Previous   Next

Have you finished all of your holiday shopping?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 21, 2004

Browse the archives

“Yes. We got it all done yesterday. Having it out of the way lets you just window-shop without the pressure to buy.”

“I’m just starting right now. I like to wait until the last minute.”

“The only thing I’ve gotten so far is a pen for my mom. It’s exactly like one that I found in a fraternity Dumpster that she really liked. I’m going to do the rest of my shopping here in Lawrence.”

“Of course not. There are still two days left.”

Comments

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

yes nice girl, I know what you mean about that forced feeling and it just takes away some of the joy of Christmas. I was thinking about the gift giving part and wondered just how it got started. I wondered if it had something to do with the Gift that God the Father gave to His creation, man. The most precious Gift of His Son as a Savior to redeem us from the penalty of our sins. Could that have been the first gift? That to me is what Christmas is all about. That Gift, and I need no other. I was trying to remember how we managed to cut down on the giving. Like you, nicegirl, I used to feel so forced to shop, shop, shop. And most of the the gifts were so inappropriate in the end. It seemed so ridiculous. So as I remember we just talked about it with the more distant relatives and reasoned it out. Chances were that they felt the same way and were just as afraid to admit it and would welcome a stop to the exchanging. I hope nobody went too heavily into debt.
Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad y Propero Ano Nuevo a todos!

badger 9 years, 3 months ago

Actually, not really, HKP.

Perhaps it's true that a gift should have no strings attached, but it's also true that a gift should reflect both giver and recipient, and that the experience of giving a gift should be a shared one.

I work very hard to be conscientious in my gift-giving. I buy what local products I can, I choose gifts with a low environmental or social impact when it's possible, and I handmake at least one large gift a year (this year it's a framed item for my mother). I do not want the process of celebrating with my family and friends to compromise my personal principles, so I try to give gifts that are creative, ethically sound, and useful or beautiful or both.

My aunt and uncle are very politically active at the opposite end of the spectrum. They support many causes and ideas I could not in good conscience contribute to, and any organization I could feel comfortable supporting would be diametrically opposed to their beliefs. As I want the giving of a Holiday gift to be a positive experience for all of us, each year I rack my brains to think of something I can get them that will remind them through the year that even though we clash when we meet more often than not, I love them and I'm glad they're in my family.

Mchisdddy 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes I have got all my shopping done today. Marry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!!

nicegirl 9 years, 3 months ago

ms_canada: I wish I could convince my family to stop buying presents for everyone, just the little kids. It gets out of hand but no one listens when I suggest it. I am forced to buy gifts for everyone to avoid feeling like a cheap, inconsiderate person. Your Christmas sounds nice.

ms_canada 9 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I am all finished shopping except for some food items. In our family, we do not exchange a lot of gifts. Just immediate family, not even nieces and nephews or aunts and uncles. So you might think we have a very dull Christmas. Not so. We go to the special service at my church on Chr. eve, then home for a special meal of 12 meatless dishes (for the 12 Apostles) It is a Ukrainian custom of my husbands family. We start with a wheat, honey, poppyseed and walnut dish. Then there is cod fish, shrimp, cabbage rolls, perogies and veg dishes and desserts. Christmas morning we have a special breakfast. Then for dinner we will have turkey and goose. Must have goose, and all the trimmings. There are about 29 of us in the family so it is quite a noisy and jolly time had by all. We usually end up playing scrabble or trivial pursuit or some silly game. It sounds goofy, but it is tradition in our family. The highlight is always the part where we turn out the lights and the cook comes in with the pudding alight with warm brandy.
Funny how such silly things can mean so much year after year. Have a good holiday everyone, even you nutty posters. And hoofy too, where ever you are.

nicegirl 9 years, 3 months ago

acg: hee hee hee. I love that episode.

acg 9 years, 3 months ago

All of my fam is out of town this year. Yay! No fam obligations. We're doing festivus in my house, just to change things up. I can't wait for the airing of grievances. I have a lot of them. Next year, we're thinking of trying Hanukah, if I can somehow get the Christmas Armadillo over to explain it to the kids. :)

hugs_and_kisses 9 years, 3 months ago

Wow! Christmas is almost here! Time sure flies, doesn't it?! Seems so, anyway! Before you know it, it'll be Easter!

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 3 months ago

Badger, just a thought. If you're giving someone a gift that means that it comes with no strings attached, it should not be up to you to determine what they want to do with their gift. Hence, your reason for not giving a donation to your aunt & uncles charity choices means that it wouldn't be a gift in the first place. It would be more of a bribe...or payoff...

italianprincess 9 years, 3 months ago

Me done with shopping.......LOL You have got to be kidding. Everytime I go to a store I find something else I want to get my kids or someone else.

I won't be done until Christmas Eve, then be up until around 3 or 4 am like every year wrapping.

Shhhhhhhh........ I'm the Santa you know.

Redneckgal 9 years, 4 months ago

Thanks for the idea badger! I think I'll do just that to tie up one more of those lose ends!

fanny_farkel 9 years, 4 months ago

nope. the only thing I have left is to buy those toilet paper rolls that say "kerry/edwards". finally, a good use for all those left over bumper stickers!!!

BWABWABWABWAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

badger 9 years, 4 months ago

Almost all of my Holiday shopping is done. I need to find something for one last aunt and uncle I can never find anything for. They have, literally, everything they could ever possibly need, we don't remotely agree on charities to support, they prefer to eat out at restaurants I can't afford gift certificates to, and I've run out of cute knick-knack ideas.

I think they're getting a plant of some sort. This year's default, "I love you and wish to demonstrate with a token of some sort that you are important to me but for the life of me can't find anything meaningful" gift is a nice potted plant.

kns 9 years, 4 months ago

I got my Christmas shopping done a while ago! It's still all of that damn Kwanzaa shopping that I have left to do that is such a pain in the neck!!!

goatdog 9 years, 4 months ago

I don't celebrate christmas.

ultimate175 9 years, 4 months ago

Mr. Castanza: "Festivus begins with the airing of grievances. I've got a lot of problems with you people! Kruger, my son tells me your company stinks! You couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot babe with.....................I lost my train of thought."

The_Original_Bob 9 years, 4 months ago

I've finished all my Christmas shopping.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 9 years, 4 months ago

This holiday, I'll be making charitable donations in my friends' names to The Human Fund. I can think of nothing they'd like more.

nicegirl 9 years, 4 months ago

I still have to buy for my two sisters and some kid of a relative that I don't even know. And as for that first lady pictured, if I was done I would NOT be out window shopping! She is brave or really crazy.

Redneckgal 9 years, 4 months ago

I have a few odds and ends left but I'm getting a lot closer. I have 2 guys in the family with Christmas birthdays so that adds a little more shopping.

Au_contraire 9 years, 4 months ago

Yup, shopping all done. But me and my buds are going to go out in our SUVs anyway. We'll not go when the light turns green, we'll eratically turn without signalling. Isn't it fun to drive following a shopper to their car parked in the lot and wait blocking traffic for half an hour while the shopper frantically attempts to pack all their purchases in the trunk? "Aw, gee, just waitin' here for the spot..."