights yesterday. (second to last post yesterday)

You asked. I replied.

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

Savage. Right on!! especially that last sentence.

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

The polar ice has thinned some 30-50% in the last 40 years.

This is unlikely a result of warming of the atmosphere, but the warming in the past century has been so very small (0.5 degrees C) that it cannot explain the thinning.

A natural cause of another kind, such as a change in polar ocean currents is quite possible, which would be no-ones fault except natural earth cycles and magnetic forces.

Leads (openings in Arctic sea ice) are common in the summer, with the ice forming into essentially icebergs that move around and smash into each other with the Arctic ocean currents. That there was a lead a mile wide may be unusual, but is not impossible even in the coolest of summers in the Arctic. The report is overblown, as many media reports are.

Geothermal research also needs to be conducted based on solar alignment theories (mainly the effects of the sun, flares, solar radiation etc) and the effects they may have on what goes on beneath the earths surface.

Suggestions have been made the earths core has also been increasing in temperature, and sub-surface magma has been increasing in those areas which is promoting melting on the caps in association with the earths magnetic forces, congregating the increased tempuratures at the poles. (conjecture so far).

However, they are looking for other reasons besides atmospheric changes, because its absurd to say greenhouse gases are causing a majority of the melting alone.

Lastly...There are inaccuracies in stating that there hasn't been open water at the North Pole in 50 million years. The climate has been much warmer than now (today), MUCH MORE recently than that.

Whoever is spreading this propoganda should be deported and charged with sedition.

NO MONEY to the greenpeace whackos... Remember...anyone can hype this and take your money and go the bahamas with it and chill... suckers.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

The world's coming to an end?

/breathes sigh of relief

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

I think we need to question the validity of ANY news reporting. We all know that you can choose your version of what is really happening. Too often we believe what we read without critically questioning it's validity. The JW has an obligation to print what the editors know the market wants. In this case it is going to be predominantly left of center. Depending on what paper you read it could be right of center. then of course you have to determine what the underlying agenda of the "scientist"is? are they looking for more funding? Larger budget to continue research? Dooms day predictions is one way of alarming the typical reader into campaigning for the cause. So, are the icecaprs really melting? I don't know? How can I find out for sure?? read different views? The truth is difficult at best to find considering people tell the truth according to what they think it is. But please don't just believe it, or anything to be true because the JW or any other corporately owned media outlet tells you so. The same is true for commercials, people, they don't care about you! They want your money$$$

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

Monty (pictured above)......I take it your answer is "no"? Or is it "yes"? I'm confused! Please clarify your response!

P.S. Sri Lanka?

Richard Heckler 9 years, 7 months ago

In todays JW the article implicating clean Lawrence air will make some more comfortable driving guzzlers. President Bush does not believe in global warming hence "Global Warming Bush" t-shirts.

Yes this is serious. It would be a good idea for all who can now afford the cool new 70mpg cars to the park the gas guzzlers they may now use for everyday driving. A Prius is on our list when we can afford it. We've also taken up walking to town lots more and of course the bicycles. However we can do better which I belive this family should as we are physically able.

saidtoomuch 9 years, 7 months ago

Pollution won't become a serious issue to a majority of people until its effects are blatantly obvious. Hopefully then corporate and industrial america will decide to get behind safer practices. For the mean time there is too much money to be made killing our earth. Anyway most people in this town are too concerned with trying to clean up cig. smoke in bars to worry themselves about the destruction of the environment.
Why are there not any decent sized, affordable electric vehicles yet? And up through the ground came a bubblin crude. Oil that is, black gold, texas tea!

Kyle Rohde 9 years, 7 months ago

Nope, not real concerned about it. The water level will rise and our coasts will slowly be shrunken, big deal. There's a lot more important issues to worry about, even on just the environmental side. Typical doomsday speak from scientists, the same people who say we'll be out of oil next week unless we all start driving electric cars.