Previous   Next

Do you think that giving tours of paranormal attractions is a viable idea for tourism in Kansas?

Asked at Westridge Shopping Center on October 25, 2004

Browse the archives

“I have thought about taking a haunted tour of Kansas myself. I almost went into the church in Stull, but I chickened out. It would definitely appeal to people like me.”

“No, I don’t think so. I wouldn’t come to Kansas just to walk through a haunted house. I guess it just depends how much money they think it will bring in.”

“I think that anything they can do to bring people to Kansas is great, but there is a lot more to see here than haunted houses.”

“I think that it would be a good idea. I would definitely go on one. I think they should start them in Atchison, since they have the most attractions.”

Comments

lunacydetector 10 years, 3 months ago

i wonder how many "paranormals" live in lawrence, 30%, 40%, 60%?

missmagoo 10 years, 3 months ago

the only paranormal things in kansas are lawrence liberals

jonas 10 years, 3 months ago

Hoof-Hearted: You in heaven. . . chuckle chuckle. . . that's a funny image.

nicegirl 10 years, 3 months ago

P.S. I love the giant prairie dog and the fact that they forget to tell you that it is wooden!

italianprincess 10 years, 3 months ago

I have always been fasinated by the paranormal, but I think maybe having a tour of haunted houses, churches and buildings all year may not work.

Maybe having a tour of them in the month of October during Halloween would be a better idea. It could possibly bring in some who are interested in paranormal activities.

Lulu 10 years, 3 months ago

There are so many strange and wonderful ghostly places in this state it is amazing they are finally getting recognition. In my neighborhood, there are so many old houses that could be considered haunted because they are so old.

lunacydetector 10 years, 3 months ago

it is sad that kansas doesn't have more to offer. there is always the exciting agritourism, the largest ball of twine, the largest mud hut, the deepest hand dug well - it could take a week of car time just to see it all.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 3 months ago

Original_Bob, I do believe that you've hit the nail on the head. I mean what if Lawrence, Topeka, and several other cities and towns start "showcasing" their supposedly haunted house---all around the same time of year? Oh, that's great! Then you'll have a dozen or so cities competing for everyones' "ghost dollars"! And as Bob points out, because of competition, and the desire for each city to have more tourists come to their town for a "tour".....you'll have people (haunted house commision members) going out and about scouring the countryside in search of more and more haunted houses and buildings. ---And whether or not those haunted places are truly haunted is anyone's guess! In time, I'm sure more than one tourist will begin to grow suspicious of all of these so-called haunted places! People will start wondering out loud: "Gee, I had no idea that in Lawrence alone, there are over 50 haunted houses! And Topeka has 75 haunted houses, Atchison has 35 or so, KCK has over 100!!! Wow! Man! Who would have thought that the State of Kansas had sooooooooo many haunted dwellings?????!!!!

Eventually, this whole "haunted tour-thing" will become just a great, big joke to tourists from out of state!

Now, if you really want to talk about something serious and fascinating (and truly unique)......

How about that "Prairie Dog Town" petting zoo located in Oakley, Kansas (just off of I-70)?! It's the home of the "six-legged steer" and the "five-legged cow"! Oh! And then there's the 8,000 pound prairie dog, too!---Just the sight of that 8,000 pound prairie dog alone, makes the trip out there well worth it!!

Now, see, that's the kind of thing that I'm sure "rakes in the big tourist bucks" for a town like Oakley! Lawrence should look into something like that!

jonas 10 years, 3 months ago

Hoof Hearted: After Bush wins the election (and I do believe, unfortunately, that he will) what in the world are you going to have to talk about? Are you just going to gloat for a few months, move on to the evils of hippy freaks, or what?

mrcairo 10 years, 3 months ago

Paranormal? In Kansas?

I thought you had to have something 'Normal' before you could have something Para-Normal.

Kansas is a dyed-in-the-wool Republican Stronghold. That in itself is not Normal. So show me Normal before you show me Para-Normal 'eh .

nicegirl 10 years, 3 months ago

I need help finding some facts on a subject. I know that some of my regular fellow posters can probably help me out. I had a discussion with a man yesterday about Bush and Kerry and their views on Native Americans and land. I know that all of his views are based on pure speculation and rumors (one of which he said a man from Mexico told him). He is not well informed on any aspect of politics. Does anyone know where I can find credible information on this that is from an unbiased source? I am having trouble finding many specifics.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 3 months ago

nicegirl.....

It may be wooden, but impressive-looking, nevertheless!

Reader 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey Hoof, Sorry About That, It's Become Some Kinda Of Habit. Didn't Know It Bothered So Many, In So Many Ways. (Was That The Only Thing You Got Out Of My Post?) I Just Thought I Could My Point Of View Across In Some Kinda Civil Way, Without Offending Anyone, Like So Many Others Have.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 3 months ago

No! No!, hoofy! Those "caps" are Reader's trademark! Nobody else does it but Reader. That's cool!

Also.....

hoofy, I'm telling you, you should get out that way (Oakley)! It's pretty wild! To be honest, I don't think that I'd ever want to live in western Kansas, but there are some "interesting" roadside attractions here and there out that way. Has anyone here ever heard of, or been to the "Garden of Eden" located in Lucas, Kansas? Now that place is wild! A perfect place to visit this tme of year! (Halloween)

Do a Google search if you've never heard of it.

It's just one of those truly "unique things/places" to see and do while traveling through "small town Americana". (And yes, that includes Kansas!)

jonas 10 years, 3 months ago

It seems that, at the very least, sending a heaven-o-gram to gloat at the people in hell would be very un-Christian. Maybe God sets that service up as a trap to weed out any possible mistaken entries.

God-dar: Gloating heaven-o-gram from Hoof-hearted on cloud 456 sector I!!! God: Knew he'd do that eventually. Deep six!!!! (pulls lever) Hoof-Hearted: AAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh, THUD. Jonas and O-Bob: Hi, Hoofie, welcome to Hell! And ha, you were only 26! 40 my a$$.

And yes, I'll be in hell. A state of eternal bliss sounds too much like soma to me. The mind needs diversity of experience.

jonas 10 years, 3 months ago

I haven't said anything since your last posting.

Methinks the hoofie doth protest too much.

Reader 10 years, 3 months ago

Oh Yeah, That's The Ticket! Something I Really Want To Pay and See?? The Haunted, The Paranormal, Something That Already Exists, Empty Houses, Empty Store Fronts (Now There's A Haunting Story Ready To Be Told On How They Got That Way!) I'm Sure Out Of State Tourist Are Just Lining Up On 70 Highway Just To Be The First In Line. And Where? Not Here In Lawrence! I Really Can't Think Of Any One Paranormal Journey I'd Want To Take My Family Too! Who Or What Would Be The Main Attraction? What Would Be In The Gift Shops That I Just Couldn't Do Without When I Left? Let's Face It, Lawrence Or Any Other City In Kansas (For That Matters) Isn't "Disney World". The Sooner The State Of Kansas Catches Up With The Real World It'll Be The Laughing Stalk Of The Whole Nation (It Pretty Much Is Anyway)Tourism?...Please! Maybe If The "Oz Park" Wasn't Voted Against, Our School Districts Wouldn't Be In The Shape It's In. Some Of Their Revenues Could Have Be Directed To The Area School Districts. Then We Could Have Been One Of The Finist School Districts Around, And Have A State Attraction For All To Attend. And If Your Talking Seasonal? Every Attraction Would Be Seasonal. Nobody In Thier Right Minds Flock To Kansas For The Winters Anyway! Don't Get Me Wrong, Lawrence, Kansas Is My Home Town, (It's Like Living In "Mayberry" Think About That One) I've Always Called It Home. But For Me, There's Nothing Here To Keep My Tourism Dollars In The State. After Going To "Disney World" Once (And We Have To Scrimp And Save Just To Go) There's No Comparison. I Don't Even Have The Urge To Go To "Worlds Of Fun" Anymore. You Can Only Go Around The Block So Many Times, Without Getting Board. And It Will Happend Here.
You Know You Can Only "Dwell On The Past" For So Long And Then It Becomes "The Ghost" That Nobody Wants To See!!

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 3 months ago

Hoofy, assuming you are in Heaven 100 years from now, and based upon all that I have read about Heaven, I'm not so sure God is going to allow any sort of contact between those in Heaven and those in Hell. Although I could be mistaken! But somehow I get the feeling that there will be no contact of any kind between those two places.

P.S. However, if by chance there were any contact between the two places.....Wouldn't a message FROM Heaven SENT to Hell technically be called a "Heaven-o-gram" as opposed to a "Hell-o-gram"?? I mean after all, the message you refer to, would be originating from Heaven (where you say you'll be located) and it will be going to Hell (where you say Bob will be). The message would be named after its point of origin (Heaven-o-gram), not its point of destination (Hell-o-gram). Something to ponder, I'm sure!

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 3 months ago

Wait a minute!

Is it possible that "chronologically" hoofy is 16 or so, but "mentally/intellectually" hoofy is more like, say 40?

You know, like Doogie Howser M.D.

For hoofy's sake, I sure hope that's the case! I'd hate to think that it's the other way around!

(Easy with the sarcasm, hoofy! I'm just speculating!)