Previous   Next

What features would you like to see if the city builds a new public library?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 19, 2004

Browse the archives

“They should build it around a coffee shop or cafe atmosphere. Students need a quiet and comfortable place to study. Sometimes regular coffee shops are too noisy, but I think that studying should be a somewhat social activity.”

“I would like the largest reference section they can build. They should model it after the library in Johnson County.”

“Internet access. I think they underestimate how much people depend on libraries to use computers.”

“I think they need lots of computers for students who don’t have them. They also need large sections for children and teenagers, so it can be a fun place for them to be.”

Comments

mdecoste 10 years ago

Sorry about the spelling--just a type-o.

Richard Heckler 10 years ago

Topeka and Johnson County receive rave reviews for their libraries. Expanding the childrens section will always be useful. Perhaps two more meeting rooms.

A coffee shop with plenty of juice and water choices accompanied with a small menu to include 2 or 3 veggie choices.

MORE ROOM FOR STUDYOF COURSE

legolas1996 10 years ago

Hey KNS. I dont appreciate your comments about Wendy. I went to High School with her and she doesnt deserve that. She deserves better than that.

reenum 10 years ago

I think they should build the new library on the south side of town. The parking would be a lot easier to work out, and then patrons would have a library location on each side of the city that they could go to.

lunacydetector 10 years ago

spend, spend, spend....what about a virtual library that people can access through their home computer? google is going to do it for 5 libraries in the u.s. -perhaps we could access into one of those libraries, and they wouldn't have to build jack.

mrcairo 10 years ago

The Library should house sophisticated technology centers, a museum, a coffee shop, training centers, meeting rooms, etc etc etc.

I wonder if the Library Board realizes that the wages they pay up there are pitiful. Did you know that a Childrens Librarian makes less money than any other Librarian at Lawrence Public? As if children were less important??? Is that the message the board is sending?

Get real, Librarians are PROFESSIONALS who need to be compensated accordingly.

Beck Wilson 10 years ago

The Google-based virtual library's a good tool to have, but it can't replace a real library. Not everyone can afford a home computer and Internet access. Even computers within the library aren't the entire answer, as they're only useful when the library's open.

Also, tangentally, a lot of people don't seem to realize that there can a lot more to Internet research than simply plugging a search term into Google. Librarians can help with that.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 10 years ago

Apparently, they need to include more dictionaries at the library so some of you can learn how to spell...

Please, somebody tell me, what is an "excalator"?!

Beck, did you mean "tangentially"?!

Savage 10 years ago

I think it would be a good thing if public libraries abroad did open a lunch/coffee shop. It would be a good way to help raise money for books and perhaps create a few new jobs as well.

mdecoste 10 years ago

I would like to see the area for gyneology expanded with better copying facilites and a real place to work, with computer excess and better micro film readers. I also think that this needs to be more handicapped accessible. The records and books are not even shelved properly at the present time.

I would also like to see more handicapped parking, more public meeting areas, and additional staff. Of course, technology needs to be updated. A multi-level facility with elavators, excalators, etc. with display areas and traveling exibitions would bring Lawrence's library up to date and carry us into the future. Has anyone seen the web-site for the library in Mt. Clemons, Michigan? That would be an excellent model to follow.