Victim of Friday shooting no longer hospitalized; suspect charged with attempted first-degree murder

A 27-year-old Lawrence man is out of the hospital and another man is charged with a variety of crimes, including attempted first-degree murder, after an argument early Friday morning at a west Lawrence home ended in gunfire.

Stephen Patterson was shot twice during the fight, in the 3000 block of Steven Drive, and was flown in critical condition to Kansas University Hospital. As of Monday afternoon, KU Hospital officials said Patterson was no longer hospitalized, according to a Lawrence Police Department news release.

Assistant Douglas County District Attorney Katy Britton on Monday charged Dashawn C. Clayborn, 22, of Kansas City, Kan., with attempted first-degree murder, automobile burglary, theft of a vehicle, attempting to elude police, criminal damage to property and driving while his license was suspended.

Clayborn was arrested later Friday morning after allegedly stealing a Honda Accord and leading Lawrence police on a high-speed chase that ended in a crash on K-10 near Eudora, court documents said. During the pursuit, Clayborn allegedly crashed through a safety barricade, causing more than $1,000 in damages.

Clayborn, who had a bandage wrapped around his right arm at his first appearance in court, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for treatment before he was booked into the Douglas County Jail around 11 a.m. Friday.

Douglas County Judge Pro Tem James George set Clayborn’s bond at $100,000. He is scheduled to appear before District Judge Peggy Kittel at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Both Clayborn and Patterson have criminal histories. Clayborn is charged with aggravated battery on and interference with a law enforcement officer in a separate ongoing case. Patterson was released from parole in 2009 after completing a sentence for aggravated assault, battery and drug possession.

The Douglas County Sheriff’s Department declined to release a copy of Clayborn’s booking photo.