Previous   Next

Are you experiencing any postelection stress?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on November 4, 2004

Browse the archives

“No. I was sad, but what’s the point in stressing now? I guess it hasn’t quite hit me yet. It seems kind of like a bad dream.”

“Yes. I am horrified at the prospects for the social infrastructure of the country, and the educational and economic prospects of those of us not in the top 10 percent income bracket.”

“I’m a little concerned about the next four years. I just think that George W. Bush had his chance, and I was disappointed with what he accomplished. I was really hoping John Kerry would get in and make a difference.”

“A little bit. I’m anxious to see how the overwhelming Republican strength will affect our lives here in Lawrence, as well as the rest of the world.”

Comments

moffie22 9 years, 5 months ago

Yes I have a lot of stress in my life and dealing with four more years of Bush seems unbearable. I guess America is happy with mediocrity. It is sad when this country is run by the elite and the young people don't care enough about changing things to vote. I thought that the large voter turnout meant that people wanted a change, but I guess not. Do the people that run this country have to wonder where their next meal is coming from?

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

A closing remark.

Conservatives were baffled in 1996 at how the American people could re-elect a man with Clinton's obvious lack of moral underpinning. But we survived four more years of the man. Now Liberals seem baffled at how Americans would re-elect a man because of his moral underpinning. You will survive the next four years. In fact, I'd say your chances of surviving the next four years are better because W was re-elected. I mean, the Islamofascists blew up a Spanish train before their election, an Australian embassy before their election but could only strike the US with. . . . a Michael Moore/MoveOn.org redux videotape?

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

[Continued from previous post.]

I don't happen to be "[g]un totin'". However, the Constitution (you've heard of it, yes?) guarantees the right of "the people to keep and bear arms". "Bear" means to carry, or "tote", if you will. We can discuss, if you like, what constitutes a "well-regulated militia". However, "the people" everywhere else in the Constitution refers to the citizens of the country and cannot here be magically transformed into some quasi-governmental organization. Especially one that did not exist in a formal sense at the time the second Amendment was written. It is hardly an insult to be accused of exercising a right which is stated clearly in the Constitution ("[g]un totin'"), as opposed to one that is not mentioned at all in the Constitution (i.e. abortion).

Many voters who adhere to Judeo-Christian values believe that homosexuality violates God's law. Some of these, no doubt, are "fag hating", not bothering to notice that hate also violates God's law. Claiming that any opposition can only be motivated by hate is a convenient (and weak) argument frequently used, often quite effectively, by Liberals. It's a way of de-legitimizing an opponent's argument without actually having to address its merits, or even its lack thereof.

Me being somewhat penurious, my wallet is hardly worth stealing. However considering the way "progressive" ideology urges us to "understand" the thief and how many in the judicial oligarchy oblige by refusing (failing, really) to issue sentences with any deterrent value, I can understand how some would want to keep their "wallet on a chain". When the Justice System [sic] will not chain up criminals, the populace may have to resort to chaining up their valuables, including their wallets.

I do not now, nor have I ever, worn a mullet. Oddly, I did not even know what one was until about three years ago. But let me ask, what does one's hair style have to do with the merit of ones positions or beliefs? Or is "me's" disdain for mullets another example of Liberal tolerance and understanding? And let me ask my readers one other question. Late at night on a rural road after a heavy rain, your car has slid into a ditch. A vehicle pulls up behind you with its lights on. Do you feel relief, dread, or indifference when out of the light there appears: A) a "mullet havin' hillbill[y]" carrying a tow chain, B) a spike-headed Goth wearing a tow chain, or C) a member of the "arts-and-croissant" crowd whose only chain is made of gold and worn around the neck?

Fangorn 9 years, 5 months ago

You know, one would think that sort of thing would make the news. Crack is illegal in most states. Now Kansas has apparently not only decriminalized it, but is distributing it (free?) around Lawrence. In mean, what else could explain the postings of "me"?

I know many thoughtful, well-spoken Liberals, and have enjoyed many a lunch of Chinese food while discussing issues. "me" doesn't seem to offer much more than name-calling. Where does one begin? According to Lawrence's seeming Pontificator-in-Chief, Republicans are "sad and dumb", "[g]un totin', fag hating, wallet on a chain wearin', mullet havin' hillbillies", "ignorant and close minded", "misguided", "backwater", "close minded" (apparently it bore repeating), "scumbag(s)" (or was that just the President?).

Let's tackle these one at a time, shall we? Liberals are actually the ones who are "sad" at the moment. It was their agenda that was thoroughly repudiated at the polls Tuesday. Your candidate lost, decisively. Clinton got 42% of the popular vote in 1992 and claimed a huge mandate to take a radically different direction (remember Hillary's socialized medicine?). This election saw a clear majority vote for the first time since 1988. I'd say that gives W a mandate. I know that margin was only 3%. That is irrelevant. Liberals didn't think Reagan had a mandate to govern when we thrashed Mondale in 1984 by 18%! And not only did the President win re-election, he increased his party's majorities in both houses of Congress, including the seat of soon-to-be-former Senator Dacshle (D-SD). Yes, it's Liberals who are sad tonight.

"me" asserts that Republicans have no original thoughts. But he is the one who trots out the tired canard that Bush voters are "dumb". On this point, Liberals sound like a broken record (for those of you too young to remember turntables, that's sort of like when you get a scratch on a CD and a short bit of sound repeats itself over and over and over. . . ). One need look no farther for contravening evidence of this than the fact that "me" can resort only to ad hominem remarks. Remember when Bill Bradley was running in the 2000 primary against Algore and "cerebral" became the Word of the Day? Oh, he was the smartest man alive! (But only because Hillary isn't a man). Bill Bradley's soaring intellect would save us from ourselves. Then it turns out (inconveniently) that W's SAT score was higher than the "cerebral" Bill Bradley's. The media declared how embarrassing that must be. . . for the SAT people. There are, in fact, Republicans who could be described as dumb. There are also Liberals who could be described as dumb, perhaps even some here in Kansas.

[Comments continued in next post.]

blackwalnut 9 years, 5 months ago

Let Bush try to clean up the mess he made in Iraq and with the deficit.

After four more years, he will rightly get the blame for having failed to do it.

Meanwhile, all those who supported him will get what they deserve.

Unfortunately, the rest of us will get what they deserve, also.

nicegirl 9 years, 5 months ago

I hope tomorrow is back to lame questions about cheese and if the time between classes is long enough.

jr16250 9 years, 5 months ago

wow...

mrcairo you are truly outspoken. But, hey if thats how you feel, can I suggest Canada? You won't have to worry about your extra 7500 a year for health insurance.

It's obvious that you don't know much about our military. I am currently serving active duty. Since I serve here in the states, I guess I don't protect anyone's freedoms right? I can now sit at home and wonder what purpose I serve. Thank you for enlightening me. I now can only hope that you do take yourself and your kids to Canada or New Zealand. Maybe you could tell the rest of the people serving that they serve no purpose because they are not in Afgahnistan. Except for doing the bidding of Clinton and George W. in protecting Halliburton. Thank You.

I hope you don't have too many kids, as they will probably follow your idiotic teachings. Heaven forbid someone you love die for a cause.

lulu - keep honking for hemp. Maybe it will take the edge off when our next republican president is elected in '08.

me - i guess i better go get me an educaton so i don't vote for my own job loss. At least now I can stockpile my assualt weapons and sawwed offs in preparation for the "christian taliban's" war on america's freedoms and decencies.

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

Masterblue: Post that again tomorrow so I can start a flame-war on the Terry Schiavo case before I leave the country! I'd start one now, but no one posts at night as often as the day. Well, except for Larry.

How about it Larry? I can almost guarantee we stand at opposite ends of the spectrum in THAT particular case!

Larry 9 years, 5 months ago

Darn it! I forgot that I was going to invite EVERYONE over for KC Strips and T-Bones tonight in honor of G.W. Bush's victory. It is time to celebrate! Oh well, maybe in 2008 if we're all still around. It would have been a great debate tonight. My wife would have last 3 minutes before she booted us out to the deck or garage or basement. :o) Although, I would bet that nicegirl, craiger, ms magoo and hi_jinks would be allowed to stay inside with my lovely wife. She would probably like you guys and give you the extra large and tender steaks. Lulu wouldn't show because her true identity would be discovered (KU psycho student working on project on Internet behavior).

Have a great evening. Time to go eat!

Jay_Z 9 years, 5 months ago

Me~

Don't be bitter because the Democratic party is falling apart and is handing its leadership over to the likes of Michael Moore, George Soros, and Harold Ickes. If the democrats keep in this direction, they'll never regain any power in this country. Woo hoo, keep it up for all I care! Look at how many of the counties in this country were won by George W!!

Look at the stats below the map....it is quite telling of how much work the misguided Democrats have to do to catch up with the Republicans. Cheers to another 4 years of George W. Bush!

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

Pig Farmer - My bad! His name was hoof_hearted and yours is Pig Farmer. hoof = pig. Just another crass generalization on my part. Welcome aboard!

Bugbear 9 years, 5 months ago

Okay! I can see that this post is sloooooooowly starting to sink further and further into the gutter! That's okay, though! I think "gutterspeak" makes this post a little more exciting! Some might even say, "Titillating"!!---Nice play on words, don't you think? :)!

Das_Ubermime 9 years, 5 months ago

Hi_Jinks:

How do they taste with milk, though? The milk test is the real test of whether or not an oreo is good. My favorite was always the double-stuffed oreos. Just can't go wrong with that much creamy goodness.

P.S. Anyone whose thoughts went into the gutter with my last sentence should be ashamed of themselves. Yeah, you know who you are.

hugs_and_kisses 9 years, 5 months ago

..............still waiting!...............

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

Okay, I am confused now. Was "Me" offering S_ X when she said all republican need to get laid? Isn't that illegal? Or is it only illegal when Republicans do it? I am pretty picky about who I get close to so I think I will pass. But thanks for the offer.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 5 months ago

Man, I'm tellin' ya, these chocolate-in-the-center Oreos are awesome!

Bugbear 9 years, 5 months ago

me----back in 1992, I was got sick to my stomach when Clinton and Gore got elected and I got over it! It took quite a while, but I got over it!

So me........get over it! (Or at least try to, anyway!)

Bud Fuller 9 years, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob

No I am not Hoofy. I wondered what that message meant that hoofy was back. The way I found about this site was from my wife who enjoys reading the posts. She said someone got kicked off. She just called and was laughing about your message and now I understand.

I thought I was mild? Perhaps I should not say what I really think as it has got me in trouble in the past.

Anyway, my wife got a big kick out of you saying hoofy is back.

nicegirl 9 years, 5 months ago

Go ahead and make your crass generalizations and typecast people that you know nothing about. There are several of us that post on here daily. We all have our own viewpoints and disagree with each other quite often. However, we are able to make our points in a manner that is not offensive to others and that fosters a good discussion. I guess that is above you though.

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

L J WORLD IS A COMMUNIST STATE!!!!

me 9 years, 5 months ago

Nicegirl-it's working great, thanks. Hey, Fred Phelps and his gay haters are holding a protest at a funeral somewhere right now, I'm sure. Aren't you guys late?

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

me- i'm glad I'm not associated with you. You seem pretty stuck up.

P.S.- "... you all could probably use a really good lay."- that sounds intelligent

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

"me" - dang dude. I remember you used to put up some reasonable posts. I do not remember you as the way you present yourself today. Angry and spiteful. Maybe Jimmy Olsen hijacked your handle for the day.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 5 months ago

I don't blame the fundamentalist nuts for this; everyone knew they would be voting in big numbers. I'm ticked at the people in the 18-24 group who stayed home on Tuesday. Only 1 in 10 from that group made it to the polls. They seem to have no problem showing up at a protest, so why didn't they show up at the voting booths? They could have changed the outcome of this election, but they chose not to.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

master blue - Independent with liberal tendencies when I'm not conservative. Some call it wanting to have the best of both worlds, undecisive, ignorant, cowardly, etc... Whatever, I like thinking for my ownself with the ability to change my mind without having to defend prinicples I don't agree with just because my party has them as a platform. Welcome aboard.

nicegirl 9 years, 5 months ago

me: You have by far become the most offensive poster on here. You must be a very bitter and miserable person. I would sure hate to live my life thinking so poorly of everyone who didn't see things the exact way I do. You're not thinking for yourself either, you are just spouting off the same stereotypical rhetoric that you have heard your fellow Democrats say. You don't have any beliefs and can't stand on your own platform so you use insults and stereotyping and negativity instead. How is that working for you?

Bud Fuller 9 years, 5 months ago

Jonas

You are correct, I looked it up - wrong back. Damn after 3 semesters of spanish you would think I could do better. However, that was 30 years ago. Will I think I will carry my right wing hillbilly ass out for a cold brew (American brand).

me 9 years, 5 months ago

I would rather be associated with two haggards that spout off than be part of the sheeple that can't think for themselves. I will rest easy at night knowing that I have a free, open mind. I rest easy knowing that my heart isn't filled with hatred for those that choose a different path than I do. When was the last time any of you republicans thought for yourselves? When was the last time any of you took a stand without your preacher, your mommy or your leprechaun telling you what to think? So sad, so stifled, so oppressed you republicans are. I bet you all could probably use a really good lay.

craigers 9 years, 5 months ago

ssauble, what I said was get a different job that has better insurance, not one that has it. There are jobs out there that do have great coverage and the fact that mrcairo's so called expenses went up about $625 seems a little outrageous. However, it is not Bush's fault the healthcare system is in the condition it is now. I think it is naive to blame him because he promoted other issues as well. I am sorry but healthcare has been a continued problem and it should be all of our senators and representatives that get blamed for it. These problems didn't arise overnight or in the last four years. They are continuing problems and I agree they need to be dealt with but don't just try placing the blame on the opposite party. Oh well, I guess nobody gets that and everybody just wants to place blame which gets us nowhere.

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

It's alright Bob, even if you are a liberal (kidding)

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

That country would definitely be better than the way this country is heading. I'll take our leprechaun over your Botox-filled piece of cardboard. Oh, and by the way...

"...that believe in less taxes for the people who actually work for a living." -- Yeah, Kerry is such a hard worker. If he is, his career must be whining. Started in Vietnam, ended on the campaign trail. And thats just what our awesome President has done, ended him.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

MasterBlue - I was just giving you static. Notice my typing abilities today. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

"me" - Go talk to Lulu and get a Xanax or something. "...there is no American Gov't." That's just crazy talk. Bush won, that sucks, oh well, get over it and get with it. Bush was elected fairly this time and that's that until this time in '08. These hysterics you spout are why liberals have a bad name. You sound like a cross between Moore and Franken now. Those 2 guys alone caused more people to vote for Bush or at least not for Kerry. No sane person wants to be associated with those 2 haggards.

me 9 years, 5 months ago

You people keep saying that the liberals should leave the country but actually we, the democrats, the libertarians, the independents, etc. are the only ones who really deserve to be here. We are the open minded folks. We are the ones who don't hate someone else because of their differences. We are the ones who believe in salvaging what rights we have. We aren't the ones that think that mainstream religion should be shoved down everyone's throats. We're not the ones who think that laws should be passed trying to legislate other people's morals. We're the ones that believe in less taxes for the people who actually work for a living. Maybe you damned republicans should head on out. Go somewhere with your little leprechaun looking president where you can live under his thumb and under the rule of a conservative court and congress. Go somewhere else and let him and his fat cat cronies tell you how to live your lives, who to worship and who you're allowed to love. SSauble is right. All that piece of crap talked about for a year was God, guns and gays. Maybe you sheeple are happy with some fat, rich, white jerkoff from Washington telling you how to live, but I'm not. For the next four years, as far as I'm concerned, there is no American Government.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 5 months ago

You know something? Right now I'm eating an Oreo cookie---with a chocolate center---instead of the rather familiar "white" center!

And I gotta tell ya.....These things sure are tasty!

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

The_Original_Bob-

Sometimes you can think of something before you type it but then still type it anyway

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

Dear Me, I equally as sorry for you poor democrat liberals. You think that just because Republicans stand for good american morals and are unwilling to sacrifice them for a dried up lump of sh*t like John Kerry, we must be rednecks. Well, let me tell you what I think of liberals. They are pacificified, amoral, party-hearty, bleeding heart fags who just happen to like ketchup. Have you ever thought that maybe there are some things that a President can't control i.e. gas prices, heinous crimes commited in a foreign country by that country's evil dictator. Start looking at the whole picture, damned liberals!

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

God, the grammer police are going to have a field day today, I meant "You are right, ..."

"me" still is stuck in the anger phase. I understand his/her passion, but a bit on the fatalistic side.

Zimbabwe does hate us by the way.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

MasterBlue - How is it an unintended pun if you purposefully typed it in?

ssauble - You are write, but all we'll ever get our politicians. I say we need another Benjamin Harrison or Grover Cleveland.

me 9 years, 5 months ago

I've come to the conclusion, by reading the posts on this board in the last few months, that republicans are just sad and dumb. I mean, I know none of you people are loaded, so that doesn't explain your attitudes, so now I'm guessing, hillbillies? Gun totin', fag hating, wallet on a chain wearin', mullet havin' hillbillies. That can be the only thing that explains a group of people being so ignorant and close minded. I'm sad for you, all of you, really. I'm sad that Bush won the election because it's going to mean the demise of anything good that was left of America, but I'm even sadder for you poor, misguided republicans. There isn't an original thought amongst any of you. You people are so backwater you're willing to let a stupid, southern tyrant ruin your great country and all you can do is hoop and holler about it like you were calling pigs. And you gloat! That's the worst part! You gloat as if you're truly happy that that horrid man is going to be your leader for another four years. I can't wrap my brain around being so close minded and so willing to let a scumbag run the White House because you're afraid of gays marrying and unwanted babies being aborted? That can be your only platform. He certainly didn't run on the "I'm fixing the economy, foreign relations are great, oil has never been cheaper, none of your children are going to be murdered by towel heads today" platform. What were you thinking when you went to the polls? Were you thinking "boy I sure hate my job. I can't wait til its shipped over to India" or was it "you know, I surely wish gas were a little more expensive" or maybe it was "you know, it doesn't really matter if every other country in the world besides England and Zimbabwe hates us". Either way, just wait, you'll see. As bad as it may sound, I almost can't wait for the collapse of our economic system or another attack by terrorists that hate us or another war in a country Dubya decides he wants to invade because he's bored or caught in some more lies, just so I can do a little gloating of my own.

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

Mrcairo is ignorant. I'm in highschool and my parents are both in the military. I plan on joining in two mmore years. It doesn't matter if all your relatives and their cousin( unintended pun) seerved in the military, it depends on what you do, now. How about you get a clue!!

ssauble 9 years, 5 months ago

What we NEED is another Will Rogers, another Woody Guthrie, or another Mark Twain.

Not another politician.

MasterBlue 9 years, 5 months ago

All the people who promised to leave the country if George Bush won should just do it. Leave!! Anyway, Post election stress? I would be stressed if Kerry won! He can't even keep his mind fixed while he was a Senator, imagine how he would deal with the Presidency.

ssauble 9 years, 5 months ago

craigers,

A large precentage of us Americans are unemployed. More so than surveys are able or wish to show. We have now off the radar.

Find another job with health insurance? With all due respect, that's a little naive.

I met with elderly who can longer afford the medication they rely on on a day-to-day basis. One of them was a 70-year-old Jewish woman with heart complications who's prescription went from $30 a month to $370 under the current administration.

Because Bush touted God, Guns, and Gays, the dire issues have been ignored.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 5 months ago

Oh please not Hillary! She could never win. What we nee is another Harry Truman type in 08 thats our only hope.

Lulu 9 years, 5 months ago

This election got me so bad, I can't remove myself from the pot. It flat out stinks!

Hillary in '08!

Honk for hemp!

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

L J WORLD = COMMUNISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

Cairo, don't let the door hit you in the A- -. And quit trying to make yourself feel important because you say your ancestors did something worth while. If they existed they may have fought and died for an ideal that you and your ilk have bastardized over the last 100 years. So don't try to preach to me about your twisted logic.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

The pig farmer is back, yes.

Jonas - Safe travels.

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

Isn't espalda just the body part "back?"

Perhaps you should use "ustuve regresando" for "has returned"

demo, eigo hanashi'te, kudasai!

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

L J world is censoring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bite me lj world!!!!!

mrcairo 9 years, 5 months ago

consumer1, you did nothing to protect my right to free speech. If anything, you re-inforced the Bush Administrations laws to restrict my rights to free speech.

The only thing you protected, was Haliburtons Profits.

You did nothing to protect me from Terrorists. The only people in the Armed Forces protecting me from Terrorists are in Afghanistan. The Few. The majority are in Iraq, fighting to protect Haliburton. Get a clue.

My ancestors fought and died in the American Revolution. They fought in the war of 1812, in the Civil Wars, in WWI, WWII, Korea, and VietNam.

Bud Fuller 9 years, 5 months ago

El granjero del puerco es espalda-si.

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

actually, I can spell. I just don't type well and have only recently because of the GARSH DARN errors have begun to proofread my post. I know I was a little harsh in my response, I am sorry. Your post was nicely done and well spoken. I always enjoy reading and posting here, so I don't really want to make anyone angry. This may be hard to believe.

Jay_Z 9 years, 5 months ago

No post-election stress here....way to go W, four more years!! Republican majority in the senate and the house, life is certainly good!! Michael Moore and all of you other crazy, wacked out liberals, put that in your pipe and smoke it.

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

L J WORLD SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!!!!

Bud Fuller 9 years, 5 months ago

Get over it you Douglas county left wingers are always stressed over something. Go find a gay person and pat them on the head or somewhere else, you will feel bettar. Damn that spelling, we just dot'n no know better..

daryll 9 years, 5 months ago

The fact you can't spell doesn't bother me. However, if you read through today's posts there is a clear trend (yourself being the worst example) that perhaps reflects the national trend of those who voted for Bush.

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

daryll, This kind of pathetic rhetoric is to be expected of the losing party, on second thought it is to be expected of self rightious left wing proponents who think they know how to run everyone else's lives. It is time to wake up and live for yourself. in addition. C'mon, now it is not the spelling that bothers you is it???? It is not having kerry for President. Denial is a pathetic thing. If you don't get help from Charter, please get help someplace. Have a better day.

daryll 9 years, 5 months ago

I've noticed the Bush backers are having some trouble spelling. If they would turn off their biased media televisions and read more it would help their spelling. It would also help them realize that the Bush regime is corrupt and only acting on the behalf of big business at the expense of the average tax-paying citizen. Furthermore, the illogic of your "moral values" is truly laughable.

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

Jonas Right on ! have a wonderful experience. I am not surprised to hear you are doing this. You are a man of quality and character. I hope you the best in your persuits. Consumer!

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

Liberty. You have no idea why I served my country. For you to try and second guess and correct me is foolish. You only reveal your own ideology and shallowness. And furthermore, I, unlike you apparently am able to think for myself. I suggest you face reality and take your own medicine/advise. Put your book down and experience reality. And before you try and put yourself on a pedistal yes, I put my books down and supported your right to have an opinion too then came back with a reality check to finish my degree. So, thanks for the short sighted advise. I think I will continue to make my own decisions.

jonas 9 years, 5 months ago

Mismagoo: That hopeful governmental gridlock was the precise reason that I voted, despite reservations, for John Kerry, and I am kind of sad that there will be another four years of a busy government passing laws and initiatives right and left. I hope that someday soon folks will realize that not only can the government not provide our lives for us, but that its attempts to do so only atrophe our own ability to think and live for ourselves. Was it Madison or Jefferson that said that all government is evil by definition, and thus the best government is the one that governs least. Kerry certainly wouldn't have done this, true, but his opposition would have done it for him. Bush has shown no signs of doing the same, though he's certainly tried to give that impression to the casual viewer. With the power he'll have, he will exercise it. Time will tell in which way he will do so.

A government cannot provide morality, it can only make laws.

It cannot give freedom, it can only restrict it.

It can provide order, and some stability, but it cannot eleviate fear.

Just some thoughts. I'll be signing off for a week or two. I'm going to the Dominican Republic with my old church to give medicine to the Haitian suger-cane cutters. Have fun, y'all.

missmagoo 9 years, 5 months ago

Lulu i hope the christian taliban takes you hostage

Liberty 9 years, 5 months ago

Consumer1 has the attitude of a Republican Party faithful. He went and fought for his government, not his country. He needs to understand the difference between the two. We now have a two party dictatorship and the police are the military. Our government has been using communism and fascism to govern. I recommend that Consumer1 read the 10 planks of the communist manifesto. You will find all 10 of them active in our government and state government.

A Summary of the Communist Manifesto:

1. Abolition of private property - personal property tax
  2. Heavy prgressive income tax.
  3. Abolition of all rights of inheritance.
  4. Confiscation (stealing) of property of all emigrants and rebels.
  5. Central bank (Federal Reserve system)
  6. Government control of Communications & Transportation. (FCC) (DOT) (KDOT)
  7. Government ownership of factories and agriculture.
  8. Government control of labor. (We are all becoming fincancial slaves to the federal debt.) Dept. of Labor...
  9. Corporate farms, regional planning. (CRP of crop land...)
  10. Government control of education. (through funding)

Consumer1 should redirect his wrath against the above system instead of a person trying to protect his family from involuntary servitude.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 5 months ago

mrcairo.......

Wasn't it you that was all excited the other day talking about that Redskins/presidential election connection. You know, that rather odd statistic that showed that over the past several decades, a Redskins victory on the Sunday before an election meant that the sitting president would win the election, and that if the Redskins lose the Sunday before a presidential election, then the sitting president loses as well.

Hmmm.........Let's see........The Packers beat the Redskins this past Sunday, did they not?.......So that means Bush should have lost the election, right?

Well, what happened on Tuesday, mrcairo?

.........So much for "historical oddities".---And that's just what it was, mrcairo! Nothing more! It was all just a coincidence, mrcairo! Contrary to popular belief, coincidences do occur!--And sometimes more than once!

I mean let's put it this way.... Predicting a presidential election by way of some pro football game is about as reliable (and as silly) as asking a "magic 8-ball"...... "Who will win the election?".

----And somehow I get the feeling that you probably have a magic 8-ball hidden somewhere in your house, huh?

Do yourself a favor..........THROW THAT DAMN THING AWAY!

Redneckgal 9 years, 5 months ago

Not really stressed but I am tired from staying up too late Tuesday night and ready for the weekend to catch up on some sleep. Still don't really think the best guy won but I think we'll be all right. This country has survived worse than W. Like watergate and Nixon. We will be okay. Thanksgiving and Christmas are coming up and people will soon have a lot more to think about .

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

Well, I'm probably going to get yanked again because the left loonies at the LJ world hate me. Freedom of speech? No way! Not if you don't say what the LJ world wants to hear!! They scream about civil liberties but yank great posters (such as myself) when they start tellin' the truth! So, I'll just have my comments be:

Consumer1: right on!! Mr_Daniels: right on!! Missmagoo: I love you!! Craigers: right on!!! Lunacydetector: right on!!

The rest of ya: Shove it!! Move to Canada!!

Lulu 9 years, 5 months ago

I am concerned for my safety since the Christian Taliban is here for another 4 years.

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

Cairo. You don't derserve to live in a country where men and women have given up their lives to protect your right to voice your whiney opinion. Having not been a coward I enlisted in the military to protect those of you who want the whole enchalada and not pay for it. SO,go ahead ! Please leave America and try a different way of life. AND please give up your citizenship and hopefully when you get a dose of reality you will come whining back wanting to live in this tyranny. Don't let the door hit you and your ungreatful family in the backside. Now go on git!!!! and take your Volvo and birkenstocks w/ you.

mr_daniels 9 years, 5 months ago

For those paranoids out there in the hinterlands www.drudgereport.com has an article regarding Canada and its immigration policy! Let us see, where can you all go...Canada, maybe. New Zealand or perhaps become an Aussie, I love Aussies, great soldiers. Great Britian is Socialist so is Red China, North Korea or Cuba, only 90 miles off the Florida Coast. Venuzuela and Brazil are Socialist. Shoot there are plenty of places in the world for those who despise this Great Land of Ours where freedoms can be taken can be taken for granted, plenty! Could try the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation where Socialism has a death grip on its population. Too close to home huh? By the way, South Dakota has vanquished the Obstructionist/filabusterer to Washington, D.C. to live in his TWO MILLION DOLLAR Home where he and his wife will lobby for the airlines industry! Lament, lament, lament!

This time, I mean it, you all have a wonderful day, for you do live in the greatest country in the free world!

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

cairo - Or you could become a rich oil barron and send your kids to Yale and get them into the 'Bama National Guard.

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 5 months ago

Savage - Yeah, I'm sensing Anger still, but bargaining and acceptance are starting to shine through.

I'm not entirely happy Bush won, but I wouldn't have been entirely happy if Kerry won. I went through my stages of Grief a few months ago.

There will be no draft. This is one of the non-issues still hanging around post-election. Just wait, the media will shift attention to the Peterson trial, shortage of flu shots, or El Nino in the next couple of weeks and the draft paranoia will end.

mrcairo - By simply moving to Canada or New Zealand you are not saving your kids from a draft. You must become a citizen of one of those countries and renounce your and your children's US citizenship. And that's assuming Canada or New Zealand would allow you or others with your fears to become citizens. You can't just move there and say, "I'm a citizen now!" it's a long process. That's of course, if you wanted to be on the up and up about it and have no protracted legal fears for you kids if they wanted to come back and visit 10 years from now. I'm sure you could probably hide out somewhere. Are your kids nearing the age of 18? Just wondering, if they are younger I'd just wait cause after 4 more years of Bush, the country, in my opinion, will swing to a Democratic point of view.

goatdog 9 years, 5 months ago

It feels more like a great relief. This really is a blessing in disguise. Mr. Bush and company will have another four years to bankrupt the national coffers, erode personal civil liberties and lose both his wars. The damage will be irrefutable and the responsibility clearly on his head.

missmagoo 9 years, 5 months ago

The funny thing is that John Kerry would have had a really hard time getting republican support in the Senate and Congress as a whole, especially now after the election since the GOP will control even more than they were before. So this proposed tax increase, and whatever b.s. he promised you liberals was a bunch of crap and probably wouldn't have happened anyways. The election is over. Four more years of W, America voted...and the right man won. Go W!~

craigers 9 years, 5 months ago

MrCairo, if you insurance goes up by 7500 in one year alone, you might want to get a different job with an employer that covers better. I can understand the stress though if your figure is accurate.
No post-election stress here, knowing that GW is in the White House and he will stand for my conservative morals and values. If Iran, Syria, and other countries become an issue, I do hope we don't go at it alone unless we are given no other option.

lunacydetector 9 years, 5 months ago

It is being reported that psychiatrists in states won by John Kerry have had a dramatic increase in people desiring mind altering drug prescriptions.

Hmmmm.

Is this why they call democrats the "Loony Left?"

one pill makes you stronger and another makes you small and the one that mother gives you doesn't do anything at all.

The mothers won. Deal with it you big babies.

Savage 9 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm... I think most of us addressed this question yesterday with the 5 stages of grief. Jeesh.

mrcairo 9 years, 5 months ago

Well what it boils down to for me is this, I will lose about $12,000 of my income this year because my health insurance is going to cost me about $7,500 more per year. Coupled with rising costs in gasoline and heating this winter, plus the rising costs of everything else, that little $344.00 dollar tax break doesn't do much for me.

I now have to think about moving to Canada or New Zealand to save my children from an eventual draft, as G.W. will probably invade Iran, Syria, etc. to protect Haliburton.

tell_it_like_it_is 9 years, 5 months ago

After thinking it over maybe its just as well he won. Hey Iraq is his mess let him clean it up. Plus given another four years to screw up....well hey maybe folks will wise up and see things the way they are.

mr_daniels 9 years, 5 months ago

Post election stress...heck I live for this and I do not gloat!

Found this quote:

"Gee, what might've happened to all the young voters? Well, consider this: You're not allowed to vote unless you've passed your 18th birthday. Inorder to have any bithdays at all, you have to have been born. And over the past 30 years or so, many Americans have ended up not being born." James Taranto, Opinion Journal

And the Democrats lament the loss of the election!

Peace and good day all!

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

HELP!!!! I'M BEING DISCRIMINATED AGAINST!! THE L J WORLD IS A SOCIALIST ORGANIZATION!!!!

Richard Heckler 9 years, 5 months ago

You bet I'm disappointed to say the least. That being said I know GW can only do another 4 long years. The best any of us on my side of this can IMO is to keep in contact with moderates on both side of the aisle to urge keeping GW reined in a bit. This was not a mandate by any stretch of the imagination. If a draft is implemented all of those who supported GW will then be affected. Perhaps it's a good thing John Kerry did not get elected because that Iraq situation is one huge bebacle. Marines are now asking for an exit strategy and equipment they should have had in the beginning. The war for oil is not making us friends now and it won't tomorrow. However I cannot pull up stakes and leave unless the whole family is willing to do so...I am not willing to leave them behind. GW Bush made many of the same promises that were made his first time around. I think the electronic voting devices did the job for him. These electronic voting devices should not be used as a few machines were found to be voting republican no matter what. Computers screw up,can be manipulated and simply break down which make them an unviable option for the election process...a matter far too important. Why would anyone be opposed to voting machines producing a copy of ones voting choices??

Much needs to be changed in campaign finance as GW was allowed to spend too much money as some other legislators did. At the national level representatives on all sides of the aisle spend 6 hours a day raising money for the next election cycle. The President and representatives are far too distracted from their work because of money for their next bid. Voters it's up to us because too many of our our elected officials lack self discipline...yes this is what drives the need for more rules and regulation. A $20 million cap on presidential bids period, $300k on house and senate and $60k on state goverment house and senate, $250k for the governors race. An absolute ban on character assination ads no exceptions.

Locally my side of the aisle did reasonably well.

Hi_Jinks 9 years, 5 months ago

Post-election stress?---Is that like "Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder"?

I would imagine that if one or more of the candidates you voted for won, then you would probably be feeling pretty good right about now. No stress, no anxiety, no depression. Since most of the candidates I voted for won....I feel okay today.

It would seem to me that this question is for those who didn't get to experience the thrill of seeing their candidate(s) win.

consumer1 9 years, 5 months ago

I am thrilled that real concern for the American way of life prevailed. I am concerned locally. Because the majority of democrats voted strait democrat ticket, they overlooked the effects of experienced individuals who know how to run local Government offices. Instead, they wanted to make a pointless point. There will be fallout locally due to the many temporary residents living in Lawrence who voted the strait ticket. The effects will be here causing havock for some time after they have moved on. This is irrisponsible politics. One of the curses in living in a Psuedo intellectual town where weak minds are easily manipulated. I do wish good luck to those taking over new local offices and also good luck to those who live in Lawrence full time, you will need it.

hoof_hearted 9 years, 5 months ago

edwin: right on Bro!!!!

blackwalnut: cry baby!!!

blackwalnut 9 years, 5 months ago

I fear for our country, and I mourn what could have been.

Edwin 9 years, 5 months ago

I do not understand how Lulu can even look herself in the mirror after supporting that blow dried, blow hard John Kerry. John Kerry, just like in Viet Nam, did not even have the guts to face his supporters after he lost the race around 3:00am in Boston. Some 30,000 of his supporters stood in the rain/mist in 40 degree weather waiting for him to address them as he had promised. Instead, this gutless coward sent pretty boy Edwards out to do his work for him.

I guess John Kerry did not have time to run a poll to see which side of the fence he should fall off of this time.

Shame on you Lulu.