Archive for Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Lawsuit challenges Trump’s ban on transgender military service

August 9, 2017

NEW YORK — Two LGBT-rights organizations filed a lawsuit in federal court Wednesday challenging President Donald Trump's tweets declaring he wants a ban on transgender people serving in the military.

The suit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington on behalf of five transgender service members with nearly 60 years of combined military service.

Transgender people have been allowed to service openly in the military since June 2016. Trump, in a series of tweets on July 26, announced that he planned to end that policy.

The government "will not accept or allow transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the U.S. military," he tweeted, contending that their service entailed "tremendous medical costs and disruption."

The lawsuit, filed by GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) and the National Center for Lesbian Rights, says such a ban is unconstitutional, denying transgender service members equal protection and due process.

Lawyers handling the lawsuit said they hoped the court would move swiftly to prevent a ban from taking effect, given the uncertainty that transgender service members now face in regard to their livelihoods and retirement benefits.

"The damage is happening now," said Jennifer Levi, Director of GLAD's Transgender Rights Project. "These service members were told in June 2016 they could come out and continue to openly serve."

The five plaintiffs — who were not identified in the lawsuit — serve in the Air Force, the Coast Guard and the Army. Their years of service range from three years to two decades, and include tours in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Pentagon had no immediate comment.

Named in the suit, along with Trump, are Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and other national security officials.

When Trump first tweeted his plan, Dunford said the military would not act on the tweets until a formal order to do so was issued by the president, who is also the commander-in-chief of the military. But a team of military lawyers has been pulled together to figure out how to handle the matter.

The American Civil Liberties Union says it told the White House on Tuesday that it intends to sue, and requested that relevant documents be preserved in preparation for the lawsuit.

Comments

Greg Cooper 2 months, 1 week ago

And the beat goes on. Chump redesigning American thought patterns. What a crying shame he is.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

What a damned liar he is........in his campaign he said that all LGB and Gay rights would be protected...............He is a damnable liar.

Richard Aronoff 2 months, 1 week ago

Here's an example of the government hard at work. I have a Facebook friend who is transgender. She is an Air Force veteran. While that lowlife rat Chelsea Manning is getting her transition paid for by the government, my friend has to pay her own way. Can any veterans out there explain that one for me?

William D'Armond 2 months, 1 week ago

I would like to chime in on this topic for a few reasons. I do not have anything against the LGBT community and fully respect their rights to live they way they desire.As a veteran, I understand some of the reasoning behind this decision. As a military service member you can be put in highly stressful environments that can not only cost you your life, but could cost everyone in your unit theirs. I do not claim to be an expert on the transition of a transgender person, but many are placed on anti-depressants, have suicidal thought, and may even take their lived. This is inherently dangerous for the them and other service members around them.

When placed in a combat environment, service members do not have time to worry about if the person next to you is going to perform or turn their weapon on you or themselves. There also comes the peace time conflicts that would require them to miss time from work due to procedures. The military is so successful because they way they train and prepare for conflicts. If you are constantly taking a member away from their unit for appointments, procedures, etc... this affect the unit. 1 person away, means the rest of the unit have to pick up the slack.

From a taxpayers perspective, why should the government pay for this? Gender transition is not cheap and in many cases take years to complete. Many transgender people cannot afford to go through this process without an easy way out. So they sign up for military service so taxpayers can pay for it for them. I don't believe that the government should be paying for any elective procedures unless it was caused by their service to our country.

I don't speak for every service member, but I think many feel the same way as I do, and they would say the same thing if you asked them.

Cary Ediger 2 months, 1 week ago

" I do not claim to be an expert on the transition of a transgender person"

You at least got that correct.... the rest not so much

William D'Armond 2 months, 1 week ago

Great rebuttal, I can tell you were the captain of your debate team.

Greg Cooper 2 months, 1 week ago

Let me put in my thought. it seems to me that every military member is constantly evaluated by his/her unit boss, and so should be at all times ready to carry out the job to which they are assigned. So, in my opinion, trans soldiers/airmen/whatever are under no more or less distress than their counterparts, if the unit boss is doing his/her job. Soldiers are trained to be a part of a unit, commanders are trained to detect signs of job readiness, so singling out any one particular group that you might find less than appropriate for military service doesn't seem to be logically correct. Just my thought.

Cary Ediger 2 months, 1 week ago

William D'Armond Thanks, never did debate though.

P Allen Macfarlane 2 months, 1 week ago

Bob,

It's reassuring that when you chime in on a topic, your response will always be predictable.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

It's all about sex with you conservatives, isn't it? When I used to go camping with friends, I slept next to many men, and we didn't have sex. We even went skinny dipping, and no one had any sex. We went to Colorado and New Orleans, and shared hotel rooms, and guess what. No one had sex. There were no group orgies. Even the married people didn't have sex until they got home to the privacy of their own bedroom. Do you have any relationships with the opposite sex (I am assuming your are heterosexual) where sex isn't involved? Seriously, get a hobby.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 2 months, 1 week ago

Are you ready to replace them? If you are too old, how about your kid. How about Trump's kids? Why don't they replace them?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 2 months, 1 week ago

Trump..........I have a reasonable question for the supporters of this idiot.

DO YOU HEAR WHAT HE SAYS???? DO YOU AGREE THAT HE IS RATIONAL.....?????

DO YOU THINK THAT 4 MORE YEARS OF THIS DOUFUS WILL BENEFIT THE COUNTRY??.

DO YOU REALLY SUPPORT THIS INCOHERENT NITWIT THAT HAS FLUMMOXED HIS WAY INTO THE WHITE HOUSE??.

DO YOU REALLY???????????.......................?REALLY???????????

(caps lock "off")

Bob Smith 2 months, 1 week ago

LJW, is it really in the public interest for you to exploit someone as unhinged as Fred?

Larry Sturm 2 months, 1 week ago

At least they are willing to serve and I thank them for that. TRUMP GOT DEFERRED HOW MANY TIMES BECAUSE HE WAS TOO BUSY FIGHTING STD'S.