Previous   Next

Do you think the job market is on the rebound in Kansas?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 2, 2004

Browse the archives

“No, I’m from Manhattan, and a lot of people are retiring, but nothing new is coming into town.”

“No! The national poverty rate has gone up for the third straight year, thanks to Bush, and Kansas is not immune.”

“I’ve worked at a small business, and business is booming, so I would say it’s pretty good.”

“I think it is. It’s growing leaps and bounds in my neck of the woods.”

Comments

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

Rather late, but. . .

Mr. Daniels: What the happy hell are you talking about? "When the socialists are in charge, only the socialists have jobs?" What kind of tripe is that? Can you support that claim somehow? First, please define who the socialists are. Then kindly explain when, in the last 100 years, only the socialists have had jobs.

nicegirl 9 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Orginial Bob up above. Why is it that everyone assumes they are underpaid. Regardless of your education level, did it ever occur to you that you are being paid what you are worth to the employer? Besides, someone who is making $22.50/hr really isn't in a position to complain too much. You make far more than the national average for most occupations. My husband is a law enforcement officer and he makes less than that. He is underpaid considering he has to carry a gun, wear life protecting equiptment and deal with loony people who are unpredictable. I realize that he chose the career that he is in and is free to change if unsatisfied with the pay, I am simply using it as a job that is underpaid for the risk that they take on a daily basis. I'm sure you $22.50/he is a relatively safe desk job. Unless of course your complaining causes some disgruntled co-workers, then maybe it's not so safe....

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 7 months ago

I agree with what BigGuy stated above. So..... Bushwhacked, until you land that "high-paying dream job" of yours,.......I guess I'll be seeing you at the local Mickey D's!!! BTW, yes, I would like fries with that!! And don't forget to throw in some napkins and a straw, too!!--And please, when I ask you for few ketchups and mustards, don't give me 17 little packages of ketchup and only 1 little package of mustard!!!!--Or 15 peppers and no salts!! Okay??

BigGuy 9 years, 7 months ago

Re: Bushwhacked

Are you saying that you have been unemployed for 3 long years and that it is Bush's fault?? Talk about not taking responsibilty for ones own life. I know people that make the same claims as you. " I can't find a job, no one is hiring, it's all Bush's fault". Grow up. Maybe you can't find your ideal sit on your ass and get paid a ton of money job but take what you can get. I just found a new job a while back and it really didn't take long. Instead of complaining take any job you can find, even if it's fast food or whatever until something else comes up. Start taking responsibility for your own actions. Maybe you can't change the fact that you lost your job but you can change how it affects you and your actions.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Cairo takes down $22.50 an hour. In Overland Park.

And, I'm underpaid at that.

How I'd love to get a real job in this town.

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

what the hell are ku alumni hanging around lawrence for when they can go elsewhere to find a job, using that masters degree? instead they hang in town unable to get a job with the university, so they settle for fast food instead.

if k.u. would invest our taxdollars they get into lawrence instead of starting new projects in other cities, then possibly mrcairo could get a job here, other than some fast food joint making $9 bucks an hour. what a pity that someone with a masters degree has to steal a job from a high school punk, out of pure selfishness, because they love the avante garde lifestyle lawrence so professes - and they don't want to grow up.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

Exactly Mr. Ultimate, Why can't people take be responsible for themselves and their own actions?

But more to the point, and this goes for both sides of the issue, you can't use personal testimonials and then expound on them to claim all of Kansas' job market either is or is not on the rebound.

The data supports the fact that it is on the rebound. Now, of course, people like Bushwacked will argue that these aren't the same jobs that people had in the 90s.

First off, the 90s are looking more and more like it was a false economy. Lots of people got rich quick and when the market sank (which was happening prior to Bush taking office), these people did not have the requisite skills to find jobs of equal salary.

Secondly, and this comes up a lot on this board, what gives you the right to think you deserve a high paying job?!?!?! Go out and earn it. If you can't find it in Lawrence, well, you just might have to move somewhere else. Quit blaming govenment for all your problems.

One more thing, the only way Kerry will create 10 million more jobs (just another headline lie thrown out there), will be by doing another TVA type project. You'll be lucky if 20% of those type of jobs pay more than $12 an hour.

mrcairo 9 years, 7 months ago

The job situation in this country is terrible. People with masters degrees working for $9.00 an hour. What the hell is that?

Investors base investment decisions on their belief in an administration. It was clear to most that when the current administration took control of the country that things were going to get bad, so they bailed.

When Kerry is Elected, watch the conomy and job market soar. The biggest laugh I've ever had was listening to a Republican tell me that the booming economy in the 90's was due to Bush Number One and that the collapse was due to Clinton. Jesus H. Christ I've heard it all now.

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

And somehow you are absolutely sure that the loss of those "thriving 90's" jobs is the fault of the President, and not the fault of the individuals, investors, and decision makers in those businesses?

bushwacked 9 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely not. Let's get some things straight. First, the unemployment percentages are false. Those numbers are derived from unemployment claims that have been filed. Unemployment compensation was exhausted a long time ago for most that have lost their jobs due to downsizing and outsoucing under this Bush administration and their failed policies. The jobs being created pay much less than the jobs that were lost. I know this for a fact. I spend hours every day looking for employment ever since I was "Bushwacked" about 3 years ago. I've been to numerous offices full of individuals who thrived in the 90's with professional good paying jobs now competing for a 12 dollar an hour warehouse job while living off of credit cards and cashed in 401-K's hoping to survive through this Bush nightmare for just a few more months without having to file for bankruptsy. So do I think that the job market is on the rebound in Kansas? My answer is NO. It's still going downhill.

mr_daniels 9 years, 7 months ago

Why is it that when socialists are in charge, only socialists have jobs? Kerry's idea of creating 10 million jobs is ludicrous and reeks from progressive socialist communism! Destroying Capitalism in the United States will invite a tyranny never before seen in History. Children of the Left, only you will allow the lessons of History to be forgotten! My vote for W is going to stop you dead in your tracks!!

ultimate175 9 years, 7 months ago

I started working for a new company a few months ago, and we're hiring about 30 people a month due to growth. From my point of view, the economy is rebounding well.

Anyone can slice the economy up to make it look how they want. There are just too many measures, and it's too easy to leave out details that would put certain statistics in context. I do agree that the President has much less control over the economy than is popularly thought. Blaming Bush for this economy (is it really that bad?) is like giving credit to Clinton for the 90's economy (IMHO, he just happened to be the Pres. during an explosion of online ingenuity. Had that explosion happened 5 years earlier, Bush 1 would have been the benefactor.......5 years later and Bush 2 would have benefitted. As it was Clinton got the gift, and that's fine).

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 7 months ago

Lulu's post....

"It's the economy stupid! This economy is in the worst shape since the great depression."

This is just ignorance. You can't throw out statements like this without any proof that it is remotely true, which it isn't. I agree with Luncacy. Democrats just throw stuff up and hope it sticks. Republicans will at least tell a well-orchestrated lie instead of a catchphrase that sounds good in newspaper headlines.

My favorite line though has to be, "When my babies fathers can't find work." How many babies' fathers are there? Surely one of them can find a job. If not, maybe they can get together and start their own business on how to teach men how to evade child support payments by claiming perpetual unemployment and remaining on welfare payrolls.

laser_gun 9 years, 7 months ago

Of course the President has very little to do with job loss or creation. I talked this weekend to my father about his father's experiences during the great depression. This generation of Americans has no concept of the sacrifices that were made to fight for freedom around the world. While traumatic, the financial losses due to the events of September 11th in no way compare to the years of hardship we have endured in the past. Our quick recovery is testament to our strength. There are more things right about this country and its economy than there are things that are wrong, but you won't hear that from a democrat. Thankfully, we have a leader with a positive vision for the future and the determination to do what is right whether or not that is popular.

lunacydetector 9 years, 7 months ago

hey lulu, why don't you tell kerry to have his billionaire wife of heinz foods inheritance, to stop outsourcing jobs to overseas?

as for the fast food jobs, why this is the same tripe clinton ran on way back when. and if you think our economy is in the worst shape since the great depression, show me the millions of people waiting in line at the soup kitchen. ain't gonna happen.

your kind of mentality is why i think the democratic party has lost touch.

i am a democrat voting for Bush.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

"It's the economy, stupid," is one of the, IMO, stupidest phrases in common knowledge or use, as the economy is the one issue that the president has very little control over. And if you think Kerry and Edwards have a plan, other than "repealling tax cuts for the rich" which will NOT create new jobs, perhaps you could tell me what it is.

I agree that Bush's claims are preposterous, but before you blame our President, perhaps you should think about how much blame rests on "Your babies fathers" in their own inability to find work. It's been my experience that in any economy the same people will always find jobs, and the same people will never find jobs..

Lulu 9 years, 7 months ago

This country has seen too many jobs outsourced to other countries like India. When my babies fathers can't find work, I blame our president. The job market is not on the rebound. That is preposterous to make such a claim. Working fast food is not my idea of job creation nationwide replacing the outsourced hitech and high paying jobs. Kerry/Edwards have a plan for new jobs.

jonas 9 years, 7 months ago

I'm going to say it right now, up front. The president, and the presidential office, has VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH THE STATE OF THE ECONOMY. All a president can really do to help the economy is largely keep his hands off of it and let it fix itself, and for the most part, Bush has done that. Much as I dislike this administration and it's policies, this is not an issue that we should rationally drop at his feet.

As far as the job market, who knows? I've had the same job for 3 years.