Archive for Monday, May 1, 2017

Northeast Kansas archdiocese to sever ties with Girl Scouts over ‘virtues and values’

Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann, seen in this file photo from 2008, has directed the Kansas City, Kansas, archdiocese to sever ties with Girl Scouts and end cookie sales, citing philosophical concerns with the organization.

May 1, 2017

— The archdiocese covering the Kansas City, Kan., region and much of the eastern part of the state said Monday it is severing ties with Girl Scouts and urging an end to cookie sales, citing philosophical concerns with the organization.

The Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas announced in a statement that Girl Scouts is "no longer a compatible partner in helping us form young women with the virtues and values of the Gospel," The Kansas City Star reported.

The archdiocese said it is switching its support to a 22-year-old Christian-based scouting program, American Heritage Girls.

American Heritage Girls, with 1,005 troops and more than 47,000 members, has become an option for those who claim Girl Scouts has turned too liberal and has relationships with organizations that don't share traditional family values. The Girl Scouts deny that characterization.

"I have asked the pastors of the archdiocese to begin the process of transitioning away from the hosting of parish Girl Scout troops and toward the chartering of American Heritage Girls troops," Archbishop Joseph F. Naumann said in the statement.

Naumann said pastors have the option of making that shift "quickly, or to, over the next several years, 'graduate' the scouts currently in the program," and to form American Heritage Girl troops this fall.

Lawrence's two Catholic schools, St. John Catholic School and Corpus Christi Catholic School, both belong to the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas. Samantha Romero, director of stewardship and development at the St. John parish, said on Monday that she wasn't aware of any guidelines issued by the archdiocese specifically to St. John's Girl Scout troop, other than schools being encouraged to seek out alternative scouting programs. Father Michael "Mick" Mulvany of Corpus Christi could not be reached for comment Monday about changes at his parish, though a Girl Scouts meeting for Tuesday is still included on the Corpus Christi online calendar as of press time.

Naumann, in a January letter to priests in the archdiocese, also called for an end to Girl Scout cookie sales in the archdiocese, effective after the current school year ends.

The action has angered some Girl Scout leaders and parents in the archdiocese who consider Girl Scouts a respected program and view Naumann's move as punitive and unfair, treating girls in their troops like second-class citizens.

"This is frustrating; parents are very irritated," Maria Walters, a former Girl Scout leader in the archdiocese and mother of two Girl Scouts, told The Star. "I feel we should all be together as one in the community. This does nothing but divide us.

"I don't know why you would take an organization out of a school when it provides an option for girls to feel like they're part of a group."

Last year, St. Louis Archbishop Robert Carlson urged priests to sever ties with the Girl Scouts, also saying the organization promotes values "incompatible" with Catholic teachings.

Carlson's letter then to priests, scout leaders and other Catholics said the archdiocese and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops have been investigating concerns about the Girl Scouts of the USA and the parent organization, the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts, for several years.

Carlson said he worried that contraception and abortion rights were being promoted to Girl Scouts. His letter also said resources and social media "highlight and promote role models in conflict with Catholic values, such as Gloria Steinem and Betty Friedan."

Steinem, 81, is a feminist, journalist and political activist. Friedan, who died in 2006 at age 85, was a feminist and writer.

— Joanna Hlavacek contributed to this report.

Comments

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Well, at last. Christians who at least admit that they do not like values followed by the Girl Scouts, see below. They just don't like girls learning to be moral leaders. I guess they want girls to learn to be good little properties of their father, then husband.

"Our Mission Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.

Girl Scout Promise On my honor, I will try: To serve God and my country, To help people at all times, And to live by the Girl Scout Law.

Girl Scout Law I will do my best to be honest and fair, friendly and helpful, considerate and caring, courageous and strong, and responsible for what I say and do, and to
respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely, make the world a better place, and be a sister to every Girl Scout. "

Ken Lassman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Isn't it rich, the scandal-ridden church, after paying off untold numbers of parishoners from the decades of pedophilia and sex scandals, finds it necessary to cast judgement on the Girl Scouts for promoting developing independent thinking, strong young women?

So that's the way the cookie crumbles. I have seen nothing but decades and decades of good come out of Girl Scouts locally, and they deserve my continued support in my estimation.

Scott Burkhart 1 month, 2 weeks ago

The Church can cast judgment on what organizations that it aligns itself with, follow the values it prescribes. It's easy to take pot shots at the Church even though the incidence of pedophilia is no different in public schools where teachers are protected by unions. Look it up.

Ken Lassman 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Public teachers are not telling parents to stop participating in Girl Scouts either, Scott. Futhermore, you don't hear the Girl Scouts telling the girls to leave the Catholic Church because it has a different focus on values from the Girl Scouts. It is inappropriate for the Church to cast aspersions on an organization which locally has done a tremendous amount of good for a large number of girls, giving them a great start in life and contributing positively to the social network of our community. The Church brings criticism to itself when it attacks the Girl Scouts organization in this way, and if it doesn't like to be castigated for such hypocrisy then it should not be making this kind of unnecessary judgements about other organizations that do a lot of good.

Ken Lassman 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Well, even though it is completely off-topic, it isn't everyday that you provide the semblance of a credible articulation of the denialist position regarding climate change. So for you and anyone else who checked out your link, here are my thoughts:

1) I find it amusing that he initially focuses on the nonscientific community's agreeing with the overwhelming consensus within the scientific community that human-triggered climate change is occurring. He thinks this fills some kind of psychological need to be "right" or "superior" to those who don't believe this. Is this what drives you when you decide to believe the scientists who claim that gravity exists? Does it fill some psychological need for superiority when you think about and look down on those poor flat earth society idiots? I don't think so.

2) His assertion that the no-longer pausing "pause" in global atmospheric temperatures is an indication that there was something driving temperatures just as powerful as human carbon emissions is not backed up with any proposed alternative mechanism and completely ignores the fact that there was no pause at all in sea temperature rise, which represents 90% of heat accumulation on our planet.

3) Much of his presentation could be summarized by: "how to mislead by playing with the "y axis"" his presentation is so much more guilty of the offense than the climatological community has ever done.

4) Regarding his climate sensitivity arguments, his analyses have been totally debunked by the climatological community. A summary of why can be found here: https://skepticalscience.com/Lindzen-Choi-2009-low-climate-sensitivity.htm Similar critiques of his discounting Mann's tree ring analyses can easily be found, which, by the way has been reinforced through gas bubble analyses of antarctic ice cores and a host of other independent measurements.

5) Lindzen's generalizations about extreme weather are, well, so generaiized that he doesn't really claim anything that can be tested. This is unlike Hansen's peer reivewed publications on shifting means in land temperatures and precipitation, for instance.

6) He gives no evidence that measured sea level rise can be explained away by land sinking, so I won't even look up evidence to the contrary, which is out there for any inquiring mind to see.

7) Regarding sea ice and polar bears, he falls back on the argument that these are presented for us to feel scared in order to fund the research, but gives no reason how the data is wrong or why we should ignore it.

From there he gets more and more general in his criticism, concluding with a statement that believing in the conclusions of the climatological community is tantamount to believing in magic. I posit that believing in his world view is the magical one, not vice versa.

Scott Burkhart 1 month, 2 weeks ago

That's right Dorothy. The Catholic Church does not like "values" such as abortion and contraception. It has nothing to do with being properties of their fathers. It has to do with being properties of the abortion industry. Murder, Inc.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Well as a disinterested and uninformed observer, I would say "good riddance".

These "religious" bigots and fools who seem to ignore the basic teachings of Jesus (Love one another) are a drag on those who follow these fools, The Girl Scouts should be glad to be free of the corrosive influence of this type of "religion".

I am sure there are many denominations of churches (or other community organizations) that would gladly pick up these troops of girls and provide a loving and supportive atmosphere.

Unlike these Catholic fools who are immersed in their self aggrandizing and ignorant "religion".

I would be most interested to hear the kind of "values" this "American Heritage Girls" outfit will be supporting for young women in our society.

"Be quiet, keep your knees together, do as any man instructs you, do not interrupt any man, keep your stupid women's attitudes to yourself, etc, etc, etc,..........Just be "good"

Yup.....good "American Heritage" values, Right??

Pete Kennamore 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Such bitterness isn't good for you Fred.

Bob Smith 1 month, 3 weeks ago

You're going to rupture something, Fred. Take care.

Brock Masters 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Once again the "coexist" and respect diversity and free speech crowd hurls hate bombs at the Catholic Church.

Name calling does wonders for encouraging coexistence.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

So I posted the Girl Scouts purposes and missions above. Would you like to point out why none of these are Christian values? It would be nice if you could give specifics, rather than broad statements. Is it because Girl Scouts would let girls of other religions join? I mean seriously. If Girl Scouts is the opposite of the Catholic religion, is this their "law"?

Catholic Law I will do my best to be dishonest and unfair, nasty and selfish, bulling and mean, cowardly and weak, and blame someone else for what I say and do, and to love myself over others, disrespect authority, use up all resources, make the world a worse place, and hate anyone who isn't Catholic.

Brock Masters 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy, I didn't disagree with the mission statement being consistent with Christian values. I simple point out that name calling and hate bombs fly in the face of the mantra the left puts forth that we should all coexist.

A person should disagree with the Church's position if they believe it is wrong, but coexistence demands we do it civilly and respectfully. Look at the name calling you and Fred have engaged in. Are you proud that you resort to name calling instead of constructive dialogue?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Oh but the Archdiocese is loving and kind. More hypocrisy from the radical conservative snowflakes. "Don't call me names or criticize me, or I will have your Kenyan, Muslim former president thrown in jail. And don't lie to me or put words in my mouth." You guys can put it out, but you can't take it. Look at your thin skinned, whiney president.

Brock Masters 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Name calling, regardless of who does it, is wrong. You can justify doing it because the other side does it but it only reduces you to their level.

I choose to try to rise above it. Others on here, many with whom I disagree, also rise above it. This, I respect them and listen to them with an open mind.

This approach is not for everyone, so carry on.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Let me set you folks straight. I am not attacking the Catholic Church or the Catholic Religion.

I am attacking the fools (There are some Baptist cells who also feel this way) who think that the Girl Scouts of America are some sort of far out anti religious organization just because they do not conform chapter and verse to their own religious belief. It is a great social and educational social group who I admire greatly. And the fools of any religion who find them distasteful are way off base and out of touch.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I don't think the Catholic church should be throwing stones at a group that makes women strong moral leaders. They have covered up perverts in their midst. They have lived in luxury, even though they took a vow of poverty. It's why some priests and bishops do not like the new pope.

Actually it's better for the Girl Scouts to find a community building to hold their meetings, not churches. There have been so many youth pastors and priests who have molested boys and girls, I wouldn't leave a young child alone in a church for anything. Especially in churches which forgive sinners and don't think they should be punished and blame the victims. Some churches have become havens for molesters. Not all, but enough to give them a bad name in my book.

These are just a few this year.

Brock Masters 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I think this is a bad move by the Archiocese because it forces Catholic girls out of the Girl Scouts or to find other locations. The Girl Scouts provide an opportunity for girls to develop into strong, mature leaders. You cannot shield girls from contraception and abortion.

Perhaps the girls would have a better chance following the Church's teaching if they were in a Christian environment provided by hosting the Girl Scouts in a church.

This divides and will not result in girls who shun contraceptives and abortions. It may even push them to it if they drop out of the Girl Scouts.

Note: I disagreed with the Church without resorting to name calling and hate. It can be done and this is how people with differences can coexist.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Name calling? It seems to me the only "value" this Archdiocese has is controlling a woman's body. I know a lot of Christians and a lot of Catholics. I've read the Bible twice. There doesn't seem to be a lot in there about contraception. There is a whole lot from the teachings of Jesus that fit right into the Girl Scout's mission. But, yes, I do agree that the Girl Scouts should get away from people like this Archdiocese. There are plenty of churches out there who follow the teachings of Jesus who will welcome them. And the Archdiocese needs to quite getting his news from Britefart. And, yes, that was name calling, not a typo. Those poor little wimps who lie for that atrocity can just go cry in their beers.

Justin Hoffman 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy, you remind me of a three year old child.

Richard Aronoff 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Now, now........don't dump on Dorothy. She knows more about the Bible than anyone else. She said so in this space a few weeks ago. This, of course would have been big news to people like the Pope and Franklin Graham.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Quick, give me all the quotes about contraception!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Are Richard, Bob, and Justin not poster boys for the anti women radicals? What a joke. Did a woman dump you boys once or more than once? Is that why you look down on women so much. If they made fun of you in school, I apologize on their behalf. But there is a love for everyone out there. Just keep looking. ROFL!!!!

Richard Aronoff 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Or, Dorothy,, you might want to refer to Matthew 5: 17-20,

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

A lot of stuff in there against divorce. So you are admitting that Trump is an adulterer. But he's a Christian? What's his punishment, Richard? Or is it only women who can commit adultery? Kind of sounds a whole like, you know, Sharia law.

Bob Smith 1 month, 2 weeks ago

And yet again, Dorothy makes up her own stories about people who disagree with her. Dorothy's world is such a strange place.

Brock Masters 1 month, 2 weeks ago

You nailed it as did Richard and Justin.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Aww. Look at these guys. Takes 3 of them to harass little ole me. This is getting so funny. Sorry, boys, I'm not going away. And the Catholic church can do what it wants. But they sure are having trouble finding people to be their priests and nuns already. This sort of hatred isn't going to win many people over. Oh wait, Richard, Bob, Brock, I think I've found a new job for you. Which do you want to be a nun or a priest?

Louis Kannen 1 month, 2 weeks ago

I, for one, completely respect the fact that the Catholic Church, or any denomination for that matter, have the 'stones' to hold true to their beliefs and stand their hallowed, principled ground.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

And they are good at throwing those stones, aren't they.

Richard Aronoff 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy, you are a humorless, intolerant crone who demonstrates her own brand of bigotry in nearly every post. I used to think that Maxine Waters was the dumbest woman on the face of the Earth but you take the prize.

You really need to calm down. Normally I wouldn't say this to someone like you ---- but can you get yourself to a pound cake?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

LOL. Can't stand the heat, can you Richard. This is too funny.

David Holroyd 1 month, 2 weeks ago

It's a slow day at the stained glass shop for Dorothy. Too bad she cannot find the time to donate her skills to making some mighty fine stained glass windows for the Mausoleum at Oak Hill. Remember? The Mausoleum that the lazy commissioners cannot get painted and repaired by memorial day, but rather twiddle their thumbs about a train station.

Lawrence is truly a place of not much.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Oh David, run get your mum a cup of tea. There's a good boy.

David Holroyd 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Dorothy, my mum is dead and if you met her, she would tell you to go do something civic minded. A stained glass shop and you cannot even create a couple of windows..but instead post all day on the Journal World and other papers in the United States., post about much ado about nothing.

Be a good grown girl and do something beneficial for once....before death do come soon..look at the obits in Lawrence...people dying before 80!

About the Archibishop though, does he like the cookies?

Louis Kannen 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Speaking of the languishing Oak Hill Mausoleum issue, what if ANYTHING have the City's Daft Deciders come up with. It's really quite a simple request, now how about a SIMPLE, even if brief, response from somebody, ANYBODY with the City. For the record, a "no comment..." or nothing at all response translates into " we could care less, leave us alone, we're busy..." How about it City Cappo's, get with the program, what is your response??

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month, 2 weeks ago

This story is about the Catholic church and the Girl Scouts. Write a letter to the editor.

David Holroyd 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Louis Kannen, the simple answer is in your words "we could care less, leave us alone,we're busy" and to think those interned and those remains moved were the very people who made Lawrence GREAT once...but now are not treated as such.

but then this thread is about girl scout cookies...

David Holroyd 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Mr. Kannen, the city commission is inept, supported by the likes of Dorothy and Richard and the chamber..You are correct. Any town around would have already have painted the interior of the Mausoleum. And any civic minded folks like those in the arts area would maybe even create a couple of stained glass windows. After all idle hands are the devil's workshop.

Looks like Dorothy is stalking Mr. Louis Kannen.. Lawrence is a pitiful rundown town with not much to offer...except to let the city manager fleece the general public.

rumor at the swap meet about the new director at night of the Amtrak station: Is it true that a staff member will be hired to work at the train station , thus garnering pay and pension and health care? After all, someone needs to meet those almost EmpTy trains..

David Holroyd 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Isn't it interesting that Dorothy does not write any letters to the editor?

Brock Masters 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Ruh Roh, I can see her and Ralph putting on their vagina hats and jointly writing a letter now.