Previous   Next

What is the difference between people from Kansas and people from Missouri?

Asked at Southwind 12 Theatres, 3433 Iowa on November 20, 2004

Browse the archives

“I was raised to believe that people from Missouri were a little more cosmopolitan, but it’s not true.”

“People from Kansas tend to have more discipline. Besides that, we just seem to have pride in different schools.”

“We have better roads in Kansas, that’s for sure. I should probably keep the rest of the differences to myself.”

“ I would say we have a lot more spirit and are more friendly. I guess we’re just better. Rock chalk Jayhawk, go KU.”

Comments

Savage 10 years, 1 month ago

Since I have lived on both sides of the border not much. Due to the population shift to metrpolitan areas in recent decades, folks seem to have a survival of the fittest attitude and are not as hospitable as they used to be. Lawrence however seems to break that trend. Its very easy there to meet people from all walks of life. Its easier to bond there and make friends if you are attending college. Kansas is cooler. Oh well...looks like its time to take a class just for fun.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 1 month ago

Kansas is considered a "safe state" for Republicans, Missouri is not. And for the most part I agree with Danielle's comment above about the roads.---Although here in Lawrence, I wouldn't brag too much about the condition of our roads! Does anyone here remember how many pot holes there were last winter and spring?

Improvements to the roads have been made since then, to be sure. But overall, from everywhere in this city that I've driven through in recent months, it would seem to me that Lawrence still has some work to do with its roads!

alczervik 10 years, 1 month ago

Q: Why is it so difficult to solve a murder in Missouri?

A: Because no one has any teeth, and everyone has the same DNA.

Fangorn 10 years, 1 month ago

I don't know about the states in general, but I can comment on the fans of the two schools. As a native Nebraskan and a Husker fan I have attended games in both Columbia and Lawrence (of course I live in Lawrence, so that's a little easier). The people of Lawrence are much nicer. I've watched the Jayhawk roundball team beat up the Huskers. I got to watch the Huskers in Allen Fieldhouse somehow retain a lead when time expired (I was as shocked as the rest of them). And of course I've watched the football Huskers beat/massacre/squeak by the Jayhawks (I'm not old enough to have seen the last Jayhawk gridiron victory over the Huskers). But regardless of the circumstances, I was always treated well by the KU fans. They are good winners and good losers. Columbia on the other hand. . . yikes! Concealed carry or not, I feel unsafe going there. Those people are just evil. Batteries being thrown at players. Being accosted coming out of the stadium. The language they use. If the students make their home field difficult for other teams, it should be because of the noise level and their school spirit, not because of concern for the physical safety of visiting fans and players.

Reader 10 years, 1 month ago

Just got in. The Roads Most Definitely. Hey Hi_Jinks, You Mentioned The Pot Holes From Last Winter? I Don't Know Exactly How Many There Were, But They Still Exist Here In North Lawrence! Oh And BTW, We're Still Sweeping Up The Sand From Last Winter. Like I Said Before "The Buck" Stops At The Corner Of North 2nd And Locust. With The Exception Of The "Old Lawrence Depot". Also Does Anyone Know What Is Going Up On The Westside Of North 2nd? Doesn't Look Like Any "Bank" Or A "Grocery Store" To Me. And We Probably Won't See Any Of Those Christmas Lights (Just One Of The Differences) Like The Ones Their Putting Up Downtown Either! For All The Time And Effort, I Hope That Thier All On This Time. They've Done This In The Past. But They Never Seem To Be On, All At The Same Time, If They're Going To Do The "Plaza Lights" Thing. I Would Think A "Plaza Lights Crew" Should Be In Place To Make Sure That "The Lights" Are Always On When They're Supposed To Be. But As Far As the Real Question? They Are So Many Differences, Where Do You Start? People? Roads? Sports? Food? Smoking? Drinking? The List Just Goes On And On.

nicegirl 10 years, 1 month ago

If you are from Missouri you say "Missourah" If you are from Kansas you say "Missouree"

Funnybone 10 years, 1 month ago

Can the questions get any stupider than this? That is like asking the "difference between the oxygen we breath in each state?" Stupid question!!! Where is the intelligence at. How about a good question like: "Is Lawrence housing market affordable for ALL people versus those who are less fortunate??"

Savage 10 years, 1 month ago

I have found in the past that if we mock the daily questions...they will dish out 3 or 4 more uninteresting questions as blog punishment sequentially...or BP if you will. Down with BP! Or perhaps we are being bombarded by the folks over at the utja. (uncritical thinking journalists of america).

Fangorn 10 years, 1 month ago

Perhaps when we get together as a group, we can come up with our own suggestions for questions to submit to the LJW. Some of them have been pretty unsubstantive recently.

Adam 10 years, 1 month ago

There aren't enough words (at least printable ones) to answer this question. So I'll keep it simple. If you don't know the difference, you're obviously not from around here.

lunacydetector 10 years, 1 month ago

In missouri the letter "L" is silent and the letters "re" (used in combination) is reversed with "er" in their words.

Example:

In Kansas you say, "I told her she was pretty."

In Missouri you say, "I toad her she was pertty."

bayhawk 10 years, 1 month ago

As a native of Lawrence, I'm obviously a bit biased, but the states definitely have a different feel. Missouri did just about everything Southern except leave the actual Union way back in territorial days, and you can kinda feel the difference down to this day. NW Missouri is about like Nebraska or Iowa, but the rest of the state feels pretty southern to me. Lots of right wing fundamentalists (more than KS) in the rural areas, Confederate flags here and there, biscuits and gravy. Kansas has continued to lose people in the rural areas for decades, but still has better schools, better roads, and I think just better run government than MO. I get the feeling there is more corruption over there...maybe not to the level of Illinois, but more than a state like IA, for example. And, yes, I think the folks in KS are friendlier too. And, although I am a native, I've lived in the South and on the Left Coast, so I've seen different places. Kansas takes a lot of crap, but it is still a nice, if somewhat boring, state.

saidtoomuch 10 years, 1 month ago

Missourans live in a single wide with a couple sheep in the front yard. Kansans opt for a double wide with a herd of cattle in the back yard.

pimp11 10 years, 1 month ago