Previous   Next

Are you worried about packing on extra pounds during the holidays?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 26, 2004

Browse the archives

“Yeah, I guess so. There is always so much great food to eat.”

“Not so much the pounds. I’m personally more concerned about packing on the cholesterol.”

“No. I plan to enjoy myself. You only get this opportunity once a year.”

“Yes. I’m worried about everything from Halloween to New Year’s.”

Comments

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 4 months ago

Alright, fatties of the world - listen up! Tight fitting clothes are a PRIVILEGE, not a right. I become very afraid when the holiday season rolls around. Why? Well, I know that the inevitable "post-holiday" ballooning is about to occur. Only in America do we think that a restaurant with portions smaller than a dinner tray is "skimping" on the food. Only in America do we have people who successfully sue a fast-food chain because they got fat.

I agree with Cairo. Put down the remotes, kick your kid off of the Internet and get your jelly a-rollin' down the sidewalk for some exercise. Try portions no bigger than the palm of your hand (per item), and limit yourself to three or four portions per meal. It's not a secret diet. It's not a quick-fix pill. It's a commitment to being healthy. If you can make that commitment then the holidays will not be something to fear.

Bugbear 9 years, 4 months ago

Okay, so Coach Mangino looks like he's about to explode! Fine! Fair enough!

mrcairo 9 years, 4 months ago

I look at myself in the mirror and think I should lose a few pounds. Then I look at Coach Mark Mangino and think I'm a hot looking guy. I wonder what the line is on Coach Mark Mangino having a heart-attack in the next 5 years, I think I'll call Vegas and see what the action is.

I could never understand obesity. I mean, give it a rest people. Don't biggie-size everything you eat. Get out and walk now and then. Get off that riding mower and push one for a change. I saw a guy riding his mower cutting his yard that was no bigger than a driveway. Get real. I push my 1/2 acre once a week, and I'm a 50+.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 4 months ago

I blame genetics for my flabby physique. Even scientists are saying that Americans are overweight because of the "fat gene" and that obesity is an illness. It's not my fault that I'm too lazy to exercise...the fat gene is to blame. The fat gene also makes me eat an entire box of Ho-Ho's at one sitting. Not my fault. If my weight gets too out of control, I'll have the taxpayers foot the bill for my gastrointenstinal bypass surgery...after all, obesity is a legitimate disability and will be covered by Medicaid soon. Occasionally you'll see me at Wal-Mart. I'm the big person zooming around in the Rascal scooter. When I'm done shopping, I park it by the front doors and walk to my car.

jasoniniraq 9 years, 4 months ago

I am deployed in Iraq and I am always delighted to get goodies. I am not worried about putting on the pounds because I watch what I eat. If you are worried about cholesterol, gaining weight ect...Then just don't eat the foods that would make you worry about it.

lunacydetector 9 years, 4 months ago

I'm not really worried about packing on the pounds. I'm on the seafood diet.

When I see food, I eat it.