Previous   Next

What do you think about people stealing political signs out of other people’s yards?

Asked at Weaver's Department Store on September 19, 2004

Browse the archives

“I think it’s an invasion of privacy. If it is their property, then they have the right to put up signs. People should find a more positive way to express their opinions.”

“I think it’s rude, and that it’s trespassing.”

“Oh, that used to happen to us all the time when we lived here. We just replaced them. I don’t know why people bother.”

“I think everyone should be able to have their opinions on display in their own yard. Anyone who steals political signs is repressing that right.”

Comments

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 8 months ago

......New Zealand, mrcairo? .........Hmmm......Well...........What's stopping you?

snoozey 10 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like fun, there should be prizes for a complete set. I think one of those nice pink plastic flamingos may be appropriate.

Adam 10 years, 8 months ago

Grilled_Cheese's comment was right on the money

Fishman 10 years, 8 months ago

New Zealand, mrcairo?? They wouldn't want you! Talk about paranoid!! LOL Everyone is out to get you, poor baby!

Fishman 10 years, 8 months ago

And as far as people stealing anything out of people's yards, that is low. Both parties signs disappear, so it's probably close to even, just like the slanderous remarks both parties make about each other. Hell, we have so much freedom here, we have a choice whether we even want to vote or not!!! Leave people's signs alone! How about a little tolerance of thy neighbor!

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

I suppose the sign destroyers reason that by taking down the signs they may help their candidate succeed.

Its probably neighbors more than anything who stongly dislike the opposition and dont want to see it every day.

What if in fact a certain candidate lost by 5 votes in Lawrence? What if that candidate couldnt keep their own signs up due to removal or whatever.... Is it something to think about? Probably not. ha

italianprincess 10 years, 8 months ago

The only sign I have on my front yard is one that reads this: " God Bless America ". Of course I have my little flag American flag too.

grilled_cheese 10 years, 8 months ago

I think the black and white pictures make everyone look really classy and profound... heehee...

Anyway, I think stealing signs is a big no-no. Its stealing, no matter for what reason, and isn't stealing against the law? Yes. Why don't you go register people to vote, or help with a campaign, do something constructive, instead of violating peoples' rights to voicing their own opinions.

mrcairo 10 years, 8 months ago

If you are tearing down Kerry/Edwards signs apparently it's ok. If you're trashing Bush/Cheney signs you are probably shot on site.

It's a sad state of affairs. Freedom of Speech in this country has gone to hell. Have you noticed, it's the Kerry/Edwards signs that get trashed the most. Typical Republican tactic, to stifle freedom of speech.

I suggest everyone go out and buy some boots, keep them shiny, and practice raising their Right-Arm up HIGH. A new Republic is forming, and it's being controlled by the religious right. They will kill and mame and torture and hold you in prisons at will if you do not agree with them.

The United States of America has become a Neo-Nazi State. And G.W. Bush is the leader. The Elections will be meaningless. Oh sure you can vote for anybody you want, but the results are already in.

I understand New Zealand is a nice place to live.

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

geesh mr cairo.. please... close the gates of your conspiratorial pie hole.
Your words only breed fear and lies.

websters defines despicable as:

so worthless or obnoxious as to rouse moral indignation

please, do us a favor and check into it.

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

your words at least today are anyways.

Fishman 10 years, 8 months ago

"Let me just say this in the simplest possible terms," Edwards said at a rally in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania. "When John Kerry is president of the United States, we will find al Qaeda where they are and crush them before they can do damage to the American people." Here's the link from CNN. http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/19/hastert.remark/index.html This is a direct quote from Senator John Edwards. Sounds like he has the same idea that Bush has mrcairo?! Hmmmm.... guess Afghanistan, and Iraq would have happened no matter who was president. Maybe not on the same day, but most likely the same year. Imagine that!!!

JHAWKGURL 10 years, 8 months ago

if you steal mine....you will be shot.....cuz mine says...FOR SALE.......

madcow 10 years, 8 months ago

"Hmmmm.... guess Afghanistan, and Iraq would have happened no matter who was president. "

Iraq had nothing to do with Al Qaeda....

I have a Kerry/Edwards sign in my window. It is in my window so that losers cant come up and steal it out of my yard.

Fishman 10 years, 8 months ago

Funny how Kerry was for the war at all costs last year, and now just says what people want to hear. I'll give him credit, he is a politician in the truest sense of the word. Unfortunately what we want to hear isn't always in the best interest of the people of our country. Don't be naive about Iraq not being involved in being a threat to our country. All I can say, as I've said before, is ask people that live here in Lawrence that either lived in Iraq, or any neighboring country of Iraq about Sadaam. I'm also not arrogant enough to think I hear or know 10% of what really goes on over there. There's so much we will never know, and shouldn't know. I will admit that I wish Clinton would have done away with Osama when he had the chance, but I respect the hell out of him for conveying his belief that al Queda was the top threat to our country to the incoming President Bush. Even he agreed about going to war in Iraq, although he believed we should have gone the distance with the weapons inspectors. I do tend to agree with him, since we already had given Sadaam 10 years plus to hide what he needed to in other countries, so what difference was a few months going to make. We may have even found where they are stashed in Syria! Only a fool would believe with all of Sadaam's defiance that he entirely eliminated ALL his weapons of mass destruction. Unfortunately freedom isn't free. We are just the recipients of what our fathers and mothers gave us. Funny how we some of us spoiled Americans seem to forget that. Thank God I'm not a Kurd.