Archive for Monday, July 3, 2017

Midco leaders say cable, phone and internet has been restored; estimated 3,000 affected by outages

A Midco sign is in place outside Riverfront Plaza, Tuesday evening, June 27, 2017, after workers removed WOW signs, at bottom, from the company's properties.

July 3, 2017

All services are thought to be restored following the troubled conversion last week of WOW cable, phone and internet services to Midco.

The conversion was supposed to take place overnight Tuesday, and Midco President and CEO Pat McAdaragh said they believed customers’ services were restored by late Friday based on customer call volumes.

He said the company will look deeper into what happened in the coming days.

“When you realize you have a problem then you go into fix-it mode," McAdaragh said. "We’ve been so focused on that now these next few days we’ll see what transpires. I would say we’re cautiously optimistic that we’ve transcended the initial problems.”

He said that if there are outages, they would probably be in the normal course of business and not related directly to the conversion.

As part of its purchase of WOW, Midco took on more than 30,000 cable, phone and internet customers in Douglas, Leavenworth and Wyandotte counties. McAdaragh said that though he won’t have final numbers for at least a week, he expects that the service of about 3,000 customers, or perhaps more, was cut off because of the conversion.

The outages affected residential as well as business customers, many of whom were cut off from their customers for days because both their phones lines and internet were down. The outages caused long waits on Midco’s customer service line, with some customers reporting being on hold for more than an hour and still not having their issues resolved.

McAdaragh said the outages were unexpected, and that the primary issue was inconsistencies in the customer record database that testing did not identify.

“We had tested,” he said. “You think you have it right, and then when it came in we found there were more data out there that weren’t correct.”

In addition to not being able to take customer calls, some businesses had to operate cash-only for a time because their credit card system relied on the internet.

McAdaragh said they will work with customers, primarily business accounts, to address any compensation for the outages. He said compensation would be looked at on a case-by-case basis for accounts that were affected or had significant issues.

“We’ll be working with them in terms of making it right financially too,” McAdaragh said. “With that said, it’s very difficult to make a blanket statement because everybody was affected differently."

McAdaragh said he feels bad that customers were not connected for any period of time, and that staff reacted once they knew there was a problem.

“If there are issues for anyone out there, we are going to keep working on each and every one until we get them all resolved,” he said.

Customers can contact Midco regarding compensation via email at kansas_support@midco.net.

Comments

Rick Aldrich 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Who cares what their excuse is. It shouldn't have ever happened the way it did. Very inprofesdional period.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 months, 2 weeks ago

And from all the folksy and sugary commercials they have started saturating their network with I am very skeptical of their competence to be providing reliable service to anyone.

My internet service has been interrupted three times. Glad I did not have any bids on E Bay during this outage.

Midco has a lot to prove to me. I am very skeptical.

Uh....Rick...."unprofessional" I believe, But I completely agree.

Brett McCabe 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Just received my first bill and my internet went up in cost by 30%. Web-site won't even allow me to see pricing, and the bill has no explanation. No way to email them, either.

Rough start for what appears to be a standard, slipshod cable company benefitting from idiotic monopoly rules.

Michael Kort 4 months, 2 weeks ago

i lost service but i was expecting that and i own a 4G hotspot with so many free MB per month so i was not without ......entirely .

i don't want their min. 60 MB speed that i have seen on a flyer as an upgrade which is more speed than i need and goes up by $15 in a year after sign up .

i own 2 3.0 modem/routers that are used that both work just fine that i reset up and do not plan to rent or buy one from Midco..... which is dumb....... and i don't need a service call to get set up as i can call by phone if i need to change out a modem/router .

if they leave my bill alone and don't try to scam me into faster more expensive speeds than i have then me and them will get along just fine .

These guys are something like WOW 2.0,...... to me .

More merchandising for more accumulated debt to purchase the rolling purchase debts that others have built up into the system .

Greg Huneryager 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I think there are still a lot who don't have service. I get internet as part of the rent at the complex I live at and it was still out Friday for everyone. I only got it back yesterday, was quite pleasantly surprised to get a call from a tech guy. The irritating thing is I called Thursday but whoever took that call didn't do anything because the people I talked to on Monday had no info or note of a problem, and even then it took around half an hour to even get the process started.

Laura Wilson 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I've had no problems with internet but my DVR is acting crazy. Sometimes it won't pause live TV without freezing. Sometimes when I start a recorded show it starts it at the end and I have to rewind! Sometimes when I delete a show after watching it, it freezes the TV and I have to switch channels to bring it back. And, the most irritating, sometimes when I try to start playing a show I'm recording, it won't let me until it's finished recording.

And sometimes everything works fine.

I'm trying to clear off all the recorded shows I haven't watched because I have a bad feeling I'm going to need a new DVR. I've NEVER had issues with this one and have had it for about two years. If this doesn't clear up, I guess I'll have to try calling tech support. Really not looking forward to that.