Previous   Next

Have you ever adopted a child to give presents to?

Asked at Java Break, 17 E. Seventh St. on December 23, 2004

Browse the archives

“I was this close, but I’m too poor to buy presents for my own family.”

“Yes, I did. They had ornaments on the tree at church. I picked a 3-year-old boy. He’s the same age as my son, so I knew just what to get him.”

“Yes. I adopted a family from school. I got the kids remote-control cars and a bike.”

“I adopted one with a company that I was working for as part of a Christmas program.”

Comments

Jayhawk226 10 years ago

Is there a single Mizzou individual with a heart? Just one?

Haymaker 10 years ago

Well crap, you should have at least kept the X Box.

nicegirl 10 years ago

We used to adopt a family every year at my previous employer. It was a lot of fun to go buy things and know that their Christmas will be just a little better.

ms_canada: Thank you for the cold arctic air you sent our way! (ha ha ha).

ms_canada 10 years ago

Yes, I adopted a young lad through Foster Parents Plan of Canada. He lived in La Paz, Bolivia, was 5 years old and I had him for 11 years. Sent him lots of gifts and supported him and his mother and two sisters for all that time. His name was Marcelino Mamani. Golly, I haven't thought of him for a long time. I still have a stack of his letters and drawings that he sent me. When he turned 16 F.P.P. took him off their rolls. I did miss his letters. I always planned to go see him, but never did and regret it.

badger 10 years ago

Jayhawk226:

Yes, there is. My 'adopted' brother, who not only attended but now works for Mizzou, is locally active in charities in Columbia. He has many friends who are also active with local organizations that help families, feed and house the homeless, and support people trying to make ends meet. There's not 'just one' Mizzou person with a heart. There are thousands.

They have an extremely active chapter of Habitat for Humanity, and having lived in that city for several years and volunteered with the Regional AIDS Interfaith Network (a nondenominational faith-based organization that provided and coordinated not only AIDS education and education about treatment, but compassionate care for people in hospice, housecleaning and pet care services for the terminally ill, counseling for people coping with HIV, and general aid and comfort to the dying), I can tell you that they are very open to helping others as much as they can.

As to the question itself, I have participated in adopting families a few times through work, and this year I took the fifty dollars I came in under budget on my Holiday shopping, and bought toys for Toys for Tots. Every year for the last six or eight years, any amount of my holiday budget left over goes to help a stranger's Christmas. But I certainly couldn't afford to adopt a whole family myself. That would be more than my entire holiday budget.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 10 years ago

True story: Two years ago my coworkers and I adopted a family to buy gifts for. We received a list with the names of four adults and five kids. We went all out and got clothes, toys, etc for everyone. We even bought an X-Box video game system for the kids. Three of us went to the house to drop off the gifts around lunch time one day and found three of the adults sitting around the kitchen table drinking beer. They said, "Just put the presents over there in the corner." We dropped off the gifts and never got a "thank you" from anyone in the house. That was the last time we decided to adopt a family for the holidays.

acg 10 years ago

The same thing happened to us this year ascot/dickie. We adopted two families thru work. One in Douglas Co. thru the Ballard Ctr. and one in Shawnee Co. The Ballard Ctr. folks were very appreciative, which they generally are (great people out there, btw) but the Shawnee Co. fam blew my mind. The mother (it was a single mother with 5 kids) was diagnosed with uterine cancer so when we got her info we were all like "wow, she's really deserving". She showed up at my office to pick up the loot, smoking a cigarette, was totally rude to us when she walked in the door, flicked her butt on the steps outside. We showed her where the pile of gifts was sitting and she made some sort of smart assed crack about how she was supposed to get it all into the car by herself and then we helped her load it. Then she drove off without any word of any kind. No thanks, have a nice day, kiss my butt or nothing. That is also the last time we adopt families. I don't mind helping out the needy and I understand they don't want to be embarrassed or humiliated by coming to strangers with hat in hand, but at least act a little grateful! Jeez.