Previous   Next

Would you ever consider traveling to a swing state to sway more voters?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on October 27, 2004

Browse the archives

“Yes. If it’s what I believe in. If my vote won’t make much difference here, then I should go elsewhere.”

“I have considered it. I believe the election is far too important, and I need to do everything I can.”

“Not me personally. I will vote for my state.”

“I hope that it will not matter in this election. I think there will be a larger discrepancy then people think. I think that Kerry has it wrapped up.”

Comments

John Davies 10 years, 10 months ago

I still think Nixon was dead and buried! And that he was a sneaky ** when he was still alive! Watergate was only the thing that brought him down!

Kelly 10 years, 10 months ago

"Hi_Jinks"-

MT isn't a swing state. It's a safe state for Bush.

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

Sorry about that folks! No need to post in triplicate.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 10 months ago

I don't know. It's possible, I guess.

One question......... Is Montana considered a swing state? (I've never been to Montana.)

P.S. I'm not sure "Micah" interpreted the question of the day correctly, judging by his response. (But maybe it's just me. I haven't had any coffee yet!)

Golfdom 10 years, 10 months ago

As a longtime Lawrence resident who now lives in Ohio, I'd like to say this to you well-meaning folks thinking of coming up here to help we ignorant Buckeyes make up our minds:

Please, please, please, please don't. For me, the definition of living in a "swing" state now means you can't "swing" a dead cat without hitting a candidate, a volunteer or a rock star/actor/b-list celebrity telling you how to vote.

We have daily "motorcade traffic updates" to help us avoid the freeway logjams created by these knuckleheads. Our airwaves overfloweth with negative advertising. My phone rings incessantly with recorded messages from Bruce Springsteen, Bill Clinton, Barbara Bush and Barbra Steisand. (Sidebar: My 8-year-old brought the phone to me the other day and said, "It's for you Dad...some guy named Robert Redford.") My front porch is decorated nightly with campaign literature. In short, and to put it very mildly, we do not lack for information about our options.

So, for the love of God, please stay home, root for the the 'Hawks, crack open a Boulevard Pale Ale and relax. Cleveland will rock -- and vote -- just fine without you.

craigers 10 years, 10 months ago

My question is, does Robert think that he can go to another state and vote? Maybe I am not interpreting his comment correctly but it seems like he thinks that if his vote doesn't count here, he should go and vote where it might count.

Kontum1972 10 years, 10 months ago

Hoofy you sure enjoy telling people where to go....and calling them names......Jeez what is wrong with you?

do you have any friends who lived?

your a real piece of work!

you also seem to have forgotten about "Watergate" when you talk about cheating to win....that was Nixon's baby...or maybe you were not born during that time!

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 10 months ago

Thanks, Kelly!

That's what I figured. It's a Bush state----like Kansas is, too! But unlike Kansas, Montana has mountains! And I've always wanted to visit Glacier National Park!

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

I've been involved in a non-partisan effort to get young single moms to vote. We wrote letters to women in urban areas that have never voted and tried to give them some info. about each candidate. We tried to stress to them that voting is indeed their voice. They feel so disenfranchised and have no connection to the system (which may ultimately ignore them anyway). I just wanted to let them know that voting is a good way to start understanding and becoming a part of this country's gov't.

Haymaker 10 years, 10 months ago

I think it's real important for me to travel to some other state to tell them how to vote. Hell, I am thinking of heading to other countries to tell all them ignorant folks how to vote. I feel so damned good about myself! Hold on while I go masturbate in the mirror.

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 10 months ago

If I thought it would help I'd travel to four or five states just to get that ex cheerleading draft dodging girly man crook out of office.

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

Who ever said that it has anything to do with being ignorant? The reality is that there are millions of people who are so apathetic that they don't vote. Trying to get people to vote has nothing to with "us being smarter and them being dumber". Maybe less apathy will lead to a stronger and more democratic society. But if we continue on like this, will voting even matter? I want to see the younger bracket (18-24) come out in full force this year and vote. The polls won't even know what hit them!

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

If Clinton hadn't gotten the BJ heard around the world, would all you rabid Repubs still hate him? He did a lot in office that your side should have liked. What if there was never a Monica? What would you say about him them? Just curious......

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 10 months ago

Newsflash hoof_hearted big mouth- the girly man good ole boy wanna be I'm talking about will be out of office November 2.

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 10 months ago

Carmenilla...Those rabid republicans would have just found something else. Thats the way they are they think they are anointed by God. When Kerry gets in you watch they'll dog him the whole term just like they did Clinton.

Bugbear 10 years, 10 months ago

If the "Clinton years" were so great, then that begs the question: Why was the 2000 election sooo incredibly close? Seems to me that Al Gore (Clinton's right hand man) should have won by a landslide! (But he didn't!)

Gosh! As it turned out, Gore couldn't even win his home state of Tennesee!

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

Can't answer that question can you? As far as Nixon goes, I'm a little too young to say. I know he did a lot for foreign relations and that he stopped the draft. But I was asking you a question. Can you answer it? Will you?

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

John Davies 10 years, 10 months ago

I was stupid enough to vote for Nixon the first time!

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

No you're the friggin' loser (I figure I'll stoop to your methods). Our budget under Clinton was in a surplus. I remember those years as being a time of prosperity for this country. You can't blame one person for what happened on 9-11. There are too many variables.

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 10 months ago

If Bush wasn't such an idiot and a lier we would be rid of Osama and wouldn't have a thousand plus kids of ours dead in Iraq.

craigers 10 years, 10 months ago

I would hope that the budget was in surplus during Clinton since he cut the defense spending and didn't go after Bin Laden. He would have had a budget deficit if he would have gone after terrorists when they were a threat in the beginning, not after they have grown to be an even larger threat. I don't know if there would be as much trash talking on Clinton if he hadn't got caught, but I know I still don't really like his political postion on core values that I hold. There were many things that people didn't like Clinton for, but it was just absurd that our president would do those things that he got caught for. And it wasn't until he got really busted in some lies before he admitted he was wrong.

tell_it_like_it_is 10 years, 10 months ago

hoof_hearted Oh yeah I'm really one of those college age left leaning kids. I only wish I was that age again. I can tell from your ramblings that your a big mouth right wing hypocrite

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

hoof_hearted's age is a mystery as well. He says he's 40 (something?) w/ kids but some of us wonder if maybe he's pretending. Your above statement about him is quite accurate and I put his emotional age at about 5 and half.

Carmenilla 10 years, 10 months ago

Yes, we all can tell, hoofy.....There, there.

jonas 10 years, 10 months ago

Man, y'all were fired up today! Sorry I missed it.

Hoof-hearted: If Clinton hadn't been getting his BJ, he still couldn't have gone after Bin Ladin. No one, whether in Congress or the general public, would have considered it a priority worthy of consideration, because we thought we were safe from the crap the rest of the world had to deal with.

Adam 10 years, 10 months ago

The only "W" I would vote for is Wayne Simien.

Lulu 10 years, 10 months ago

I'll swing with whoever and whatever to sway a vote, but Utah is too far away.

ssauble 10 years, 10 months ago

I've noticed your frequent posts, hoof_hearted. Not today. But everyday.

You are a foolish little man. Let it be known your peristance to post your weightless opinions only shows that this is all the good your hands could weild.

Such useless hands.

You are filled with nothing but naive bile, a good spokesman for the modern day Republican party. A party completely deficiant in wisdom and perverse in morality. A party that has grown coarse in vein, with only a cold disdain left. There are no Lincolns, there are no Eisenhowers.

newtgingerichsucks 10 years, 10 months ago

hey hoof-hearted, newt's last name is "gingerich" not "gingrich," and he's also an idiot... and by the looks of your comments, so are you.