Previous   Next

Are you planning to participate in Lawrence’s 150th birthday celebration this Saturday?

Asked at Hy-Vee on Sixth Street on September 13, 2004

Browse the archives

“Unfortunately I will be out of town, but I wish I could go. I’m usually here every weekend.”

“Yes I’m going, just to see what it’s all about. It sounds like a fun family outing.”

“I didn’t know all that much was going on. I’ll have to find out more about it.”

“Yes I am. I’m looking forward to dancing in the street, and having a good time.”

Comments

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Do towns ever have to get put out to pasture? Or taken out back of the shed and put down?

If so, when is Oskaloosa's next birthday?

Adam 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm going to watch my Jayhawks put together another W on the gridiron. GO HAWKS!!!

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes... I cant wait to bar hop... Its been a while.

Also... I just watched ABC World News for the first time in years (watching as im typing actually).

It is true... holy cow!!! IT IS like watching a support Ad for the Kerry Campaign.

WOW!

I never thought it would be that obvious.

how wrong I was.

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

Well it can always be hijacked......

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

It'll be nice that South Park will host an event that doesn't prominently involve anarchists, lesbians, Lulu's Fan Club, etc...

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

Parade at 10 a.m. Saturday followed by a festival in South Park 'til 3.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

mr_daniels - The_Original_Bob requests that you quit referring to yourself in the third person. Other than that, have a nice time in Phoenix this weekend.

I don't know anything about this 150th birthday celebration. Of course, I probably would if I actually read the LJ World instead of just clogging up the message board.

mr_daniels 9 years, 7 months ago

mr.cairo take care your own sorry arse! mr_daniels takes care of his own! Moron!

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

All of you in here today are to funny.........

I'm going to take my little one downtown to the parade at 10, the off to the park for some Saturday fun and games.

I hope the weather is good and of course it decided not to rain.

BTW......I shot a 44 Mag when I was around 21, but no one showed me how to hold it........I'm sure you could finish the rest of my sentence yourselves....

I know its not comparison to an AK-47, but it sure kicked my..........

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

Gee...I was thinking about heading out this Saturday to take in some of the festivities.......but now I'm not so sure...... mrcairo's message now has me kinda spooked.........maybe I'll just stay home and watch some college football or mow my lawn. (To lessen my chances of being blown up and all!)

P.S. BTW, my lawn mower has a grenade launcher attached to it....so don't mess with me! Okay?

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm not going out to Celebrate unless Mr-Daniels is present with all of his AK-47's to protect me from the communists. I hope he has his Fully - Auto M-16 as well to protect me from the Iraqi Weapons of Mass Deception. And I hope he has his mini-Uzi to protect me from the Government as well.

As long as Mr.-Daniels is there to protect me, then yes, I will be out in force with my family, to take in as many events as I can. Unless of course someone from Iraq drives over here across the oceans and blows up a car right in the middle of it.

mr_daniels 9 years, 7 months ago

The Clinton Gun Ban sunsets today. Now that is something to celebrate. mr_daniels owns and fires the ak-47. It is reasonalbly accurate out to 400 yards and makes an excellent range rifle for predator control. Mostly wild dog packs that pray on cattle! This is not a pretty rifle, it is semi-automatic, uses either a five round, ten round, twenty and thirty round magazines. Safety is #1 when handling any firearm from bb gun, shotgun to bow and arrow knife and a rock! In order to own a fully automatic assault rifle, I will need to apply for a class III license and even though I could probably qualify after extensive government BATF background checks it could a great hassle to keep it. Paying the annual tax stamp and receiving clearance from the local CLEO...! I and 30,000,00 other owners of semi-automatics have 20,000 laws to keep us in check. Now that does not work for pistol packing, knife carrying, brass knuckled meatheads out there that mean to do me and you physical harm does it? Three percent of all gun crimes were comitted by semi-auto rifles! In l934 congress enacted a law that prohibits U.S. citizens from owning full automatic assault weapons (machine guns, Tommy guns, Browning automatic rifles BAR,) etc. In 1989 President Bush signed into law the AWB. Semi-automatic rifles came in from China, Yugoslavia, Hungary, Egypt, Finland. They were exact copies of from military brothers. Absent were the automatic sear trigger parts, making these rifles no longer qualified as assault weapons! These rifles were most desired by collectors such as myself and those interested in the History of the weapon. Others wanted to purchase the weapon to plink with down at the range. American rifles were effected by the l989 ban as well. The Ar-l5 a civilian version of the military M16 and the Ruger Mini l4 an others were effectivly banned. The Clinton Gun Ban did away with high capacity rifle and pistol magazines. Not clips as so often stated by the Lame stream media! And you all should know who thet are. The rifles effected bythe l989 ban were now termed to be '89 pre-ban. The l994 Clinton Gun Ban did away with evil features such as bayonet, bayonet lug, flash hider, cleaning rod, pistol grip and rifle stock. Those of us who are law abiding citizens could only shrug our shoulders at the idoicy and uselessness that these laws perpetrate. Politically, the Democrat Party has been hammered and in the election booth, they lost the White House. both Houses of Congress and numerous Governrships. All due to the assault on the Constitution and the most important 2nd Amendment which I believe is responsible for keeping this great Republic free going past two hundred years. No other country and government can make this claim and as a result, our U.S. Constitution and the10 Bill of Rights are the ENVY OF THE WORLD! This weekend, I will be in Phoenix to visit a Son who is going to school there. Good Day All and God Bless!

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

Lulu rules. She woke up early and wrote her usual drivel at 7:05 in the morning. That takes some extreme ignorance.

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure I've missed it, but what exactly is going on this weekend for the celebration?

Lulu 9 years, 7 months ago

I will be celebrating this joyous occasion with my children and their fathers. It is a wonderful thing that we've actually made it, that Lawrence and civilization made it these past 150 years. With the violence in this world and false war declared in Iraq, it is amzing we are still around to celebrate.

Lawrence thankfully told the Patriot Act to move on, and I applaud. It takes guts to stand up to the rich. We should be celebrating the 150 years with the biggest freedom party. Come November 2 we will be celebrating another wonderous freedom occasion, when Kerry/Edwards step into the white house. Regime change NOW!