Previous   Next

Should Kansas legislators enact a covenant marriage bill?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on December 5, 2004

Browse the archives

“I would say no, because if they can go to another state and get divorced, then there isn’t much point.”

“That sounds like a great way to reduce the divorce rate. I think there should be counseling required before you get married.”

“I don’t know that it ought to be a law, but I like the idea. Anything we can do to strengthen the institution.”

“In general, I’m not sure it’s the state’s position to legislate our lives, but I would like to see some developments that would make marriages more meaningful.”

Comments

Bud Fuller 9 years, 9 months ago

I would think the legislators would have something more pressing like budget or gay marriages . I can hear you liberals already, that guy has homophobia.......... Well you are still suffering from PEST.

Anyway, it appears it is an option that few will sign up for when getting a marriage license. That being the case let them pass the bill and get it through the process in a couple of hours and get on to some pressing matter that will make a differences.

jonas 9 years, 9 months ago

Yes, thank you government, for again tryig to protect us from ourselves. Let us avoid any personal responsability for our own moral development or character growth by allowing you to become our ultimate parent figure, because we lack the will and the reasoning to make strong commitments or good choices on our own.

Does the possibility ever occur to ANYONE that what laws like this really do is atrophe our own personal ability to make reasoned choices and adopt sound principles of our own? It makes the government our second parent, except this time we never move out of the basement.

Consider why, since all of the services and covenents listed in this law are already available, would it be helpful to have people voluntarily have their government FORCE them to do it. Why can't they do it on their own? Are we to accept an excuse such as "I didn't have the willpower to stick with it on my own," as being valid or even admirable?

Aargh,I'm gonna stop, cuz the more I think about this the more it pisses me off. Our society is going straight to hell. I can practically sit back and watch it happen.

Richard Heckler 9 years, 9 months ago

I do not consider legislators as the moral giants of our time. They ought to leave the marriage issue alone and get on the more important issues of school funding, alternative energy(new jobs) and affordable health care. I'll never understand why voters turn to legislators for moral guidance.

As far as medical coverage is concerned everyone who lives in one house could be covered on a policy...essentially that's the way it is with mother,father and children. Why must anyone be related through marriage to obtain medical coverage as a dependent. The definition of dependents needs a change.

Another issue that could use some attention is speeding trucks. Reducing highway speeds for trucks and triple fines for truckers who follow to close. Other states along highway 70 and other interstates have truck speeds at 55 and 60 between here and the east coast. Some dictate that trucks must remain in the right lane. It is also obvious that state troopers enforce the law these particular states.

remember_username 9 years, 9 months ago

I had to find the article so figure out what they were talking about. A covenant marriage bill is way over the top. Kansas will have a ban on same sex marriages, but heterosexuals will have two kinds of marriage? That's nuts. When two people take the vows aren't they already promising to do everything they can to make it work? If you want to limit your legal reasons for a divorce get a pre-nupt.

Good grief, Kathy Decker, how are you going to define "reasonable steps"? You're saying a mandatory two-year separation even in the case of adultery, or better yet, even if your spouse tried to have you killed?

For the most part I have found Kansans to be polite, friendly, and good at heart. But some of you are just plan scary - please quit electing the scary ones!

mrcairo 9 years, 9 months ago

I dunno. As soon as gay marriage becomes OK I may want to divorce my wife and leave my children. I'm sure as soon as something like this becomes law I'm going to wreck my Traditional Marriage.

I can feel it creeping up on me already. I feel like packing my bags after reading the article. What will happen if it becomes law. I'll leave them I just know I will.

rhd99 9 years, 9 months ago

Let's be honest here, folks. I am not homophobic nor do I condone same sex marriages. I will tell you right now that our Legislature wherever it goes on this issue gets an F for failing to fund our schools!! The Republicans don't like raising taxes, but then how are the schools going to function without money. Are tax increases appropriate to fund schools? They might be appropriate, but they are not popular, I realize. This whole same sex marriage issue won't go away, but it certainly will sap the energy out of the Legislature in 2005 from getting appropriate spending measures enacted to keep Kansas competitive. It's all about priorities, folks. Gov. Sebelius is pretty much doing a great job, but she needs to step it up & veto the non-essential bills like this same sex legislation proposal that is under discussion, & sign into law the legislation that funds CRUCIAL programs that keep this great state alive.

Bud Fuller 9 years, 9 months ago

If schools would stop trying to out do each other in building the biggest and best sports arena, then they would have money for their real existence and that is to educate in the classroom. I will be in the capitol almost every day letting the various committees know how I feel about paying to babysit the kids with every sport known to man. I am all for best in the world classroom, but tired of sending these idiot high school graduates out on the street and all they know is how to play a good game of golf.

rhd99 9 years, 9 months ago

I understand where you come from, PigFarmer. That is the trick, isn't it? Athletics seem to take priority over everything else in our schools. As far as I am concerned, these politicians can pay for their pet programs all by themselves. They have their own little war chests full of money. You & I keep hearing about how the people have to pay. Well, it's time that the politicians that fund pet programs that cost more than their worth, like the same sex marriage proposal up for discussion, they can pay for that themselves. If they won't pay, or can't afford it, then the program is scrapped from the laws of this state. I am tired of paying for politicians' screw ups! If all of us would crowd the State House in Topeka, that would get their attention!

Liberty 9 years, 9 months ago

What is marriage? It is an agreement between God and man, the joining together of a man and a woman in a pure (holy) union for the rest of their life on the earth to be faithful to each other and to God. There is no license from God but you are seeking God's approval and spiritual bond and blessing on the joining together of two lives into one life together till death do you part. The Dad gives away his daughter in a marriage ceremony to reassign the spiritual headship that he had over his daughter (seeing that she is properly taught about God's word from her new spiritual head or future husband) over to the Godly faith believing new husband in the marriage. The reason the State of Kansas intrudes and wants you to take their marriage license, is so they can make it a three way agreement (covenant) and have partial interest of the product of that marriage, such as your children (for such things like a draft to fight in a war). God never said to go get a license from the State government to condon the agreement of marriage that God invented (God does not require the State's approval). Marriage is about raising up Godly children to the Lord and not to men and serving Him. Marriage between two of the same gender simply does not exist because God never created that type of union for blessing because it does not reproduce after it's own kind.

jonas 9 years, 9 months ago

Liberty: That's pretty whacked out. And totally off base, at least in my opinion. Marriage, to the best of my knowledge, has virtually always started out as a secular, legal binding, not a religious one. What do you suggest if, say two atheists, or, hypothetically, one atheist and one non-god-centric deist want to get married? Would we then be unable to do so in your viewpoint?

rhd99 9 years, 9 months ago

Liberty, God did not condone discrimination. I value your opinion, but I do not like the fact that people who are different from you & me are judged unfairly. Our legislature is about to take the low road toward isolationism & discrimination. The legislation the Republicans in Topeka want to press is as unAmerican as it comes.