Previous   Next

Should Kansas University prevent scalpers from selling tickets on campus?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on December 10, 2004

Browse the archives

“If they are clearly scalping several tickets for a profit, then they should prevent it.”

“If people are asking for the face value, then they should let them do it. Preventing people from scalping on campus may stop the problem there, but they can still sell them elsewhere.”

“Yes, I do. I don’t believe that anyone should be allowed to scalp tickets for any reason.”

“I think anything that people are doing that is dishonest should be prevented. They should start cracking down on scalpers.”

Comments

jonas 10 years, 8 months ago

Isn't there already a group of scalpers allowed to sell tickets on campus, and isn't their group's name the Athletics Department?

pimp11 10 years, 8 months ago

mrcairo...you are a fckin dipsht. mangino is turning this program around and thats what you got to say about him. f*ck off

Adam 10 years, 8 months ago

I think the term "scalping" is offensive. In this pc world of ours, I think the proper term should be "reselling". Both of which I agree with allowing. Tickets are simply goods, and therefore should be allowed to be sold at whatever price the market will bear.

Au_contraire 10 years, 8 months ago

Why would KU want to stop 'scalpers' from selling tickets on campus? What's up with that? Are they concerned with the dress code or something?

No. KU should not stop the selling / giving away of tickets on campus.

Aren't our roots, after all, in being a free state?

Jayhawk226 10 years, 8 months ago

great observation original bob...makes you wonder why they even came to the game in the first place

mrcairo 10 years, 8 months ago

I don't know why anyone would even pay face value for a ticket, let alone more. I say let the free-market economy dictate the price people will pay.

KU is restricting free trade. Not very Republican.

I agree with Jonas - didn't KU recently raise the price of long time ticket holders to $5,000.00 or more? Talk about scalpers. Ka Jeeeeeeeeeeez.

If they wanna raise money, how about getting that fat football coach to auction off pounds.

Bad_Brad 10 years, 8 months ago

Anything that prevents a perfectly willing buyer from hooking up with a perfectly willing seller is something that I am opposed to. Why do so-called "scalpers" ask for such a high price for tickets right outside the Fieldhouse? Because someone out there is willing to pay that price! Why is it the government's business to tell that buyer, "no, you can't pay that price - we, the government, know better than you how you should spend your money." More nanny-statism. Of course, given the direction that we've been going in this country for the better part of the last half century, no one should be surprised.

Au_contraire 10 years, 8 months ago

Oh, wait a minute. Now that the big corporate ticket-holders have to pass by the 'lowly' ticket sellers, it undermines the prestige of impressing clients with how difficult it is to get seats. If the decision is made to discontinue allowing ticket sellers on campus, that is the reason why.

Jayhawk226 10 years, 8 months ago

i've purchased my tickets from online brokers...

...this way I didn't make a trip all the way to Allen Fieldhouse, park the car, get my excitment level up to watch a basketball game...

...and then find out there are no more tickets for sale outside, or worse yet, two seats for $250 each.

And by the way, I have several tickets for sale for Villanova vs. Syracuse and Villanova vs. Notre Dame purchased through a damn game ticket package just to watch KU vs. Villanova. Any takers? Should I call Lew Perkins and solicit him at his office, just to see how he'd greet me?

Speaking of Lew, I actually haven't had any problems with him yet...but why do I picture him operating within Allen Fieldhouse and his adjoining office like Mr. Potter in It's A Wonderful Life...all he seems to need to me is a wheelchair and less hair. Odd.

kansas 10 years, 8 months ago

I think people should be able to sell their tickets to someone else if they want to, assuming they paid for them in the first place! What's the big deal, anyway? Also, I couldn't help but notice that everyone's wearing glasses today! Hmmm......You don't see that very often, do you?

craigers 10 years, 8 months ago

If the scalpers have season tickets, then I think they should be able to factor in the donation they had to make to the Williams fund as part of the ticket price. Who really cares if the scalpers are there? If you go to the game without a ticket and hope to buy one, then you will probably be taken advantage of by a scalper and pay dearly for a ticket. I think a couch or lazy chair is a better seat anyway and you don't have to worry about somebody next to you smelling!!!!

Fishman 10 years, 8 months ago

You've got to be kidding! I can't believe the athletic department can keep a straight face when they managed to pay their attorneys enough to make their extortion legal. How stupid do you think the fans are anyway!!!!!! You've got b**** Lew Perkins. The tickets are NOT, I repeat NOT sold for face value, except in the few instances where you moved long time faculty season tickets holders to the upper corners. The so called extortion donation IS part of the ticket price, and you know it. I love KU basketball, but I hope they lose every game for the rest of the season! Let's use this chant at Allen this weekend! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!!! PAY LEW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Savage 10 years, 8 months ago

You cant stop the scalpers. Maybe just outside of the fieldhouse you can. they will just end up relocating downtown or where-ever. Next thing you know, they'll be banning garage sales. Maybe a solution would be to require them to get a licence for lets say 50 bucks and pay 7% sales tax on the profits if they could sell them for more than face value. Wow! Democracy in action. What a concept