Previous   Next

Will you be disappointed if no one steps up to organize Lawrence’s Christmas parade?

Asked at Borders on September 22, 2004

Browse the archives

“Well, sure. Lawrence is such a tight-knit community, you kind of expect that kind of thing to happen.”

“I think I would. It seems a shame to let the tradition go by the wayside because no one will pick up the flag.”

“Absolutely. I really feel like it’s a tradition, and I feel like young people miss out on too many traditions already.”

“Yes I will. One thing that we can still believe in these days is Christmas. It’s nice to know that there is still love and joy in the world, and that’s what the Christmas parade is all about.”

Comments

Redneckgal 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu I feel so sorry for your children. You must be some kind of lunatic. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be raised by someone like you.

Carmenilla 10 years, 8 months ago

Reader you really are the new e.e. cummings.....I am amazed by your unique style.

jlc 10 years, 8 months ago

I didn't even know there WAS a Christmas parade. I almost never go downtown because you have to pay to park down there...

Lulu 10 years, 8 months ago

Oh come on men. Except for Jill, everyone who has responded is a man.

We wouldn't have wars if it weren't for men showing their machismo.

A womyns perspective is a good thing. Keep your X-Mas parade off my street. Keep your religion off my body. Keep your religion out of my mind.

There is a thing about separation of church and state. The street is the state. The parade is religion. They don't mix and are doomed for failure, just like this parade based on the celebration of a ghost in the sky.

Lulu 10 years, 8 months ago

Not having someone jamming God down our throats this X-Mas will be welcome.

Keep your religion off my body and out of my mind!

These neocons must be stopped. Not having a parade to indoctrinate the children will be a "blessing."

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu,

The Lord is saddent by your attitude on this day. Do you think its fair to tell the creator of the World you think his philosophies and teachings must be stopped, and to also not indoctrinate the children with his holy worlds would be a "blessing?" There is no other way to heaven than through me, said Jesus. May God have mercy on you and reveal to you the truth, and may he save your eternal soul.

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

Another point of view: A few people will not destroy our traditions,Christian holidays and Federal Holidays. We respect Jewish, Christian, and other religious holidays in this great melting pot we call America! That is what makes America great. If other faiths want to have parades, parties and celebrations so be it, even publicly. And please posters dont give some ludricrous example of some whacked out minority who will never be mainstream as to cite an example.

mrcairo 10 years, 8 months ago

Well I hope whoever gets involved brings something a little different to the parade. Horses dropping poo on the streets gets a bit boring after a few minutes.

How about something in the Park, Ginger Bread House competition. Sell some Hot Cocoa to raise money for the poor kids. How about a Period-Dress-Up contest. Choir Contest. Get creative! I know - $1.00 a swing to bash a likeness of Osama or Bush - your choice. See who raises the most money.

I have tons of Ideas: Janet Jackson Float? Naaaaaa too boring. How about some Middle Eastern Belly Dancers. How about a float with a mechanical dummy swinging a large knife and the head of another dummy flopping into a bucket with blood squirting the kids. Just like Daddy in Iraq! Something relevant.

I'll do it - I'll organize it - it'll be fun!

oddisee 10 years, 8 months ago

At the risk of ruining the perfect union of women posters to this blog......horses are just plain fun to watch, especially when they're all dressed and prancing in a parade. Having folks in costume riding their horses or driving their buggies and wagons is not a political or religious threat, nor is it a mandatory event to attend. If you don't want to come, don't. If you don't care for the holidays, then don't participate. I do remember the large crowds that attended this parade last year. I do not remember seeing any protesters. There were folks out for a brisk morning of horses, wagons and shopping. I do hope that the Lawrence Downtown Association will be able to pick up the tab to continue this tradition. Oh.....I am most definately a woman. And I have two horses and a donkey....all of whom were looking forward to participating. Maybe we'll see you in the parade?!

nicegirl 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu: Speak for yourself about a woman's point of view. I am God loving woman who is smart enough to know that without Jesus there is no Christmas.The parades are for children and no one is shoving anything down your throat. You are free to choose whether you attend or not.

Maybe you and mrcairo should hook up sometime. You both a little nutty with your nonsequitors and nonsense. Hopefully it's just a facade and not your real personalities or the world is in trouble!

craigers 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu, it has been a few days since we have seen your wonderful comments. However, the fact that you celebrate Christmas and by the way it is Christmas for a reason not x-mas, and in the same sentence talk about God being shoved down your throat. I have never been to one of these Christmas parades, but I imagine that it is purely volutary to go. I can't imagine somebody dragging you down there to just throw God in your face. And to top it all off, I would hope God would be a part of the Christmas parade, because without Him there would be no Christmas. Oh well, I am just suprised to find out there was a Christmas parade. I didn't know we had one and I also didn't know Lawrence would have a parade about something "religious."

jillh 10 years, 8 months ago

The only connection the parade has to god is that it is a "christmas parade". There is no religion being thrown down peoples throats, lots of horses pulling sleds and Santa at the end but that's about it. Oh and who 'almost never goes downtown'?? You can park in the garage for free for up to two hours or park on an off street that isn't metered and walk. But then I forget we are all lazy these days and want everything for free...

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

thats true jillh... It mostly jolly st nick anyways and the the attitude of charity, good will, sharing, kindness, family values, and hey... its another good reason to throw a good party too.

jonas 10 years, 8 months ago

Using my super-formula, I will distill Lulu's posts for the rest of us, who don't want to wade through the rhetoric.

Bubble bubble toil and trouble Hiss steam glurp drip drip

Distillations complete/ retrieving new transcript

Lulu: me! me! me! me! memememememememememememememememe!!!!!!!!!

jonas 10 years, 8 months ago

Mr Cairo: Congratulations, you actually managed to offend me. That's really difficult to do.

But way to trivialize someone dying rather horribly, jacka$$

nicegirl 10 years, 8 months ago

Mrcairo: You are a horribly insensitive jerk to make a mockery of the beheadings that have happened in Iraq. The victims and their families deserve better than to have the tragedy belittled and trivialized by a man with no compassion and some off the wall sense of humor. I prefer to think that your sense of humor is lacking and that you are not really that cruel and insensitive.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 8 months ago

mrcairo, judging by the contents of your last post....

It looks like I'm not the only one who needs to switch to decaf.

LuLu, you use the phrase (twice), "keep your religion off my body."

....Ah, okay, LuLu....whatever.

Would I be disappointed if no one stepped up to organize a Christmas parade? Yeah, sure! But, I have to ask, who would that "someone" be that organizes the parade? Who's (generally) in charge of such a thing? The city? Local merchants? A civic group of some kind?

P.S. LuLu, you say that the parade (itself) is "religion". Since when did Santa, and his reindeer, become religious figures? If the sights and/or sounds (Ho! Ho! Ho!) of someone like Santa are truly offensive to you.....Well, then, I guess there isn't any hope left in this world for someone like you!

Pity.

Reader 10 years, 8 months ago

Hey Hi_Jinks, You Forgot. LuLu Has "5" Children, You Forgot To Add "2" More Ho's!

Carmenilla 10 years, 8 months ago

If Santa and a bunch of beautifully restored vintage carriages is religion than sign me up! That parade is one of the best things about Lawrence. You should see the kids' faces. My family and I have never missed one, even when it rained. I hope that despite Rob Philips' bungling we can still see the horses and the carriages marching down Mass St. come December. Man, I can't believe anyone ever thought I was Lulu....Whew!

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

How would a person who wanted to step up and take chrage to keep the parade scheduled for the holidays?

I love a good parade and at Christmas time it makes it even better. I love to see the faces of the kids as they watch the horses go by. Everyone dressed up in the best old fashoin clothing riding in old time carriages brings back the good old days when most of us weren't even around to enjoy it.

Who knows who to contact about this issue of stepping up and taking charge of this??????

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

So are you saying the merchants should be handling the parade and stepping up since they are the ones who benefit from it?

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

I just read the article and he said the cost is 7,000 to 8,000 to have this parade. How can it possibly cost this much money to have a parade? Why is the cost so high and who paid for it in the past?

I'm very interested in this now, so if anyone has any input here it would be great. I will be calling the paper also to get some info.....

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 8 months ago

Princess....your last post would seem to make the most sense. (I mean, that sounds about right.)

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

I called the Hotel and a girl in charge is going to be calling me back during my lunch break. I'm going to get to the bottom of this and find out why it costs so much.

It would be a shame not to have a parade after having one every year for 10 years.

craigers 10 years, 8 months ago

I think the prisoners should walk down Mass and scoop up the poop and you don't have to pay for that. Of course they would have to have their feet chained together. Or we could just have those who are on probation do that for community service. Just a couple of thoughts.

JHAWKGURL 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu, you are an idiot...simply stated! Get a life.....And just so that you know you old wretch.....I am praying for you right now and your babies and all of their daddies whether you know them or not. God bless you...you poor soul. God loves you .......

Carmenilla 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow! What an inspired idea! Maybe we can sell bags of small rocks and stone those worthless bastards as they scoop the poop. I'm all for more human misery. Especially around Christmas time......

LovinNDB 10 years, 8 months ago

Wow! I feel sorry for LuLu...she just needs Jesus to put his arm around her shoulder and explain things.
Mr.Cairo on the other hand is just sick... Of course, there should be a Christmas parade. Those who don't want to go, don't go.

nicegirl 10 years, 8 months ago

Italian Princess: If you decide to organize a parade and you need help, you let me know. It would be a shame not to have one.

Reader 10 years, 8 months ago

Just Curious, Do They Mean No "One Individual" Or No "One Organazion" To Step Up? ie. "The Lawrence Chamber Of Commerce". I Think It Would Be Nice To Have "All Of The City Merchants, From Fast Foods, Grocery, Auto, Resturants, Retail, Anyone Who Has A Business Here In Town Foot The Bill. A Small Fee For Participation, Oh, Let's Say $100.00 Each (Guestimate) Which Is Nothing To Some. They Could Come Up With A Theme Maybe Like, "Dashing Though The Stores" With Their Own Floats That Advertise Their Bussiness, Hey! They Could Even Light Them Up For The Evening! (1st Place For The Best Of Course) They Could Hand Out Discount Coupons (%'s off, Buy One Get One Free, ect. ect.) To Everyone Who Attends. (Not To Just A "Few" To "Everyone") Everyone Would Get Something Out Of It, Merchants Will Make Money, People Would Save Money, And The Kids Lets Not Forget About The Kids. They Always Enjoy The Free Candy They Could Hand Out, Not Alone Seeing The Horse's, Sleigh's, Costume's And "Santa Clause". (BTW Why Not Mrs. Clause, Added) Pictures With Santa Would Also Be Nice. As Far As The Religion Part Of It, To Each His Own, With All Do Respect. It Could Be The Start Of Something New. And Maybe One Finale Thing, Let's Keep This "Politically Free" The City Will Always Have Parades, No Matter What The Season Or Event, If The Merchants Would Just Share The Wealth, The Citizens Of Lawrence Would Share The Joy Of Giving. Everybody Wins.

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

Reader,

I'm still waiting for that phone call from the Eldridge, but your idea sounds like a real plan to solve this problem.

Now the big thing here is to get the city going on this one because December isn't to far away.

Carmenilla 10 years, 8 months ago

You must remember that most of the parade participants come from all over and they really need to be housed in close proximity to their horses. Thats why the Eldridge was a good place for them. Rob set up horse tents and temporary stables for them right next to the Eldridge. Its a lot more planning than any well- intentioned person could handle without the right contacts and pull.

Reader 10 years, 8 months ago

Yes, Yes, Yes. The Cost? If The "City Of Lawrence" Were To Give Such A Parade, Then Why Couldn't They "Give" Themselves With No Strings Attached, Permits, Advertising, Insurance? (Not Even Going There!) Police, Yes Even Pooper Scoopers, Maybe The City Comissioners Could Do That, (They've Been Wanting To Clean Up The Streets For Some Time Now! I Think Everyone Would Take That It Good Humor). In This Time Of "Giving"? What Would Be The Reason Why They Couldn't "Give" Themselves A Permit? Can't The "LJW" "Give" One Free Page Of Advertising? (I've Seen Them Use A Whole Page For Alot Worse). As Much As I Pay For Cable, I Think Sunflower Broadband Could Afford To "Mention" It A Least Once, Provided It Isn't On (Saturday Or Sunday, No News). Don't You Think? Aren't There Any Of Our "Men In Uniform" Willing To "Donate" Some Time? Honestly, We're Only Taking About 2 Or 3 Hours. And There Were Many Times The Parades Weren't That Long Either! On The Other Hand Some, Not All, Downtown Merchants Don't Feel They Have To "Foot The Bill", Because They Have Everyone By "The Christmas Bulbs". "Why Should I Pay For It, When I Get It Already!" If Something Isn't Done It's Going To Be Another Poor Holiday Season For A Lot Of People. The Staples Of Life Come First Before I Can Spend. Mortgage, Gas, Water, Lights, Cable, (BTW Isn't A Luxury Anymore, It's A Necessity In This Time And Age) And Then... Maybe Some Groceries. This Is Supposed to Be The Time For Sharing And Giving. As A Citizen And Tax Payer, And As Much As We Spend Here I Think The "City" And "Merchants" Could "Give Back Just A Little!".

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

Well its now 5:22 pm and I never got that phone call returned from the Eldridge. I will be calling the city tomorrow and discussing it with them along with calling The Sandbar since they have hosted it a few times.

I'm hoping to get some kind of info here from someone as to who I need to speak to.

Nicegirl, I will let you know whats going on when I figure it out. Thanks for your support.