Previous   Next

What is your opinion of the tap water in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 27, 2004

Browse the archives

“I think that water is water. I’ll drink it as long as it’s clear.”

“I don’t drink it, and I don’t like it.”

“I would say that it could always be better. It is essential that everyone have access to clean water.”

Comments

simon 10 years, 11 months ago

The water definitely tastes funny. I ended up picking up a cheap water filter jug, after which it tasted fine.

Savage 10 years, 11 months ago

I think Lawrence Water quality is better than other cities water I have tasted over the years, but taste is only half the battle.

Flouride, Chlorine, Pesticides, Bacteria (ever becoming antibiotic resistant). Yes and now they are saying prozac is in out water supply at detectable levels.

I would imagine there may come a day when current water facilities cant keep up. The problem is, will we as consumers that PAY for water find out before some overload of any unsafe ingredients make it to our taps and showers?

I try to drink at least filtered, or store bought bottled, or "pour your own" with the machine (UV, Carbon, filters) at Dillards etc...

Any one who says these points of view are unfounded are just simply out of touch with reality.

Savage 10 years, 11 months ago

off topic (oh well)

Hey Zemansky (local cover story)? Im a vet too, quite a bit younger than you though. Thanks for serving, but have you seen the lastes swift vet ad? Perhaps there not all lying. Im sure if ljw would not have found a guy to represent their view they would have tried KC or some other town to find some-one who supported this view. Fairness in the paper? How about running a story entitled... " Local Vet(s) support swifties?" Not here though, no way! Am I right? Just trying to be fair here.

galileo 10 years, 11 months ago

Has anyone else noticed that if Lawrence water is left standing in a glass there is a pinkish residue that remains?

Lulu 10 years, 11 months ago

I like the drinking water at the Merc and NEVER touch the tainted tap water from our antiquated water supply.

Hi_Jinks 10 years, 11 months ago

For a while I noticed that my tap water appeared kind of "whitish/cloudy" in color. Then I put a filter on my kitchen faucet--and what do you know?! My tap water is clear as a bell! I can see right through the glass now!! Don't ask me what the "cloudiness" was all about!!

jonas 10 years, 11 months ago

The water's only bad if you let yourself get use to better fare. I figure why spend the extra money? To this date, I have never gotten sick off of water.

BigGuy 10 years, 11 months ago

I figure that it's better than the water in my hometown. My hometown sits on top of a salt mine. I probably exceeded my sodium limit for my entire lifetime before I turned 2. Like Jonas said, the water here hasn't made me sick yet so I guess I'll keep pressing my luck.

Waterchef 3 years, 9 months ago

I think anyone who drinks tap water without filtering it is insane! Just my 2 cents.