Previous   Next

What is the best food to barbecue?

Asked at South Park on June 5, 2004

Browse the archives

“Have you ever had barbecued turkey? It’s really good. It’s the best turkey I’ve ever had.”

“I’m going with something strange, but tofu hamburger patties. They hold seasoning a lot better than regular beef.”

“Organic lamb with a homemade pesto sauce.”

“Beef. Steak.”

Comments

DirtyLinen 6 years, 2 months ago

jkr1739 (Anonymous) says:

"Most of you are not talking about barbecuing, you're talking about "grilling". Theres a big difference."

Some people were talking seriously about various meats. Some people were speaking humorously of such things as soup or cereal.

There's a difference.

madmike 6 years, 2 months ago

TOFu? Well, each to his own I guess.

prospector 6 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie, I clicked on the next/previous in the Turnpike OTS and came across that one. Many more empty oldies lurk, so go find one. I saw Jonas was one of the earliest participates on OTS back in the olden 'putin OTS days with very few comment. Again, a cyber bow to Jonas.

Don't need no flux capacitor. You can get one here if you have other plans to go back and fix things. Let me know, I have a list.

jkr1739 6 years, 2 months ago

The question asks what is the best food to barbecue. First of all Barbecue is a dish consisting of a whole, or part of, an animal (usually pig) slow cooked over a smoldering fire or smoke for a long period of time. Most of you are not talking about barbecuing, you're talking about "grilling". Theres a big difference. The best foods to barbeque, in my opinion, are Pork Boston Butts (pulled pork) and Beef Briskets. Both of these, smoked over hickory at about 250 degrees for about 12 hours, produce some of the best barbeque you could imagine. Pork spareribs cooked in the same fasion (but only for 7-8 hours) are also very good. Anyone can "grill", but it takes time, patience, and practice to be able to produce good "barbecue".

Gootsie 6 years, 2 months ago

This is just too weird. Prospector, how did this article come up for you to be first responder?

Looks like I'd better work on my flux capacitor.

prospector 6 years, 2 months ago

Jonas, you are right, I should have given you attribution.

/Bow head

JJE007 6 years, 2 months ago

I didn't read the article but... Does barbecue even EAT? In any case, even if it's alive when it gets a dry rub, it couldn't possibly appreciate the flavor of what it tastes once it's being burned alive due to all that smoke! This is just silly.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 2 months ago

Anything! ~~ except tofu!

(Sure am glad all these old OTS questions are being reborn today!!)

Eric Neuteboom 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm with you, River!

Since I'm making this tonight, brats (simmered for an hour before in beer) along with some grilled onions.

riverdrifter 6 years, 2 months ago

Back ribs. Beef tenderloins. Put tofu on my grill and it gets thrown off the damn deck.

jonas 6 years, 2 months ago

Prospector: You took my line. Cuuuuurrrrrsssseesss!!!

/shakes fist

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 2 months ago

Holy Cow. Another Time Warp question. We better get a physicist in here to figure out what has been going on. Something is starting to unravel in our universe.

BABBOY 6 years, 2 months ago

Ribs!!! Try Oklahoma Joes in KC!!!

Kathy Getto 6 years, 2 months ago

First mate makes a mean pork loin on the barby - he has damned good loins, too. :-)

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 2 months ago

Pigs tell me bovine and bovine tell me pigs. Dems tell me Reps.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 2 months ago

beans... lil boogers are hard to keep on the rack tho..... hope everyone had a wonderful day today

DirtyLinen 6 years, 2 months ago

Preferably something bigger than the spaces in the grill....

And soup's not a good idea, either. Forget Jello and pudding, too.

And whichever kind of meat you prefer, it's better to kill it first ... stays on the grill better that way.