Archive for Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Topeka City Council to consider public nudity ban

September 2, 2014

— The Topeka City Council is set to consider a ban on nudity in public places after a nude man strolled down city streets last week.

Councilwoman Michelle De La Isla requested the proposal be placed on the Sept. 9 agenda.

The Topeka Police Department and the Shawnee County Sheriff's Department say the act is legal. State law only prohibits public nudity "in the context of sexual arousal."

De La Isla says she received calls from worried constituents. She says no one wants their kids "exposed to naked people."

The council last considered a public nudity ban in 2005. That proposal wasn't seconded and died without a vote.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

I don't want to see a naked man any where. You know what? I am going to go ahead and assume this was a white man because otherwise the man would be in a lot of misery. Someone would have saw him spit on the sidewalk.

If there are no laws concerning public dress and behavior how far will people go? Well, so far I have not seen anyone that I would call outrageous or really out of line in that regard. How many times has this happened in downtown Topeka? This may very well be the very first case. Who knows why this man chose to do that but I would be interested in hearing his reasoning.

Leslie

Doug Weston 2 years, 11 months ago

"I am going to go ahead and assume this was a white man because otherwise the man would be in a lot of misery. Someone would have saw him spit on the sidewalk."

WTF? I have no idea what this means or what your point is.

Bob Smith 2 years, 11 months ago

How clever of you to drag race into this.

Clark Coan 2 years, 11 months ago

I remember going skinny-dipping when teen and it was refreshing and no big deal. I also remember "streaking" when in college (I witnessed it but didn't participate). I also believe there was a "nude-in" at Potter lake in 1970.

Are we too uptight about our bodies? People sunbath nude in Munich and topless on the Riviera.

That said I wouldn't want to see anyone walking around nude in Lawrence including myself now with a potbelly.

Bob Smith 2 years, 11 months ago

When I feel the need to get some sunshine on my yarbles, I find a non-public place to accomplish that task.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 11 months ago

I brought up race because it is a factor on who gets stopped by the police and for what. No, I would never infringe upon someones right to express themselves. You know, I do appreciate reading comments about my comments because it does get me to thinking about what I wrote and if I was right or wrong. Apparently people took pictures of this man so now I am wondering what they are going to do with those pictures.

There are many reasons why this man was naked. He might be mentally ill, he might be homeless and someone pranked him by taking his clothes. Who knows?

Leslie

Doug Weston 2 years, 11 months ago

Your comment on race still doesn't make any sense. Are you saying he would be more likely to be stopped by police for walking naked through Topeka if he were black or less likely to be stopped? Regardless, what does that have to do with this particular story? And, what does that have to do with spitting on the sidewalk? Is there a correlation between walking naked in public and sidewalk spitting that I'm not aware of?

Lawrence Freeman 2 years, 11 months ago

Of course another new law because 1 person does something stupid. That said, I would be afraid to pull that stunt. . . too much chance of being mistaken for a bald-headed big foot!