Previous   Next

Have you watched, or do you plan to watch any of the Republican National Convention?

Asked at Tennessee Street on September 3, 2004

Browse the archives

“I haven’t, and I don’t plan to. It will probably just be the same things they always say, but it’s amusing to watch the hippies get arrested.”

“I think conventions are just hours of hopeful abstractions. I don’t want to watch the figureheads spout hope in lieu of progress.”

“I really want to watch some of it to find out what’s going on, but I’m going to be out of town for the rest of it.”

“Yes, the major message seems to be that there is too much going on in the world right now to switch administrations. I expect his nomination speech to be a resolution for the next four years.”

Comments

YoungGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

All I've seen from Kerry is that he would rather have all the companies stay inside the U.S. to do business than go out and make profit selling to other countries... interesting, and why is he just out to bring up Bush's past that really doesn't have much to do with this election? Yes he loves the country, but he doesn't seem to care about any other country on this Planet. Plus I have not seem one good arguement of why people don't like Bush. Sure he got us in this war, but if he didn't and for some reason Saddam pulled some weapons from some other country he had been storing them and blows up New York. Then we could be mad and say, "Bush had the chance to stop this and he didn't." Though that didn't happen, he stopped even the chance of that. This "war" will go on for a a while no matter who is elected. Iraq just isn't near stable enough to be left to fend on it's own. Kerry saying that he will stop this "war" and bring everyone home as soon as he can is either saying that he will just pull all of the Americans out and leave Iraq to slowly kill themselves, or he just doesn't realize what is really going on over there. If any of you Kerry lovers out there want to give me some good reasons that you aren't voting for Bush then I would love to hear them.

Larry 9 years, 7 months ago

Last time I checked, the liberal left accounted for more than 80% of all 527's. Be sure your facts are straight about which side is actually misinforming the nation about his opponent. Bush is also the only one to recognize his opponent as having served honorably. When Kerry refuses to do the same to Bush, he not only minimizes Bush service to the National Guard, but he also minimizes EVERY man/woman's service to the National Guard. Kerry is too stupid to realize this and continues to go after Bush. I can't think of any past election where a candidate has shot himself in the foot so many times and will actually cost himself the election. The man just isn't very smart. Maybe that explains the C- average in college with no post graduate degree. His undergraduate GPA was too low to get him into grad school!

hoof_hearted 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't get it. Kerry wins the Dem Presidential candidacy. So why the long face?

Dump Kerry.

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

davidryan.... Its ok to have a little fear... look... Im a republican and I dont want to see road block checkpoints every two miles either. Unfortunately we cant turn back the clock and someone had to go after the culprits of the nine eleven attacks. Wouldnt you agree that even if we didnt attack a country or rather just attacked isolated goups the terrorist problem would still persist in the world today? Would we still not be in the same level of danger? I think its unfair to blame bush for the attacks. I would think it ludicrous to think that his first year in office inspired the enemy to attack us. The attack probably was in planning for a few years, which hence, means the attack against us was initially planned during the Clinton Administration. Is Clinton to blame? I dont think so either. The root of the problem is most likely not oil but rather a deep seeded hatred by other Arab states that are opposed to Isreali policy in General and the United States support of Isreal. Look... the dont call it the Holy Land for nothing and Im sure several groups would take claim to that land if they had any real chance of success and probably by force. What has Isreal done to deserve a bus being blown to bits every other week? Wasnt it the UN who declared Isreal a sovereign nation several decades ago? Many scholars would agree that the land does indeed belong to them all the way back through the line to King David several hundred years ago, and the temple that was contructed in God's Honor in the City of Jerusalem by the Jewish people. Anyways....Is is possible that any retrubution for the attacks other that all out war here would have produced a different outcome? In reality its just all conjecture now....isnt it. We must face the current situation, deal with it and hopefully we will come out on top in the end leading the world with a new hope and a better tomorrow even with Bush in the Oval Office.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Larry: Excellent! Welcome to it. Been missing seeing your posts since the registration went on.

Gotta have a nemesis, ya know!

}B-)>

davidryan 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes. By all means. Vote republican if the message you want to send to America's youth is that you can lie and cheat to get ahead.

If you've got nothing positive to say about yourself, outright lie about your opponent.

If you can't run on your record because it's a record of broken promises and failures, tear at your opponent.

Those are your mainstream republican values, from the top right down, on display at the convention.

Don't take my word for it. Check the facts about Cheney and Zell Miller's and the others' outright mischaracterizations of Kerry and his record.

Feel free to vote Republican. Just keep in mind that right now, there are more people in the world who will murder you simply because you are an American, republican or democrat, than there were before George Bush started an elective war on based on cooked up intelligence he should've had the experience and wisdom to question. (Perhaps had he or any of his crowd actually had the dignity and honor to fight in a war, like John Kerry did, he would've had such experience and wisdom. He avoided fighting in a war.) He did not and does not have either the experience or the wisdom, and as a result there are now more fundamentalists who would kill you or your family than there were before.

That's just simply a fact.

And he calls America safer. It's safer only in his mind -- the same mind that believed Iraqis would welcome Americans with cheers and flowers in the streets.

Vote based on Bush's record. And if you can demonstrate with facts that the country and its citizens are better off than they were four years ago, even better.

At least then your vote will be based on thought, and not on foggy irresponsible "feelings."

Larry 9 years, 7 months ago

Sorry Hi_Jinks, not Hi_Jacks. Man - that would be a bad ID name to have in America. Sorry about that!

Where are the rest of the regulars?

Larry 9 years, 7 months ago

Hold on Savage, Don't bring God into the picture here. You'll have all the liberals crying foul. I even came across a liberal website (linked to USA Today), that had a picture of Bush with long hair and facial hair in a depiction of Jesus. It even had Son of Man under his picture. UNBELIEVEABLE! Then I receive a sarcastic email regarding the RNC agenda and it was cracking fun of the republicans taking time to PRAY! Does that not tell you something about Kerry and his cronies as well as the leaders of the democratic party. I'm not saying all democrats are athist as I know many that are good Christians. Why are they democrats-I have no idea? Kerry scares the heck out of me. In all honesty Savage -praise God all you want. I'm right there with you!

Hi_Jacks - Yes - I agree that every politician has some back deals but I'm just not a believer that Bush has many that hurt Americans. He may say, you scratch my back here, I'll scratch yours there, but I truly believe that Bush has a big heart and wants to make America as strong as he possibly can. As for Kerry, I think I would vote for Gore before Kerry and I couldn't stand Gore.

Where have I been? BUSY-BUSY-BUSY WITH WORK. I'm getting hammered right now which is a good thing.

Savage 9 years, 7 months ago

well well well... Time Magazine reported today (link at drudgereport.com) the bush camp has gained a double digit lead today.

Anyways lets hope people in florida will have a home to return to next week. Unreal isnt it?

Also in Russia today hundreds of children were killed and woulded by terrorists affiliated with Bin-Laden. The pictures were perhaps the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life besides nine eleven. May God receive their souls in heaven today, where instead they will shed tears of joy.

peace.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

Larry, first off....where you been stranger? You haven't had too many posts here lately! I thought maybe something terrible happened to you!! Thank God you're alright!! Secondly....Larry, I'm a Republican. That has some significance/relevance with regards to what I'm about to say......EVERY POLITICIAN, PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE KISSES BUTT AND MAKES SHADY BACKDOOR DEALS AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER OVER THE COURSE OF THEIR CAREER!! EVERY ONE OF THEM DOES!! This year alone, we've had two governors resign because of shady backdoor deals. One was a Republican (John Rowland of Connecticut) and one was a Democrat (James McGreevey of New Jersey).---And in the case of McGreevey, it would appear, from what I have read, that he made some "backdoor deals" with another man LITERALLY, as well as figuratively speaking---if you catch my drift!!

Hey! Hey! Hey, now!! Don't anyone reading this post right now try and accuse me of being a "gay basher" or something!! I'm just simply repeating what I've been told!!---Don't shoot the messenger!!

Anyway.....Larry, you can't possibly be that naive, can you?? I hope Bush wins in November just like you---because in my mind, he is the more appealing of all the choices that are out there. But even I, a Republican, know and will admit that Bush has skeletons in his closet!!--And he surely isn't the only politician either!! Democrat or Republican!!!

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

............Hold still, "nicegirl"...............

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

I'll give you an "urban legend" !!!

Larry 9 years, 7 months ago

Merrill - the liberals have spent 75-80% of all money involved in 527's. School finance is at an all-time high and health care will always be a major problem until we have tort reform. Hillary sure did solve the problem, didn't she? That was her main job and promise at the beginning of Bill's term, yet after eight years, we had NOTHING! Good grief, she had eight years and my family insurance premiums went up $250.00 a month. In addition, public schools were not held accountable for educating anyone. Gore was sited in his home state for environmental violations by his own company, which explains why his HOME state cost him the election. You people are stuck on the Florida count and seem to forget that Gore's own state cost him the election. Overtime pay is NOT history. Get your story straight and quit using scare tactics. Medicare did not take a hit! In fact, my own father will benefit from saving $30 a month or $360.00 a year. Not bad! ME - you're sad. Go to Belarus and live for a year or two so you can find out just how lucky you have it here in the US. Bush promised numerous things that he followed through on, including school reform, tax relief, help to small business owners, increased home ownership, support of late term abortion laws, protecting Americans first, etc, etc.

Mr.Cairo -Pay Attention! Class is in session. You democrats are the agenda flippers. Why can't you admit it. Get over the 2000 election and come to your senses. Hi_Jinks- Buttkissing? Backdoor Promises? Good grief, that sounds like "say what they want to hear" Kerry. Bush takes a stand to protect Americans, fully understanding that it isn't the most popular stance. He sticks with it regardless as to whether it is popular or not. I'll vote for a president who takes a stand -period. At least we all know where Bush is coming from.

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi_Jinks: Are you logging in under multiple monikers? I think I recognize your style "Mr. Simmons". Besides, I thought human tripods were just an urban legend. Who knew they were real?

Mister_Richard_Simmons 9 years, 7 months ago

Hey! Hey! Hey!

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh!

Yooh-hooh, big boy!! Over here!

Here I am...the one in the striped hot pants!!!

Yeah, that's me alright!!!

Can I PLEASE BE A PART OF YOUR CAMPAIGN WHEN AND IF IT HAPPENS, Mr. Hi_Jinks?? HUH? PLEASE?! PLEASE?! PLEASE?! WOULD YOU PLEASE KEEP ME IN MIND??!! OH, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I LOVE YOU! YOU'RE A WONDERFUL MAN! YOU REALLY, REALLY ARE!! I COULD JUST REACH RIGHT THROUGH THIS COMPUTER SCREEN AND KISS YOU, YOU'RE SO WONDERFUL!!!!!

Hmm...."human tripod"....Oh, my word!!..........I positively get goose-bumps all over my body every time I think of that name!!! (And I think of it a lot, you know!!)

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

It's a done deal, (nice)girlfriend!! You got it!!

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

If you ever run Hi_Jinks, make sure I receive a memo on your ad campaigns and rallys. I'll make the posters. Or wear a button or something.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

Well, good for you, nicegirl!! Someday, if I ever run for office, I'll put together "one heck of an ad"....just for a girl like you!! And I'll make sure that you see ENOUGH OF ME on camera, that you'll have no doubt in your mind, whatsoever, why it is that those who know me REALLY, REALLY WELL, affectionately refer to me as "High_Jinks, the human tripod"!!!

Boy!! Talk about your "typical eye candy"!!

---Typical eye candy my butt!! More like a "king size Snickers bar!!--Packed with nuts!!

You'll love it, nicegirl! Heck, depending upon your point of view, you might even be more scared than turned-on by what you see??!! Who knows??!!--But, I'll let you (and everyone else) be the judge!! Okay?? God bless! And have a wonderful holiday weekend, nicegirl!!

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Guess I missed that ad. Damn shame. I knew there was a reason I only watched the Daily Show and Cartoon Network.

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't know Hi Jinks, I'm a girl and he definitely swayed my vote with his overwhelming manliness.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

Jonas, with regards to my last post.....Here's a "vignette" for you......And I think it's rather pertinent to our discussion.....

Recently I saw on TV a Kris Kobach ad. As you hear the voice-over state/claim why Kris Kobach is so "eminently qualified" to be a congressman, you see Kobach "hard at work" rowing a boat on the water somewhere---and not by accident or coincidence, you can't help but see his rather impressive pair biceps/triceps. (Or perhaps I should say rather impressive pair of "guns"!!) And I suppose this was a way to impress the female voters? I don't know. But anyway, it was, in reality, nothing more than a "30 second fluff-piece" for most viewers/voters with an IQ over 50!! If you've seen the ad, I'm sure you'll agree!! Now, what a complete wast of money that ad was!! I'm sure it cost many thousands of dollars to make/produce---and for what?? So that the rest of us "mere mortals" can now know for sure just exactly how big Kris Kobachs arms are?? I wonder how many fannies Kobach had to kiss so as to be able to afford that "very informative commercial"??!!---And for that matter, I wonder how many more fannies he'll have to kiss(and how many more backdoor promises/deals he'll have to make) in order to afford to make more commercials that will, no doubt, "treat" (Inform?) us voters about who he is and why he should be elected to congress!! I'd just assume vote for an old man in a wheelchair whose views I happen to agree with, before I ever vote for someone like Kris Kobach and his "healthy good-looks"! My point...Millions of dollars being raised (Hustled?) for silly/expensive "fluff ads"??!!--What a complete waste of time, effort and money as far as Kobach SHOULD BE CONCERNED!! And what an insult/travesty as far as us voters are concerned!! Ironically (from where Kobach stands), that ad of his is reason enough NOT TO VOTE FOR HIM!! It would be a whole lot less costly for him, and a whole lot less insulting to the rest of us, if he would just try like hell to get his face on the news (papers, TV)and just simply TELL/INFORM us of just exactly who he is and why the people in his district should vote for him!! Note to Kobach.... Save your "hard earned money" Kobach!! If you really have the public's best interests at heart....Then do us all a favor and don't sell your soul to some huge corporation just so that you and your election campaign can afford the, no doubt, big bucks that it costs to show us your huge "pecs and guns" on TV!!!

me 9 years, 7 months ago

Big guy, I see your bite me and I raise you a kiss my butt. : ) I mean that with the utmost respect. I don't find you grating, btw, but I'm glad to know that you do me. I like having a lasting effect on people. As far as hating politicians go, I can't really help it. When was the last time any of you believed anything any of them have to say? When was the last time you listened to a political speech, how they go on and on about what they're going to do for their country and their constituents and honestly felt hope in your heart? It hasn't been in my life time. I'm 31 years old and in watching the way politics and politicans work for the past 15 years, it has made me dejected and sad. I think the political system is a joke, made up of greedy, power hungry scum on both sides of the fence and pretty much everywhere in between. I watch and read, listen and learn, so it's not like I'm uninformed, either. Just not convinced. I watched some of the RNC and the DNC and I think if all those people don't stop stroking themselves they're going to get blisters.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

It's precisely the republicans belief in absolute truth (or more specifically, their belief that they KNOW that truth) that prohibits me from voting for them.

laser_gun 9 years, 7 months ago

When democrats look at reality they are afraid. That is why they accuse and delittle. Republicans face the issues and don't hide their head in the sand. For Repulicans there is absolute truth for democrats there is relative truth. We must face challenges, we must realize our power and prestigue in the world and use it effectively. With authority comes responsibility. Ask John Kerry why he published a book with an upside down flag on the cover after Vietnam. Now that is a fact that the democrats can't spin away.

BigGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

Re: Me

Bite me (and I mean this in the most loving way of course). You have your way of stating opinions and I have mine. I find you just as grating as you do me. Though I do agree with you on the point that a good paying job is hard to find in this town. Unfortunately many jobs are geared for college students that will work for less pay than someone with a family and bills.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Yes, I agree completely, and was disagreeing with "me" on an unrelated matter. I hope you have a solution, or at least a workable one. The only solution I see is for the American public at large to actually work on informing themselves, and digging deeper than the mainstream media or high-profile political pundits. I'm an admitted cynic, but I can't see how anyone would think that could happen. The way it is, it's entertainment more than politics, and largely disgusts me.

Well, two solutions. The other one is for the partisans to drop their arrogance and actually start listening to each other, not just talking at each other. I don't know which is more unlikely. Still, I feel the obligation to speak out against partisan politics and empty rhetoric, which is most of what this campaign on both sides has been composed of, to my eyes.

Did you know that one of the major reasons the founding fathers initiated the electoral college in the first place was to curtail or minimize campaigning for the position? It was considered "ungentlemanly" to seek the position out. I guess it was assumed that if you were worthy, the position would come to you.

I think that all politicians should be limited to one term, and that term should not be lengthened to compensate for the limitation.

me 9 years, 7 months ago

Jonas, of course I work out of Lawrence. Didn't we just have this big conversation about how people can't make money in Lawrence. I used to love this town. I can remember "running the streets" (as my folks called it) of this town 20 years ago. It's changed. Or maybe I have. What I used to consider endearing and quirky is now just loud and annoying. Ahh what age will do to you. Oh and Big Guy you need to lighten up and stop taking everything that everyone says/types so literally. My mother does that crap and I hate it. It' s annoying.

BigGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

This is a bit of subject but I just heard on the news that Bill Clinton is being admitted to Columbia University Hospital for quadruple bypass surgery.

craigers 9 years, 7 months ago

Have people not noticed that it is the same every election, taxes, healthcare, and many more things. Bush speaks about Sept 11, the war on terror, and what has happened for one reason, because he was the leader when the country went through this stuff and is still going through this war on terror. Of course the democratic convention was full of hope, you can always be hopeful when you haven't done anything yet. The healthcare issues that democrats and republicans have spoke about are the same problems that have existed for many years. Nobody that has promised they would revolutionize the healthcare industry and make available to everybody has done that. Why? Because it is impossible to do without having the working class being taxed close to 40% of their income. Gee, that is fair. Kerry won't be able to fix the healthcare problem because you can't just make things affordable and available for everybody that easily. It takes a lot of money and tax increases. Nothing is for free.

And for the comments about "winning the war on terror," give Bush a break. He is the only one talking some sense. It can't be won. When something is won, it is over with and the problem is gone. But terrorism is never gone. It is almost like somebody saying that they are going to win the war on crime and get rid of it. It is not possible, especially with our theories of relativism that people believe in so much.

Vote for Bush in November people!

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

"BigGuy"/Jonas.........

I'm sure you'll agree with Me's MAIN POINT that when it takes millions and millions and millions of dollars to run a political campaign (be it presidential, senatorial, congressional, or govenor)---something is definitely wrong with that picture!!! The election process has long since become something of a "sport"--and an expensive sport at that!! It shouldn't take well over a hundred million dollars to run for president, but it does!! And to raise that kind of money means extensive travel, AND A WHOLE LOT OF BUTTKISSING AND BACKDOOR PROMISES TO THOSE IN HIGH PLACES!! And "me" is right! Both sides of the aisle do ,in fact, do it!! The process involved in getting re-elected to office during that final year in his or her's term in office means that a politician can't possible devote all (or even most) of his or her time to doing the sorts of things he or she was elected to do!! What a shame!! We, the public, all lose, and are seriously short-changed when that happens. And it happens all of the time. Why am I saying all of this?? Because I understand "me's" frustration. And that's what it is..."frustration"!! I feel it too!! A lot!! So, if I may say, to one and all..... Let's not let this "debate" sink to a level of "hey, my life is just as important and meaningful as yours is, and for your information, I'm not stupid either", kind of thing!! I bet all of us here on this post have a lot more in common than we might think, or give ourselves credit for. The system's broke--and only we (all of us) can fix it!!---And as far as "fixing the system" goes....The "how" part of the equation isn't nearly as difficult to do as some people would suggest...It's the "when" part of the equation that needs critical attention, first and foremost!!

P.S. Jonas, you understand (Agree?), don't you? I promise in my next post, I'll offer up some of my ideas on how to "fix" the system!! Stay tuned!!

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

Do you mean it is "beyond AN intelligent person's comprehension"? Are you really so dense as to say an intelligent person can't vote for Bush?

I'm voting for Bush for many reasons, the primary ones being his positions on social issues (perhaps that makes me unintelligent). I also want the tax cut to be permanent - and he cut income taxes for everyone who pays them - rich or poor.

Regarding Iraq, he made the decision based on the best intelligence available (from several countries). Clearly it was faulty in some respects, but what was he supposed to do? Hussein had clear ties to terrorists (as documented in the 9-11 Commission Report), even if he wasn't associated with 9-11. Given the events of 9-11, and Bush's job of protecting this country, how could he choose not to act pre-emptively in the case of Iraq. Had he not acted, and another attack ensued in which Iraq was involved (which seems perfectly reasonable), he would have been railed to no end, and rightly so.

In the end, Bush is genuine and authentic - that was clear last night. No one delivers on every promise, especially politicians. Both campaigns are comprised of statements that will never come to fruition. That's just the way it is. But I think Bush's intents and purposes are strong, and I also think his clear convictions make for a stable leader.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Me: If you think you could do any of those without the irritating student invasion, you must work out of lawrence. This town would die if it wasn't for the university. Rather, it would never have blossomed in the first place.

Mr. Cairo: While Bush, and some of his supporters demonstrate flaws in the republican party, responses like yours very clearly demonstrate the flaws in their democrat counterparts. Nothing he said in his speech, save for some mild spin on Kerry's voting record, deserved that level of "disgust." Being unable to see any right is no better than seeing no wrong.

mdecoste 9 years, 7 months ago

I watched them both conventions, and I feel that the Democrats did a better job of talking about the real issues. The Republicans played the sympathy card with all the 9-11 rhetoric, and their emphasis on the "War on Terror". That way they don't separate the difference in attacking Afghanistan from attacking Iraq.

I also watched C-SPAN 1 and 2 , and at one point they had both of Bush's speeches (1999 and last night) on at the same time. I switched the stations back and forth, and could not tell the difference in the speeches accept for the color of his tie. In other words, he promised the same things last time, and this time he promised the same things because he didn't do anything accept promote war and give the rich a tax break in his last term.

Why would anyone would want to re-elect Bush is beyond in intelligent person's comprehension.

BigGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

Re: Me

For your information I too am an adult, married with a child who also works full time to support my family. In addition to our jobs, we are also starting up our own business. So don't tell me what it's like to be an adult with responibility. I was simply making a point that it's stupid to hate anyone or everyone that is a politician. Maybe that went over your head.......

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

Speaking of "full of hate".....Whoa.

At least you sound objective though.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

I was feeling a little sick and needed something do push me over the edge so I could barf. Watching G.W. Bush read the teleprompter and fumble on simple words did the trick. I hurled chunks onto a printed piece of paper with his image on it as it lay in the toilet. Then I smiled and felt better when I flushed.

It was glorious.

Truth be told, I watched both. The Democratic Convention was full of hope - The Republican Convention was full of hate and half-truths. Take your pick.

me 9 years, 7 months ago

I hate the Jayhawk already. It wouldn't matter if he ran for office. Believe it or not, there are some people who live in and around Lawrence that couldn't give a rat's a** about that stupid Jayhawk or KU. I know it's hard for you to grasp, but it's true. Some of us adults that are trying to work, earn money, raise our kids and feed our families just find the whole yearly student invasion more of an annoyance than anything.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

Hey, "Rob" (Mr. LJ World representative), nice going!! You guys should have asked this question a few days ago.---Instead of that cheese question! Yeah, I know!.... Better late than never, right? Anyway...I agree with "me" (well, for the most part). There is no question, that at the very least, the whole last year of ANY president's first term in office is spent focusing a great deal of his time and effort on his re-election campaign. Say what you want about Dick Morris' character, but he said it best a while back, when he said that for any president, the re-election process during the final year of any presidents first term becomes "all consuming" ! It becomes extremely difficult for any president to devote even close to 100% effort with any other cause or agenda during that final year of his first term. So, in fact, when you vote for someone to be president for the next four years (who's running for the first time, like Kerry)...you are in fact only voting for him (or her) to be your president for the next THREE years. Because that fourth year is a wasted year!!! Should that person get re-elected...well, now you're talking about a FULL four year term in office!

P.S. Yes, I watched the Republican Convention. Pretty much what I expected!!---Although, I must say, I got a real kick out of Zell Miller's "fire and brimstone" speech!! Did anyone else see/hear that particular speech?? Man!! "Pastor Miller" was all fired up that night, wasn't he??!!

P.P.S. I see (more and more) that the LJ World is asking "the question of the day" away from Mass. St.!!! I don't care what anyone else says about the "eclectic mix" of Mass. St. I still think that it's good for the LJ World to branch out and ask questions in other parts of town! I like that! Bravo!

YoungGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

I never remember Bush saying he pre-planned all of those ideas.... interesting....

BigGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

Well, since some of you have such a low opinion of the electin process and the politicians that run for office, I am curious to see your proposal to improve things. As for "me" making a blanket statement of hating all politicians, that is just crass. So, if I ran for office, would you hate me or would you hate yourself if you ran? What about The Jayhawk? Would you hate him if he ran?

me 9 years, 7 months ago

The morons always spend the 1st four years trying to get elected for the 2nd 4 years. They all do it, they can't deny it. That's why we should switch to a one 6 year term presidency. That way they can actually focus on what they're doing not whether or not they're doing well in the polls. I hate politicians. Man, they tick me off every day. And that's not a rep. vs. dem. thing. They're all a bunch of a**holes. Have a nice day people. :)

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

I don't understand, merrill. Why do you hate America so much?

Richard Heckler 9 years, 7 months ago

The presidents speech sounds like the 2000 agenda that he has had four years with a republican house and senate to accomplish and did not. Do we need another four years of the war machine taking precedent over the other VERY important issues?

Meanwhile he has made more of a mockery than ever of campaign finance thus it's still a problem. Jobs, affordable health care and public school finance certainly did not gain much ground.

The resources,money and lives, for the war on terror went instead to Iraq where the Taliban/Al Qadea and weapons of mass destructive were not.

Benefits for veterans were reduced and the middle class received a tax increase. Protections for our air,water and national forests took a hit.

According to Science Friday the money spent on the Iraq war could have developed a new industry in alternative sources of energy thus reducing our need for foreign oil. This would have been an excellent new source for probaly several hundred thousand to one million new jobs. Instead the president cut millions off of overtime time...yes overtime pay is now history.

Also medicare/medicad benefits took a hit as well.

Had George Bush informed the voters during his 1999 campaign that he had a war plan against Iraq ready and waiting,that overtime pay would be history,that veterans benfits would be reduced, that combat pay would be reduced, that he really did not want to invest much in reducing our need for oil and that he actually was going to raise taxes on the middle class, that he didn't want to spend much time on affordable health care and he was going to waste a lot of time on gay marriage it is likely he would not be president today.