Previous   Next

What would you put in Lawrence’s sesquicentennial time capsule?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on September 17, 2004

Browse the archives

“I would put in a digital camera with a bunch of photos on it. Everyone could see what things were like.”

“I would put a DVD of ‘Chappelle’s Show’ on Comedy Central. I think it is important for people in the future to know that even today race is still an issue.”

“I would have to say that I would put a Bible in there as a message of both hope and need.”

“I would put a picture of the Twin Towers in there, because it was a defining event of our time.”

Comments

JP 9 years, 7 months ago

I like the newspaper idea. By that time, the extreme bias will have been corrected and will no longer exist. They will have to have some way to prove it really existed.

I suppose the capsule isn't big enough to fit Dan Blather in it, so scratch that thought.

P.S. I could care less how accurate my story or information might be. I'm sticking by it because I want it to be true.

happygolucky 9 years, 7 months ago

I think I would put in a gift card for Starbuck's. They are worse than roaches. In fifty years, this will all be owned by them. Dillon's caved and that's just the beginning. I'm stocking up on sleeping pills so I can rake in the cash when you all can't sleep. If your going to put in a bible, then you better include ones of different faiths. Or do you really believe that a middle-eastern jewish carpenter is the one who will save us all? I'm sure Bible thumping will still be around, as will those nice people who knock on your door to spread their word. Take some pictures of the potholes, and lets see if the can get the roads right in fifty years. As how about those wetlands? Oh... and a Hallmark card would be nice.

Matticus_Finch 9 years, 7 months ago

A DVD copy of Waiting for Guffman.

(somebody PLEASE get this joke)

me 9 years, 7 months ago

Ya'll are cracking me up!

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

re: Natasha's camera? Why in the world would you put in the whole camera? It would be impossible to retrieve the pictures in 50 years from a digital camera. Although, pictures of a downtown partially filled with national chain stores would be nice. How unique.

goatdog 9 years, 7 months ago

I'd add a gift certificate from Miracle Video.

BigGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

I would put in the transcripts from the On the Street boards so that people can see if any of the stuff that we so hotly debated now matters in the future. The only problem with that is, they may think we were a bunch of idiots!

Merkin 9 years, 7 months ago

CORRECTION: With exception of Natasha's Suggestions everything the other people suggested had little or nothing to do with Lawrence.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

It's not true that none of the examples have anything to do with Lawrence. Natasha's pics of the town and people certainly would.

Rob Gillaspie 9 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I do have an awesome hat. I gotta admit it.

Merkin 9 years, 7 months ago

I would put a single square of toilet paper to signify the pointless celebration of 150 years of this self absorbed town. I frankly don't see the point in celebrating 150 years. It's not really that long and most people really IMO don't care. Talk to me in another 50. 200 is sumthing to celebrate. I also agree that the items suggested to put into the time capsule had NOTHING to do with Lawrence. They should put pictures of the arrogant city commision and articles showing the sky rocketing and inflated property values and how the middle class is being shoved out of this town faster than the city commision can legislate the $h!t bans propigated by out of town interests wanting to turn it into something of their own design.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

That days LJ World.

I love looking at old newspapers, and checking out the cars for sale, the prices, and house prices.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

Nice_girl gets the post of the day award for sure.

I hate to admit it, but I got to agree with Murderama. None of the answers has anything to do with Lawrence. Why would you put a bible in the capsule? Are we anticpating that Muslims will take over Lawrence and ban bibles? A DVD of Chappelle Show? What? Twin Towers??? Recorded history won't end after this time capsule gets shoved wherever and forgotten.

FlakeyT 9 years, 7 months ago

I think we should put Murderama's hat in it. Let other generations stare in awe...

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

Murderama, you are an unhappy person aren't you. Bummer for you!! It must be tough going through life being P.O'ed all of the time.

Rob Gillaspie 9 years, 7 months ago

A Bible? WTF? You people think there won't be any Bibles in the future? All four of the people questioned are f*cking idiots. "A picture of the Twin Towers." "A DVD of Chapelle's Show." What the HELL do any of those things have to do with Lawrence? It should be something that is representative of our community... oh wait, never mind. Most people in this town of TV addicted Bible thumpers. Never mind.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Nicegirl: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Best post I've seen in a while! But you owe me a new computer screen, cuz I coughed my coke out on this one.

If we wanted to be true to the current spirit of Lawrence, I think a non-smoking sign would be fitting.

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

an lj world newspaper, so people could see how fair and balanced the news is in our times.

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

Iwould put LuLu in. That way years from now people can still enjoy pointless rambling and carrying on.

consumer1 9 years, 7 months ago

I concur Tabitha by far the best answer. I believe I also would put DNA specimens of native kansas wildlife into the mix. maybe even male and female of all species. Even human. Who knows? They may need it in the future.

craigers 9 years, 7 months ago

I would have to agree with Larry, great answer Tabitha. And also a round of applause for getting four people to see different things for the same question. Good job LJWorld. I would have to say music would be a cool thing to leave in there since we know how much that can change over the years and maybe some of our clothes. Chances are when the capsule gets opended, the clothes will be back in style again, just like that flipped up collar thing that is in right now. That just looks dorky, sorry.

Larry 9 years, 7 months ago

Tabitha Flaherty - Best answer by far!

Punkin 9 years, 7 months ago

I would include a chunk of rich Kansas topsoil, farmland, and a jar of clean water. These are our most precious resources but we seem to be squandering them under the weight of parking lots and bulldozers and suburban housing developments.

We might want to use the time capsule as an ark of sorts, documenting creatures big and small as it appears that our penchant for uncontrolled development, sprawing highways and habitat destruction is going to render many native species extinct before the next time capsule is planted.