Eudora man charged with first-degree murder after shooting victim dies; bond set at $1 million

D-Dubs Bar and Grill is located at 10 W. Ninth St. in Eudora.

A Eudora man has been charged with first-degree murder and two counts of attempted murder following a fight outside a Eudora bar this weekend.

Douglas County prosecutor Mark Simpson alleges that after fatally shooting one man, Danny William Queen, 36, of Eudora, attempted to kill two other people.

“(Queen) was only prevented by the fact that his gun jammed,” Simpson said during Queen’s first appearance in Douglas County District Court Monday afternoon.

Queen is accused of first-degree murder in the shooting early Saturday morning of Bo Matthew Hopson. According to police, Hopson, 32, of Eudora, worked security at D-dubs Bar and Grill, 10 W. Ninth St. in Eudora.

Eudora Police Chief Bill Edwards at a news conference Monday said Queen, whose birthday was Friday, had been a patron at the bar but had been asked to leave by a bar employee. It’s not clear exactly why he was asked to leave, although Edwards said bar employees had stopped serving him alcohol and had to escort him out of the building. Edwards said that Queen then got into a fight with someone outside the bar. He said Hopson was not involved in the fight but went outside the bar to check on the situation and to ensure that Queen did not re-enter the building.

“Following the altercation our victim was just checking on him, making sure that he was not going to come back in the bar, and at that time he pulled a weapon and fired two shots,” Edwards said.

Edwards said Queen had been asked to leave the bar because of “his condition” and because of comments he was making. He said he didn’t know the nature of the comments or the circumstances of the fight outside the bar.

Edwards said he does not believe that Queen and Hopson knew each other before the incident. After Hopson went outside, Edwards said that Queen reportedly shot him in the chest and the arm with a small automatic gun he had been carrying in his pocket. He said the gun jammed after the second shot and people were able to restrain Queen.

Hopson was flown by air ambulance to the University of Kansas hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Hopson died Sunday afternoon during surgery, according to Edwards.

Eudora Police Chief Bill Edwards talks with media members about a fatal shooting that occurred around early Saturday morning outside D-Dubs bar in Eudora. The victim, Bo Matthew Hopson, died Sunday afternoon from his injuries.

The shooting took place just before 1:15 a.m. Saturday. Edwards said the investigation continued all night and included help from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office.

The town of Eudora, about eight miles east of Lawrence, has about 6,400 residents, and the bar is visible from the Eudora Police Station. Edwards said that the Hopsons are longtime residents of Eudora and that family members have extended their thanks to the first responders, police and members of the Eudora community who have offered their support.

“It’s unfortunate for all,” Edwards said. “Eudora is not a place where we commonly deal with a lot of violence of this nature.”

Edwards said a toxicology report on Queen is not complete, and Eudora police are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the shooting. He asked that witnesses or anyone else with information contact Eudora Police Detective Daniel Flick.

Queen was booked early Saturday morning into the Douglas County Jail and on Monday was charged with one count of first-degree murder and two counts of attempted first-degree murder. Queen appeared via video feed from the jail and his bond was set at $1 million.

Queen’s next court appearance is scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Tuesday in Douglas County District Court.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office would not release the booking photo of Queen.