Previous   Next

What did you do to remember the events of September 11th?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 12, 2004

Browse the archives

“No, I’ve thought about it, but I haven’t done any specific thing.”

“The Day of Caring for the United Way in Tulsa. Thousands volunteered in the community to help the disadvantaged.”

“No, I’m not going to do anything. Of course I’ve thought about it, but I don’t have anything planned.”

“I’m a Christian, and when I woke up I said some prayers. I just try to keep it in my mind so I don’t forget.”

Comments

Adam 9 years, 7 months ago

btw I read my second comment and it came off a little abrasive. I like to try to use this a forum for civil debate and exchange of ideas - not as a way to stir up an argument. I apologize for getting a little out of hand on that one.

Adam 9 years, 7 months ago

Larry - I hope to a certain extent that you are right and that Osama is dead somewhere, but that would be a shame, because we owe it to the families of the victims to capture him and give them peace of mind and a sliver of justice for what he has done.

mr_daniels 9 years, 7 months ago

I and mrs_daniel went about our day in a normal fashion knowing that our country is safe and in good hands with adults in charge and also knowing that the victims of 9/ll will not be forgotten and that those fine young men and women in our armed forces will not have died in vane and that our country remembers them and their families and we can count on them to do the job until it is completed. We also had a great Sunday afternoon beef barbacue! Bedtime!

hoof_hearted 9 years, 7 months ago

oh, and one more thing:

Dump Kerry

Larry 9 years, 7 months ago

Italianprincess - I agree with you. Of course the terrorist would like to attack again. They have been wanting to attack us for years and finally got away with it on American soil. In addition, they can see that we have people trying to divide our country by saying ridiculous things like MrCairo above. They know if they attack again, those who can't think for themselves and/or have a lack of common sense will view the attack as all Bush's fault. The media will be all over Bush if an attack occurs. The liberal left and the media claim that Bush pulled needed personal and supplies out of Afghanistan which hindered our ability to track down contributing individuals of the terrorist network. Finally, yesterdays KC Star offered an optimistic view of this war. Section A, page 11 provides information about who has been caught, killed or still missing within the known terrorist network. Of 165 individuals listed, 91 have been captured and only 18 have been killed. It amazes me that only 18 have been killed. That should prove that the American military is trying to conduct this war as humanely has possible, but our enemy is only after death of any and all Americans.

Adam- I believe that OBL is either critical ill or dead. He has too much of an ego to go this long without showing his face. Plus, for the first time ever, OBL's top aides are being pictured with guns in hand. That didn't happen in the past.

It amazes me that 9-11 occurred in Bush's first term and he gets the blame for it. The terrorist didn't plan and execute 9-11 in nine months. These terrorist were learning how to fly jets at American pilot schools during Clinton's term. Clinton and the ACLU was so concerned about individual foreign rights, that our intelligence agencies were ill equipped to do their job appropriately. Now the liberal left is more worried about the Patriot Act than they are defending and protecting American citizens from further attacks. Thank goodness that President Bush won't allow or depend on the UN to defend the citizens of the United States.

Enron and other cooperate greed scandals are exposed within the first 12-16 months of Bush's first term and he is at fault, when if fact, these criminals were doing all their dirty work during the Clinton administration. Bush takes office, soon they are exposed and he holds them accountable yet now it's his fault.

italianprincess 9 years, 7 months ago

I have this inner feeling ( not sure if anyone else does ) that another terrorist attack will happen again soon either prior to Nov or shortly after.

I truely don't think that we are as ready as they say we are, and we should be be watching everything around us daily.

Our homeland security isn't ready for another strike and they will strike when we least expect like they did on 911. Isn't Tom Ridge resigning soon because of the pressure that has been put on him? I think I heard that on the news, but if I'm wrong would someone please correct me.

My American flag flies daily outside my house and it always will but I for one am very worried that even though they say we are ready, we are not.

We will get hit again someday and I just want to say God Bless all of us as we live our days in wonder of what tomorrow will bring.

Wittmann 9 years, 7 months ago

Careful there, goatdog. You could probably be charged with something or other now that our homeland is more secure. Supporting hate-babies and homicide-toddlers is sure to get one noticed.

Redneckgal 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't think their is anyone who was alive and old enough to remember that day who will ever forget. You feel awful for the people who died and the people who lost family and the little kids who lost parents get to me the worst but you can't just dwell on it. Best thing you can do is just say a little prayer and go on.

JP 9 years, 7 months ago

rohdek, I agree with you. Like I said...No vast conspiracies. Yeah, it sucks that it happened but they can't just say it was somehow a plot from within. You can't blame everything on the current administration (regardless of party) because you don't like them. Unless there is some hard evidence to back it up (and NO Michael Moore's film does not qualify as such), it is dishonoring the fallen by turning it into some argument against a political party. It happened, it sucked, and we must remember it honorably. Imagine if someone in your family died and some joker got on a website and tried to turn it into a political event. Disgraceful.

JHAWKGURL 9 years, 7 months ago

I think Adam said it all........very well said. May God bless all of the fallen and bless those who are over seas right now. Stay safe and love one another. Do ONE thing each day to help another person, even if it is a smile to a stranger.

Kyle Rohde 9 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps you should consider that Bill Clinton got the same reports for 8 years and never did anything about it. Bin Laden didn't suddenly become an issue in the 8 months after President Bush took office. And besides that, its despicable for you to even incite that someone would be that power hungry and greedy. No President, no matter how much you disagree with his politics, would let something like that happen to our country on purpose. No one.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

I remembered the day by repeating over and over and over why would Bush allow such a thing to happen. With all the reports coming into his briefings daily why would he allow it.

Only one conclusion could be drawn: He allowed 9-11 to occur because he wanted to lay blame on Saddam so he'd have a reason to invade.

G.W. Bush should be tried for this treasonous act. His relationship with the Bin Laden Family and the Saudi Empire should be investigated. The public needs to know that G.W. Bush and the Bin Laden Family have been in business for years. Perhaps they are both reaping billions in profits off of this.

goatdog 9 years, 7 months ago

I gave money to an organisation that assists Palestinian orphans.

JP 9 years, 7 months ago

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary yesterday. Thought about it a lot, but I think we have to push on. It's not that hard to believe UBL hasn't been caught yet. He is well hidden over there. And I don't want to turn it in to a political debate, but I don't think there's some grand right-wing conspiracy to "find" him just before election time. Get off the grassy knoll and get on with your life. I'm sorry it can't be more interesting, dramatic, and conspiratorial for you.

God Bless you all.

Funnybone 9 years, 7 months ago

I cried when I heard the new on the radio on NPR on the way home from work yesterday morning. All I could remember was the horrible feeling knowing that I had a family member that could very easily have died in those towers if they hadn't scheduled the meeting for a later time that unfortunate day. I don't know if I cried for joy or sheer relief of my uncle being alive and well, but I know I cried for the families that weren't so lucky. May God bless each and every one of us. We should treasure each day like it is the last. Take care and be safe.

Wittmann 9 years, 7 months ago

I didn't do anything but as I was at the light at 43rd and Main here in KC I saw a lady at the corner holding a large sign that read: "STOP THE 9-11 COVER-UP". Was happy to see this but I wondered where she was coming from so I honked and yelled "Bomb Tel Aviv!" at her and she gave a thumb up at that lol it made my day. Another guy honked for her but most people were just staring straight ahead like they didn't see or didn't care. I think think the panhandlers around here have kind of desensitized a lot of drivers to anything going on at the side of the street haha there's always a couple near southwest trafficway and westport rd intersection.

Adam 9 years, 7 months ago

and another thing, It seems illogical to me that in three years we could not capture Bin Laden. How is it that the most wanted man in the entire world could not be captured in an area the size of Texas in three years time. I would not be the least bit suprised to see him mysteriously be "captured" in the upcoming months prior to the election, don't be fooled if this happens, because it should have happened three years ago.

Adam 9 years, 7 months ago

We should do nothing to remember the attacks of 911. Let us keep the memories of the fallen close at heart, but we must overcome the psychological effects of this horrible day, and get back to the business of being americans. I have spoken to many people and they seem to feel that the world has changed and can never be the same as it was proior to 911. They feel that our economy can't rebound from these events and that we are condemned to a substandard quality of life because of them. Why? The entire history of our country is centered upon perservering against impossible odds. We will overcome this new threat as we have overcome every obstacle in our way. We must overcome the threats that our involvement in the outside world has created. I am so sick of hearing about how we are under and "orange alert". Our country has been a target for terroris for years, it is only now, after a huge attack, that we recognize the threat. I believe that our presence in the middle east to "fight the war on terror" is doing nothing more than provoke further attacks, and doing nothing to protect the citizens on the homefront. We must take stronger measures on the domestic front to closely monitor the entrance of foreign persons into our country and increase our security and intelligence gathering ability to effectively reduce the possibility of further terrorist attacks.