- After shocking diagnosis, Lawrence couple thankful for successful cancer treatment
- November 19, 2017
- This certainly has been one of those years for Bob and Anne Schulman. As we approach Thanksgiving, the Lawrence couple are more than thankful that Bob is alive, and that he and Anne have had time together — to take a cruise, to be with family and friends and to celebrate their 20th wedding anniversary. To live his life.
- Move over, dodgeball: Schools pump up phys ed with choices
- November 17, 2017
- You won’t find gym class on the schedule in upstate New York’s Victor school district. What you will see: kayaking, rock climbing, mountain biking, dance, self-defense, archery and in-line skating — all under the heading of physical education.
- Tobacco 21 Task Force launches with goal of raising tobacco-purchasing age to 21; public meeting set for Thursday
- November 13, 2017
- In an effort to decrease the number of young people using tobacco products, the Lawrence-Douglas County Health Department is launching a Lawrence Tobacco 21 Task Force.
- Healthy Outlook: Have fun to get fit
- And what’s even better than fun? Free fun.
- November 12, 2017
- It’s never easy when the time comes to say goodbye and move on. It’s difficult letting go of what you’ve come to know so well; what you’ve built a life around. When you resolve to cut ties with your couch, or at least spend more time apart, it’s not always easy to stay away. That’s why it can be so helpful to get started with a fitness routine that’s actually fun.
- Drugstore pain pills as effective as opioids in ER patients, study concludes
- November 8, 2017
- Emergency rooms are where many patients are first introduced to powerful opioid painkillers, but what if doctors offered over-the-counter pills instead? A new study tested that approach on patients with broken bones and sprains and found pain relievers sold as Tylenol and Motrin worked as well as opioids at reducing severe pain.
- Gold medalist Billy Mills to return to Lawrence for 10K, meet-and-greet
- November 7, 2017
- Olympic gold medalist Billy Mills and his wife Pat will be in town this weekend to participate in the second annual Billy Mills 10K at Haskell Indian Nations University.
- Quitting smoking is an achievable goal — here are some tips to make it happen
- November 5, 2017
- So you’ve decided to quit smoking. This is it. Congratulations! Now, you’re trying to decide when would be the right time. Definitely before your next birthday. But how about quitting a little earlier, maybe this month? At least for a day.