Previous   Next

What would you put in Lawrence’s sesquicentennial time capsule?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on September 17, 2004

Browse the archives

“I would put in a digital camera with a bunch of photos on it. Everyone could see what things were like.”

“I would put a DVD of ‘Chappelle’s Show’ on Comedy Central. I think it is important for people in the future to know that even today race is still an issue.”

“I would have to say that I would put a Bible in there as a message of both hope and need.”

“I would put a picture of the Twin Towers in there, because it was a defining event of our time.”

Comments

Larry 10 years ago

Tabitha Flaherty - Best answer by far!

Rob Gillaspie 10 years ago

Yeah, I do have an awesome hat. I gotta admit it.

Punkin 10 years ago

I would include a chunk of rich Kansas topsoil, farmland, and a jar of clean water. These are our most precious resources but we seem to be squandering them under the weight of parking lots and bulldozers and suburban housing developments.

We might want to use the time capsule as an ark of sorts, documenting creatures big and small as it appears that our penchant for uncontrolled development, sprawing highways and habitat destruction is going to render many native species extinct before the next time capsule is planted.

craigers 10 years ago

I would have to agree with Larry, great answer Tabitha. And also a round of applause for getting four people to see different things for the same question. Good job LJWorld. I would have to say music would be a cool thing to leave in there since we know how much that can change over the years and maybe some of our clothes. Chances are when the capsule gets opended, the clothes will be back in style again, just like that flipped up collar thing that is in right now. That just looks dorky, sorry.

nicegirl 10 years ago

Iwould put LuLu in. That way years from now people can still enjoy pointless rambling and carrying on.

Savage 10 years ago

an lj world newspaper, so people could see how fair and balanced the news is in our times.

jonas 10 years ago

Nicegirl: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Best post I've seen in a while! But you owe me a new computer screen, cuz I coughed my coke out on this one.

If we wanted to be true to the current spirit of Lawrence, I think a non-smoking sign would be fitting.

Rob Gillaspie 10 years ago

A Bible? WTF? You people think there won't be any Bibles in the future? All four of the people questioned are f*cking idiots. "A picture of the Twin Towers." "A DVD of Chapelle's Show." What the HELL do any of those things have to do with Lawrence? It should be something that is representative of our community... oh wait, never mind. Most people in this town of TV addicted Bible thumpers. Never mind.

mrcairo 10 years ago

That days LJ World.

I love looking at old newspapers, and checking out the cars for sale, the prices, and house prices.

jonas 10 years ago

It's not true that none of the examples have anything to do with Lawrence. Natasha's pics of the town and people certainly would.

BigGuy 10 years ago

I would put in the transcripts from the On the Street boards so that people can see if any of the stuff that we so hotly debated now matters in the future. The only problem with that is, they may think we were a bunch of idiots!

me 10 years ago

Ya'll are cracking me up!

Matticus_Finch 10 years ago

A DVD copy of Waiting for Guffman.

(somebody PLEASE get this joke)

happygolucky 10 years ago

I think I would put in a gift card for Starbuck's. They are worse than roaches. In fifty years, this will all be owned by them. Dillon's caved and that's just the beginning. I'm stocking up on sleeping pills so I can rake in the cash when you all can't sleep. If your going to put in a bible, then you better include ones of different faiths. Or do you really believe that a middle-eastern jewish carpenter is the one who will save us all? I'm sure Bible thumping will still be around, as will those nice people who knock on your door to spread their word. Take some pictures of the potholes, and lets see if the can get the roads right in fifty years. As how about those wetlands? Oh... and a Hallmark card would be nice.

JP 10 years ago

I like the newspaper idea. By that time, the extreme bias will have been corrected and will no longer exist. They will have to have some way to prove it really existed.

I suppose the capsule isn't big enough to fit Dan Blather in it, so scratch that thought.

P.S. I could care less how accurate my story or information might be. I'm sticking by it because I want it to be true.