Previous   Next

Do you think the Kansas University campus is easily accessible for people with disabilities?

Asked at Jefferson's Restaurant, 743 Mass. on November 12, 2004

Browse the archives

“I would say parts of it are. Like Wescoe or Budig Hall, but the Art and Design Building doesn’t seem very accessible.”

“If I was a new student with a disability, I would have a hard time finding the accessible entrances. Strong Hall only has one on the far west side.”

“I would say no, because I haven’t seen all that many ramps, and there doesn’t seem to be enough handicapped parking spaces.”

“Yes and no, depending upon what kind of disability they have. You can’t make it accessible through every entrance, and sometimes it seems like they have to go out of their way.”

Comments

Fangorn 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu, if you don't know the Senate bill number, where did you read about this legislation? Who sponsored the bill? And how long have you been Christophobic?

Lulu 10 years, 8 months ago

Under a measure being considered next week in the U.S. Senate, the federal government would require that every child in America undergo psychological screening and receive recommended treatment, including drugs.

Hear, hear!!!!

KU is built on a hill. Tradition should be set aside and the university should be relocated to a flat surface like K-State. FLAT.

badger 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't think the University is accessible at all. Besides the hills, which they can't fix, there's a serious lack of good sidewalks, ramped and automatic entrances, and sufficiently wide hallways. Given that the University seems a little strapped for cash, I don't know that it's fair to demand they fix it all right now, but they need to be making some real progress on it, I think.

California Uber Alles, Lulu? I for one don't look forward to those "suede-denim secret police.' Besides, you're outside your rhetoric box. Don't you know that starting the kids on Prozac early on will mean that they won't object later in life to the election-stealing, puppy-kicking, Eeeeeeeevil Republicans? The new mantra for us libs is that the conservatives are using psych drugs, mind control, and our own apathy to steal our country (they're right about that third one; the others are bunk). You must have missed the memo. I'll send it to you. It's called, "Brave New World."

Fangorn 10 years, 8 months ago

Let's compromise, Lulu. We'll preserve the traditional campus location, but we'll remove Mt. Oread. That would only be slightly less expensive than moving the campus.

btw, just out of curiousity, if this Senate legislation exists, what is the bill number?

remember_username 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu, wheres my "soma"! (ok, how many people get that reference.)

As for the issue. No, the K.U. campus isn't "easily" accessable to the physically challenged. There has been considerable modifications to improve things and I believe all campus buildings are now accessable, if not in a round-about way. But that does not make it "easy".

In the university's defense most of the buidings were constructed in a time when mobility and independence were not important issues with the disadvantaged. Thanks to strides in medicine and biomechanics, access to public buildings is now an important consideration.

Lulu 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't know the Bill number, just that the Shrub is in favor of its passing.

Soma, better than christianity and alcohol, without the side effects.

Carmenilla 10 years, 8 months ago

I have a wheelchair-bound friend and he says KU is getting better with the ramps but the reality is that the campus itself is hard to traverse. I think the campus is hard to get around even if you don't have a disablility. I see lots of people huffing and puffing to get across campus in time. Back when I was in the Art Dept. I remember that I had to get to a class on the other side of campus and I was late all the time because it took a little while to get there on foot. It seems the campus layout has a lot of nooks and crannies and hills and dips. I can't imagine trying to get around in a wheelchair or even with a cast or something. But hey, maybe its good excercise (we all need that!).

Fangorn 10 years, 8 months ago

OB, I know it's probably pointless, but one can always hope! If the bill is real, I'd like to know about it. If it isn't (as I suspect), I'd like everyone else to know about it. It could be that someone new is reading our posts today and may actually take Lulu seriously.

remember_username 10 years, 8 months ago

Ok, eveybody the bill Lulu must be refering to is S. 1223 Companion Bill to H.R. 1359. Use your computers and do a search - then you can read it for yourselves. It is not as bad as Lulu makes it out to be - is anything?

Jay_Z 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu, everytime you post something here, my first thought is "wow, you are a psychotic, LSD trippin', wacked-out nut job." The only thing your posts are useful for are a good laugh! I can't figure out if you are a real person or if "Lulu" is just some persona created by a very good comedian who likes to make fun of liberals. Either way, keep it up!

Carmenilla 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu is a real person with some of the traits exhibited. But I believe she is in fact baiting us all and trying to get a reaction (much like Hoofy; but his wasn't an "act"). I think Lulu is just being extreme in these anonymous forums because she knows she can. I am always amazed by what the veil of anonymity can do to bring out the beast (and best) in people. I'll just stick with being myself.....No need to exaggerate, I'm plenty opinionated enough!

Funnybone 10 years, 8 months ago

Lulu isn't far from the truth. A rural school (won't name any names) in the outskirts of Lawrence already does have children meet with counselors if the teachers don't think they are performing up to standards. Prozac is out of the question for my baby.