Archive for Monday, November 20, 2017

Lawrence City Commission to consider banning people from openly carrying guns in city buildings

Lawrence City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St., is pictured on May 3, 2016.

Lawrence City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St., is pictured on May 3, 2016.

November 20, 2017

At its meeting Tuesday, the Lawrence City Commission will decide whether to ban people from openly carrying firearms in city buildings.

The city attorney’s office is recommending the commission adopt the ordinance, which would prohibit open carry in the 40-plus buildings owned or leased by the city and put in place penalties for those who violate the ban.

The city currently prohibits the carrying of concealed and unconcealed firearms in city buildings under a temporary exemption to the state’s Personal and Family Protection Act, according to a city staff memo to the commission. In order to continue banning openly carried weapons, the city will have to obtain and post certain signs.

The proposed ordinance establishes a penalty for people who enter a city building with such signs posted while openly carrying a firearm and refuse to leave after being asked. Those people would be guilty of aggravated criminal trespass, a misdemeanor, according to the ordinance. Those convicted could be incarcerated for up to a year, fined up to $2,500 or both.

However, there is no sign the city can post to ban concealed weapons. Beginning in January, if the city wants to prohibit concealed weapons from spaces such as City Hall, the Lawrence Public Library or the Municipal Court, it must provide much more security.

State law allows people to have concealed weapons in public buildings that don’t have metal detectors and security guards at all entrances. Even for just a handful of buildings, the city has estimated those equipment and personnel costs would amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars annually.

Currently, the only building used by the city that will be able to completely ban guns — whether carried openly or concealed — is the Douglas County Judicial and Law Enforcement Center. That building already has guards and metal detectors in place at its entrance.

The City Commission will convene at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall, 6 E. Sixth St.

Comments

Deborah Snyder 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Thank you. For me, an open-carry would heighten a feeling of intimidation, and would almost certainly prevent me from speaking at the podium. I understand and accept that concealed carry exists and would be in use. But it wouldn't pose the same aggression that an openly displayed weapon would.

Brock Masters 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I get what you’re saying. It’s kinda like we know everyone has a butt, but that doesn’t mean we want to see it in public 🙂

Since no permit is required for concealed carry they can conceal it when in the building.

Only question I have is can the City actually adopt such an ordinance under state law?

Brock Masters 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Your link is for concealed carry but I looked up the preemption law and yes it does allow this.

Zachary Stoltenberg 3 weeks, 2 days ago

It's called the supremacy clause, and no, they can't. State law trumps city ordinance and state law allows for open carrying of firearms anywhere that is deemed "public". The city will waste an inordinate amount of time and money on attorneys pushing a "feel good" policy that does nothing.

Ray Rhodes 3 weeks, 1 day ago

state law only applies to concealed carry if they don't have metal detectors and armed security. They can ban open carry under the law just be posting signs..

Ray Rhodes 3 weeks, 1 day ago

yes under open carry can be banned by posting signs,. they have to allow concealed carry unless there is metal detectors and armed security

Bob Summers 3 weeks, 3 days ago

There are lot of emotionally hypersensitive people out there that will be paralyzed at the sight of a firearm.

There are no two ways about it. People in government must protect their faithful hoi polloi from their own perceived aggression fantasies.

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 3 days ago

while both concealed carry doesnt bother me, i think open carry is just plain stupid. I know its allowed, but seriously, there is no need to open carry. all it says to me is that you are compensating for the lack of something (not safety).

Bill Turner 3 weeks, 3 days ago

The open carry law is really only there to prevent concealed carriers from getting into trouble if their firearm is accidentally exposed. There aren't a lot of people who have enough interest to actually participate in carrying carrying a firearm. There are fewer who are going to open carry, largely because it violates societal norms. I suspect that the only time you're going to see someone open carry is if they wish to make a political statement, and if that's the case, they're not the ones who are going to try to start something.

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 3 days ago

yeah...i can count on one hand the amount of times that i have seen someone open carrying. still stupid though.

Geoff Ermlap 3 weeks, 3 days ago

On the other hand, it might be better to require open carry and have an ordinance against concealed weapons, otherwise you just have to assume everyone has a gun. At least you would know what your up against. There are people who use the open carry to intimidate or bully because who would want to have an altercation with them if they have a gun even if your interaction with them may be unavoidable.

Kathleen Christian 3 weeks, 3 days ago

I am saying now that if I saw a person in a building, store, gas station, anywhere with a gun I would panic and scream out "gun, take cover" as I drop to the ground or found a place to take cover and call 911. I haven't thought about people carrying concealed while out in public, until now because of the recent news which have made it more a reality. I am beginning to praise online shopping and food deliveries more and more as I frequent public places less and less, because people are becoming more crazed in society because of the lack of the wisdom of God in their lives. People, media & government think they rein over life and death and have decided what is good and bad behavior on their own merits and beliefs away from biblical wisdom.

Brock Masters 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Oh please let me be there when you do it.....just visualizing you shrieking and crawling on the ground looking for a hiding place makes me LOL.

Now that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t keep an eye on the person but I’m not going to panic and in the meantime panic others unnecessarily.

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 2 days ago

i think maybe you need to see a psychiatrist for your delusional paranoia.

Josh Berg 3 weeks, 2 days ago

I would like to argue that usually the majority of people who are pro guns are also pro life and pro God. At least I know a large handful of great citizens who pray before meals, attend Church and carry a gun to protect themselves and only for that. Look at the guy in Texas who saved many lives at a Church because he was a law abiding gun owner.

I think you should re-evaluate your tactics for when you see a gun. People will think you are crazy if you continually call the police on law abiding citizens.

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 1 day ago

pro life and pro god have nothing to do with this. leave those two items out of this discussion.

Greg Cooper 3 weeks ago

So, at what point, Josh, do we decide to ignore any person carrying a gun in plain sight in public? I, personally, would prefer a thousand calls to the police about a person carrying a gun in plain sight than one more senseless death at the hands of one who wasn't called in.

By the way, the guy in Texas didn't really save anyone. He was shot as he was leaving the area, as I understand it.

Josh Berg 3 weeks ago

The guy in Texas shot the bad guy as the bad guy was leaving. Apparently you are not good at understanding

Greg Cooper 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Damn, Josh. Here is my statement: " He was shot as he was leaving the area, as I understand it." Now, what about that is different from: "The guy in Texas shot the bad guy as the bad guy was leaving."

Reading comprehension much?

Josh Berg 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Alright so let's think this out for a second. Assume a hypothetical situation that the city does ban open carry then anyone who would of open carried will now conceal carry in those places. Therefore, this will change nothing and yet the commission is going to spend time debating it and coming up with ideas when they could be fixing actual problems around the city? Sounds like Soden and the commission need some more to work on.

Cille King 3 weeks, 2 days ago

When you talk about open carry - I get an image of someone in military garb, with an ammunition belt, and a large military style gun - something I don't want on our streets or in our public buildings. After all, this is America, not Syria.

Bob Smith 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Not many people will be carrying belt-fed weapons on a daily basis in Lawrence. I think you can safely put that image out of your mind.

Josh Berg 3 weeks, 2 days ago

Have you ever seen anyone going Rambo in downtown Lawrence? Are you liberals just delusional now?

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 1 day ago

open carry simply means that you have a gun in a holster that is not concealed. not your dramatized version of what open carry is. please use common sense. yes, there are some idiots that have chosen to carry an AR15 in the open, but everyone on both sides regards the people that choose to open carry like that as complete idiots and they are also in the extreme minority of those that choose to open carry.

Bob Smith 3 weeks, 1 day ago

"....everyone on both sides regards the people that choose to open carry like that as complete idiots..." People who over generalize are all spotty gits. (sarcasm)

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 1 day ago

thats ironic coming from you bob, all you do is over generalize: liberal this, liberal that, congenital liberal, etc. those are basically all you ever seem to comment with.

Bob Smith 3 weeks, 1 day ago

You have me confused with Bob Summers. I'm Bob Smith. See, different name, different person.

Alex Landazuri 3 weeks, 1 day ago

fair enough, however you both spout the same rhetoric.

Bob Smith 3 weeks, 1 day ago

You are over generalizing again. Just can't stop, can you?

Cille King 3 weeks, 1 day ago

Here are some photos of open carry at last year's Republican convention: https://www.thetrace.org/2016/07/open-carry-rnc-militia-protest-cleveland/

And an interesting article: "But Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings said: "It's logical to say that in a shooting situation, open carry can be detrimental to the safety of individuals." https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/07/09/open-carry-createsconfusion-dallas-police-ambush-supporters-say-law-works

Steve Jacob 3 weeks, 1 day ago

Why does everyone think a person legally carrying is a man? I think way more women carry then we think, and if your read all the sexual harassment news, why not?