Archive for Wednesday, July 12, 2017

City Band concert moved inside because of heat, humidity

The Lawrence City Band performs at Murphy Hall in this file photo from July 15, 2015.

July 12, 2017

Organizers have moved Wednesday night's Lawrence City Band concert inside because of high temperatures and humidity.

The free concert will take place at 8 p.m. in Room 130 of Murphy Hall on the University of Kansas campus. The theme for Wednesday's concert is "The Children's Concert."

The National Weather Service in Topeka previously issued a heat advisory that remains in effect until 8 p.m. Wednesday. Heat indices are in the 103 to 108 degree range, the weather service said in an afternoon update.

Comments

David Holroyd 1 month, 1 week ago

A big fancy arts center and that cannot host a concert? A move to Murphy with the streets torn up...just choice , the decision.

Whats wrong with LHS auditorium or even Trinity Lutheran ...a room? really that's the best that can be done?

Kendall Simmons 1 month ago

And just how many audience members did that room at Murphy hold?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month ago

First of all, the conductors, the announcer, and probably several players are music teachers at KU, they practice there before the concert. You would know that if you ever attended the concerts. And, yes, Carl. David hates Lawrence, Kansas. Why he lives here no one knows.

KU is a part of the city band concert. Why do you hate them so much. Why do you hate all the time. You must be a very sad, lonely person. I really pity you, David.

Carl Ellerd 1 month, 1 week ago

Mr. Holroyd, I'm new to this site, so fill me in. Why do all your post appear to me absolutely negative? If so, why don't you run for an elective office where you can have and maby influence a different solution to the many problems of the city and various entities?

David Holroyd 1 month, 1 week ago

Mr Ellerd if you ere new you will soon figure out what I post is true!

Carl Ellerd 1 month, 1 week ago

I've found thru out my life that first impressions are usually right, so I'll wait and see. And my initial impression is you are a very negative person regarding anything you don’t personally approve of.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month ago

See my post above. What you said has no truth. The city band has lots of connections to KU. They practice there before they come to the park. Obviously you would like to think you know everything about Lawrence, but you don't. And Murphy Hall is an okay place for the concerts, but not as much fun as being outside. By the way, when was the last time you attended a concert in the park? When was it you attended KU? Do you belong to the Alumni Association?

David Holroyd 1 month, 1 week ago

Mr Ellerd, if a real person, research what I post! Why are you new to this site? Someone wanting you to silence me? You see Mr Ellerd stay focused and become a learner and you too can see the light. What is positive about shoving folks into a room at Murphy when Liberty Memorial middle school would have worked as many going to the concert walk to it.

You are new to the site? , then ask why Murphy. Bad idea Murphy was.

Stay tuned Mr Ellerd and you will have a chance to read some more comments. If you don't like do not read!

Carl Ellerd 1 month, 1 week ago

I said I was new to this site, not that I was new to Lawrence. I retired from a Lawrence organization after more than 20 years employment. I'm well aware of the city and KU interactions. Have a good night.

Kendall Simmons 1 month ago

Why can't he be new to this site without you trying to make a federal case out of it?

David Holroyd 1 month, 1 week ago

Even your reading comprehension is not up to snuff! I never questioned if you were new to Lawrence, so why do you want to point out you are not new to Lawrence? Someone have you doing their dirty work?

You see,I don't really care what you think,I really don't!

Keeping it real Mr Ellerd and I wouldn't put the city and Ku in the same stock pot. Are you bragging?

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 1 month ago

Thanks to KU the band does have a back up plan. Thank you very much KU. I much prefer the outside concerts, but since many elderly people have a hard time dealing with the heat and humidity, and I'm getting up there in age with them, then it's nice to have an alternative.

If you have not been to one this summer, plan on coming to the finale. Also, the new announcer is fantastic (the last one was great too, but he moved). He teaches music history at KU, and is very knowledgable and has a punny sense of humor.

There are a lot of great musicians in Lawrence, and this year they had a guest sax player who tours with Stevie Wonder.

Thanks to the city band, all their wonderful musicians, Parks and Rec, KU, the sponsors and everyone involved. Keep up the awesome work.

David Holroyd 1 month ago

David doesn't hate Lawrence, Dorothy! What David dislikes are folks like Dorothy who are hoity toity and cannot even offer her skill to repair the stained glass windows at the Mausoleum.

As for the concert, what was wrong with having it a Liberty Memorial Middle school right down the street from the park..' You see Carl and Dorothy there are many folks who walk to the concert from the surrounding areas around the park AND the streets are all torn up getting to Murphy. that's a fact.

Carl, that is not negative that is truth!

And Dorothy, why would I need to belong to the Alumin Association? Really now for what benefit?

I don't need to belong to "clubs" to be seen and be a touchy feeling. One thing for sure Dorothy when the snowflakes in Lawrence melt the river will rise.

And Carl, I don't need to be in office, my surrogate is there and his name is Trump! And he is not going away either...

about the "organization" you clamed you worked for Carl, are you too proud to name the "organization"

I worked in a warehouse CARL, and proud of it...a laborer if you willl. Not one of the fancy titled folks like in the Chamber, aka , the local retirement labor pool for retirees.

Kendall Simmons I never questioned why Mr. Ellerd was new to the site...he made that statement...It is not a federal case anymore than a one Kendall Simmons was who speaks of responsibility about my teeth, but one Kendall Simmons in Lawrence had to NOT take responsibilty for painting his/her house but instead called out the bodies of Big Event.Surely no this Kendall.

Lawrence is full of braggarts and it is beginning to appear that 1/2 of the community is in the early stages of forgetfullness. Although a retired professor of KU last week told me it is more like 90%.

Now Dorothy staff inside where it is cool, we sure do not want the snowflakes melting...after all lthe river is already high with the draining of hundreds of gallons of water right down the storm sewer. I bet you never wandered up there at Oread Avenue Dorothy to see all that water wasted that you have paid to treat...it was a sight! Sure would have been a lot in a power washer to clean another house to be painted for the Big Event.

David Holroyd 1 month ago

and btw, Dorothy, Carl, Kendall and Richard and maybe Bob Forer, so many Bobs you know, and even Melinda and then there is even Lisa, Chad, Matthew, Mike, Scott, Mr. Markus, and Dianne and Wagner and Kidney...a full bus almost could all go see the Tempations on July 21 at the Ameristar Casino....oops, Deborah too.

I might even be there and f ew friends from my Mr. Rogers neighborhood..

You see, if the Chamber of Commerce and few sneaky realtors in town who couldn't get the commisson for selling land...Otis Williams could have been in Lawrence.

Lawrence is so backwards when it comes to culture and the Arts. Even Eudora is gettng a big exhibit from the east coast.. bigger than the Big Event Kendall.

Go see The Tempations... get out of the hamster wheel aka Lawrence.