Lawrence sorority student beaten, kidnapped for nearly a week after meeting man on social media, court documents allege

A Lawrence college student was kidnapped and beaten by a man she met on a social media dating site, according to allegations in a recently released court document.

An arrest affidavit filed in Douglas County District Court alleges a 20-year-old Lawrence woman left her sorority house on a Tuesday afternoon to spend time with a man she recently met on social media. The next Monday she returned, battered and bruised, after she was held against her will for six days and beaten by the new acquaintance in fits of jealousy, according to the affidavit.

As the Journal-World reported last month, Shane Steven Allen, 30, was arrested April 22. He faces one felony charge of kidnapping and four felony charges of battery.

Shane Steven Allen

The woman was taken to the hospital after she was returned to her sorority the morning of April 18 with visible injuries to her face, neck, chest, back and legs, according to the court document.

Over several days the woman — whose name was not released — was able to tell her story to police, taking breaks between interviews to rest, the affidavit says.

An arrest affidavit is a document filed by police explaining why a suspect was arrested. Allegations in an arrest affidavit must still be proven in court, and Allen is still awaiting a preliminary hearing where he can respond to the allegations.

According to the affidavit, Allen picked the student up at her sorority house around 2:30 p.m. April 12 and brought her to his Lawrence home, which the woman described as a trailer.

The two met using the dating application Tinder, the affidavit says, and they spent time together once before and “everything was OK.”

At Allen’s trailer, the woman worked on a school assignment that was due later that night. As she did homework Allen “hung out” and invited two friends — both men — over to his home. Both the woman and one of Allen’s friends smoked marijuana after they arrived, the affidavit says, and later the friends left.

Sometime during the night, the woman got up for a drink of water; Allen followed her into the kitchen and began accusing her of flirting with one of his friends, the affidavit says. The woman denied the accusations, explaining that Allen was present the entire evening and that her cellphone was not working, the affidavit says.

Insisting that the woman flirted with his friend and comparing her to his ex-girlfriend, Allen punched her in the right eye, knocking her to the ground, where, the affidavit says, he continued to beat her.

According to Douglas County Jail logs, Allen is over 6 feet tall. The woman described him as weighing more than 200 pounds, the affidavit says.

After Allen stopped beating her, the woman asked him to take her home, but, according to the affidavit, “Allen stated she could not go home until the swelling around her eyes reduced.”

The woman later told police one of her ankles was so swollen she was unsure whether she could physically leave at the time.

The next morning, Allen again refused to take the woman home, the affidavit says, and later in the day choked her until she passed out.

Another time during the six days, Allen pressed his knee to the woman’s throat as she was on the floor, the affidavit says. When she was interviewed by police, they noted “obvious bruising to her throat and jaw line, extending to her ears.”

During the six days, according to the affidavit, Allen never left the woman by herself and allegedly drove her several places, including to a McDonald’s, to one of his relative’s houses and to the house of one of his friends. The woman said she was kicked and strangled on other occasions during the time she was kept against her will.

Throughout the six-day period, the woman asked Allen multiple times to take her home, the affidavit says, and he denied each request, saying she could not go back until her face healed.

The woman told police she was afraid that if she left, Allen would kill her. She said that several times during the week Allen forced her to message her friends on Facebook, letting them know she was OK and that she would be home in a few days.

At another point Allen threatened to kill himself, putting a knife to his throat, the affidavit says. He also pointed the knife at the woman, causing her to fear for her life, she said.

The morning of April 18, the woman once more asked Allen to take her home, reassuring him she would not contact police, the affidavit says, and Allen agreed.

The woman was returned to her sorority house around 11 a.m. April 18 and was immediately taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, the affidavit says. Investigators noted the she had two black eyes, bruises and swelling on her head, face, neck and the rest of her body, broken blood vessels in her eyes, multiple scrapes and abrasions to her legs, knees, feet and more.

Allen is currently being held in the Douglas County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bond. He is scheduled for a preliminary hearing at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

If convicted of all five felony charges, Allen could face nearly 32 years in prison.

Update, May 11: This story has been updated to include the booking photo for Shane Steven Allen. In an email on April 25, Douglas County Sheriff’s Office Sgt. Kristen Dymacek said that Allen’s booking photo was “not required to be disclosed under the Kansas Open Records Act.” The Journal-World requested Allen’s photo again on May 10, and the sheriff’s office released the photo on May 11.