Archive for Thursday, February 16, 2017

Opinion: Letter to our so-called president

February 16, 2017

Dear Mr. So-Called President:

So let me explain to you how this works.

You were elected as chief executive of the United States. I won’t belabor the fact that you won with a minority of the popular vote and a little help from your friends, FBI Director James Comey and Russian President Vladimir Putin. The bottom line is, you were elected.

And this does entitle you to certain things. You get your own airplane. You get free public housing. You get greeted with snappy salutes. And a band plays when you walk into the room.

But there is one thing to which your election does not entitle you. It does not entitle you to do whatever pops into your furry orange head without being called on it or, should it run afoul of the Constitution, without being blocked.

You and other members of the Fourth Reich seem to be having difficulty understanding this. Reports from Politico and elsewhere describe you as shocked that judges and lawmakers can delay or even stop you from doing things. Three weeks ago, your chief strategist, Steve Bannon, infamously declared that news media should “keep its mouth shut and just listen for a while.”

Just last Sunday, senior policy adviser Stephen Miller declared on CBS’ “Face the Nation” that “our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.”

What you do “will not be questioned?” Lord, have mercy. That’s the kind of statement that, in another time and place, would have been greeted with an out-thrust palm and a hearty “Sieg heil!” Here in this time and place, however, it demands a different response:

Just who the hell do you think you are?

Meaning you and all the other trolls you have brought clambering up from under their bridges. Maybe you didn’t notice, but this is the United States of America. Perhaps you’ve heard of it? Nation of laws, not of individuals? First Amendment? Freedom of the press? Any of that ringing a bell?

Let’s be brutally clear here. If you were a smart guy with unimpeachable integrity and a good heart who was enacting wise policies for the betterment of all humankind, you’d still be subject to sharp scrutiny from news media, oversight from Congress, restraint by the judiciary — and public opinion.

And you, of course, are none of those things.

I know you fetishize strength. I know your pal Vladimir would never stand still for reporters and judges yapping at him like so many poodles.

I know, too, that you are accustomed to being emperor of your own fiefdom. Must be nice. Your name on the wall, the paychecks, the side of the building. You tell people to make something happen, and it does. You yell at a problem, and it goes away. Nobody talks back. I can see how it would be hard to give that up.

But you did. You see, you’re no longer an emperor, Mr. So-Called President. You are now what is called a “public servant” — in effect, an employee with 324 million bosses.

And let me tell you something about those bosses. They are unruly and loud, long accustomed to speaking their minds without fear or fetter. And they believe power must always answer to the people. That’s at the core of their identity.

Yet you and your coterie of cartoon autocrats think you’re going to cow them into silence and compliance by ordering them to shut up and obey? Well, as a freeborn American, I can answer that in two syllables flat.

Hell no.

— Leonard Pitts is a columnist for The Miami Herald.

Comments

Paul Beyer 4 days, 22 hours ago

Mr Pitts, with this column, will drive the alt-right trolls on this forum crazy. As soon as the "Bobs" stop hyperventilating they will start attacking him for being racist. After all, he must be if he doesn't follow in lockstep with their beloved fuhrer's every dictate.

Justin Hoffman 4 days, 22 hours ago

These columns from Pitts, like Paul's comments are more entertaining by the day. Like the little kid in Walmart throwing a tantrum because he didn't get his way. You just chuckle and go about your day.

Bob Summers 4 days, 22 hours ago

These types of people cannot help their genetic condition anymore than a mole can help not digging up your beautiful lawn.

Ken Lassman 4 days, 19 hours ago

...or a dung beetle cannot resist rolling up your little genetic condition theory into little balls like they do whenever they see piles of bovine excrement. My garden is dry enough to till, so can I order a truckload of your genetic condition theory to drop off so I can work it in this weekend? The timing should be good.

Bob Summers 4 days, 18 hours ago

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 days, 18 hours ago

Could you expand on how Trump is in the least bit presidential and not an embarrassment to our country? And he will be questioned. He was elected president,not emperor.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 days, 12 hours ago

Justin, Justin, are you still there? Checking in with your puppet masters on how to answer that question?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 21 hours ago

WOW!!!!!!!..............."FOURTH REICH!!.............SIEG HEIL!!................"SO-CALLED" PRESIDENT!!!!

MR. PITTS.........HAVE YOU BEEN READING MY POSTS IN THIS FORM??

You get the "flag" from the flag guys!!! You get dissed for your supposedly stupid remarks referencing Hitler...........You get all sorts of guffaws and slurs........You become a definitely disregarded voice hollering that we made an incredible and dumb mistake.

Of course, the Russians helped a bit by bashing the other candidate, the one with real government experience and just a bit of failure to realize how much flak you can get with a small mistake regarding a private server. And that sexual offender hiding in some embassy getting all sorts of credibility with something called "Wikileaks".

What the heck is wrong with you. Did you not know that the braying jackass was "lawfully"(sic) elected???? Have you not heard of the "Electoral College"?? Do you not know that in the good ole USA popular vote does not count??

What is wrong with you, anyway??

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 21 hours ago

Journal-World.....I though it was your policy to keep out of these national affairs??

What is with the hilarious cartoon of the "Emperor has no clue"?......The line is "The Emperor has no clothes" Got it??

I guess you could not show this due to the fact that Mr. Trump has made some salient comments on the size of his......uh....well......thing.)

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 21 hours ago

Wish I could....but we are stuck with the jerk for 4 years. (Unless the impeachment forces get busy).

Bob Summers 4 days, 20 hours ago

Armen Kurdian 4 days, 20 hours ago

Leonard, just shut up for a minute. Whatever point you might have is totally lost in your hysterical rant, and that's why you aren't making any traction. You yell & scream your head off in hyperbole and lose any semblance of credibility, quite frankly I have no idea how LJW can still tolerate your columns, there's a lot of good liberal columnists out there, you will NEVER be one of them because you don't have a clue how to communicate. You keep bringing up this ridiculous and insane comparison to Nazi Germany, and all you'll do is throw gas on the fire. Did it ever occur to you that you're just as guilty of making stupid and reckless statements as you are accusing the Administration of?

You want something to change? My advice is stop talking and let others take up your flag, because quite frankly you just entrench Trump's support and convince nobody that there is any merit of listening to you.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 days, 18 hours ago

Bob Smith 4 days, 18 hours ago

Greg Cooper 4 days, 17 hours ago

Richard Neuschafer 4 days, 14 hours ago

So you have a problem facing the TRUTH, Armen. Facts baffle you. Alternative facts are only what you want to see and you want to dish out. No one with any sense is going to buy your garbage.

Bob Forer 4 days, 9 hours ago

Wow. A truly evocative and invective response. You sound a little butt hurt.

Bob Forer 4 days, 9 hours ago

"Leonard, just shut up for a minute"

Isn't that similar to what the bigot Miller said. "The press needs to shut up and listen." .

Armen Kurdian 3 days, 19 hours ago

You guys have missed my point entirely. Bob, if I read you right, I agree w/your sentiment. You can't fight crazy with crazy. Listening to the press conference yesterday for as long as I could stand to was painful. The people elected a populist, and there's arguably some good that is coming of it, but at the same time his twitter feeds and his rapport with the press is totally unbecoming. And things seem very disorganized...I don't need the press to tell me that, nor do I need to hear other press apologizing for him either, which I find equally frustrating. Funny thing is I don't even think he's lying most of the time, I think he genuinely believes a lot of what he says whether true or not.

What I'm saying is that kind of a column just entrenches people into their mindsets more fully whether you agree or disagree w/him...further divides, and is not constructive. This shoot from the hip say whatever you want behavior is just flat out not acceptable from the President. The overly visceral and scathing attacks that go too far the other way take away from legitimate criticism.

I'm more on your side on this than you realize.

Bob Forer 3 days, 15 hours ago

Appreciate the clarification.

yes, it is quite a mess, isn't it? . I surmise you view things similarly to the The National Review, and although I am not in agreement policy wise, I appreciate that intellectual honesty greatly.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 18 hours ago

Mr. Pitts got you going eh!! Great! I have been comparing Trump to Hitler and the fascist Nazis for some time now. And he has not disappointed me. I have heard these things in other places.

The problem is that there are not many people left alive when Hitler was killing Jews and others he felt needed to be removed. Not many have read the books I have recommended by William Shirer, who was in Nazi Germany at the beginning of the war. You get these guys with something called the "Godwin" flag hollering about how anyone who mentions Hitler and the Third Reich should be summarily dismissed. Wrong. History has some very painful lessons to show us and we unfortunately have those who refuse to remember what those lessons are. Trump is showing us what that history is all about. Most are young folks who are easily fooled and mislead. We are in grave danger from this misinformation.

Armen Kurdian 3 days, 19 hours ago

There are no goats in my house. However, there might be raccoons up in the attic.

Nellane Laney Croan Stussie 3 days, 22 hours ago

We just lived through eight years of consolidating power and corrupting the agencies in the Executive branch and you are comparing 3 weeks of President Trump to Nazi Germany. Amazing!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 days, 8 hours ago

Examples? Every time I as this question Obama haters ghost.

Kyle Roggenkamp 4 days, 17 hours ago

I am considering going back to grad school just to study the support of Donald Trump. It is utterly fascinating, dumbfounding, and amazing that any American citizen can look themselves in the mirror and actually say that they support ANYBODY that carries themselves such as Trump and his associates in the White House. They defend the same ethical conflicts that they crucified Hillary for, heck even worse they have already inspired far more intelligence leaks, their own people cannot even be trusted, his phone is at risk, his email server is private, a navy SEAL has already died, Russia is doing who the heck knows, etc. Yet, people refuse to lessen their support of this man. He attacks anybody or any institution that has the guts to simply enforce checks and balances vital to our democracy and constitution. But.....these so called die hard constitution republicans have already sold their foundationalist souls to the devil to support a man who carries none of their very own self-determined life or family values. this is going to be studied for hundreds of years. I mean, we have witnessed this with other authoritarian leaders, but never in the U.S. We obviously have not learned a thing from a distance, we obviously have to learn this lesson first hand. Yet, still, but....people still support him. I get if you support republican values and some of his policies, but you have to at least admit that him and his team just aren't the right people to do your bidding. stunning to say the least

Greg Cooper 4 days, 17 hours ago

^^^^^This is perfect, Kyle. And all you'll get is those who have the sense of history to agree, and those who don't give a damn because Trump is "the Party".

Ben Cobb 4 days, 13 hours ago

H. L. Mencken once said "nobody ever went broke betting against the intelligence of the American public".

MerriAnnie Smith 1 day, 10 hours ago

You can go down to any bar on slut row and listen to men talk just like Trump talks.

And I'm not even talking about his .... grabbing statement.

I'm talking about his inability to get his mouth in sync with his brain because his brain has a broken light switch. The guys in the bar, however, are just sloppy-eyed drunk. They'd get elected though... if they run as a Republican.

Bob Smith 4 days, 17 hours ago

Seeing das lennypitts and Fred beclowning themselves on the same thread is the most amusing thing I've seen recently.

Bob Smith 4 days, 12 hours ago

I have a wonderful life. A small fraction of that life involves making sport of YDP on this site.

Jim Phillips 4 days, 15 hours ago

Sorry Paul, we conservatives are not going crazy over Mr. Pitts' commentary. On the contrary. It is quite entertaining to see Progressives in total meltdown mode. The fact is that Democrats are no longer a driving factor in American politics. Republicans are now 33 Republican governors and 67 state house and senate chambers. Republicans will select up to as many as three Supreme Court justices and over 100 federal judges before Trump leaves office...lifetime appointments, if you recall. Do you really think we will go crazy over Mr. Pitts' and the Left's collective panic attack? I'm going to grab a beer and some popcorn and watch! It's going to be funnier than Animal House!

Greg Cooper 4 days, 15 hours ago

And, before Fred reminds you, there was one party and no opposition in late 30s Germany. Courts were managed, just as you wish.

Funny? You, like Bob, must have a truly pathetic existence if this is funny to you. I'm very sorry for you. And for America.

Bob Smith 4 days, 12 hours ago

If you don't understand the vast differences between Weimar Germany and current day America, you should hit the books for a while.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 11 hours ago

I probably know a lot more about "Weimar" Germany and the Third Reich than you will ever come to know. My father was in the invasion that put steel up Hitler's butt. He saw first hand what had been wrought in the name of the National Socialist German Workers Party (that is what "Nazis" means in the German Language). I had some problems understanding some of the horrible things my dad related to me. But no more. The vision of Trump and his new "administration" gives me a lot of reason to feel a lot more well read about the Nazis, the Third Reich and Hitler.

My dad served 33 years in the U.S. Army artillery and he was there and saw, smelled, observed and was disgusted at the things that had been done in the name of the "master Race" of Adolf Hitler. I know a lot about the Third Reich.

And what is happening in our country here, today, and now is frightening, disturbing and terrorizing.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 11 hours ago

If you don't see the similarities between Nazi Germany and what is happening in the current "administration", you should have known my father. Col. Whitehead was on the beaches at Normandy and told me things that I could not have imagined about what he saw, smelled, and felt in the wreckage of the Third Reich. KI thought he was just making up that stuffs

No more......the things happening today in the government of the United States of America are making me think that Dad was pretty much right on with his assessment of dictators, fascists, Nazis and people like our current "president".

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 11 hours ago

Sorry.......I wrote one comment and it did not seem to "take". Then I wrote another similar comment and then both comments appeared. I think my computer (or the web site) has the hiccups!)

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 11 hours ago

Ah hah!! You need to click on "x - replies" to see your rant!!! Neat!!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 days, 13 hours ago

And yet you claim that there was massive voter fraud? Yes, Jim, it is your turn, and so far it's not going well.

Jim Phillips 4 days, 11 hours ago

Depends on your point of view, Dorothy. So far, y'all are proving my earlier point quite nicely. Heh heh heh! SMH!

Brock Masters 4 days, 15 hours ago

Perhaps if the DNC and the media didn't conspire to rig the system in favor of Hilary and against her challengers a better candidate would have won the Democratic nomination Would they have been able to beat Trump? We will never know because Hillary and the DNC cheated them out of a fair race.

Whine about Trump, but those of you who supported Hillary are as much to blame for Trump being president as those who voted for him.

Yes, I held my nose and voted for him because he was not Hillary.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 4 days, 12 hours ago

Hey, Brock, the election is over. Your man is president. Let's discuss his actions as president. He is president, but he now has a job, not the boss. He works for the citizens of the United States, and his guideline is the constitution. Do you deny this? This is not what he expected. I think he thought he could do anything he wanted and everyone would do as they are told, like in his business. It's not how the government works, and I think he is having a hard time dealing with it. He is an employee now, not the big time entrepreneur .

Paul Beyer 4 days, 12 hours ago

Hell of a reason to vote for someone. Simply because you fell for all the lies posted by the alt-right and the Russian hackers against Hillary. All those rants are proven lies.

Bob Smith 4 days, 3 hours ago

I voted to keep the Clinton Crime Family out of the White House. Mission accomplished.

Greg Cooper 14 hours, 28 minutes ago

All by your little ole self. How charming for you.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 days, 11 hours ago

I notice that some of my posts are disappearing without the usual poke from the censors at the JW. Are any the rest of you having this problem?

Bob Forer 4 days, 9 hours ago

It's kinda "funny" that the more persuasive and hard hitting a progressive commentary is, the greater is the meltdown of rightwing snowflakes.

Bob Smith 4 days ago

Not melting down, simply applying the necessary ridicule.

Justin Hoffman 3 days, 19 hours ago

Might I suggest another "march" or perhaps some hot cocoa and coloring books for those whose feelings are still suffering from the election?

MerriAnnie Smith 1 day, 10 hours ago

Repubs like to say that Democrats are sore losers.

Believe me, if Clinton had acted like Trump once in office I would not be proud or happy that she'd won, nor especially that I had helped her win.

Btw, Mr. Pitts... very good. Thanks.